Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1145 Old 08-07-2013, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 64
My Airplay still won't work from my iPhone. Anyone else using AirPort Extreme having problems with this receiver?
Do I need to select something in order for airplay to work?

Also who is using the sound optimizer?
post #273 of 1145 Old 08-07-2013, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Do you guys know if it's possible to output both HDMI signals from a single source? I want to use my game console as bluray player, but I also want to send it through the 2nd output so I can disable all the processing to eliminate lag. Anyone tried this?
post #274 of 1145 Old 08-07-2013, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
helvetica bond: for airplay is your receiver connected to wireless? as well as your phone? from there do you go to your music on your idevice and click the airplay symbol?

I have an airplay extreme router and airplay has never given me issues.
post #275 of 1145 Old 08-07-2013, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 64
MarkAELSU, both devices are connected to wireless but I don't get the airplay symbol on my iPhone 5.
Im starting to think the airplay is defective on my unit.
post #276 of 1145 Old 08-08-2013, 01:31 PM

Liked: 12
I have a str-dh 740. It does overlay the volume level on the tv screen. It is a small black rectangular box in the lower right of screen, a small speaker icon and the volume level appear in the box in white. It is NOT from the tv but from the sony. It seems odd that the 740 overlays but not the 1040. Try setting all your video components to watch + listen.
post #277 of 1145 Old 08-08-2013, 01:42 PM

Finally got mine today. Been price-watching like crazy. Really lucky, but decided to call Best Buy and ask if they would price-match CompSource (which isn't one of their listed price-matching-eligible sites), and the guy agreed!!! When I went to pick it up and was chatting about upgrading from my 10-year-old Pioneer, he said I will be surprised by how little power this has compared to the Pioneer. Pretty sure he is uninformed, and not the least bit concerned...
post #278 of 1145 Old 08-08-2013, 05:21 PM

Liked: 11
I had the 840 and upgraded to the 1040 when I saw the price was better on compsource.com. Interesting people talking about there being no volume overlay on the 1040. I noticed that too. The 840 had it, but not the 1040. Must be a glitch. I'm actually happy it's not showing on the screen. I prefer to see my volume on the amp only.
post #279 of 1145 Old 08-09-2013, 03:51 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
My Set up- Sony 52xBR7 TV (hdm) Sony BD-380 (HDMI) Hr22 D*TV Receiver (HDMI) After Tweeking My system Settings over the first week of having the STR_DN1040. , I'm very pleased with the output and performance of the receiver.

the reason for my post is after reading the manual and Sony sales promotion of the great audio file capabilities -How Sony developed the "fish bone" ground to keep any stray interference Yaad,yaad!

Folks have Posted about not seeing a Vol Display (or) Mute ID on the tv-when adjusting the Sound level - That is Very true- the Volume Display is only shown on the AMP (SO) if your AV receiver is installed in a cabinet or behind a wall or closet out of view. You get NO indication of VOL level Up or down Displayed on the TV. This was left out for the "audio file" reference as noted above-IMOP.

For Me It Not a problem even thou my AV is out of view. I;m Happy with with it - If you go to the Sony Web site and compare this unit to the top ES receiver -For the price point of this receiver it is a great choice for the Average home.
post #280 of 1145 Old 08-09-2013, 04:01 AM

Has anyone had this issue with their STR DN-1040: When I play music from my iPhone 4S using the USB connection, I get sound out of all speakers. When I play music from my iPhone using the Bluetooth connection, I don't get any sound out of the rear speakers. What am I doing wrong here? Thanks in advance.
post #281 of 1145 Old 08-09-2013, 04:08 AM

Does anyone who owns this receiver know whether it has any form of aspect ratio control for upscaled analog video? I've heard that a lot of the A/V receivers out there upscale everything to 16:9 ratio, even 4:3 ratio analog video, with the result that the image output via HDMI is stretched horizontally. I know some Pioneer receivers have the ability to choose the output aspect to counteract this. Anyone know? The manual is not particularly enlightening in this regard.
post #282 of 1145 Old 08-09-2013, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Just unboxed mine.

One snag: my wireless code has several special characters in it, whereas the on-screen keyboard of the receiver only shows 4 special characters (@, #, etc.)

Does anyone know how to access any of the other special keyboard characters so I can enter my code? Can you connect a USB keyboard to this receiver as an input device?

(I've never run into this issue before, even on Sony's other products--for example their current Blu-ray players all have comprehensive on screen keyboards)

Thanks in advance for your help!
post #283 of 1145 Old 08-10-2013, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

One issue I wish I had been aware of before I bought is the way the pass through function works.

On my Yamaha Z7, the passthrough works regardless of input when the unit is in standby. A very useful feature, if one wishes to watch TV at night without surround. Therefore, I was glad to see the Sony supported this feature.

However, the 1040 ONLY does pass through for the last input you used before turning the unit off into standby. Therefore, if you used it for a BD and turned it off, the Cable TV signal will no longer pass through.

It's not a deal breaker, but it does make things a lot less convenient.
post #284 of 1145 Old 08-10-2013, 02:37 PM

My wifi password has symbols in it too, so it added a lot of frustration to the network setup I did earlier today. Annoyingly I tried going through the manual setup for wireless, and the network name field has a symbol keyboard with what I needed, but the password one still doesn't!

In the end I used PIN WPS to connect, after doing a search and finding out my Airport Extreme supported it.
post #285 of 1145 Old 08-11-2013, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, andersonshatch--I'll give it a try!

On another note, does anyone know if network is the only way to upgrade the firmware? I've owned other receivers who give you the option to update via USB (which might be a lot faster than the hour long firmware updates people are reporting).
post #286 of 1145 Old 08-11-2013, 03:40 PM

Just got my unit last week, love the sound, but my multimedia experience is going badly. I have no idea how to get the pandora, slacker, etc. to work. I know that it goes through the SEN, but setting up the account is as far as I can get. I can't figure out where to activate it, the FAQs are useless, and the forum is just a bunch of questions on how to pay. I have no intention of paying for anything, and if I have to do that to use pandora or any other streaming service, I might as well take the thing back now.
Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.
post #287 of 1145 Old 08-11-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldoworld View Post

Just got my unit last week, love the sound, but my multimedia experience is going badly. I have no idea how to get the pandora, slacker, etc. to work. I know that it goes through the SEN, but setting up the account is as far as I can get. I can't figure out where to activate it, the FAQs are useless, and the forum is just a bunch of questions on how to pay. I have no intention of paying for anything, and if I have to do that to use pandora or any other streaming service, I might as well take the thing back now.
Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

https://internet.sony.tv/customer/template/Home.vm/actionDone/LoginUser
post #288 of 1145 Old 08-11-2013, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I set the SEN feature up but rarely use it since I stream everything to my DN840 over AirPlay. A few have experienced issues with it but I've found it to be a very worthwhile feature. I also like that I can turn my Bluetooth on and from there turn my receiver on from my iPhone. From there I can turn my Bluetooth off and operate the receiver either through the TV SideView app or through AirPlay.

The sound quality is great and I have yet to experience any disconnect or lag, even with multiple devices connected to my wifi (I use FiOS here in MD)

"To sin by silence when we should protest makes cowards out of men."

Operation Iraqi Freedom Campaign Veteran, 06-08.

Operation Iraqi Freedom Campaign Veteran, 09-10.

Operation Enduring Freedom Campaign Veteran, 12-13.

post #289 of 1145 Old 08-11-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp2005fan View Post

Thanks, andersonshatch--I'll give it a try!

On another note, does anyone know if network is the only way to upgrade the firmware? I've owned other receivers who give you the option to update via USB (which might be a lot faster than the hour long firmware updates people are reporting).

If you go to Sony Support for the 1040 It will list any software Downloads - So far none are listed so I thing the only way to update is thru a wired or wireless connection- the Sony BD players are network update only so I this this would be the same.
post #290 of 1145 Old 08-11-2013, 06:30 PM

Thanks Westdc! You helped out this multimedia noob. Now on to figure out how to get my router to stream my music....
post #291 of 1145 Old 08-11-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldoworld View Post

Thanks Westdc! You helped out this multimedia noob. Now on to figure out how to get my router to stream my music....

The Manual tells you suggested settings for Win 8 and win 7 to turn it on and share over your local networkt.
post #292 of 1145 Old 08-13-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonslayr View Post

Ordered from compusource this morning, got confirmation it shipped at 1 pm today.. On a sunday ?? hmmm

Anyway, price was 455.00 w/free shipping.

Still waiting,, compusource was out.. Should be in this week.. I hope..
They did, however, bill the credit card..
post #293 of 1145 Old 08-13-2013, 08:58 PM
IRJ

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Just bought my 1040 a week ago. Seems pretty nice machine...but...I am now finding that after several hours it decides to power down sometimes all on its own. Anyone else seen this behavior?

Ian
post #294 of 1145 Old 08-14-2013, 06:11 AM
IRJ

Very strange I posted last night and this morning I cannot find the post...

I bought my 1040 a week ago and so far the experience has been good except......the last 2 nights after the 1040 has been switched on and used for 3 hours or so the unit begins to randomly switch itself OFF and need to be powered back on. 2 nights ago this happened 3 times and last night once. Anyone else had this experience?

Ian
post #295 of 1145 Old 08-14-2013, 06:21 AM

Have you looked to see if the sleep timer is set by mistake? Page16 of the manual - The other possibility might be a Over power or underpowered (AC) Draw - How many AC plugs do you have on the 15amp circuit A way to test that is Run a Extension Cord from a underused outlet (different AC Circuit ) If it still turns OFF - I would call Sony Support or email.

Also I see your Original Post it’s above this post smile.gif
post #296 of 1145 Old 08-14-2013, 06:26 AM

First time poster. I just got my 1040 yesterday and set it up lastnight. Pretty happy so far. I'm sort of a noob at this. I have an Iphone 5 and had no problem at all with airplay, it worked perfectly. I even walked to the other side of my house and I could still change song and volume. Now for the news nobody is going to like. I happen to work for a big tech wholesaler and got mine for $157. I figured at that price if somethign didn't work like I wanted or expected it really doesn't matter. I replaced a Pioneer VSX-1019 that got zapped by lightning along with my 50" Panasonic. Replaced the TV with a Panasonic TC-PVT60. I have Energy Take5 and a Sony SW. Not a huge Sony fan but that is what my company carries for the most part in the home AV business. The software update took about 30 minutes between the download and the update -update took most of the time. I only ranit for about an hour as it was getting late. Curious about the shutdown issue. It will get tested more this weekend with the BPL(soccer) geting started Saturday.
post #297 of 1145 Old 08-14-2013, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRJ View Post

Just bought my 1040 a week ago. Seems pretty nice machine...but...I am now finding that after several hours it decides to power down sometimes all on its own. Anyone else seen this behavior?

I had this happen once when there was no video signal on the channel my DVR was set to.
post #298 of 1145 Old 08-14-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djc11369 View Post

I had this happen once when there was no video signal on the channel my DVR was set to.

Hi guys.
Mine only seems to power down randomly when I'm using the HDMI pass through function. .no problems when using any of the other features.

Regards
Dave
post #299 of 1145 Old 08-14-2013, 03:24 PM
IRJ

Thanks for the thoughts. I will check re power also but no other piece of equipment has been affect ted.
Funny my first post wasn't there when I looked up the thread this morning I even refreshed the page.....

Ian
post #300 of 1145 Old 08-14-2013, 08:22 PM
IRJ

Some more info on my particular issue.
I have realized the "cut offs" happen after maybe 4 hours of continuous usage of the receiver. And they also seem to happen when I am using my Roku 3 using and HDMI hookup via Video 1.
The display on the receiver blinks a few times and goes dark and all video is lost though audio remains. The situation is rectified by hitting the power button.

Ian
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Sony Str Dn1040 7 2 Channel 1050 Watt A V Receiver
Gear in this thread - Dn1040 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page