Sony STR-DN1040 Official Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-21-2013, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi,

I'm still new to the STR-DN1040. I have an EU model and have some issues with the HDMI.

I have a SAMSUNG D6530 TV, and whenever I enable HDMI CEC I cant seem to make everything work fine. For example, when on TV function, the TV's speakers are automatically off, and using the volume up/down bring the Anyone+ volume options, but no sound is heard from the reciever. Any ideas? CEC shows "AV AMP2" - is this correct?

Also, the pass-through is not working properly (i think). I have a set-top box which is connected using HDMI, when the reciever is on, the sound is heard from the speakers correctly, when i turn off the reciever, the audio goes automatically to the TV with the image, but after like 30 seconds a blank screen is shown and audio and video are off. i have pass-through enabled to AUTO (no ON option) and HDMI Control is on. Tried with both automatic standbay but no luck.

Also, does anyone knows if I can stream a custom online station to my reciever (for example one that i want to stream from my pc).

or any other way to stream my PC's audio to the reciever wirelessly (DNLA works fine but only for content that I want) What about if i want to stream youtube's audio?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2013, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 34
So I need to replace my dead Denon, and am considering the STR-DN-1040. One thing that I noticed on review is that this unit, as well as many other newer units, offers menu setup through HDMI (only?).

I have an older Mits SD RPTV (no HMDI)

My question is this:

IF an HDMI connection is the ONLY way to get to the menu setup on the TV, can a HDMI to Component adaptor be used to plug into the TV?

Samsung UN65HU8550FXZA
Yamaha TSR-6750WA
Sony S6200
Dish 211K
JM lab speakers
Harmony Ultimate remote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Weird. I had a 5 speaker set up, but ever since the last update it seems I am not using my center channel for voices. Some tv shows sound normal, but then commercials sound distant. Other shows sound distant in their entirety. Tried resetting fields, re testing speakers, nothing helps.
My 5 speakers are 2 front, 2 surround, 1 center front.
PS3 seems fine, this is noticed when on fios.
Any thoughts?
Old 11-25-2013, 12:34 AM

Liked: 11
Press AMP Menu on remote and then use arrows to select options.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMike View Post

So I need to replace my dead Denon, and am considering the STR-DN-1040. One thing that I noticed on review is that this unit, as well as many other newer units, offers menu setup through HDMI (only?).

I have an older Mits SD RPTV (no HMDI)

My question is this:

IF an HDMI connection is the ONLY way to get to the menu setup on the TV, can a HDMI to Component adaptor be used to plug into the TV?
Old 11-25-2013, 03:35 AM

hey im kind of new to this home theater stuff but i was looking to create one for a reasonable price will this receiver work with this speaker system

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=109&cp_id=10906&cs_id=1090601&p_id=10565&seq=1&format=2

and if so what kind of cords would i need to buy if i wanted to buy some speaker stands for the 4 speakers (i dont want to wall mount) thanks for the help.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngvuanh View Post

Press AMP Menu on remote and then use arrows to select options.

What are the options?

Samsung UN65HU8550FXZA
Yamaha TSR-6750WA
Sony S6200
Dish 211K
JM lab speakers
Harmony Ultimate remote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Funny, it reconnected on its own smile.gif
Posting here did help.smile.gif
Old 11-28-2013, 08:20 PM

Hello Friends, I became the proud owner of this str-dn1040 2 days ago. I had the Sony Muteki system before and it worked awesome but won't let the 3d pass through. When I hooked up my new STR-DD1040 my subwoofer won't work. My older system had the speperate amplifier for subwoofer connected to my AV receiver via systom control jack. since the new unit doesnt have the system control my subwoofers aren't working. I tried to connect my subwoofers directly to STR-DN1040 Subwoofer out phono plugs and nothing happening. I am not sure If I have to buy an amplifier to get my subwoofer working??? If anyone using this can tell me how did you set up the subwoofer(direct or via another amp) I will be very thankfull.
Old 11-29-2013, 03:06 PM

Just picked this unit up the other day from the local Future Shop for $439.99. I hooked it up last night and am confused as to how to correctly hook up a 5.1 system. I am using Energy Micros and I have a decent sized room. I initially hooked up the rear speakers into the rear surround ports; however, when I went run DCAC, it gave me a Code 33, stating that I didn't have surround speakers hooked up. I manually test toned and I got hits off of all of the speakers. But it refused to do the DCAC setup. I check Sony's eSupport site and in a roundabout way, it states that if you don't have 7 speakers, then your rear surround have to go into the surround ports - not the rear surround ports.

So here's the thing: am I getting true 5.1 sound? Am I getting rear surround sound even if I am in the (side?) surround ports? I've got everything hooked up via HDMI and whenever I switch sources, it never seems like I'm getting a 5.1 signal. Sure, when I play GTA 5 or watch Netflix with a 5.1 soundtrack, it sounds like I'm getting 5.1 sound. However, the display shows Dolby Digital 3.1/2. Is that right? Also, any advice re: crossover levels and equalizer levels would be most appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 11-29-2013, 04:15 PM

Liked: 11
where was it that you bought it for that low? BB has it for 529?
Old 11-29-2013, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just got my 1040 hooked up and dialed in.....
Setup was a breeze, GUI is a huge upgrade from the 1030?
Once powered back on unit called for a software update, so did that (took about a half an hour).
I've had NO issues besides the normal learning curve of a new/unfamiliar unit.
Wifi works perfectly, AirPlay and Bluetooth as well.
No HDMI issues..
So far very impressed with this unit....

StayThristyMyFriends
Old 11-29-2013, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member

I gave up on the Sony and purchased the Yamaha 6750
For $390

Samsung UN65HU8550FXZA
Yamaha TSR-6750WA
Sony S6200
Dish 211K
JM lab speakers
Harmony Ultimate remote
Old 11-30-2013, 09:24 AM

I have a stupid question,
I bought this receiver on black Friday. I set up everything and I consider myself a tech savy guy. I hooked up both of my polk audio psw505 subs to the LFE but I am getting no bass.
Also in the GUI when setting up the speaker option I see no option to select a 7.2 surround sound set up. I am just wondering if I am missing something here or did I make a simple mistake.
Thank you,
Jason
Old 11-30-2013, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggalo23451 View Post

I have a stupid question,
I bought this receiver on black Friday. I set up everything and I consider myself a tech savy guy. I hooked up both of my polk audio psw505 subs to the LFE but I am getting no bass.
Also in the GUI when setting up the speaker option I see no option to select a 7.2 surround sound set up. I am just wondering if I am missing something here or did I make a simple mistake.
Thank you,
Jason
Well I'd probably start by checking for a firmware update....
I think you can only use 7.1... The .2 is really .1 as the two sub outputs are exactly the same.

DreamCatcher

StayThristyMyFriends
Old 11-30-2013, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's another stupid question..... how do I get the Media Remote app to work with the 1040?
I had it working on the 1030 and a sony bluray player but can't figure out the 1040 interface....

edit: well apparently Media Remote app doesn't work with the 1040...
from what I gather there are two other apps that sort of work with the 1040....
oh boy.... that's a little strange

StayThristyMyFriends
Old 11-30-2013, 07:49 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Fugger View Post

Just picked this unit up the other day from the local Future Shop for $439.99. I hooked it up last night and am confused as to how to correctly hook up a 5.1 system. I am using Energy Micros and I have a decent sized room. I initially hooked up the rear speakers into the rear surround ports; however, when I went run DCAC, it gave me a Code 33, stating that I didn't have surround speakers hooked up. I manually test toned and I got hits off of all of the speakers. But it refused to do the DCAC setup. I check Sony's eSupport site and in a roundabout way, it states that if you don't have 7 speakers, then your rear surround have to go into the surround ports - not the rear surround ports.

So here's the thing: am I getting true 5.1 sound? Am I getting rear surround sound even if I am in the (side?) surround ports? I've got everything hooked up via HDMI and whenever I switch sources, it never seems like I'm getting a 5.1 signal. Sure, when I play GTA 5 or watch Netflix with a 5.1 soundtrack, it sounds like I'm getting 5.1 sound. However, the display shows Dolby Digital 3.1/2. Is that right? Also, any advice re: crossover levels and equalizer levels would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

I believe that you're supposed to connect your rears to the ones marked "Surround" if you're using 5.1. You should be fine though if you're getting sound out of all of them and the receiver is showing 3.1/2 That's how Sony receivers display 5.1
Bob Fugger likes this.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepNutz View Post

I believe that you're supposed to connect your rears to the ones marked "Surround" if you're using 5.1. You should be fine though if you're getting sound out of all of them and the receiver is showing 3.1/2 That's how Sony receivers display 5.1

Awesome, thanks! I know that this is a stupid question, but how should I set crossovers and EQs?
Old 11-30-2013, 09:56 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Awesome, thanks! I know that this is a stupid question, but how should I set crossovers and EQs?

I haven't even got that far with mine. I've only done the basic calibration and haven't messed with anything else yet.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:58 PM

I did the firmware update and messing around the speaker settings in the gui. Needless to say I got it working. Wife was surprised when the subs started working lol
Old 12-01-2013, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:

Thanks!
A 5.1 system has surround speakers, which belong on the sides, even with or slightly behind the listener. A 7.1 system adds the rear speakers. You can put the surrounds in back if you want in a 5.1 system, but you still connect them to the surround terminals on the AVR.

3/2.1 is correct. 3 = three speakers in front. 2 = two surrounds. .1 = one sub.
Bob Fugger likes this.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:12 AM

no display on tv.  I have poked every button and every combination of buttons.  older tv with rca type input jacks does not display menus so I cannot adjust anything.  will a an hdmi converter work?

Old 12-02-2013, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtowneben View Post

no display on tv.  I have poked every button and every combination of buttons.  older tv with rca type input jacks does not display menus so I cannot adjust anything.  will a an hdmi converter work?

I'd invest in a new tv.
Bob Fugger likes this.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:

You can probably get an HDMI-to-RF and just hook it thru your cable input, BWAHAHA!!

Seriously man, why would you spend approx $500 on an 4k upscaling receiver only to hook it up to a ****** old TV?
Old 12-02-2013, 02:18 PM

why would I buy a new $800 to $2500 tv when I have a perfectly good functioning Sony 52 inch fat body?

the old Onkyo receiver had a reparable issue, but I deemed it more prudent to replace it than fix it.

thanks for the helpful comment.

Old 12-02-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:

why would I buy a new $800 to $2500 tv when I have a perfectly good functioning Sony 52 inch fat body?
the old Onkyo receiver had a reparable issue, but I deemed it more prudent to replace it than fix it.

Because it's obsolete and worth less than infected yeast.
Bob Fugger likes this.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:04 PM

its technology may be obsolete, but its functional use is current.  its worth is subjective- maybe worthless to you, but valuable to me.

like your car- I would not give you what you think it is worth, and you cannot replace it for what you think it is worth,  but its technology was obsolete the minute the new model came out.

so the question is:  can I make the new sony 1040 communicate with it and salvage the lifespan of a perfectly functioning machine,?

Old 12-02-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:

Regardless of my sardonic disbelief, I did provide you with a viable solution. You're welcome.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:45 PM

I have this receiver connected to my Sony XBR-55HX929 and I'm trying to understand how Bravia Sync/CEC should be working with these devices. I have my TV connected the HDMI Output A(ARC) on the receiver which goes into the Input 1 (ARC) on the TV. Audio and video are both functioning fine but I don't know that Bravia Sync is. Control for HDMI is set to on in the TV and the receiver. If the receiver is off and I turn the TV on, it will most of the time turn on the receiver too, but this doesn't seem to be 100%. When I turn off the TV, the receiver hasn't ever turned off. I also don't see the receiver listed as a Bravia Sync define when I hit the Bravia Sync button the TV remote. Shouldn't it be listed here?

Lastly, even though I have the receiver set to HDMI audio output to AMP, occasionally the TV speakers will output sound. When this happens, I check the HDMI audio output it says AMP+TV. I manually switch it, but sometimes it gets switched back. If the receiver is on, I don't want the TV to ever output sound through it's speakers. I haven't been able to pin point what operation I've done that causes this to happen, but the most obvious one is if any remote is set to TV and the volume button is hit. Prior to getting this receiver and turning Control for HDMI to on, I just set the TV speakers to off and use audio system. It seems that having CEC turned on overrides this, but when a volume button is pressed in TV mode, it messes things up.

Ultimately I'm trying to understand how Bravia Sync should be working and also why the TV speakers sometimes come on when the receiver is clearly outputting sound. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naka View Post

I have this receiver connected to my Sony XBR-55HX929 and I'm trying to understand how Bravia Sync/CEC should be working with these devices. I have my TV connected the HDMI Output A(ARC) on the receiver which goes into the Input 1 (ARC) on the TV. Audio and video are both functioning fine but I don't know that Bravia Sync is. Control for HDMI is set to on in the TV and the receiver. If the receiver is off and I turn the TV on, it will most of the time turn on the receiver too, but this doesn't seem to be 100%. When I turn off the TV, the receiver hasn't ever turned off. I also don't see the receiver listed as a Bravia Sync define when I hit the Bravia Sync button the TV remote. Shouldn't it be listed here?

Lastly, even though I have the receiver set to HDMI audio output to AMP, occasionally the TV speakers will output sound. When this happens, I check the HDMI audio output it says AMP+TV. I manually switch it, but sometimes it gets switched back. If the receiver is on, I don't want the TV to ever output sound through it's speakers. I haven't been able to pin point what operation I've done that causes this to happen, but the most obvious one is if any remote is set to TV and the volume button is hit. Prior to getting this receiver and turning Control for HDMI to on, I just set the TV speakers to off and use audio system. It seems that having CEC turned on overrides this, but when a volume button is pressed in TV mode, it messes things up.

Ultimately I'm trying to understand how Bravia Sync should be working and also why the TV speakers sometimes come on when the receiver is clearly outputting sound. Thanks in advance.

I have a Samsung tv with an option in the sound menu to set it to external speaker or tv speaker.If you have the same option on your Sony make sure it's set to external speaker.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrorman View Post

I have a Samsung tv with an option in the sound menu to set it to external speaker or tv speaker.If you have the same option on your Sony make sure it's set to external speaker.

It is set already yes. I've noticed that on occasion though the TV says the audio system is unavailable and switches back to it's own speakers even though sound is already playing through the receiver and speakers.

I feel like the TV is having trouble communicating with the receiver. I was playing around with some of the Internet content on the TV to see if ARC worked and I can't get any sound to play when doing this. I don't see the ARC indicator light on the receiver either. I double checked the hdmi cable and even tried a different cable and the result was the same.

Tags
Sony Str Dn1040 7 2 Channel 1050 Watt A V Receiver