Sony STR-DN1040 Official Thread - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 1145 Old 06-21-2014, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just want to share with all - that I am VERY HAPPY with the purchase of thi new STR-DN 1040, It replaced my Pioneer 1019K 7.1 AVR, and had been researching and quite concerned about the possible change from my previous - L & R Surround Backs with High Fronts and DPL IIz............Thank God, I went for it, this AVR and the NEW Sounds emanating from it's bowels is blowing me away........I am finally right IN The Theater.
Example: With my previous TV and AVR I had watched what I considered a "B" Movie, "Shooter" w Mark Whalberg, nothing to really remember......BUT............after I got the new AVR all connected up and started my 1st Test Run, low and behold, that movie was playing, it was a totally NEW experience though, like 1st time I'd ever seen it, just because the sound track was encompassing me and would not let me go......I was trying to shut it off, had stuff to do, but just had to keep watching for a while because of the dynamic, engulfing sound stage.
GREAT Work Mr. Sony!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1145 Old 06-22-2014, 07:12 PM
Advanced Member

3+2.1 or 5+2.1?

I went thru the 1040 Setup and SAVED mine as 5 + 2.1...........but I noticed as I tried it out on "Pacific Rim" when I was using Remote's Sound Field across the Receiver Screen it is reading "3 + 2.1"..... and I tried everything I could to try to get it to use 5 + 2.1 to NO avail. Then I thought maybe that Film did not have that specific speaker setup so it defaulted to a lesser one??? Then today while watching the World Cup.....same thing.....my receiver tells me it is in "3 + 2.1".........I went into setup again and re-setup everything up to 5 + 2.1 and SAVED........I did notice even when the receiver says 3 + 2.1 when I went over to see if any audio was coming out of the surround speaker - it was?
Is there someway [key on remote] that will tell you the way the sound is being distributed?

TKS michael
post #993 of 1145 Old 06-23-2014, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 36
1040 delivered this weekend. It replaces the sony dn1000.
Network setup no problems. Airplay works great. I can walk all around the house with my iphone in my pocket and keep playing music and podcasts.
7 HDMI on the back and I've already used 6. The main 2 reasons I went with a new system was more hdmi ports and passes 3d and I guess 4k in the future.
The onscreen display is fast and well laid out. I was able to relable the IMHO badly named HDMI ports. (Why can't they just be HDMI 1-8?)
I did get a scare when I was prompted that an update was available. It downloaded the update nice and fast but then it rebooted and flashed 'Updating' on the screen for a scary long time. I thought I might have bricked it during the update but eventually it did finish and all is well again.
For the heck of it I hooked an old VCR to a composit and it upscaled it out through HDMI. That was suprising.
post #994 of 1145 Old 06-23-2014, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Jim- View Post
Did I just imagine I could plug in my NTFS USB Drives? Can someone out there who has the a NTFS USB Hard Drive (most folks running Win 7 will format using this default) and a STR-DN1040 check this out and post?
No ext HDD here, but I plugged in an 8GB thumb drive NTFS with a folder of mp3 files. AVR screen flashed '...reading...' and then aborts to "Not Supported". Latest f/w on STR-DN1040.

Glenn

Winegard Ant HD7694P + COX Clear QAM, SONY HDTV KD-34XBR970, SONY AVR STR-DN1040, Google Chromecast, Pioneer 5.0 SP-PK52FS + Belden Cables 5000UE, SiliconDust HDHomeRun DUALs, ASUS Router RT-N66U, Google Nexus 7 2013 (TVGuide.com, HDHomeRunTV + VPlayer, TuneIn Radio) + Nokia DT-900, APC UPS ES 750VA
post #995 of 1145 Old 06-25-2014, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Man with all the Dolby Atmos coming to news (coming to BluRay) I wonder if it's possible that Sony could add that feature with a firmware update?
post #996 of 1145 Old 06-25-2014, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
Man with all the Dolby Atmos coming to news (coming to BluRay) I wonder if it's possible that Sony could add that feature with a firmware update?
One can hope. Apparently, Pioneer/Onkyo planned ahead so some of their 2014 models were built with the processing needed to do Atmos with only a firmware update scheduled for later this year. It's possible that Sony could have done the same with its 2014 models (e.g. the 850 and 1050). I would be surprised if they can add Dolby Atmos to the 2013 models (840, 1040, and ES line).
post #997 of 1145 Old 06-25-2014, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The 1040 is pretty state of the art, no? I really hope we can get Dolby Atmos as an add on.
post #998 of 1145 Old 06-25-2014, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Please Help, Sony Wont

I have just purchased the 1040 a week ago and i love the sound on it but i am having some issues that hopefully can be answered on here because i am at a loss.

1. After hooking my PS3 up to it through hdmi, every day my ps3 resets the audio settings and uncheck everything accept 2.0, which is not possible to uncheck on a ps3. No one at sony can tell me why its doing this but its driving me insane.

2. The remote, every time i turn on the receiver and pick and input i have to press the AMP button to use the other buttons on it. It just always defaults to lighting up the RM Setup button. Its so annoying to have to hit AMP every time i need to press a button. Is this happening to anyone else.

3. This one is more of a question not a problem. When you hit display it cycles through volume, audio type etc. PL2 is always on there when i scroll through, but i just want to make sure that when using DD5.1 for instance, that the DD is overwriting the pro logic? Anyone who knows a little more about that would be much appreciated.

Thank so much
post #999 of 1145 Old 06-26-2014, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All - Good afternoon - JUST got my Receiver......its actually updating as we speak.

If someone would be so kind to help with these fairly simple questions - I'm an idiot. How do I setup the receiver to:

1. When I turn the tv off using the tv remote, my previous reciever, a Denon would automatically shutoff/go standby. How do I set that up?
2. Also, I was hoping when I turn my receiver off, that the sound would come through the regular tv speakers if the tv is on. At this time, neither the video or sound come through when tv is on and reciever is off.
3. Is there a way to play sound from 1 source and video from another? For example when my nephew, I help raise him, plays his video games, he sometimes wants to hear the audio from the cable tv (like if a game was going on). So like if I wanted to have the xbox video on and lets say some music from my phone (bluetooth).

Please help! Or if someone knows of a FAQ I can explore, I'll do that too! I have a semi old LG LED tv with something called Simplink.

Thank You in advance! If I can be of any help to anyone, please let me know!
post #1000 of 1145 Old 06-26-2014, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaviSunPatel View Post
Hi All - Good afternoon - JUST got my Receiver......its actually updating as we speak.

If someone would be so kind to help with these fairly simple questions - I'm an idiot. How do I setup the receiver to:

1. When I turn the tv off using the tv remote, my previous reciever, a Denon would automatically shutoff/go standby. How do I set that up?
2. Also, I was hoping when I turn my receiver off, that the sound would come through the regular tv speakers if the tv is on. At this time, neither the video or sound come through when tv is on and reciever is off.
3. Is there a way to play sound from 1 source and video from another? For example when my nephew, I help raise him, plays his video games, he sometimes wants to hear the audio from the cable tv (like if a game was going on). So like if I wanted to have the xbox video on and lets say some music from my phone (bluetooth).

Please help! Or if someone knows of a FAQ I can explore, I'll do that too! I have a semi old LG LED tv with something called Simplink.

Thank You in advance! If I can be of any help to anyone, please let me know!
1) Press the "Home" button on the remote to bring up the GUI. You should see the following options: "Watch", "Listen", "Sound Effects", "Settings". Scroll over to "Settings" and press the big round (+) button in the center of the remote to select it.
2) You should now see the following options listed on the screen: "Easy Setup", "Speaker Settings", "Audio Settings", "HDMI Settings", "Input Settings", "Network Settings", and "System Settings". Scroll down to "HDMI Settings" and press the (+) button to select it.
3) You should now see the following options listed on the screen: "4K Scaling", "Control for HDMI", "Passthru", "Audio Out", "Subwoofer Level", and "Fast View". Scroll down to "Control for HDMI" and press the (+) button to select it.
4) You should now see the following options listed on the screen: "On" and "Off". Selecting "On" will enable the CEC or Control for HDMI function (which Sony calls Bravia Sync). This is the setting that allows your receiver, TV, and source devices to talk to each other, enabling them to turn each other on and off or switch inputs automatically. Note that this setting must be enabled in the settings for each device. The above enables it from the receiver's end. You will also have to go thru the settings on your TV and source devices to turn their CEC or Control for HDMI settings on. I believe that Samsung calls their version Allshare, but am not 100% sure of that. Keep in mind that different manufacturers do things a little differently, so you might get slightly different results using different combinations of brand names. If it turns out to be more of a pain than it is worth then you can always turn this setting off.

5) Press the back button on the remote to go back to the HDMI Settings menu. (Note: if you accidentally exit the menu, just repeat steps 1 & 2 above then proceed to step 6.)
6) You should now see the following options listed on the screen: "4K Scaling", "Control for HDMI", "Passthru", "Audio Out", "Subwoofer Level", and "Fast View". Scroll down to "Passthru" and press the (+) button to select it.
7) You should now see the following options on the screen: "Auto", "On", and "Off". Selecting "On" will enable the Standby Passthru feature. This enables the receiver to pass the audio/video signal from the selected source device thru the receiver and to the display, using HDMI connections, when the receiver is in Standby mode. It will pass the signals from the last source device selected while the receiver was on. If you want a different source, you will have to turn the receiver on to select that source and then turn it back off.

This should answer question #'s 1 & 2.

With regards to question #3 , there are a number of ways to get audio from one source to the receiver while passing the video from another source to the display. The best way depends on how many different outputs your source devices have and how many different inputs your display has (HDMI/Component/Composite for video and HDMI/Optical/Coaxial/Analog for audio) and well as what those sources are and whether or not you prefer using a digital or analog connection for your particular use. In your particular case, you want video to go from the game console to the display while audio goes from (presumably) an HD cable set top box to your AVR. If this is correct then you have a few options...

Option #1 ) If you have multiple HDMI inputs on your display, run the video from the game console directly to the display using an HDMI cable, bypassing the AVR. Selecting that source on the display will enable you to get both video and audio to the display. Since you do not want to hear the game audio, mute the volume on the display. Run an HDMI cable from the cable/satellite/DVR set top box to your AVR. Select the cable box as the source for your AVR and you will get audio from it. Want to switch to music from your phone, using Bluetooth? No problem, just switch the AVR to Bluetooth audio and you can play music from a paired phone. Want to listen to audio from the video game through the receiver? If your TV supports the Audio Return Channel (ARC) feature then press select the TV as the source for your AVR and it will receive whatever audio is being put out by the TV at that time. If you enabled System Audio Control on your TV then it should automatically mute the speakers on the TV while passing audio to the AVR over the Audio Return Channel. If you did not then you can simply turn the TV's speakers down before adjusting the volume on the AVR. If your TV does not support ARC, but does have an Optical Digital Out then you can connect that to the "TV" input on your AVR and use that to pass the audio instead. Failing that, you should be able to run an optical cable directly from the Xbox to the "Game" input on the AVR to pass audio. You may have to adjust the audio setting on the Xbox to get it to output audio over optical while outputting video over HDMI.

Option #2 ) Don't have a spare HDMI input on the back of the TV? If you have a spare Component video input on the TV you could connect the Xbox to the TV using that, while running HDMI from the Xbox to the AVR for when you want both video on the TV and audio from the game coming from the AVR. Again, you would have to adjust the Xbox's settings to send video over component and audio over HDMI. Failing that, you could run an optical cable (instead of HDMI) from the Xbox to the AVR for audio. Just like Option #1 , you are running the audio and video completely separately in this case so you would adjust what you are watching and what you are listening by selecting input sources on both the TV and the AVR.

Option #3 ) The AVR has the ability to flexibly assign component and optical inputs to different sources. However, this approach is somewhat limited. The inputs can't be assigned to every possible source, particularly Bluetooth, Airplay, and other Network functions. So, while you could mix and match audio and video from different sources, feeding everything from the sources, thru the AVR, and to the display in this manner, it won't work in every scenario. It can work for listening to audio from the cable box while watching video from the Xbox. Simply run component video from the Xbox to the AVR and optical audio from the cable box to the AVR. Then, in the Input Settings menu on the AVR, you can assign that component video and optical audio input to the same function. Whenever you select that function (e.g. Game), you'll get video from that component input and audio from that optical input. As I said, there are limitations to this. First, in order to get both audio and video from the Xbox, you will have to go into the Input Settings and change which inputs are assigned to the "Game" function. It beats plugging and unplugging cables, but it is still somewhat tedious. There are only a couple component video inputs and optical/coaxial audio inputs so you can only connect a couple different devices this way. As I mentioned, you can't assign a component video input to the Bluetooth function, so you would not be able to play music from your paired phone while also passing video from the Xbox, thru the AVR, to the TV.

For more information, consult your Owner's Manual. If you lost it, it can be found here...
https://docs.sony.com/release/STRDN1040.pdf

HDMI Settings start on page 99 and Input Settings start on page 100.
cyberized likes this.

Last edited by HockeyoAJB; 06-26-2014 at 01:17 PM.
post #1001 of 1145 Old 06-26-2014, 01:48 PM

Hey HockeyoAJB - Thank you VERY much for the info! That definitely helped out.

I actually figured out the "HDMI PassThru" setting right before I read your msg. To those newbies 1 caveat: There is an HDMI and HDMI ARC on the back of the receiver. Make sure you select the correct one. For me the ARC worked, but the one without didn't. This is for the PassThru setting.

Yeah, #3 seems like a pain in the butt. I'm going to just let that go. He can listen to the audio from his phone ha.

1 more question: What cables would work best for the subwoofer? Before I only had 1 audio cable (just use 1 part of the red/yellow cable)..1 end to the subwoofer and 1 end to the receiver. This Sony has 2 outputs for the subwoofer. On the back of my subwoofer I have all kinds of inputs.

Its a BIC F12 if anyone is familiar with it. You'll see where I was plugging it in (right under the knobs on the right side). Pic attached:
http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/image...12-rear-lg.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015A8Y5M/..._M3T1_ST1_dp_1

Thanks as always!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BICamerica-f12-rear-lg.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	137057  
post #1002 of 1145 Old 06-26-2014, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaviSunPatel View Post
1 more question: What cables would work best for the subwoofer? Before I only had 1 audio cable (just use 1 part of the red/yellow cable)..1 end to the subwoofer and 1 end to the receiver. This Sony has 2 outputs for the subwoofer. On the back of my subwoofer I have all kinds of inputs.

Its a BIC F12 if anyone is familiar with it. You'll see where I was plugging it in (right under the knobs on the right side). Pic attached:
http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/image...12-rear-lg.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015A8Y5M/..._M3T1_ST1_dp_1

Thanks as always!!!
Not sure if I can be much help here. I'm not terribly familiar with subs that use that many different inputs and I have never seen one that had a "Dolby Digital/Prologic" switch. Doesn't really make sense to me. As far as I know, subwoofers don't typically accept encoded audio, so why it would need that switch is beyond me. I am assuming that you would connect one of the subwoofer outputs on the back of the AVR to the Sub In input on the subwoofer, using a standard subwoofer coaxial cable w/ RCA connectors on both ends. The STR DN1040 has 2 subwoofer out connectors so that you can connect 2 separate subwoofers. Hence the "2" in the "7.2" channel network receiver.
post #1003 of 1145 Old 06-26-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post
Not sure if I can be much help here. I'm not terribly familiar with subs that use that many different inputs and I have never seen one that had a "Dolby Digital/Prologic" switch. Doesn't really make sense to me. As far as I know, subwoofers don't typically accept encoded audio, so why it would need that switch is beyond me. I am assuming that you would connect one of the subwoofer outputs on the back of the AVR to the Sub In input on the subwoofer, using a standard subwoofer coaxial cable w/ RCA connectors on both ends. The STR DN1040 has 2 subwoofer out connectors so that you can connect 2 separate subwoofers. Hence the "2" in the "7.2" channel network receiver.
Rock on man...I appreciate the swing at the question! Yeah I have a coaxial from the Sub to one of the outputs on the Sony. I dont think its workings properly but then again I havent run the audio setup yet. I'm going to go through this old dufflebag full of worthless wires and hope I find a 1 to 2 version...i'll plug the 2 ends to the Sony and 1 to the Sub. Wonder if that'll make any difference - prob not.

Not sure why it has all those inputs. I had a very nice person from this site actually who recommended the sub. I'm a beginner in all aspects of AVS, and so really appreciate help from folks from here.

If anyone has any input worth sharing, please do! If not, thanks anyway, and will post an outcome one way or another.

That said...this reciever is AWESOME! Totals kicks my old Denon 1713 out the water. Before, audio files played from phone sounded played low, and max volume never seemed enough. Given that I have a pair of pretty decent Polk Audio speakers, I felt something was missing. This Sony totally wakes up the speakers. Speakers sound great, the video passes through beautifully. The GUI is great - fast and easy to use. Great options for audio. Probably too many options for a guy like me.

Anyone on the boarder...definitely get it!
post #1004 of 1145 Old 06-27-2014, 12:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Using the DN1040 for gaming capture

So after much trial and error I think I've found my problem. I'm a newbie to this kind of stuff but I've always wanted to hook up a home theater so purchasing the 1040 was a good start. I love it so far but I have a simple question that I didn't even know about until a few days ago: Does the DN1040 turn everything that passes through it into an HDCP signal?

I live stream video games and I know for certain that the Sony PS3 has HDCP; so is it also the case that this Sony brand receiver takes all the incoming signals and slaps HDCP on it as soon as I hit the record button? Even my Super Nintendo (I know THAT doesn't have HDCP) won't show up on my screen when I hit record, but otherwise I get a nice clear, upressed image (which is pretty awesome).

I'm trying to set up a nice easy system where I don't have to switch cables out of my capture card every 2 minutes, and I thought a receiver would take care of that; then I learned the hard way what HDCP was. Does that make sense to anyone? Like I said I'm kind of a newbie to this stuff but I have confidence I can solve this problem with a little guidance.

Thanks so much
post #1005 of 1145 Old 06-27-2014, 03:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by franstoobnsf View Post
So after much trial and error I think I've found my problem. I'm a newbie to this kind of stuff but I've always wanted to hook up a home theater so purchasing the 1040 was a good start. I love it so far but I have a simple question that I didn't even know about until a few days ago: Does the DN1040 turn everything that passes through it into an HDCP signal?

I live stream video games and I know for certain that the Sony PS3 has HDCP; so is it also the case that this Sony brand receiver takes all the incoming signals and slaps HDCP on it as soon as I hit the record button? Even my Super Nintendo (I know THAT doesn't have HDCP) won't show up on my screen when I hit record, but otherwise I get a nice clear, upressed image (which is pretty awesome).

I'm trying to set up a nice easy system where I don't have to switch cables out of my capture card every 2 minutes, and I thought a receiver would take care of that; then I learned the hard way what HDCP was. Does that make sense to anyone? Like I said I'm kind of a newbie to this stuff but I have confidence I can solve this problem with a little guidance.

Thanks so much
I've not heard of AVR's adding HDCP to content that did not already have it enabled before it reached the AVR, but I suppose it is possible. For example, I believe that Apple products enable HDCP for anything you output from them, regardless of whether or not the content itself was flagged as being copy protected.

I assume that you are using an HDMI capture device? Have you tried both of the HDMI outputs on the back of the receiver to see if you get different results? Are you saying that you can get video to pass thru your capture device and on to the display so long as you aren't actively recording? Or does the video cut out the second that you turn the capture device on, assuming that the device can be on and previewing the video without recording it?

Last edited by HockeyoAJB; 06-28-2014 at 03:41 AM.
post #1006 of 1145 Old 06-27-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post
I've not heard of AVR's adding HDCP to content that did not already have it enabled before it reached the AVR, but I suppose it is possible. I believe that Apple products enable HDCP for anything you output from them, regardless of whether or not the content itself was flagged as being copy protected.

I assume that you are using an HDMI capture device? Have you tried both of the HDMI outputs on the back of the receiver to see if you get different results? Are you saying that you can get video to pass thru your capture device and on to the display so long as you aren't actively recording? Or does the video cut out the second that you turn the capture device on, assuming that the device can be on and previewing the video without recording it?
Well that's good to know that it's not adding HDCP willy nilly (probably). To clarify your question a little:

I can hook up ANY console through the 1040 to the TV, and get great picture; I can hook up ANY console through the capture card and get a picture on the screen (and then I can even hit record and start recording that); BUT, when the wires go out of the console, into the 1040, then out of the 1040 and into the card, then out the card and into the TV, I do get a picture, and I think all is well... then I hit the record button and I just get a black screen.

What made me think it was an HDCP thing was the fact that the capture card clearly knew it was getting a signal; if stuff isn't working, "no signal" will flash on the screen. Instead what it was telling me was a 1080p, 29.97fps signal was going through, but it was just a black screen. So right now I'm just trying to pinpoint where exactly the issue lies. But I'm confused because I know other people use this receiver for game capture just fine (although they're not using Elgato HD)

I've purchased an HDMI splitter for the output from the AVR, and hopefully that will change something (although I'm a little sad that I'll have to be using a splitter on the AVR that I specifically purchased BECAUSE it was 2 HDMI out ports, but I need to do something)
post #1007 of 1145 Old 06-27-2014, 09:31 AM

Liked: 22
Can some of you in this thread share how the 1040 compares to the Denon X2000? I'm really debating between the two as a replacement for my Onkyo 605.
post #1008 of 1145 Old 06-27-2014, 07:54 PM

Liked: 22
Also, is the Sony more poweful than the Denon X2000?
post #1009 of 1145 Old 06-28-2014, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanamaker View Post
I have just purchased the 1040 a week ago and i love the sound on it but i am having some issues that hopefully can be answered on here because i am at a loss.

1. After hooking my PS3 up to it through hdmi, every day my ps3 resets the audio settings and uncheck everything accept 2.0, which is not possible to uncheck on a ps3. No one at sony can tell me why its doing this but its driving me insane.

2. The remote, every time i turn on the receiver and pick and input i have to press the AMP button to use the other buttons on it. It just always defaults to lighting up the RM Setup button. Its so annoying to have to hit AMP every time i need to press a button. Is this happening to anyone else.

3. This one is more of a question not a problem. When you hit display it cycles through volume, audio type etc. PL2 is always on there when i scroll through, but i just want to make sure that when using DD5.1 for instance, that the DD is overwriting the pro logic? Anyone who knows a little more about that would be much appreciated.

Thank so much
any ideas on this one guys? I'm at the point where i think im just going to return it, which sucks because the sound is so good on it.
post #1010 of 1145 Old 06-28-2014, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

2nd TRY: Anybody besides me using Direct TV SAT with the 1040? If so - have you been able to find a CODE that will work to synch the DTV Remote with the 1040? I have Googled OUT!

TKS michael
post #1011 of 1145 Old 06-28-2014, 08:28 AM

i hope someone can give me some assistance on this.

i am trying to connect my pioneer andrew jones speakers to the sony dn1040(i bought it used via amazon warehouse) in a 2.0 speaker setup (for the time being). i wired up the speakers to the receiver but the receiver just doesnt see it at all. i can setup my network but when i go to easy setup for speakers it says not available. (or even to the speakers option, most things is grayed out)

what am i doing wrong? am i just not doing the wiring correct? i tried banana plugs and bare, no dice. i re-wired it again, still nothing. even if im doing it wrong, wouldnt i get at least some kind of sound even if it was distorted?

i am thinking the receiver i got is just defective.

thanks for any and all help.
post #1012 of 1145 Old 06-28-2014, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Wow, this is an impressive upgrade from my Yamaha 2095. I suppose that’s to be expected with 15 years of AVR development.

I bought mine today at BB for $275 or so (open box) without the remote (thank you Harmony One!) or the auto-mic, but calibrating speaker sizes and distances was pretty straightforward. Is it still worth buying the mic for more precise calibration?

Is the Ethernet hookup worth it if wireless router is 4 inches away? Pandora bluethoothed from my phone was spotty as hell on my first try.

Thanks in advance for feedback!
post #1013 of 1145 Old 06-29-2014, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkinHD View Post
...Is it still worth buying the mic for more precise calibration?

Is the Ethernet hookup worth it if wireless router is 4 inches away? Pandora bluethoothed from my phone was spotty as hell on my first try.

Thanks in advance for feedback!
The automated setup with the included mic is extremely easy and I have been happy with the results. That said, the manual setup is also pretty easy and, according to most reviewers, can give you more accurate results. I suppose the answer to your question depends on how much the mic will cost you as a separate purchase. IMO, the only reason to buy it separately would be to give you peace of mind that your manual setup was as good or better than the automated one.

As far as Ethernet vs. wifi goes...if you have a lot of wireless devices that can not be hard wired and it is affecting your sound quality then it might be worth hard wiring the AVR. Since the AVR can only receive audio and metadata via. Ethernet/wireless, hard wiring it would be low on the priority list compared to devices that stream video. FYI, Bluetooth does not use your wifi/Ethernet network to communicate. Bluetooth has its own wireless protocol, so hardwiring the receiver won't improve Bluetooth sound quality at all (unless you are using a separate Bluetooth dongle that somehow gets better reception than the one built into the AVR).
post #1014 of 1145 Old 06-29-2014, 10:20 AM

Trouble with Remote

Is anyone else having the issue where you have to press the amp button before you can press any other buttons like display. I go to an input by pressing one of the inputs buttons and its like every time i do that it defaults to the RM Setup button at the top to light up when i try to push something else. So when i try to use other amp buttons on the remote like display, i have to press amp again before doing it. Its really annoying to have to press that every time first. Is this normal or am i doing something wrong?
post #1015 of 1145 Old 06-29-2014, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
any ideas on this one guys? I'm at the point where i think im just going to return it, which sucks because the sound is so good on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberized View Post
2nd TRY: Anybody besides me using Direct TV SAT with the 1040? If so - have you been able to find a CODE that will work to synch the DTV Remote with the 1040? I have Googled OUT!

TKS michael
I have the 830, similar to the 1000 series.
cyber, set your dtv output to PCM and control your volume by way of the TV.
swanamaker, it might be the same sort of thing set your audio out to PCM too.
that sends digital to the screen and sends it back to the 1040.
same with the BR player.
post #1016 of 1145 Old 06-29-2014, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayman86 View Post
i hope someone can give me some assistance on this.

i am trying to connect my pioneer andrew jones speakers to the sony dn1040(i bought it used via amazon warehouse) in a 2.0 speaker setup (for the time being). i wired up the speakers to the receiver but the receiver just doesnt see it at all. i can setup my network but when i go to easy setup for speakers it says not available. (or even to the speakers option, most things is grayed out)

what am i doing wrong? am i just not doing the wiring correct? i tried banana plugs and bare, no dice. i re-wired it again, still nothing. even if im doing it wrong, wouldnt i get at least some kind of sound even if it was distorted?

i am thinking the receiver i got is just defective.

thanks for any and all help.
I have the 830 myself. there is a method to do a complete reset to your AVR, not sure if you got a paper or a copy online manual. it should explain how to do it.
it should work with any speakers, I am using some 2x20 and 2x25 year old speakers and 3 new with mine, no problem.
post #1017 of 1145 Old 06-29-2014, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

sony sync features are the same standard as (CEC) all TV, BR players too. my sony remote can operate my panasonic
bluray player. sony just gave it a different name.
hope that helps.

Last edited by eaamon; 06-29-2014 at 02:45 PM.
post #1018 of 1145 Old 07-01-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Is anyone else having the issue where you have to press the amp button before you can press any other buttons like display. I go to an input by pressing one of the inputs buttons and its like every time i do that it defaults to the RM Setup button at the top to light up when i try to push something else. So when i try to use other amp buttons on the remote like display, i have to press amp again before doing it. Its really annoying to have to press that every time first. Is this normal or am i doing something wrong?
anyone else having this issue with the remote?
post #1019 of 1145 Old 07-02-2014, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
I have this same problem!
post #1020 of 1145 Old 07-02-2014, 12:48 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
I noticed the same. Did you try programming the remote to give it codes for other components? There is a separate manual for the remote. I think it does that because it's not programmed.
Ultimately; I didn't bother with it because I kept it as a 'programming remote' and normally use a Harmony remote instead.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Sony Str Dn1040 7 2 Channel 1050 Watt A V Receiver
Gear in this thread - Dn1040 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page