Sony STR-DN1040 Official Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 1113 Old 09-03-2013, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased a strdn1040 i have bose 901's can anyone advise as to how i can wire up the 901 equalizer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1113 Old 09-03-2013, 09:02 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddienj View Post

I just purchased a strdn1040 i have bose 901's can anyone advise as to how i can wire up the 901 equalizer.

It won't connect to that receiver - It requires a a Pre-amp A/V Connection - I suggest you go to the bose site and search 901 amnd download the PDF manual for 901's and it will explain what is required for hook up.

I have a set of 901's as well on a HK amp (older) that is used in another room .
post #363 of 1113 Old 09-03-2013, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Howdy,

After setting up my HT with my STR-1040 receiver, I am having a few problems with the sound fields. When I scroll through them (while watching a movie) I can't seem to find one that is "just right". One may have too much bass (too "boomy"), the other the center channel is too low, and another may lack depth. Any advice on this? I have used the auto calibration and have played around with it a little but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

p.
post #364 of 1113 Old 09-03-2013, 02:25 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieper53 View Post

Howdy,

After setting up my HT with my STR-1040 receiver, I am having a few problems with the sound fields. When I scroll through them (while watching a movie) I can't seem to find one that is "just right". One may have too much bass (too "boomy"), the other the center channel is too low, and another may lack depth. Any advice on this? I have used the auto calibration and have played around with it a little but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

p.
I think the best sound field when watching a movie with surround sound is the HD-D.C.S.
post #365 of 1113 Old 09-04-2013, 07:18 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrorman View Post

I think the best sound field when watching a movie with surround sound is the HD-D.C.S.
Which one, I think there's studio, theater, and dynamic?
post #366 of 1113 Old 09-05-2013, 12:21 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by beazy125 View Post

Which one, I think there's studio, theater, and dynamic?

Studio.
post #367 of 1113 Old 09-05-2013, 05:34 PM

Just received this receiver a couple days ago and love it, but I did have one question. Do you guys know if there is a "night mode"? I see it listed in the features, but I don't see where to turn it on.

Thanks
post #368 of 1113 Old 09-06-2013, 06:56 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman15 View Post

Just received this receiver a couple days ago and love it, but I did have one question. Do you guys know if there is a "night mode"? I see it listed in the features, but I don't see where to turn it on.

Thanks
Dan , I think you're talking about the feature that allows you to hear things at a lower volume that you normally hear at higher volumes? I believe that when you press the "home" button on your controller and then click on "settings" , I believe it is either under "audio" or "HDMI" check out both of those and each option in there has a description and you will find it somewhere in there. Let us know how it turns out or if we can assist you more.
post #369 of 1113 Old 09-06-2013, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 32
A friend of mine picked up this receiver last weekend and he is trying to get it to "pass through" the HDMI signal to both outputs when the receiver is in "standby" mode. The receiver will only pass the signal through HDMI 1.

Are there any options to make both HDMI outputs function when the receiver is in standby mode?

Speakers: Martin Logan Montis, EM C2, Dual Depth I Subs, JBL S38 surround (upgrading soon) | Processor: Yamaha CX-A5000 | Amp: Sunfire TGA-5400 | Sources: DirecTV HR34, HTPC, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-103, PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Wii U | Television: Panasonic 65VT50 | Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate
post #370 of 1113 Old 09-06-2013, 10:42 AM

Hello,
I own the DN840 with Cabasse Eole 3 : perfect !
Does someone know how to use "night mode" ? I always use A.F.D Auto mode.
Thanks !
post #371 of 1113 Old 09-06-2013, 12:49 PM

Just got the STR-DN1040 today. Can anyone confirm that the DLNA functionality is limited to music only, and does not stream video as well?

Also, the manual states that 100w RMS is achieved with 0.09% THD and a 6 ohms. I want to set those settings up on the receiver so not to overpower my Energy Take Classic 5.1 set as they are rated up to 100w RMS and 8 ohms only. Anyone know how to accomplish this?
post #372 of 1113 Old 09-06-2013, 02:01 PM

I am in using pass-thru in standby mode and whenever I change the input source, the receiver turn on.
Is there a setting to change the input source without power on?
post #373 of 1113 Old 09-06-2013, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barton View Post

Just got the STR-DN1040 today. Can anyone confirm that the DLNA functionality is limited to music only, and does not stream video as well?

Also, the manual states that 100w RMS is achieved with 0.09% THD and a 6 ohms. I want to set those settings up on the receiver so not to overpower my Energy Take Classic 5.1 set as they are rated up to 100w RMS and 8 ohms only. Anyone know how to accomplish this?

I have the same setup. I called Energy when I bought my speakers, the tech said if the speakers are set to small it should be fine. I also have the crossover frequency set to 120Hz. That's all he said to do, hope this helps.
post #374 of 1113 Old 09-07-2013, 07:54 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 1418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barton View Post

1, Confirmed. Try video streaming to a 3rd party device (eg. AppleTV) that is connected via HDMI to the AVR.
2. The only way to "set it up" is to simply not raise the volume level too loud. smile.gif

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #375 of 1113 Old 09-07-2013, 08:10 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopycool View Post

I am in using pass-thru in standby mode and whenever I change the input source, the receiver turn on.
Is there a setting to change the input source without power on?

This is normal and to be expected. As noted in your Owner's manual (image below), only the LAST source selected will pass through when the AVR is in standby.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
post #376 of 1113 Old 09-07-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post

MarkAELSU, both devices are connected to wireless but I don't get the airplay symbol on my iPhone 5.
Im starting to think the airplay is defective on my unit.

Not sure if you ever got this sorted but I had loads of problems with this. Worked sometimes. Dropped on. Dropped off again.

Anyway, due to some other internet drops outs I decided to upgrade my router from the piece of **** free one my provider supplied me with by default. Airplay works seamlessly now. So may not be the AV Receiver's fault...
post #377 of 1113 Old 09-07-2013, 01:55 PM

Hello boys and girls.

I'm a weird one in that I am using my STR-DN1040 as a stereo amplifier rather than an cinema app. This may seem complete overkill in some ways (since I don't use a lot of the functionality) and a terrible idea in others (cause the audio purists will tell me an AV receiver is no match for an equivalently priced stereo amp). However it works for me because my main requirement was to control my music wirelessly and stereo amps don't do this and the cost of a stereo amp + apple express for airplay + radio wasn't far off the price of this and the convenience of an all in one unit is so much better.

Anyway it's all working beautifully, sits out of sight in my media cupboard and controls a number of speakers around the house and my sub standard hearing can't notice a difference. So all happy. Love being able to turn it on and off remotely. However I have a couple of gripes:

1) I use the "MediaRemote" and "TV SideView" apps to control this (Sony, why can't you consolidate these into one app?!?), and also noticed you can connect to it's IP address to change wireless settings. Looks like Sony also has a much more featured one called "ES Remote" but doesn't work with this model :-( Presume no one's had any success getting this to work with STR-DN1040? Would be nice to have a full remote setting either through a phone app or a browser as I don't have this hooked up to a TV and occasionally have to unplug it and drag it nearer a TV when I want to do any more than the basics (e.g. change settings or radio presets), which is painful. Any other suggestions here? It's too long a distance to stretch an HDMI cable but did noticed today it has a yellow TV out cable I hadn't noticed today so will go an buy an extra long A/V cable to allow me to plug it in to nearest TV without having to unwire it but would prefer not to even do that.

1) Airplay doesn't seem to be a standard input source (not selectable from source control or any of the remotes), but instead it overrides the current input method when you use it. All fine, but I can't seem to find a way to remotely switch it back to regular inputs (e.g. Radio) after I've finished with Airplay. Instead I have to go to the actual unit and use the "Input selector" knob to do this. Am sure I'm just missing the obvious so anyone any ideas of how to do this remotely?

Also wish they'd given us the ability to have a powered zone 2 if not using the full surround sound - such a waste :-( Could buy another low powered amp relatively cheaply but again removes the wireless control and one unit simplicity. Ah well, guess it is cheaper than some of their other amps so got to lose something for that.
post #378 of 1113 Old 09-08-2013, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post

Just got our DN1040 this week, and hooked it up.

We are using HDMI over CAT5 to distribute the AV to other rooms in the house. The one problem we're seeing is that audio is only getting sent if the input from the device being used is HDMI. For optical or analog input, the sound comes out of the speakers attached to the amp, but not over HDMI. Internet radio is the same. If the source is connected via HDMI, it works fine. I can't see anything in the manual that says this shouldn't work; is the amp defective, or am I missing something?

Well, I found something in the manual that appears to confirm that non-HDMI inputs are not sent out over HDMI, although it's well hidden and not at all obvious:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Operating Instructions, page 28 
Analog video signals input to the receiver’s VIDEO jack or COMPONENT VIDEO jacks can be output as HDMI signals (page 21). Audio signals are not output from an HDMI OUT jacks while the image is being converted.

So, we got a new DVD player, and now nearly everything is using HDMI inputs.

There was a slight hiccup, the video out stopped for one or two inputs, but we did a factory reset, and everything seemed fine, until today. Last night, I hooked up a Raspberry Pi, running XBMC, and that was working OK, as were the other inputs. This morning, I got no video output from any HDMI input (audio was OK). The one remaining non-HDMI input had video output. So, I did a factory reset, again, and now the amp doesn't turn on at all. I've removed power, and left it for several minutes. When I plug the power back in, nothing happens for a while, then the green power light on the front comes on, but the amp won't turn on.

Unless there's some other way to reset, I think it's going back, first to be replaced to see if it's a faulty model rather than a general problem.
post #379 of 1113 Old 09-08-2013, 02:42 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post

Well, I found something in the manual that appears to confirm that non-HDMI inputs are not sent out over HDMI, although it's well hidden and not at all obvious:
So, we got a new DVD player, and now nearly everything is using HDMI inputs.

AFAIK, this is true for all AVRs ... on Denon models the setting is known as "HDMI Audio Out" for that very reason. smile.gif

post #380 of 1113 Old 09-08-2013, 09:14 AM

I purchased my DN1040 In the U.S. and live in Canada.Seems like the SEN services including internet radio will not work and im assuming it detects im out of the U.S. and prevents the services from running.Anyone know a way around this?Any help would be great.
post #381 of 1113 Old 09-08-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BazzaDP View Post

It's too long a distance to stretch an HDMI cable but did noticed today it has a yellow TV out cable I hadn't noticed today so will go an buy an extra long A/V cable to allow me to plug it in to nearest TV without having to unwire it...

Well that didn't work, in case anyone else thinking of doing the same, and checking the manual revels why:
Quote:
You can watch the selected input image when you connect the HDMI OUT or MONITOR
OUT jack to a TV. You can operate this receiver using a GUI (Graphical User Interface).
GUI is only for HDMI OUT A and HDMI OUT B.

I guess the GUI is SOOO revolutionary, Sony can only let you see it using the full quality of HDMI.

10m long HDMI cables do seem quite reasonably priced which I hadn't expected so guess I'll get one of them. Should have checked that out first I suppose before wasting money on composite cables.
post #382 of 1113 Old 09-09-2013, 04:33 AM

How is the STR-DN1040 front panel? Is it plastic or metal? I cant find the answer to this little detail anywhere.
post #383 of 1113 Old 09-10-2013, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeferd View Post

How is the STR-DN1040 front panel? Is it plastic or metal? I cant find the answer to this little detail anywhere.

Anyone? Why on earth there' s no information on this anywhere? They won't answer me this even from the web shop where I'm thinking of buying it. Simple question: plastic or metal front?
post #384 of 1113 Old 09-10-2013, 10:21 AM

For my DN840, display zone is transparent plastic and over/under is kinf of alliage (like aluminium).
post #385 of 1113 Old 09-10-2013, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I just found this.
http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/surprise-sony-says-hdmi-2-0-is-just-a-firmware-update-away/

Since the 1040 does upscale to 4K I wonder if we could get the HDMI 2.0 firmware update??
post #386 of 1113 Old 09-12-2013, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

It's quiet in this thread. Anyway new update for the 1040, any ideas what it does?
post #387 of 1113 Old 09-12-2013, 04:28 PM

I was invited by Sony to a backstage business session at the IFA in Berlin. They confirmed that not only their X9 4k TVs but also the STR-DN1040/840 will get a firmware update that will enable HDMI 2.0 until end of the year.

The firmware update v1072 that has just been released does not yet contain the HDMI 2.0 update of course. There is a changelog on Sony's support site:

- DLNA® devices seek function
- Party mode function
- STR operation with iPod/iPhone (I wonder what that means)
- GUI (Graphical User Interface) for the WPA/WPA2 settings

@greeferd: The front is plastic but with the usual brushed-aluminium look. The same is true for the 840 btw. If you want a metal front on a Sony AVR, you must opt for one of the ES series, except for the 2800ES, which also has a plastic front only.
post #388 of 1113 Old 09-12-2013, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Deuteronomy View Post

I was invited by Sony to a backstage business session at the IFA in Berlin. They confirmed that not only their X9 4k TVs but also the STR-DN1040/840 will get a firmware update that will enable HDMI 2.0 until end of the year.

The firmware update v1072 that has just been released does not yet contain the HDMI 2.0 update of course. There is a changelog on Sony's support site:

- DLNA® devices seek function
- Party mode function
- STR operation with iPod/iPhone (I wonder what that means)
- GUI (Graphical User Interface) for the WPA/WPA2 settings

@greeferd: The front is plastic but with the usual brushed-aluminium look. The same is true for the 840 btw. If you want a metal front on a Sony AVR, you must opt for one of the ES series, except for the 2800ES, which also has a plastic front only.

Thanks! Just updated mine, takes a little time. Great news about th pe HDMI 2.0. I hope my new W900 gets the HDMI 2.0 as well.
post #389 of 1113 Old 09-12-2013, 04:59 PM

That is not going to happen. The W900 supports no video modes that would require HDMI 2.0, so an HDMI 2.0 update for this TV would be completely pointless.
post #390 of 1113 Old 09-12-2013, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I purchased a 1040 earlier today after reading some positive reviews. I have a Denon AVR-3808CI right now, but I wanted 3D and 4K support.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Sony Str Dn1040 7 2 Channel 1050 Watt A V Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page