Pioneer 1121K upscaler - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-02-2013, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hello I just got my Sony BDP BX-59 bluray player delivered today. I played a DVD and the picture looked better than normal so I checked the product and it turns out it has an upscaler built in.

I actually want to use my receivers upscaler to upscale DVDs not my bluray player's.

Is there a way to turn off my bluray upscaler? I haven't got my receiver yet (it'll come in couple days) and once it comes and when I connect my bluray player to my receiver does the the receiver automatically take over the upscaling process and shut down the bluray palayers upscale?

Please help!! Thanks in advance!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-03-2013, 12:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian323 View Post

Hello I just got my Sony BDP BX-59 bluray player delivered today. I played a DVD and the picture looked better than normal so I checked the product and it turns out it has an upscaler built in.

I actually want to use my receivers upscaler to upscale DVDs not my bluray player's.

Is there a way to turn off my bluray upscaler? I haven't got my receiver yet (it'll come in couple days) and once it comes and when I connect my bluray player to my receiver does the the receiver automatically take over the upscaling process and shut down the bluray palayers upscale?

Please help!! Thanks in advance!!
The BD player will do a better job of upscaling DVD's then your AVR. That model is the Costco equivalent of a Sony BDP-S590 BD player. Usually you wouldn't need video processing in the AVR to upscale DVD's/BD's with a decent BD player. Most AVR's allow you to disable the video processing. If you want to go the other route you simply output at 480i from the player for DVD's.

Oppo Beta Group
post #3 of 5 Old 05-03-2013, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter

From what I read Pioneer 1121K has great upscaling. I haven't tried it yet because I didn't get it but Ive read rave reviews of the pioneer 1121k upscaler.

Are you sure my Sony bluesy player will upscale better than the pioneer 1121K?
post #4 of 5 Old 05-03-2013, 01:33 AM - Thread Starter

It also says the Pioneer ave video processor can goto 32 bit hdmi color deepness while my bkueray player can only goto 16.

The receiver I'm going to get uses Marvell Qdeo processor.

Also, i thought pioneer makes the best plasmas. So I figure they know about video processing?
post #5 of 5 Old 05-03-2013, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian323 View Post

It also says the Pioneer ave video processor can goto 32 bit hdmi color deepness while my bkueray player can only goto 16.

The receiver I'm going to get uses Marvell Qdeo processor.
Also, i thought pioneer makes the best plasmas. So I figure they know about video processing?
Your media content is only 8 bit, enabling deep color might produce a little less banding. You can compare the two and see which works better. Usually a BD player is configured and tweaked for best output, where as a AVR may utilize a decent video processor but not allow the same amount of picture adjustments or necessarily perform as well against the usual array of video tests. The Sony BDP-S590 BD player (aka BDP BX-59) has a good rep.

Oppo Beta Group
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page