Pioneer SC-1522-K, Onkyo TX-NR818, or Yamaha RX-A2020??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 05-04-2013, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a new home theater receiver. I've read good things about these three receivers, and would like to get feedback from others as to which they prefer and why. I am leaning towards the Pioneer if I can get the Costco deal on it for $599.

What are your thoughts?? Consider main usage is home theater movie watching, music listening, and multi zone use.

Pioneer SC-1522-K
Onkyo TX-NR818
Yamaha RX-A2020

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-09-2013, 02:24 PM

All 3 are good mid to top level AV receivers.
I have the exact Pioneer, Onkyo 808 and Denon 3311ci, but I haven't use Yamaha for at least 10 years.
The Pioneer and Onkyo are very different in UI, sound and calibration. Depend on the speakers you are using, the sound and calibration may not be much different, would be just matter of the cost.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-09-2013, 02:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 222

Unlike a few (many?) I think they don't sound the same and I have used a couple high-end Pioneers, Onkyo TX-NR818 and Yamaha RX-A2000 in the same room. My take is the Onkyo has more presence than the others. Such as a little more thump where the other two highlight the speakers directionality (more dynamic). In my den (2.0) I prefer the Onkyo in my dedicated room (7.2) I prefer Pioneer/Yamaha. The Onkyo grounds the sound with limited speakers and with more speakers than I know what to do with in the dedicated room the other guys bring movie tracks alive.

post #4 of 9 Old 05-09-2013, 04:09 PM

Liked: 13
Having the Yamaha RX-A1000 for a while now and having had the Pioneer SC-1522 for a little over a month now, here are my thoughts in a nutshell: the Pioneer is definitely the best bargain right now. However, if the prices on the Pioneer and the Yammy were equal or close, I'd stick with the Yammy. It is NOT worth $1600 or so when a nearly equivalent Pioneer is $599.

The Yamaha was way easier to set up and had a more natural sound out of the box. I also prefer Yamaha's snappy, easy to get around overlay GUI. The Pioneer has the ability to sound great, but it took a lot of work for me to get it right. Way more than the Yamaha. Also, Pioneer's specific labeling of the HDMI ports drove me nuts at first. But now that I've adjusted to the quirks, I'm finally starting to enjoy it. The Pioneer definitely has more bells and whistles than the Yamaha too.

Can you get the Yamaha for $800 or less? Grab it. (Good luck with that.) Otherwise the Pioneer is a great deal, if you can get used to the quirks.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-09-2013, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Get the SC-1522, you can get it at Costco for 599. Its a steal!!
post #6 of 9 Old 05-09-2013, 11:43 PM

Liked: 11
^^^^^^ +1

"Excuse me...What does God need with a Starship?" (Captain Kirk - Star Trek V: The Final Frontier)
post #7 of 9 Old 05-10-2013, 01:03 AM

Liked: 15
Personally I'd skip the Onkyo 818. Many seem to be satisfied but when I tried it out with my B&W 685s it just didn't sound as it should. Some told me I needed to spend more time calibrating it and messing with the settings but I just decided to sell it. There came a time where I figured what's the use when the Sony STR-DA80ES from 1997 sounded so much better. The Onkyo also gets warm quickly. I'd go with the Pioneer if I had the chance.

HDTV: Panasonic TC-P50ST50
Speakers: Bowers & Wilkins 685
Receiver: Sony STR-DA80ES
Blu-ray Player: Playstation 3
Power Center: Monster HDP 1800
post #8 of 9 Old 05-12-2013, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Bossert View Post

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a new home theater receiver. I've read good things about these three receivers, and would like to get feedback from others as to which they prefer and why. I am leaning towards the Pioneer if I can get the Costco deal on it for $599.

What are your thoughts?? Consider main usage is home theater movie watching, music listening, and multi zone use.

Pioneer SC-1522-K
Onkyo TX-NR818
Yamaha RX-A2020

Thanks!

I had both the 818 and 1522. Both are excellent receivers. I returned the 1522 because of HDMI issues. I just returned the 818 to upgrade to the TX NR1010. I think the onkyo has a livelier surround experience. I also prefer Audyssey room correction. Really though you'll enjoy either one. I think they are more similar than different.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-12-2013, 09:17 AM

Just want to emphasize that factor also involves the characteristics of your speakers and in which you want to reduce or enhance (i.e. have more warmth or brighter sound).
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Yamaha Rx A2020 9 2 Channel Network Aventage Av Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page