Onkyo TX-NR727, 626, 525 "official" owner's thread discussion - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-02-2013, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
My TX-NR626 just came in today. This thread is meant to be a discussion place for new owners to ask questions about these receivers.

TX-NR727 product page

TX-NR626 product page

TX-NR525 product page
kmsninja likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2013, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Latest Firmware:

TX-NR727: 1081-1110-0000-0302, released 12-13-2013
The 12/3/2013 update will address the following:
1. Corrects the problem of not being able to connect to Free Trial on SiriusXM Internet Radio *SiriusXM is only available in USA or CANADA
The 10/1/2013 update will address the following:
1. Adds support of Control4® Simple Device Discovery Protocol; The 8/28/2013 update will address the following:
1. Improves picture output of 4K up-scaling;
2. Improve reaction speed of app when using together main room and ZONE 2;
3. Corrects problem that could not connect hidden SSID by selecting "Direct Input" in manual wireless LAN
setup;
The 7/10/2013 update will address the following:
1. Corrects the problem of ZONE2 volume not working properly when using Onkyo Remote App for Android;

TX-NR626: 1081-1110-0000-0302, released 12-13-2013
1. Corrects the problem of not being able to connect to Free Trial on SiriusXM Internet Radio *SiriusXM is only available in USA or CANADA
1. Adds support of Control4® Simple Device Discovery Protocol; The 8/28/2013 update will address the following:
1. Improves picture output of 4K up-scaling;
2. Improve reaction speed of app when using together main room and ZONE 2;
3. Corrects problem that could not connect hidden SSID by selecting "Direct Input" in manual wireless LAN
setup;
The 7/10/2013 update will address the following:
1. Corrects the problem of ZONE2 volume not working properly when using Onkyo Remote App for Android;

TX-NR525: 1050-6110-0000, released 12-13-2013
1. Adds support of Control4® Simple Device Discovery Protocol;
The 8/28/2013 update will address the following:
1. Improve reaction speed of app when using together main room and ZONE 2;
kmsninja likes this.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:41 PM

Liked: 10
My 626 was set up yesterday. Working well so far and hope to get my remotes and everything working like before tonight.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tek24 View Post

My 626 was set up yesterday. Working well so far and hope to get my remotes and everything working like before tonight.

One of the things I did notice about the 626 was that Onkyo decided to not make it THX-certified. This was a bit of a disappointment.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:45 AM

I noticed that especially coming from the TX-SR800. I am very pleased with the sound thus far though and the $$ to get to the 727 and THX wasn't worth it for me. My 12 year old 5.1 speaker set up sounds pretty fresh again - maybe because of the calibration?
Old 05-04-2013, 10:17 AM

Hello all, I am new to the forum. I recently moved up from a 7 year old LG Home theater in a box set up to the 626. I set up the 626, and am pleased thus far. My next thing is to upgrade all of my speakers! I still have to set up my remotes, but will get that done this weekend. I look forward to interacting with all of you.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tek24 View Post

I noticed that especially coming from the TX-SR800. I am very pleased with the sound thus far though and the $$ to get to the 727 and THX wasn't worth it for me. My 12 year old 5.1 speaker set up sounds pretty fresh again - maybe because of the calibration?

I'm not saying it is bad in any way. My purchasing habits are not like most people. I just need to get a new one every year and I have to get the new model as soon as possible.

I was pleased to hear it, it does sound quite good, last year's 616 was very buggy when it shipped. I don't see the same issues with the 626. It's been quite solid since I installed it.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:44 PM

I just purchased the 626 & love it. My only issue: is there Bluetooth capability in zone 2 (powered) while using a separate input for the main listening area? I know i can use bluetooth in both zones (simultaneously), but cant figure if they can be separated. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audt99 View Post

I just purchased the 626 & love it. My only issue: is there Bluetooth capability in zone 2 (powered) while using a separate input for the main listening area? I know i can use bluetooth in both zones (simultaneously), but cant figure if they can be separated. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just so you know, I have not tried this - but in past Onkyo's NET and USB were considered the same "input". Bluetooth appears to be the same in this model.

This means you should be able to stream Bluetooth in Zone 2, as long as NET and USB are not used in the main zone. If you use one of those two, the receiver will switch Zone 2 to the same source.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rworne View Post

Just so you know, I have not tried this - but in past Onkyo's NET and USB were considered the same "input". Bluetooth appears to be the same in this model.

This means you should be able to stream Bluetooth in Zone 2, as long as NET and USB are not used in the main zone. If you use one of those two, the receiver will switch Zone 2 to the same source.

Thanks for the reply. From what I am gathering, you cannot do solely bluetooth to zone 2 because it will not accept a digital signal. You can run both simultaneously, but not separately. Looks like I will have to go with a bluetooth analog adapter. Any suggestions?
Old 05-06-2013, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well, this is the odd thing. NET and USB inputs in the past were converted to analog internally and they would work in Zone 2.

Bluetooth is really new - and it is not like the adaptor Onkyo sold last year. So it may be handled differently. My guess was that it would be handled as the same as a NET input, but now that you mention it, the source input code for Bluetooth is listed with the coax and optical inputs and not with the group for the net inputs.

As for a Bluetooth adaptor for analog, there are a few, but most of the ones I saw were small rechargeable boxes which would be a pain to use. What does Onkyo support have to say about it? They would be able to give you a definite answer.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm planning on Ordering this and paring it with Energy Take Classic 5.1 for my small media room (12ft x 10ft) Sofar the one review i've read on Amazon and your views seem to be nothing but good news smile.gif
Old 05-09-2013, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I have the Energy Take 5.0 speaker setup running with a TX-NR708. The sub was upgraded from the one that normally comes with it to the Energy S10.3. It's a great setup and those speakers are a fantastic value for the money.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:

I have the Energy Take 5.0 speaker setup running with a TX-NR708. The sub was upgraded from the one that normally comes with it to the Energy S10.3. It's a great setup and those speakers are a fantastic value for the money.

Sweet, all my parts will be in by Tuesday, I have the receiver and speakers coming in today, and my speaker stands, speakers wire and hdmi cables coming in by Tuesday. I'm about ready to get this room done for time being. Last upgrade will be a new TV which will most likely be a 60" Vizio.
Sent from my SPH-L710
Old 05-11-2013, 11:53 AM

Also what remote do most of you use or which would you recommend? My setup will mainly consist of a cable box(comcast x1), ps3(doubles as bluray player), xbox 360, and a home theater pc. As far as the tv atm i have a cheap 40" sanyo, but plan on getting a vizio 60" within the next couple months, or hold out a bit longer for the next model thats released.

Sent from my SPH-L710
Old 05-12-2013, 02:04 PM

I use a Harmony 650, which for the money isn't bad. You can spend about as much as you want on a remote. They make an adaptor to use is with the PS3, I'm not sure about the Xbox.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icer Jo View Post

Also what remote do most of you use or which would you recommend? My setup will mainly consist of a cable box(comcast x1), ps3(doubles as bluray player), xbox 360, and a home theater pc. As far as the tv atm i have a cheap 40" sanyo, but plan on getting a vizio 60" within the next couple months, or hold out a bit longer for the next model thats released.

Sent from my SPH-L710

For an IR remote, I use the stock Onkyo one. I usually use a network-based remote on an iPad when I listen to net sources.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:

For an IR remote, I use the stock Onkyo one. I usually use a network-based remote on an iPad when I listen to net sources.

Alrighty, I'll try the onkyo remote first, as I already have a Bluetooth remote for the ps3, and barely use my xbox 360 for anything but Forza lol, plus its a free remote xD.
I'll keep the Harmony 650 in mind for later, as it might be the best all round once I have my new tv and the new cable box installed, after all it's all about cutting down the number of remotes needed biggrin.gif
Thank you Both for your inputs! Sofar I have received my speaker's and Receiver, Everything else should be in today or tomorrow, now i just have to wait for my banana plugs to come in then I will be good to go biggrin.gif, I don't plan on tackling the install till Thursday or Friday evening.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:58 AM

TX-NR626 Net Input, no need for bluetooth in Zone 2 with Onkyo's downloadable remote app

I was having an issue with playing Pandora in Zone 2 via bluetooth. The distance was too great to get the signal outside. Also, bluetooth through the receiver itself would not allow for Zone 2 to be bluetooth withough Zone 1 also on bluetooth, due to it being a digital signal. I had hooked up an analog bluetooth adaptor, but the distance was too great to work.

I found the downloadable Onkyo remote app (iPhone 5). Playing Zone 2 through Net input allowed access to streaming audio (Pandora for me), which meant that Zone 1 could be on a different input. The issue I was having was that I did not have control of Pandora unless I went to the TV for the OSD. This remote allowed full control of Pandora over wifi. The sound was much better than bluetooth. The remote app also allowed for access to the music on my phone and total control to play it over the Net setting as well.

If you search for Onkyo in the app store, it is call Remote2 (free download). It takes some getting used too, but the control it provides is well worth it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqOlkkvz6D8
Old 05-15-2013, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I remved the 424 from the list, apparently there's been some model number inflation going on at Onkyo. The 525 is pretty similar to last years 414, the 626 like the 515, etc. all the way up to at least the 828.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does anyone know if the new Onkyo receivers offer HDMI auto-switching/auto source select? I've been using an Oppo HM-31 HDMI switch with my current HDMI receiver since it didn't have enough HDMI ports and so the girlfriend doesn't have to bother with switching sources on the receiver. I'm planning on upgrading to the NR626 and wondering if I can remove this from my system.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:20 PM

Liked: 11
The day it was available, I purchased a TX-NR626 for a second room after using the TX-NR1007 in my HT for the last few years.

I seem to be having trouble with the HDMI SUB-OUT. Only the MAIN OUT seems to be working. I can view my TV on the MAIN, but a projector on the SUB will not pick up a signal. If I swap the cables, I can see the projector on the MAIN and I can't see the TV on the SUB... so it seems to me that the SUB OUT is dead. I have futzed with the HDMI out settings and nothing lets me see both at the same time.

I realize this is a new unit, but is anyone else seeing this issue, or could check their SUB OUT?

Firmware is the shipping firmware number at the top of this thread... Ethernet is attached and working with the Onkyo remote app, streaming, etc., but if I go to the Firmware option, it actually keeps telling me it "can't check for firmware at this time" to which I kinda think, "why not?"

Dave

Be The Beer! BriansBelly.com
Old 05-16-2013, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebach View Post

The day it was available, I purchased a TX-NR626 for a second room after using the TX-NR1007 in my HT for the last few years.

I seem to be having trouble with the HDMI SUB-OUT. Only the MAIN OUT seems to be working. I can view my TV on the MAIN, but a projector on the SUB will not pick up a signal. If I swap the cables, I can see the projector on the MAIN and I can't see the TV on the SUB... so it seems to me that the SUB OUT is dead. I have futzed with the HDMI out settings and nothing lets me see both at the same time.

I realize this is a new unit, but is anyone else seeing this issue, or could check their SUB OUT?

Firmware is the shipping firmware number at the top of this thread... Ethernet is attached and working with the Onkyo remote app, streaming, etc., but if I go to the Firmware option, it actually keeps telling me it "can't check for firmware at this time" to which I kinda think, "why not?"

Dave

You are not alone. Firmware check for me doesn't work either. I guess because there simply isn't one available. I'm on a business trip at the moment, I can check the sub out in day or two if someone doesn't beat me to it.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:26 PM

I got everything hooked up and connected last night, I haven't calibrated the speakers yet but sofar I love it biggrin.gif I played some Forza 4 in DD 5.1
And am in love! I know after calibration it will sound a lot better.
Sent from my SPH-L710
Old 05-20-2013, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Just set up the 626 yesterday initially. . Using a 5.1 setup, it dropped my wifi, so had to reset the unit, ie factory defaults, and unplug for minute. Then after setting up again, working good. I am using ps3, Apple TV, Wii, and a DLNA network server (synology). I like the customization, and flexibility to rename the devices. Also using these tv and onkyo apps on my iPad. These apps are working well too. Am able to control the Motorola pvr and Samsung tv using the onkyo remote. Long setup time with a few complexities. The Audyssey MultEQ works well, and wasnt difficult though. Overall great sound, and there are several sound modes to choose from. Very good upgrade from my old stereo. Good value overall, as long as the wifi stays connected, and I don't havetoset everything up again.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:24 PM

My son has the wireless ps3 headphones for chatting with his buddies while playing. I would like play the sound through both the headset and the a/v receiver. Can this be done? I know we can have just chat through the headphones, but that's not ideal for his playing. We currently run the ps3 through hdmi, is there a way to play a second audio source, without losing the video from the ps3? Any advice welcome!
Old 05-26-2013, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmsninja View Post

My son has the wireless ps3 headphones for chatting with his buddies while playing. I would like play the sound through both the headset and the a/v receiver. Can this be done? I know we can have just chat through the headphones, but that's not ideal for his playing. We currently run the ps3 through hdmi, is there a way to play a second audio source, without losing the video from the ps3? Any advice welcome!

Some inputs like CD used to be able to display the last HDMI input while another source is playing. If you go into the settings and disable the HDMI input for the source you want to play while the PS3 is going and use an analog or optical input only it may do the trick. This is assuming the PS3 headphones get their audio directly from the PS3. You should be aware that the screen may blank for a few seconds when you switch sources - this could cause some strife if it interrupts a good kill streak in COD.

Unfortunately I cannot test it, but I do know units from a year or two ago did this with no problems - I don't see why it should change.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:32 AM

Thanks for the advice, will try it out.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:55 AM

Got second audio from ps3 input thru phono, but it was really distorted.likely would work for a record player though.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:52 AM

This weekend I bought the TX-NR626. I have a question about the bluetooth capabilities of it. I know that it works as a bluetooth receiver and I've gotten it to work with the devices we have pretty easily.

Does anyone know if the bluetooth should also be able to work as a transmitter so that you can connect stereo bluetooth headphones to it?

I've tried to connect the earpiece that I use for my phone as a test before buying a nice pair of stereo headphones, but I haven't gotten it to connect. The earpiece is the Motorola Elite Flip and it does support A2DP.

I couldn't find any mention in the manual of connecting bluetooth headphones so now I'm wondering if it's a bluetooth receiver only.

-Seth

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr727 7 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver , Onkyo Tx Nr626 7 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver , Onkyo Tx Nr525 5 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver