Sony STR-DN1040 Official Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 1053 Old 12-25-2013, 01:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm having issues connecting the app to my receiver. I have tried TV Sideview and Media Remote. Both apps see the receiver but will not connect. I have tried going into settings and network but I see no options to connect to the app. Am I missing something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1053 Old 12-27-2013, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That's the same issue I'm having ohiojosh but there's no joy on this forum
post #633 of 1053 Old 12-28-2013, 03:30 PM

both apps can register your receiver. Go to home screen GUI on receiver and select listen then home network. select the option for devices there and you will see the registration for the media remotes. Now the problem i run into is media remote doesn't function properly with the 1040 sony want u to use side view. which doesn't have direct input buttons. if anybody has a fix to media remote that would be great
post #634 of 1053 Old 12-30-2013, 11:50 AM

Liked: 27
Hi everyone,
I'm expecting delivery of my unit today. Is there any way of turning off the wifi functionality of this receiver? I'm concerned it may interfere with other wifi devices that will be inches away. Primarily my wdtv player with built-in wifi that I use for streaming. Looked through the manual and could not spot anything relevant.

The 1040 will be married to my Panny ST60 plasma. Any others here that have both of these working together? Would appreciate any tips tricks or other advice concerning the union of these devices. Planning on going hdmi with all connections except my STB will be through component + optical to pre-empt any possible hdcp issues I've read about and also to sample 1080i to 1080p upconversion.
Thanks in advance.
post #635 of 1053 Old 12-30-2013, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
No need to worry about Wi-Fi interference. I have Samsung 65F8000, Sony DN1040, PS4, Xbox, Wii, 2 cell phones, laptop all in the same room and 5 devices within the same cabinet, including the receiver.
fuzzione likes this.
post #636 of 1053 Old 12-30-2013, 03:21 PM

HOW TO WATCH A VIDEO SOURCE AND LISTEN TO A DIFFERENT SOURCE:

I discovered something amazing about my new DN1040 today.  I've been wanting to watch video games while a play a different audio source such as AirPlay or Bluetooth.  Official Sony answer on their site and chat is "can't be done".  Wrong.  

Here's the procedure here, i just discovered this on my own just now:

Yes, there is a way to do this!  I did it today.  But this is via Airplay.  If you have bluetooth, then you'll need  a $30 bluetooth receiver, any will do, and use the Optical output from that instead of as described here.

Now i can play my iTunes Airplay via my Apple TV at the same time I play my video game, and have push-button access on the remote control to swap between Game sound and Airplay sound.  

Just run an optical cable between Apple TV and your DN1040 to OPT1.    Then use Amp Menu Button/ Home --> goto main DN1040 menu, use settings --> input --> edit the input to set the Opt/Coax to Opt 1 ONLY on the GAME (or whichever you want the sound to override, such as SAT/ or TV) -- set to none for the others.

Then, to use this setup, just play your from your computer or phone thru AirPlay via your Apple TV, then to switch the sound all you do is make sure you're on the correct input, then push amp menu --> input mode on your remote, then you can easily just flip between HDMI sound (called Auto) and your new iTunes sound (call Opt) with simple push button!

So now i can play my video game with sound from iTunes!!  And switch back and forth with push-button from remote, wow!   

(For android /bluetooth, just stream it your new bluetooth receiver [not the dn1040] -- just by one for about $30 , then you can flip between wireless bluetooth sound and game or tv sound, with just button press on the remote, same as above.)

post #637 of 1053 Old 12-30-2013, 03:28 PM

Here's something that could help you on the "video select" kind of feature -- see my new posting in this thread about playing one audio source while listening to another -- on the DN1040.

post #638 of 1053 Old 12-30-2013, 06:49 PM

Hi,

My name is Steve, I just replaced my Onkyo TX-SR805 with the Sony STR-DN1040.  I have it connected to a Toshiba 72" DLP HD TV.  With it I have DirecTV HD DVR (HDMI plugged into SAT/CATV), a Sony BD (HDMI plugged into BD), a Samsung DVR/VCR (plugged into DVD), Roku 3 (plugged into Video 3), with Klipsch Reference RF-62 floors, RC-62 Center, Klipsh 10" subwoofer, I'm using some old Technics floors speakers as surrounds (for now).  Everything is plugged into a Panamax line conditioner.  

Anyway, I also have a Wii plugged into this receiver.  A couple of years ago I bought a HD component cable for the Wii and that's the cable I'm using.  I ran the RGB to the component INPUT1 and the audio to L/R on analog for Sat/CATV.  Tried to program that in Settings>> Input>> Game>>  but it won't let me select analog settings for audio.  When I go to Game on the remote, the Wii shows'but I get no audio.  What am I doing wrong?  I really want to run this through the AV receiver.

TIA!!!

post #639 of 1053 Old 12-30-2013, 07:54 PM

The audio inputs are not assignable so you have to use a component input that matches the same audio input.

And as for that work around, it just boggles my mind that is a $600 msrp receiver and it can't do something that my Onkyo 604 could do. That's the reason I'm looking for a replacement for this.
post #640 of 1053 Old 12-30-2013, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenb46 View Post

Anyway, I also have a Wii plugged into this receiver.  A couple of years ago I bought a HD component cable for the Wii and that's the cable I'm using.  I ran the RGB to the component INPUT1 and the audio to L/R on analog for Sat/CATV.  Tried to program that in Settings>> Input>> Game>>  but it won't let me select analog settings for audio.  When I go to Game on the remote, the Wii shows'but I get no audio.  What am I doing wrong?  I really want to run this through the AV receiver.

TIA!!!

Hi stevenb46, press Input Mode button and cycle it to Analog.
post #641 of 1053 Old 12-30-2013, 08:59 PM

Liked: 14
I tried searching for this info but didn't find much. I just got this receiver and I noticed that every HDMI input I select defaults to HD-D.C.S. Is this normal behavior? Perhaps it's because I have used the auto calibration mode? Is there a way to default to no processing or is some sound processing desired? For example if I'm watching a Blu-Ray and want to hear exactly what is on the disk without artificial processing. I have tried the direct and theater modes and both sound like they have too much reverb for my taste. Studio sounds fine, but wouldn't A.F.D. Auto be better because it doesn't apply any processing and plays back exactly what is recorded?

So I guess my question is if A.F.D Auto is the best choice for HDMI sources with lossless audio, and if so how do I set that as the default. If I can't do that, how far off from that is HD-D.C.S Studio mode?

Thanks
post #642 of 1053 Old 12-30-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi stevenb46, press Input Mode button and cycle it to Analog.

Where?  From the Settings>> Input>> menu?  If so, I go to Game, there's no ability to set audio.  I see it, but I cant seem to go there.  I did try pressing the "Input Mode" button on the remote, but that didn't do anything.  I tried going to Game on the Watch menu and again, I can see the Wii menu, but no sound.

post #643 of 1053 Old 12-30-2013, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

Where?  From the Settings>> Input>> menu?  If so, I go to Game, there's no ability to set audio.  I see it, but I cant seem to go there.  I did try pressing the "Input Mode" button on the remote, but that didn't do anything.  I tried going to Game on the Watch menu and again, I can see the Wii menu, but no sound.

Ah, as BiggNewt posted above analog audio is not assignable so you can't use Game Input name. Your option for input name is either SAT/CATV, VIDEO-1 or SA-CD/CD and use the Input Mode button to cycle it to Analog. I believe you can rename the input as "Wii"
BiggNewt likes this.
post #644 of 1053 Old 12-30-2013, 09:47 PM

The analog audio inputs are not assignable so you have to match up the component to the correct analog input.
post #645 of 1053 Old 12-31-2013, 01:56 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 1299
Quote:

Hi,

My name is Steve, I just replaced my Onkyo TX-SR805 with the Sony STR-DN1040.  I have it connected to a Toshiba 72" DLP HD TV.  With it I have DirecTV HD DVR (HDMI plugged into SAT/CATV), a Sony BD (HDMI plugged into BD), a Samsung DVR/VCR (plugged into DVD), Roku 3 (plugged into Video 3), with Klipsch Reference RF-62 floors, RC-62 Center, Klipsh 10" subwoofer, I'm using some old Technics floors speakers as surrounds (for now).  Everything is plugged into a Panamax line conditioner.  

TIA!!!

You may also want to consider using a Wii2HDMI ....

http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-1080P-Output-Upscaling-Converter/dp/B0050RKH2Y

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #646 of 1053 Old 12-31-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhj32883 View Post

Hello,

I just set up my 1040 and I have a question regarding Home Network and Streaming from my computer.  I have my 1040 hooked up to my wireless router and am able to stream music.  However, it only happens some of the time. Most of the time my Windows Media Player will say that no device is detected. Even though the 1040 will show up in My Network and I've allowed the streaming and etc.  I believe it has to do with having a dynamic IP address. I had an issue with a printer that would be available when I installed the driver, but the next day not work and would be considered offline.  I called Dell support and they basically said it was an IP issue and switched the printer to a static IP and I've had no issues since.

I found how to enter a static IP address onto the receiver, but I don't know which IP address to assign it or how to make sure it's properly set up on my computer and recognized.

Can anyone help me out?

I'm totally lost.

Thanks

Just enter a higher-numbered IP address into your receiver in the manual network setup.  Look at the numbers already assigned maybe like 192.168.0.10, then use a number like 192.168.0.40 instead -- be sure to only set the last number.   When your router hands out numbers, it starts at 1 so unless you have 40 devices, this is safe.   And 40 is similar to 1040 to remind you.

jhj32883 likes this.
post #647 of 1053 Old 12-31-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:

Hello,

I just set up my 1040 and I have a question regarding Home Network and Streaming from my computer.  I have my 1040 hooked up to my wireless router and am able to stream music.  However, it only happens some of the time. Most of the time my Windows Media Player will say that no device is detected. Even though the 1040 will show up in My Network and I've allowed the streaming and etc.  I believe it has to do with having a dynamic IP address. I had an issue with a printer that would be available when I installed the driver, but the next day not work and would be considered offline.  I called Dell support and they basically said it was an IP issue and switched the printer to a static IP and I've had no issues since.

I found how to enter a static IP address onto the receiver, but I don't know which IP address to assign it or how to make sure it's properly set up on my computer and recognized.

Can anyone help me out?

I'm totally lost.

Thanks

Also i would ensure your received is wired to your router, not wireless.

post #648 of 1053 Old 12-31-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Ah, as BiggNewt posted above analog audio is not assignable so you can't use Game Input name. Your option for input name is either SAT/CATV, VIDEO-1 or SA-CD/CD and use the Input Mode button to cycle it to Analog. I believe you can rename the input as "Wii"

Thanks, I moved the audio outputs for Wii down to SA-CD/CD and programmed that device to use IN1 for component.  That worked I now get sound.  Thanks to all that assisted me.  

One last question.  Is there any way to hide unused items from the GUI?  For example, my DVR/VCR is set as Video1 and I have no Game, DVD, or Video2.  Not a big deal, just curious if it can be hidden.

post #649 of 1053 Old 01-01-2014, 04:16 PM

I'm trying to get Pandora working directly from the receiver.  It talks about licensing and registering, what's this about.  I registered the receiver already?

post #650 of 1053 Old 01-01-2014, 04:47 PM

KS7Iw1

I want to send mine in for service, less than 2 months old. The latest firmware killed the video output on my HDMI.

post #651 of 1053 Old 01-02-2014, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgoodri View Post

Just enter a higher-numbered IP address into your receiver in the manual network setup.  Look at the numbers already assigned maybe like 192.168.0.10, then use a number like 192.168.0.40 instead -- be sure to only set the last number.   When your router hands out numbers, it starts at 1 so unless you have 40 devices, this is safe.   And 40 is similar to 1040 to remind you.

Thanks for the response. I added the higher IP address, but now I have to enter it every time I want to connect to my iTunes on my PC. Then I have to restart my PC. Is that normal? Is there a fix for this?
post #652 of 1053 Old 01-02-2014, 10:01 AM

Liked: 27
I've lived with the 1040 for 3 days now and in answer to my own question previously on this thread, as to how it well it would unite with my Panny 60ST60 Plasma, the answer is very well indeed. Thus far it has been perfect actually, with no HDCP issues. I have not used the wireless features yet; have very limited use for these anyway and frankly, I don't want to update firmware unless I see a real reason to.

I was surprised to find my previous Pioneer VSX816 budget receiver actually cranked out more power than the 1040, which cost almost twice the price. However, the 1040 sounds a bit more articulate and implements the surround field (5.1 in my case) better, with more immersion and depth. It is also a small improvement with 2-channel sources over my 8 yr old 816. That said, my 816 had no hdmi functionality and listening to HD audio sources on my 1040 is certainly a significant improvement.

One of the many features I did not think about using much, if at all, is the upconversion capability of the 1040. In my effort to pre-empt any possible HDMI issue I elected to hook my cable box up through the receiver's component and coaxial input. My box produces only standard, 1080i and 720p signals. I was pleasantly surprised at the resulting upconversion to 1080p....cable tv has never looked better! The results considerably exceed my expectations as the conversion and processing from these sources to 1080p is excellent. Kudos to Sony for not skimping on this tech.

Thus far I'm very happy with this unit. Assuming it keeps working as it's supposed to it will be a keeper and live here beyond the store return window.

I do have a small hum coming from the receiver that is noticeable from about 3 feet away while on standby. As I really have no use for standby or pass through functions I simply turn the receiver off completely when not in use so it really doesn't affect me. I would assume this hum is normal as others have also commented on it.
post #653 of 1053 Old 01-02-2014, 12:33 PM

The more I read about the sony 1040 the more I want to swap my Yamaha RX-V575 for this one.

Looks like the sony out performs the 575 on all fronts.

Any one done a side by side comparison of the 2.

Wish I had done more research at the time I got the 575 but it was gift and I wasn't going to

complain about it. It replaced a 15year old sony av receiver ( very low end I think it was less than $200.00 at the time)

post #654 of 1053 Old 01-02-2014, 04:33 PM

Liked: 23
Hey guys,

Is there any way to have the volume display in dB instead of on the zero base scale it comes with by default?

Thanks!
post #655 of 1053 Old 01-02-2014, 05:26 PM

Just got a STR-DN1040 to replace an older Onkyo. Looks great but one big issue. I can't seem to play bluetooth or network via Zone 2? TV works fine through zone 2. I have a sinking feeling bluetooth on Zone 2 is not supported? Any ideas would be appreciated. 

post #656 of 1053 Old 01-02-2014, 11:35 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Apologies if this has been asked but I recently won a Sony STR-DN1040 from work (I was eyeing a DN840 and then this one sort of fell in my lap!) and am using it with a 2.0 setup.  I currently have the speakers route in to the FRONT L and R inputs, which is what I'm used to, however when I go into setup > speakers the device seems to be suggesting that I use the "Speaker B" route, which requires me hooking the two speakers in to the FRONT B L and R inputs...so I guess my question is...which is it?  Seems odd that I'd plug into the surround sound/Front B inputs...

Anyone know?

Thanks!

post #657 of 1053 Old 01-03-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the response. I added the higher IP address, but now I have to enter it every time I want to connect to my iTunes on my PC. Then I have to restart my PC. Is that normal? Is there a fix for this?

No, that's not normal.  You should be setting the IP address on the DN1040 only.  and then your PC should find it automatically from then on.  

post #658 of 1053 Old 01-06-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Hi all,

I have Windows 8 on my laptop and noticed a "STR-DN840 CA9978" icon in the Network section of the Explorer.
There is an empty "Music Services" under.
Anyone knows what it is for ?

Just a guess, but I think this may be because the DN840 is considered a DLNA Renderer device that Windows has discovered. You can use this functionality from Windows File Explorer to drive the receiver by right-clicking on an audio file, "Play To / [Your Receiver Name]".

The Music app on Samsung Android phones will do this too (and presumably other DLNA-capable players), but note that the default Google Play Music app will not.
post #659 of 1053 Old 01-07-2014, 12:45 PM

I've just got this receiver and I'm curious about how to set it up correctly. I will have the amp paired with a Cambridge Audio 5.1 speaker package

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Refering to the picture above I wondered if you guys can give me some help with this amp.

1) I see 3 of these connections have 4k above then... Does this mean only those HDMI sockets take the 4k resolution?

I need to connect the following items

HTPC
Sony BDP-S790
PS4
Sony KDL W4000 Full HDTV

2) I can see where to put the BD player and PS4 but where would be the best place to plug in the HTPC or doesn't it matter?

3) I have a Xbox 360 and PS3 to connect. I was thinking about connecting them to the HDMI sockets remaining but may need the HDMI sockets for other things. If I connected them directly to the TV could I get the sound to the amp another way rather than HDMI

4) I've really not played with the amp yet, but wondered two things. Can you edit the names of the HDMI inputs? For example change Video 3 to HTPC? Also if both BD player and Amplifier provide upscaling which one will do it, and if one is better than the other, can you select which one scales.

Sorry for the rather basic questions, but I'm new to all this and I'd like to get a little know how before the AV installer comes to fit it all.

THanks guys
post #660 of 1053 Old 01-07-2014, 03:38 PM

STR-DN1040 HDMI POWER PROBLEMS

Anyone having HDMI issues where your TV suddenly turns off/back on? I am 99.999% sure it's not the HDMI cables themselves.
I suspect the DN1040 HDMI inputs. Let me explain what's happening.

I have my TV (Panasonic VT60), Blu-ray player and DirectTV all hooked up to the receiver via HDMI. In addition, I have a digital audio cable from the TV to the receiver.

The TV will "sometimes" turn off/back on when I touch a lamp in the same room, touch the metal TV stand, or sometimes it just does it on its' own. I've tried plugging my home theater with an extension cord to another room, using a different surge suppressor, using two surge suppressors, etc., etc.

I've had both an electrician and my power company come out to check, and everything is up to specs, including voltage, grounding and no spikes.

I've figured out a temporary fix, but am not happy as it should work via HDMI as previously hooked-up.
The problem goes away if no HDMI cables are used by the receiver, and instead the BD player and DirectTV box are plugged directly into the TV w/ the exact same HDMI cables. In short, if no HDMI cables (in or out) are used on the receiver, the problem is gone. For audio, I'm forced to use the digital audio cable if I want to use my speakers. Not happy about this.

What could possibly be causing this HDMI glitch to happen?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Sony Str Dn1040 7 2 Channel 1050 Watt A V Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page