Onkyo TX-NR727, 626, 525 "official" owner's thread discussion - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 363 Old 12-30-2013, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joffa View Post

I just bought a 626 and i have a question. I have a Mac mini from 2009 without a hdmi port , instead i have dvi-hdmi cable connected to the mini display port. The problem is that i cant get the picture to work. Frist i had no picture at all but after i set the video source to hdmi 6 and audio source to optical i have picture during startup of the mini then it goes away and just becomes blue. Is it really that the onkyo recievers doesnt support dvi?

HDCP issue perhaps? Once had a similar issue with a projector and a ps3? Couldn't do nowt with it. frown.gif

7.1 IIz heightsOnkyo Tx-nr626 a/v receiver
Boston acoustics soundware xs se surrounds and Sub
Boston acoustics A360 Floorstanders with A25 bookshelf Centre.
Youview box, PS3, Apple TV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 363 Old 12-30-2013, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by j3yps View Post

I'm experiencing Video dropouts with my 727, same problem is happening when using my Mede8er Med100X3d and my PS3 connected to my Samsung PS60F5500 Plasma screen. i'm not sure what to do now. The problem isn't there if i connected the mede8er or the ps3 directly to the screen so i'm guessing the the receiver is the problem. Should i return the unit or is there any fix for this?

Onkyo 727 Latest Firmware - NO HELP
Onkyo Hard Reset - NO HELP

Anybody?
post #183 of 363 Old 12-31-2013, 06:48 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leebabins View Post

Is the NR727 worth the couple hundred more $$ over the NR626?

Anyone own the NR727? How is it?

I bought the 626 first and was happy with it for about one hour until I cranked up all seven channels during a movie, then it started clicking and clipping through the speakers, so I swapped it for a 727 and it had enough power for those serious Pacific Rim explosions. Otherwise the 626 is very good in a smaller room than what I have.
post #184 of 363 Old 12-31-2013, 07:29 AM

I've had the Onkyo 626 as replacement for 616 for a couple months now.

It worked decently all the while until recently where I experienced some problems with sound input.

Sometimes the receiver wouldn't "see" any sound from the BD player and would display "Analog" in the audio input.

Now for the last few days I saw a bigger problem: whenever I switch from a normal sound format (DTS, DD) to a HD sound format (DD TrueHD or DTS Master Audio), the receiver doesn't recognize this format and switches to PCM 2.0 audio input. (The other way around, if I have a HD sound format playing, then whatever I do afterward: stop playing, switch audio format, then the receiver does do anything and keeps being locked in the HD codec)

When I switch input source on my TV, then the receiver switches correctly to the HD format and I can switch sources back on the TV to the HDMI where the receiver in plugged in.

I must add that the TV is only plugged to the receiver with an HDMI connection and that it should not interact with the receiver in any way.

The TV is a Samsung LA40A650. It has CEC turned on for the moment. (if I turn it off, then the input switching trick doesn't work anymore)

The Bluray player in a Samsung BD-P1500.

I have tried different settings for enabling CEC on all the three elements but that did not improve things.

I have also tried to reset the receiver to factory default multiple times without success.

Any idea where the issue might be?

The fact that switching the TV source solves the issue lleans toward CEC problem but I don't understand why it failed now after 2 months of usage.

post #185 of 363 Old 12-31-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmsninja View Post

Solardadd, i got the TX-NR 626,
ps
I think I figured out the wireless headphone problem over the last few days, and will post for anyone else who might want to know. Basically, you have to run analog signals to the RCA jacks corresponding to the same input as the hdmi. For example, with the pvr input to hdmi3 assigned to tv/cd, I route RCA cables from the analogue output of the pvr to the tv/cd RCA jacks on the back of the receiver. Now, when selecting tv/cd for zone 2 input, the receiver will automatically use the analog inputs. Other units that have analog output are hooked up a similar way.

Has anyone found a better solution to the headphone question?

I bought this receiver so I could simplify with only HDMI connections. Now I find that I can't connect headphones and keep the speakers on too.

While I'm watching TV, sometimes my wife wants to listen along with wireless headphones while washing dishes. But if I plug in to the headphone jack the main speakers get cut off. I can't use Zone 2 with HDMI input. It seems like an omission from an otherwise great receiver.

I could run cables carrying analog signals from all my equipment, but it seems silly to have to do this. And my Roku 3 doesn't even have analog output, just HDMI.
post #186 of 363 Old 12-31-2013, 02:09 PM

Some additional information on my previous issue.

I have now figured out that most of my issues seem to be heat related.

When I put a fan in front of the receiver, then everything gets back to normal.

If I stop it, then every problem comes back in turn. One way to check how the status is degrading is by going into setup and seing how slow it gradually is to navigate until nothing works anymore on screen (but still does internally)

The amp itself is not showing so much heat on top of the unit. Moreover, there should be enough space for it to breath

As a consequence, I do not know if this is purely a heat problem or if this can be caused by a faulty hdmi board.

post #187 of 363 Old 01-02-2014, 10:58 AM

I have a Onkyo TX-NR525 I bought as a refurb from Woot a few weeks ago. I'm loving it except for a problem i'm having with a very noticeable amount of white noise when switched to Theater-Dimensional, Stereo or Mono. It does not occur in Direct mode. It also gets louder as I increase the volume. I like the T-D mode as I have a 2.0 set up.

It seems to only occur when the system is actively using it's DSP. For example, when listening to a DTS stream, I hear the noise kick in while the movie is playing (and in T-D or Mono mode), but stops when I hit pause and the DTS stream stops.

When I am using a stereo source (Stereo from PC over HDMI, stereo from RCA digital, Stereo RCA analog) initially there is no noise (before there is any audio signal sent to the receiver), but once I play a signal, it is ALWAYS there (in TD or Mono mode) even when I pause/mute the audio from the source.

I currently have a 2.0 with Polk Monitor 40 II's that Audyssey MultiEQ has calibrated as Large speakers, 10 ft away, -6db. Not sure if these matter, but here they are: Panorama off, dimension 0, center width 3, center image 2, listening angle wide.

I've tried unplugging ALL cables except power and speakers, and tried isolated power outlets with and without an old Monster Cable MP SW 200 Subwoofer PowerCenter, the noise is still there.

It just bothers me things aren't "perfect." Maybe I'm just being too picky with the equipment I have, but I'd like to know that it is not a problem with my specific receiver.

I tried searching, but couldn't find any other threads here or anywhere while googling.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Found a few threads regarding other Onkyo receivers with 'humming" and HDMI grounding issues. Even with every cable (including HDMI) disconnected except speakers and power, the power cable the only device plugged into a circuit, and the chassis ground to my copper piping I still have the noise/hum/buzz in T-D mode.
post #188 of 363 Old 01-07-2014, 08:52 PM

Hey yall!

Just wanted to see if anyone was having an issue with bluetooth connectivity via mobile phones. I have a brand new LG G2 that i've paired with my TX-NR626 via Bluetooth and can stream any audio I like without an issue. I've tried to pair my wife's brand new HTC One and cannot get the HTC one to find the receiver via Bluetooth. I've tried everything I can think of to get the devices to pair but no dice. Any ideas as to what the issue may be? It took me less than a minute to get my phone paired, but the HTC simply will not see the receiver.

any help is appreciated.

post #189 of 363 Old 01-08-2014, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopTierGoat View Post

Just wanted to see if anyone was having an issue with bluetooth connectivity via mobile phones.

No suggestions for your problem, but Bluetooth has worked fine for me with my Windows Phone.
post #190 of 363 Old 01-09-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:

Hey yall!

Just wanted to see if anyone was having an issue with bluetooth connectivity via mobile phones. I have a brand new LG G2 that i've paired with my TX-NR626 via Bluetooth and can stream any audio I like without an issue. I've tried to pair my wife's brand new HTC One and cannot get the HTC one to find the receiver via Bluetooth. I've tried everything I can think of to get the devices to pair but no dice. Any ideas as to what the issue may be? It took me less than a minute to get my phone paired, but the HTC simply will not see the receiver.

any help is appreciated.

Have you tried to pair using the remote app made by onkyo? smile.gif

post #191 of 363 Old 01-10-2014, 01:32 PM

Just an observation.  It is mildly annoying but not a huge problem, I guess I'm just wondering if this is normal behaviour or not.  I had a Denon AVR-E400 that I couldnt get to work with my Sirius account so I returned it and switched to the TX-NR626.  I have to say on first impression the sound is nicer on the Onkyo but the menus and settings seem archaic in comparison to the Denon.  That being said my Sirius works so all is good in the world again.

Regarding the HDMI switching and passthrough.  When there is no signal on the game input I get a blue screen but if there is no input on the others I get a black screen.  Also whil watching my Pace cable DVR when changing channels and sometimes between commercials it is as if the hdmi signal switches off momentarily and then switches back on.  I notice this behaviour because my TV shows the display again and mentions something about receiving the audio signal.

Any thoughts?  I mean its not like it happens mid show or during a movie so its not too annoying but if is the symptom of a bad HDMI board I would rather deal with it now than later. 

post #192 of 363 Old 01-11-2014, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Hey yall!

any help is appreciated.

How do you connect bluetooth? I have an LG G2 as well, but when I press or press and hold the bluetooth button on the front left of my TX_NR626, all it says is "Not Available" on the screen. I went into the receiver menu with the remote and went to Network. Bluetooth is greyed out, but says "Ready". Any ideas? Thanks.

UPDATE: Resolved, turned Zone 2 power off (not sure if this made a difference)and then got on the Onkyo Android App and selected Main => Bluetooth and NR626 went into paring mode. Took a minute or two of refreshing my phone but Onkyo eventually showed up and I was able to pair.

post #193 of 363 Old 01-11-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwpalgut View Post

How do you connect bluetooth? I have an LG G2 as well, but when I press or press and hold the bluetooth button on the front left of my TX_NR626, all it says is "Not Available" on the screen. I went into the receiver menu with the remote and went to Network. Bluetooth is greyed out, but says "Ready". Any ideas? Thanks.

As I have already said try the onkyo remote app to see if that works then work from there to see if that cures it?redface.gif

Update, checked app and it connects via wifi, not Bluetooth.

post #194 of 363 Old 01-11-2014, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've got a new 525..

Does anyone know how to change the value on the volume display? ie: Volume -29dB vs. Volume 46

I can't stand the non relative option and I can't change it to the dB value.

MY GEAR:

-Pioneer Elite SC-61 7.2 Channel Class D3 Amplification AVR*
-Oppo BDP-93 3D Blu ray Player
-Monitor Audio GX50 Piano Ebony Bookshelf Speakers (pair)
-Monitor Audio CT265-IDC Trimless In-Ceiling Speakers (pair)
-Monitor Audio GXW15, 15” C-CAM bass driver 650W D2Audio®* DSP controlled...
post #195 of 363 Old 01-11-2014, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejs71 View Post

I've got a new 525..

Does anyone know how to change the value on the volume display? ie: Volume -29dB vs. Volume 46

I can't stand the non relative option and I can't change it to the dB value.

Hi Ejs71, this feature is not available on the 525 (only 727).
post #196 of 363 Old 01-12-2014, 04:22 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi Ejs71, this feature is not available on the 525 (only 727).
J Chin.. Thanks!!! Would that be the same for the diplsay too? I can't seem to get the display to stay on the audio format ie: Dolby Digital.. it always goes back to the Input Mode. ie: Cable/SAT, or BD/DVD.

MY GEAR:

-Pioneer Elite SC-61 7.2 Channel Class D3 Amplification AVR*
-Oppo BDP-93 3D Blu ray Player
-Monitor Audio GX50 Piano Ebony Bookshelf Speakers (pair)
-Monitor Audio CT265-IDC Trimless In-Ceiling Speakers (pair)
-Monitor Audio GXW15, 15” C-CAM bass driver 650W D2Audio®* DSP controlled...
post #197 of 363 Old 01-12-2014, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejs71 View Post

J Chin.. Thanks!!! Would that be the same for the diplsay too? I can't seem to get the display to stay on the audio format ie: Dolby Digital.. it always goes back to the Input Mode. ie: Cable/SAT, or BD/DVD.

AFAIK, there is no menu that will change the display to constantly read the listening mode. I believe only the higher model 828 display a constant listening mode because it has two display lines.
post #198 of 363 Old 01-12-2014, 04:54 PM

Can anyone help me out because customer service has never heard of my issue before lol I bought the onkyo 626 about 3 months ago great up until yesterday. I was playing in net mode pandora volume about 60 and it suddenly cuts off and switches to cbl. The remote stops working and the buttons on the reciever don't work either. I press the on/off button and it brings up clear without holding cbl button down too. The reciever re-set wiping out all memory. I turn off and same thing happened after about 2 hours of net play. Today same again. I've tried the re-set manually. The reciever is open not covered in any way. I've downloaded latest firewall happened before and after. Any clues.
post #199 of 363 Old 01-12-2014, 05:37 PM

Quote:

Hey yall!

any help is appreciated.

The receiver is still most likely seeing or looking for your phone. To see your wife's phone you have to bring it within 3 ft of the receiver and hold down the Bluetooth button on the receiver until the Bluetooth light on the display begins yo flash. Then you can begin pairing on the phone. If it asks for a pass code it is usually 0000.

Hope this helps.
post #200 of 363 Old 01-13-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwpalgut View Post

UPDATE: Resolved, turned Zone 2 power off (not sure if this made a difference)and then got on the Onkyo Android App and selected Main => Bluetooth and NR626 went into paring mode. Took a minute or two of refreshing my phone but Onkyo eventually showed up and I was able to pair.

If USB or Network is selected as the source for Zone 2 then Bluetooth is not available.  I believe that they are basically all the same source.

post #201 of 363 Old 01-17-2014, 05:56 PM

~~Hi all, I am just in the process of setting up my new Onkyo 626 AV receiver, does anyone know if this receiver is capable of doing component video pass through?

I would like to have my system configured so I can just turn on the cable box, and I will get both audio and video through my TV, with out the use of the receiver or my 5.1 speaker system.

I tested the pass through functionality with an HDMI Device and it worked no problem. However, The HD cable box I would idealistically be using does not support it's HDMI port which forces me to use the component for video and either optical, L/R rca's, or digital coaxial for the audio.

Basically is the component (and some form of audio mentioned above) supported in a pass through capability?

post #202 of 363 Old 01-18-2014, 10:53 AM

Chromecast compatibility question with TX-NR626

I bought a refurb TX-NR626 on woot a while back and just set it up a couple of weeks ago.

As I was swapping systems I noticed my Squeezebox was not connecting and the remote unit display was not working anymore. Since these are out of production I thought I would try to use a Chromecast as a replacement since it will allow casting audio on my server using the Plex App and this would also support casting audio from the cloud with Google All Play music I am considering signing up for.

The Chromecast was working fine when connected to the TV but when I plugged it in to the Onkyo (PC HDMI input, if that matters), it seems to have borked the Chromecast - red light, only see "Chromecast starting..." message and even swapping to direct HDMI input does not work. I cannot get a factory reset of the Chromecast to work. I have seen reports of others using Chromecast with Onkyo's so wondering if this is either a function of the HDMI input I used (is the PC input any different than others?) or maybe something at issue with the receiver since this is a refurb unit.

BTW, This has happened to 2 units now since I bought a replacement and tried again as I did not think the receiver connection could have been what killed the Chromecast.

I contacted Onkyo last week and only got an auto-reply but no response so far.
I also contacted Google and looks they are going to send replacement units, which is pretty nice of them.

• So, has anyone used Chromecast with these new Onkyos?
  • Should I try a different input, maybe MHL instead of PC?
  • Thinking of trying with my HDMI switch in between so it's not a direct connection and may keep the Chromecast from being bricked.

Also, I have read that the audio cuts out if the TV is not on. If so, that's unfortunate because I was hoping I could use this for music without needing to have the TV on as with my Squeezebox. I did verify that this should not be tied to a receiver limitation as I can play music from my Roku with the TV off.
post #203 of 363 Old 01-19-2014, 09:13 AM

Hi - I was hoping the collected wisdom here could help me with a problem I've having with my brand new Onkyo 626.

I am connecting my PC to the 626 via HDMI from my AMD 7970 graphics card. This card is capable of outputing both video and audio - something I would like to do to make the most of HDMI's ability to carry various 5.1 formats that the 626 can decode. I initially thought that it wasn't working as the 626 seemed to be flipping between analogue, 2.0, and 5.1 settings (as per the 'information - audio' tab and the display. When I fired up a game however, the audio settled down to PCM 5.1 and worked fine. When i quit the game and went back to windows the same problem reoccurred - hdmi light flashes on the display and the 626 clicks as it moves between 2.0, 5.1, and analogue modes apparently at random. 

I have absolutely no idea why this is happening although have read some issues with AMD's Catalyst Control Centre although the version I am using (13.1) is supposed to be fine with receivers. I have tried uninstalling the Realtech audio driver (in case that was causing a conflict of signals but that didn't help. I am out of ideas and reluctant to use an optical cable as I can't seem to get Windows to recognise that as being capable of carrying 5.1 either.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem? Does anyone have a ny suggestions?

post #204 of 363 Old 01-19-2014, 09:37 AM

Another observation - if i don't move the mouse the 626 settles down on one format, i.e. the hdmi light stops blink and the unit stops clicking. Makes me think the graphics card is thinking the receiver is a second screen and interfering with the audio signal...?

post #205 of 363 Old 01-19-2014, 02:31 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by alibulloch View Post

Another observation - if i don't move the mouse the 626 settles down on one format, i.e. the hdmi light stops blink and the unit stops clicking. Makes me think the graphics card is thinking the receiver is a second screen and interfering with the audio signal...?

Responding to both of your posts, it's Windows and the application(or games in your case) that you are using. I have a htpc with windows 7 and xbmc, in the next month it will have an ssd w/ openelec but that's besides the point lol. Back to the problem at hand. Windows doesn't like to send audio to the receiver when nothing is playing which tends to cause the clicking/popping. Also when i watch a video through windows media player it will not upscale to 5.1 correctly, it only plays the 2.0 audio track unless I'm watching a video that has 5.1. Where as in xbmc I've set it to force stereo to all speakers but when on the main menu it tends to say analog or pcm.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
post #206 of 363 Old 01-19-2014, 02:32 PM

Liked: 12
On another note, I plugged the power cable for my Chromecast(plugged into Aux) imto the front usb to help clear some clutter on the back end.

post #207 of 363 Old 01-23-2014, 12:18 AM

Hey,

I dont know if this is a problem or not... but it's beign so loud when low frequencys are in stage. mean sounds are being so loud and as if being an earthquake...

Here's my setup and spec..

avr 626, Energy CF-70, CB-10, CC-5 and no sub btw. Audyssey Moive, Eq is on, Volume is set as Ligth...

Even I reduce the volume 10- sounds almost shake my bones...

Tell me guys whats the wrong I am doin?

Ty in advance.

post #208 of 363 Old 01-23-2014, 06:29 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icer Jo View Post

Responding to both of your posts, it's Windows and the application(or games in your case) that you are using. I have a htpc with windows 7 and xbmc, in the next month it will have an ssd w/ openelec but that's besides the point lol. Back to the problem at hand. Windows doesn't like to send audio to the receiver when nothing is playing which tends to cause the clicking/popping. Also when i watch a video through windows media player it will not upscale to 5.1 correctly, it only plays the 2.0 audio track unless I'm watching a video that has 5.1. Where as in xbmc I've set it to force stereo to all speakers but when on the main menu it tends to say analog or pcm.

I've spent two weeks trying to get 7.1/5.1/stereo to work correctly with all hdmi signals, and to play nice with the tv's, bluray, dish, pc, wd, ps4 and 727. I have all but given up. With the death of analog video and audio outputs on the receivers, one is at the mercy of the copy protection and all the other evil and automatic things hdmi does in the background. All of my problems are audio related, especially with the conversion/non-conversion of stereo to surround back to stereo tor silence between tv's and components. I fear the only solution is multiple receivers, or buy an older model that isn't stripped down to hdmi. Good luck.
post #209 of 363 Old 01-23-2014, 06:30 AM

Experiment with disabling the Audyssey stuff. It's essentially a sophisticated loudness control. You said "Volume is set at light" -- try turning that off and see what you get.
post #210 of 363 Old 01-23-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fist34 View Post

Experiment with disabling the Audyssey stuff. It's essentially a sophisticated loudness control. You said "Volume is set at light" -- try turning that off and see what you get.

I tried to disable audyssey all... But then sound becomes ordinary.... Sort of not quality avr I am using...

But on the other hand Sound is "roaring"...

May acoustic treatment cause that?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr727 7 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver , Onkyo Tx Nr626 7 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver , Onkyo Tx Nr525 5 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver
Gear in this thread - Nr525 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page