post #901 of 1137 Old 04-27-2014, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW27 View Post

Hi,
I'm looking to buy the STRDN1040 or 1050 and what I would like to know from the current users is: Can you use the onscreen interface to browse to a website?
I ask this because I have a home automation PC that generates a web page with various stats ie temperature, humidity, light states etc and I would like to be able to view these from the TV via the web browser in the receiver. So as an example, I would browse to the local computer address of http://192.168.0.15:8081/habmin/index.html and have it display this web page.

Kind regards,
Neil.

Neil,

No browser on the 1040... but it sounds like you should just build or buy a mini-pc on the cheap and HDMI in to one of the receivers MANY inputs. Done and done.

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1137 Old 04-27-2014, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW27 View Post

Hi,
I'm looking to buy the STRDN1040 or 1050 and what I would like to know from the current users is: Can you use the onscreen interface to browse to a website?
I ask this because I have a home automation PC that generates a web page with various stats ie temperature, humidity, light states etc and I would like to be able to view these from the TV via the web browser in the receiver. So as an example, I would browse to the local computer address of http://192.168.0.15:8081/habmin/index.html and have it display this web page.

Kind regards,
Neil.

No receiver I know of would do this. Could you use a Chromecast for this? It would probably work better than any other 'internet media' device, and is inexpensive at $ 35 (list price) or less. The receiver will automatically switch to the Chromecast's input if HDMI CEC is enabled on the receiver
post #903 of 1137 Old 04-27-2014, 05:32 PM

Liked: 12
Downloaded some HD Music from hdtracks.com.

My Cerwin Vega 5.1 system connected to my 1040 is simply amazing. Wow, music at the highest lossless quality ever. eek.gif

I use my Windows 8.1 laptop connected via bluetooth, and play AIFF files using the iTunes application.

Question: Does the bluetooth connection degrade or compress or limit bit rate for audio at all? I want to listen to the full enchilada :-)

The highest HD Track has a 9,216 kbps bit rate and a 192 kHz sample rate.

Of course, I could connect directly via USB but I want to do this wirelessly.

Would DLNA over wifif offer fewer limitations than Bluetooth?

Marty
post #904 of 1137 Old 04-28-2014, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Anyone use this with a Sony 4k / X1 Media player?
If so, do the HDMI 2.0 ports allow one to run the media player directly through the receiver instead of running HDMI Out 2 to the receiver and then video to HDMI in4 on the TV?
post #905 of 1137 Old 04-28-2014, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by martykoenig View Post

Downloaded some HD Music from hdtracks.com.

My Cerwin Vega 5.1 system connected to my 1040 is simply amazing. Wow, music at the highest lossless quality ever. eek.gif

I use my Windows 8.1 laptop connected via bluetooth, and play AIFF files using the iTunes application.

Question: Does the bluetooth connection degrade or compress or limit bit rate for audio at all? I want to listen to the full enchilada :-)

The highest HD Track has a 9,216 kbps bit rate and a 192 kHz sample rate.

Of course, I could connect directly via USB but I want to do this wirelessly.

Would DLNA over wifif offer fewer limitations than Bluetooth?

Marty

I don't think Bluetooth supports AIFF, which means your laptop is likely converting the AIFF files to AAC (or possibly AptX) to send via. Bluetooth.  Have you tried using the Airplay function?  The newest version of iTunes allows you to Airplay music from your iTunes library to multiple Airplay targets (speakers, AVR's, etc.).  Since Airplay is built on your existing wifi connection, it can often times provide a better connection than bluetooth.  One thing that is nice about the STR DN1040 is that it will automatically switch inputs when you Airplay audio to it.

DLNA is often hit or miss when it comes to file compatibility, because they don't really specify which formats a device must support in order to be certified as DLNA.  DLNA does not typically support DRM, so if you have any older songs in your iTunes library that you downloaded from iTunes, it might not let you play them via. DLNA.  Also, to use DLNA with the STR DN1040, you will likely have to use the 1040's Network interface or a program on your laptop that allows you to push audio to the AVR.  I don't think this can be done with iTunes, so it would mean using another interface.  I would recommend trying it out to see if it will do what you want and whether or not you like any of the available interfaces as much as you like iTunes.

Here's a good article comparing Bluetooth to Airplay...

http://www.audiogurus.com/learn/speakers/bluetooth-vs-airplay/446

And here's one on DLNA...

http://www.cnet.com/news/dlna-for-media-streamers-what-does-it-all-mean/

emiliosic likes this.
post #906 of 1137 Old 04-28-2014, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptysell View Post

Anyone use this with a Sony 4k / X1 Media player?
If so, do the HDMI 2.0 ports allow one to run the media player directly through the receiver instead of running HDMI Out 2 to the receiver and then video to HDMI in4 on the TV?

You cannot run the video from the FMP-X1 thru the STR DN1040 and then from there to the display.  If you want lossless audio, you must connect HDMI Out 1 directly to the TV for video and connect HDMI Out 2 directly to the AVR for audio.  If you don't care about getting lossless audio, you could either use the HDMI audio return channel or an optical digital audio cable from the TV to the AVR.

post #907 of 1137 Old 04-28-2014, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post

You cannot run the video from the FMP-X1 thru the STR DN1040 and then from there to the display.  If you want lossless audio, you must connect HDMI Out 1 directly to the TV for video and connect HDMI Out 2 directly to the AVR for audio.  If you don't care about getting lossless audio, you could either use the HDMI audio return channel or an optical digital audio cable from the TV to the AVR.

So then the receiver is not 4K compliant?
post #908 of 1137 Old 04-28-2014, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptysell View Post

So then the receiver is not 4K compliant?

It will pass 4K video and can upscale to 4K, provided the content does not use anything above HDCP 1.3 for copyright protection (non-HDCP content will obviously pass as well).  The problem is that Sony encrypts all of their 4K content using the newer form of copyright protection (HDCP 2.2), which the FMP-X1 supports, but the STR DN1040 does not.  When Sony's 2013 4K TV's first came out, they were not HDCP 2.2 compliant either, which is why they had to send techs out to replace one of the HDMI boards (HDMI Input #4) for anyone that purchased the FMP-X1.  Sony started to swap the boards out in the factory as well.  At this point, any 2013 Sony 4K display should already have the new board installed prior to purchase.  Sony's 2014 4K displays will be HDCP 2.2 compliant from the moment they are released.  However, I have seen nothing to indicate that their 2014 AVR's will be HDCP 2.2 compliant.  Maybe they will be but Sony just didn't mention it.  If not then folks who buy the 2014 AVR's will have to use HDMI Out #2 for audio just like those who own the 2013 models.

post #909 of 1137 Old 04-28-2014, 03:57 PM

Thanks Hockey. Much appreciated. This is a new area for me as In increase my technical audio skills. Ill keep this thread posted on my findings.
post #910 of 1137 Old 04-28-2014, 04:20 PM

My quest: find out how to get the best/highest quality lossless audio from my Win 8.1 laptop to the DN1040 without wires. I want to play 192/24 at full lossless, direct, uncompromised sound. Refers to 24-bit digital music samples taken 192,000 times per second (192 kHz). This is a standard format for downloadable high-definition music.

I could:
Run an HDMI cable from the laptop to the 1040, but I don't want wires.
Run an HDMI wireless setup from the laptop to the 1040, but those are expensive. I have one and it's already in use to my flat screen on the covered patio.
Run a USB cable from the laptop to the 1040, but I don't want wires.
Run bluetooth, I tried it, sounded great, but that's limited to 44.1 kHz. A2DP or AAC is the best you can get, even though they call them "high quality", it's not enough for what I want.
Run DLNA. Didn't try it, but protocol has codec limitations so 192/24 may not be possible. Not to mention setting up and making DLNA run properly is a pain.
Run Pandora but that's limited to 128Kbps on the 1040. I CAN get 192K with my paid Pandora|One account using my laptop then sending that to the 1040, but I still have the problem. An on Pandora I can't play the AIFF music files I paid a ton of money for.
Try AirPlay via iTunes - thanks to Hockey for that! I'll try it next.

I'm willing to spend some money ... suggestions are much appreciated! Marty in Denver, Colorado.
post #911 of 1137 Old 05-02-2014, 05:59 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hello Everyone,

Is it just me or the STR-DN 1050 doesn't stack up to the STR-DN 1040?

I've been waiting for this receiver for a few months now to power Flaunce XL7 Towers with center and rear speakers.

I have a question about 1050 I see 3 HDMI output. Zone 2 out, Out A and Out B. What is the Out A and Out B for?

I don't care about lesser HDMI input because all I have are PS3, ChomeCast and Android Box.

Another question about power output, The 1040 has 165w which I assume is max however the new 1050 is listed at 120w RMS, from what I know is that roughtly the same power output?

This is my first Home Theater build and im trying to keep my budget as low as possible.

PS. I know the Fluance speakers aren't the greatest but they are beautiful and the wife will let me keep them in the living room.

Help me out here guys and tell me the 1050 is a better buy for me.
post #912 of 1137 Old 05-02-2014, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by martykoenig View Post

Try AirPlay via iTunes
Airplay won't play regular flac lossless files. It will play apple version of flac though. USB memory stick will work too.
post #913 of 1137 Old 05-02-2014, 06:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyEyez View Post

Hello Everyone,

Is it just me or the STR-DN 1050 doesn't stack up to the STR-DN 1040?

I've been waiting for this receiver for a few months now to power Flaunce XL7 Towers with center and rear speakers.

I have a question about 1050 I see 3 HDMI output. Zone 2 out, Out A and Out B. What is the Out A and Out B for?

I don't care about lesser HDMI input because all I have are PS3, ChomeCast and Android Box.

Another question about power output, The 1040 has 165w which I assume is max however the new 1050 is listed at 120w RMS, from what I know is that roughtly the same power output?

This is my first Home Theater build and im trying to keep my budget as low as possible.

PS. I know the Fluance speakers aren't the greatest but they are beautiful and the wife will let me keep them in the living room.

Help me out here guys and tell me the 1050 is a better buy for me.

HDMI Monitor Out A & B output the same AV signal.  It simply allows you to send the same signal to two different displays without having to buy an external splitter.  For instance, some people have a flat screen TV and projector in the same room.  This allows you to send to the signal to either one or both at the same time.  Both the 1040 & the 1050 have this capability.

The 1050 adds the Zone 2 HDMI Out, which allows you to select and output a different source to another display/receiver.  Usually, the Zone 2 display/receiver would be in a different room.

The power output of the 1040 & 1050 should be the same.  If you look at the specs for either one, you will notice multiple power ratings for the same receiver, based on a different number of channel driven and different frequency ranges.  If you compare the power ratings for the two receivers using the same number of channels driven and the same frequency range, the numbers are the same, iirc.

Unless you need more HDMI inputs than the 6 on the 1050, I would go with the 1050.  Even if you do need more inputs, you might still want to go with the 1050 because of the added lossless audio format (FLAC, ALAC, AIFF, & DSD) support and Zone 2 capabilities.  You can always add a separate HDMI switch, if needed.

SleepyEyez likes this.
post #914 of 1137 Old 05-02-2014, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyEyez View Post

The extra hdmi out is for tv and projector in same room. Switch back and forth. A good thing to have. To compare power verify the power supply watts. Usually under the general specification area. Same power supply equals same power to speakers. They are both 240 watts.
SleepyEyez likes this.
post #915 of 1137 Old 05-02-2014, 11:33 AM

Hmm. Here's a question.

iMac Intel Corei5 Running 10.9.2.

Airplay sees my AppleTV.

DOES NOT SEE THE SONY 1040 AMP!

iPhone does. iPad does. iMAC DOES NOT.

Frustrating... as spotify.com is a great service but the iphone and ipad app interfaces are AWFUL. The OSX App is just ok... but definitely the best of the three.

Anybody? Bueller?
post #916 of 1137 Old 05-02-2014, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iosion View Post

Hmm. Here's a question.

Airplay sees my AppleTV.

Frustrating... as spotify.com is a great service but the iphone and ipad app interfaces are AWFUL. The OSX App is just ok... but definitely the best of the three.

Anybody? Bueller?

Not sure why the iMac doesn't see your receiver as a potential Airplay target.  My Windows 8 laptop sees mine when running iTunes.  I don't use Spotify, so can't verify if it works for me (I'm not at home now).  I would check to see if your iMac can see the 1040 from iTunes.  If not then the issue has to be the iMac.  If it does then the issue has to be Spotify.

post #917 of 1137 Old 05-02-2014, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:

Hmm. Here's a question.

Airplay sees my AppleTV.

Anybody? Bueller?

I have a similar issue, I could never get my iPhone or ipad to connect the the 1040. Oddly enough my 2007 mac laptop connects to it, go figure.
post #918 of 1137 Old 05-02-2014, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
I'm considering getting this AV-receiver based on positive reviews. However I'm new to the surround sound area. So I'm mostly used to two channel stereo equipment, and there I usually spend $3000+ on an amplifier to get satisfied, and that's just for two channels. So I'm wondering if it's likely I'll get disappointed by a getting a ~$400-500 A/V amplifier? On the other hand I'm thinking that with movie sound it's not so critical, since it's mostly dialog and sound effects. Also, I intend to get a 5.1 system with 5 satellite speakers, so I'm assuming they they are easier to drive than big two-channel floor standing speakers. So what do you think. Will the Sony STR-DN1040 be sufficient for my needs, or should I step up to something more expensive, and in that case what and what will I gain by that (more details, better surround effects, etc?)? Please let me know what you think.
post #919 of 1137 Old 05-02-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjodor2000 View Post

So I'm mostly used to two channel stereo equipment, and there I usually spend $3000+ on an amplifier to get satisfied, and that's just for two channels. So I'm wondering if it's likely I'll get disappointed by a getting a ~$400-500 A/V amplifier?

I'm a stereo guy myself since WAY WAY back. I run the 1040 in Pure Direct mode (look it up) in to my Klipsch towers and sub.

I am VERY happy with the stereo sound, response, soundstage, imaging, accuracy and responsiveness. VERY happy... and frankly really surprised.

You are used to spending 3K on your stereo amp alone? No. No... you are not going to get anywhere NEAR that level of sound with this amp. Not sure why you would even for a second think you could. Sorta like asking if you'll be disappointed going from a Bentley to a Mercedes. They are both really nice cars but... ;-)

I advise that you order the amp from Amazon, try it out... and if you do not like it simply return it.
post #920 of 1137 Old 05-02-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:

Not sure why the iMac doesn't see your receiver as a potential Airplay target.  My Windows 8 laptop sees mine when running iTunes.  I don't use Spotify, so can't verify if it works for me (I'm not at home now).  I would check to see if your iMac can see the 1040 from iTunes.  If not then the issue has to be the iMac.  If it does then the issue has to be Spotify.

Spotify has nothing to do with it other than being source material, it doesn't have native airplay functionality.

iTunes DOES see the amp.

OS X DOES NOT see the amp! That is whacked.

That means it has nothing to do with the network, router, etc... but something to do with the OS running the iMac.

*sigh*
post #921 of 1137 Old 05-02-2014, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjodor2000 View Post

I'm considering getting this AV-receiver based on positive reviews. However I'm new to the surround sound area. So I'm mostly used to two channel stereo equipment, and there I usually spend $3000+ on an amplifier to get satisfied, and that's just for two channels. So I'm wondering if it's likely I'll get disappointed by a getting a ~$400-500 A/V amplifier? On the other hand I'm thinking that with movie sound it's not so critical, since it's mostly dialog and sound effects. Also, I intend to get a 5.1 system with 5 satellite speakers, so I'm assuming they they are easier to drive than big two-channel floor standing speakers. So what do you think. Will the Sony STR-DN1040 be sufficient for my needs, or should I step up to something more expensive, and in that case what and what will I gain by that (more details, better surround effects, etc?)? Please let me know what you think.

It would be impossible for me to tell you whether or not it will fill your needs.  My advice would be to go to your local AV store (Best Buy, Fry's, Crutchfield, etc.) and try it out.  If they don't have it hooked up then at least try out a similarly priced model from Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Pioneer, or Yamaha.  Have them play the audio from the receiver through some speakers in the price range you are looking for.  If you're not sure if that sounds good enough to you, I would try the same receiver with some pricier speakers just to make sure to see if it was just the speakers that were bringing the sound quality down.  If you still don't like it with the best speakers they have then you might want to look at some higher-end receivers or, more likely, some separates.

post #922 of 1137 Old 05-02-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:

Spotify has nothing to do with it other than being source material, it doesn't have native airplay functionality.

iTunes DOES see the amp.

OS X DOES NOT see the amp! That is whacked.

That means it has nothing to do with the network, router, etc... but something to do with the OS running the iMac.

*sigh*

Figured it out.

The amp is listed as an AirPlay option for Output in the Sound Preference Pane.

It is NOT listed under the Airplay icon in the top bar at upper right where it should be.

Interesting... but I got it working at least, thats what matters.
post #923 of 1137 Old 05-02-2014, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
@ioson & HockeyoAJB:

Thanks for the feedback! Well in my case I've listened to some other $400-500 A/V receivers (but not the Sony STR-DN1040). And if anything I perhaps think they lack that total control and grip of the sound that I'm used to from high-end stereo equipment. Mostly I think they lacked a bit of detail, deep/low-frequency voices sounded unclear and unintelligible, and the base could sometimes sound boomy instead of tight and distinct. But I don't know if this was due to the speakers and/or their setup. So I wonder if this is this something you've experienced with the DN1040?
post #924 of 1137 Old 05-03-2014, 01:14 AM

Hi fjOdor2000,
I had several av receivers in this price level, (denon,pioneer, onkyo), and the sony is the only one that flows closer to an stereo amp sound in terms of detail and subtle, at this price. Anyway , comparing pears to pears, you must to use same frontstand speakers and select same analog source. Then you can play some effects in order to find the best for you ears, my best one would be the "direct input" in that envionment, for analog music.
But i find better sound quality in general, if the source is driven by hdmi, just for my ears. Playng a good sacd or dsd source through hdmi is something you would love once you get inmersed in that surround package. Try pink floyd or dire straits, or classical. Wow.smile.gif
Regards from Spain.
post #925 of 1137 Old 05-04-2014, 05:14 AM

Does anyone know if more than one of the outputs on the 1050 can pass through and have hdmi control???
post #926 of 1137 Old 05-05-2014, 09:18 PM

Hi 1040 users. Could yourl pls tell me what sound field you use to watch Blueray movies? Also do you let the BD player do the DACing or do you let the 1040 do the DAC.
I currently have my BD player connected via HDMI and the sound field set to PL Movie. But all movies sound soft.
Any help would be much appreciated. I am running a 3.1 config btw.
post #927 of 1137 Old 05-05-2014, 10:41 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 13

Hi Gents,

I bought a STR-DN1040 from Future Shop (owned by Best Buy in Canada) last week and have 30 days to make certain it's for me. Here's the background...

I bought a 3D 55 inch Samsung TV a year or two ago but my wife wouldn't let me swap it into the Games Room where our 55 inch Toshiba LED TV is connected to my 6.1 Home Theater System. (The Toshiba is connected to a 7 year old Sony Receiver - no HDMI switching, that's been excellent) But my son and I want to watch these 3D Blu-ray Movies I keep buying in 5.1 Surround Sound. So what's a guy to do...

In the Family room, where the 3D TV is, I had an old => and I mean 20 year old, Sony Dolby Prologic Receiver. It was top of the line when purchased. (I used to be a bit of an audio nut in my youth and into Marantz, Altec Lansing, Technics, Shure, Stanton, TEAAC, etc., when they were the best.) But with Kids and family responsibilities, a compromise was in order and that Sony was amazing, and has worked all these years flawlessly. It was connected to some even older JBL-36 speakers (that I had my wife buy used before we were married!) who's Woofer's Foam Edges dissolved away and I had expertly redone a couple years ago. (They still sound fabulous.) So I nibbled away, and got a decent Infinity Center Channel at an auction site. Then it was some smaller JBL's I put in my home office for a while that have become the surrounds. I picked up a 10 inch Sub for a song so I was almost ready to go.

So last week I finally pulled the trigger & got a good deal on a Sony STR-DN1040.

I'm now experimenting with DLNA streaming wirelessly from my main PC via the Home Network to the 1040. MP3s work great, but I can't yet get the 1040 to do FLAC files => which is strange as the same files play off a USB Stick with no issue. The Folder and files are "seen" be the 1040 but there is a "?" to the left of the name where the file format should be.

Any comments on what's up here gents?

Regards,

Jim
post #928 of 1137 Old 05-05-2014, 11:53 PM

You can stream flac only through the UPnP server. You have to download Upnp onto your computer first.
Hope this helps
post #929 of 1137 Old 05-06-2014, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilan Alws View Post

Hi 1040 users. Could yourl pls tell me what sound field you use to watch Blueray movies? Also do you let the BD player do the DACing or do you let the 1040 do the DAC.
I currently have my BD player connected via HDMI and the sound field set to PL Movie. But all movies sound soft.
Any help would be much appreciated. I am running a 3.1 config btw.

I have a 7.2 speaker setup with rear surrounds.  The only two settings I use for watching movies are A.F.D. (Auto Format Decode) and PLIIx.  I use A.F.D. for any movies that use lossless (Dobly TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio) soundtracks in either 7.1 or 5.1 channels.  I use PLIIx for all other movies and TV shows (assuming I remember to switch it from A.F.D.).  Occasionally, I will run into a stereo/mono movie that doesn't sound quite right in PLIIx and will switch it back to A.F.D.  For example, the original Conan the Barbarian (starring Arnold Schwartzenegger), just sounds better in stereo.  Though that might have something to do with the soundtrack being heavy on music and light on dialogue.

For music, I like to play around with the sound fields to see what sounds best.  For stereo music, the most common setting I use is multi-stereo, as this tends to fill the room better and sounds good from almost any where in the house.  This is important, because I like to listen to music while doing things around the house.  If I'm in the kitchen, I hear mostly what is coming from the front speakers do to the location of the doorway.  If I am upstairs, I hear mostly what is coming from the rear surrounds because the bottom of the stair case faces them.  Had I used another setting which plays different instruments from different speakers then I would be missing out on part of the music, depending on what room I was in at the time.  If I am sitting down in my usual spot to listen to music then I might switch it between multi-stereo, A.F.D., Neo6 Music, and PLII Music too see what sounds the best, which varies depending on the type of music and my mood.  I also sometimes play with sound field settings like Jazz Club, Concert Hall, and Arena. 

post #930 of 1137 Old 05-06-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:

I have a 7.2 speaker setup with rear surrounds.  The only two settings I use for watching movies are A.F.D. (Auto Format Decode) and PLIIx.  I use A.F.D. for any movies that use lossless (Dobly TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio) soundtracks in either 7.1 or 5.1 channels.  I use PLIIx for all other movies and TV shows (assuming I remember to switch it from A.F.D.).  Occasionally, I will run into a stereo/mono movie that doesn't sound quite right in PLIIx and will switch it back to A.F.D.  For example, the original Conan the Barbarian (starring Arnold Schwartzenegger), just sounds better in stereo.  Though that might have something to do with the soundtrack being heavy on music and light on dialogue.

For music, I like to play around with the sound fields to see what sounds best.  For stereo music, the most common setting I use is multi-stereo, as this tends to fill the room better and sounds good from almost any where in the house.  This is important, because I like to listen to music while doing things around the house.  If I'm in the kitchen, I hear mostly what is coming from the front speakers do to the location of the doorway.  If I am upstairs, I hear mostly what is coming from the rear surrounds because the bottom of the stair case faces them.  Had I used another setting which plays different instruments from different speakers then I would be missing out on part of the music, depending on what room I was in at the time.  If I am sitting down in my usual spot to listen to music then I might switch it between multi-stereo, A.F.D., Neo6 Music, and PLII Music too see what sounds the best, which varies depending on the type of music and my mood.  I also sometimes play with sound field settings like Jazz Club, Concert Hall, and Arena. 

Thanks for the info. PLIIx is not available for me because I run a 3.1 setup.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Sony Str Dn1040 7 2 Channel 1050 Watt A V Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page