Forum Jump: 

post #1051 of 1055 Old 07-08-2014, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkinHD View Post
If I leave the 1040 in Multi Stereo because I like sound out of all 5 speakers sometimes, does that mean it is not necessary to change settings when playing Dolby or DTS movies because the signals know to change the receiver to 5.1?

When I play Pandora from my media streamer over HDMI, the 1040 flashes Theater then PCM. Where is that Theater setting?
Sound Modes are remembered for each unique input/source. So, if you listen to your music using DLNA, Bluetooth, Airplay, the Network services, USB, or a separate HDMI/Coax/Optical/Analog connection from the one you are using to watch to movies then you won't need to change the Sound Mode when switching from music to movies. However, if you use the same connection for music as you do for movies (e.g. the same Blu-Ray player for both music and movies, using a single HDMI connection) then you will need to change the Sound Mode from Multi-Stereo to A.F.D. (for Dolby/DTS soundtracks) and back again since you are not changing inputs/sources as far as the receiver is concerned. To me it's six one way vs. a half dozen the other, but some people who use the same source device for movies and music will make two separate connections between the source device and the AVR (e.g. HDMI for movies and Optical/Coaxial for music) and set the receiver up to use the appropriate connection based on the Watch/Listen activity selected. For example, when you want to listen to music, you select Listen-->CD and it will switch to the Coaxial/Optical connection and use the Multi-Stereo Sound Mode and when you want to watch a movie, you select Watch-->Blu-Ray and it will switch to the HDMI connection and use the A.F.D. Sound Mode, even though the music and movies are technically coming from the same source device. For some people it's just easier to use the activity based functions than it is to remember which Sound Mode they want to be using for each activity.

Last edited by HockeyoAJB; 07-08-2014 at 02:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1052 of 1055 Old 07-08-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanamaker View Post
Update: switching my hdmi input back to A allowed pass through to work again, does anyone know if it only works through A or do i have some type of bad port?
I believe that Standby Passthru only works for HDMI Monitor Out A.

While the receiver is on, you should be able to pass video to either HDMI Monitor Out A, HDMI Monitor Out B, or both HDMI Monitor Out A+B. I am not sure if you can get audio to pass thru both HDMI Monitor Outs when you have HDMI A+B and AMP+TV selected, or if audio is only passed thru HDMI Monitor Out A in this situation. Obviously audio is only passed thru HDMI Monitor Out A when you have HDMI A and AMP+TV selected but it should pass audio thru HDMI Monitor Out B when you have HDMI B and AMP+TV selected. Again, the receiver has to be on for this to work.
post #1053 of 1055 Old 07-09-2014, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Are you sure the receiver doesn't know to ignore 2-channel mode and output 5.1 discreet channels when the source is Dolby or DTS? When I stream a movie in 5.1, and then switch between Multi-Stereo and AFD modes, the output sounds identical, and the receiver says DTS-MA or whatever regardless.
post #1054 of 1055 Old 07-10-2014, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkinHD View Post
Are you sure the receiver doesn't know to ignore 2-channel mode and output 5.1 discreet channels when the source is Dolby or DTS? When I stream a movie in 5.1, and then switch between Multi-Stereo and AFD modes, the output sounds identical, and the receiver says DTS-MA or whatever regardless.
If the receiver overrode the sound mode you had selected simply because it detected a Dolby/DTS 5.1/7.1 soundtrack then it would limit your ability to adjust the audio to something else, should you prefer it. I haven't tested it with the STR DN1040 yet, but I know that with my old 5.1 channel Sony receiver, if you had Stereo selected then that was what the receiver put out, regardless of what you were feeding it. The DTS/Dolby indicator lights merely inform you that your receiver is receiving a DTS/Dolby soundtrack. It doesn't necessarily mean that what your AVR is putting out is the original 5.1/7.1 mix, with zero modification.

For example, some people prefer using front heights rather than rear surrounds. In this situation, even if you are playing a 7.1 channel soundtrack, you need to be able to switch the receiver's sound mode to Dolby PL IIz. Otherwise, the sounds that were meant for the rear surrounds would be directed to your front heights, which would not sound right. Also, if the soundtrack you are playing is only 5.1, but you want to use all 7.2 speakers you need to be able to use Dolby PL IIx or Dolby PL IIz to do so. While not a feature of the STR DN1040, there are 9.1 and even 11.1 channel receivers with the ability to expand a 2.0/5.1/7.1 soundtrack to use all available speakers using the DTS Neo:X surround processing mode. If your sound mode setting was simply ignored when the receiver detected a Dolby/DTS signal then it would not be possible to force your receiver to use all available speakers when the soundtrack has fewer discrete channels than you have speakers. This would make DTS Neo:X completely worthless since there aren't any 9.1 or 11.1 channel soundtracks available for home use at present.

Similarly, you can also use the sound mode setting to force a 5.1/7.1 soundtrack to be output as stereo, multi-stereo, or any of the other sound modes available on your receiver, regardless of the number of speakers you have attached.
post #1055 of 1055 Old 07-10-2014, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
All owners of SONY STRDN1040,

Do you'll have any recommendation on where I can find good deals on this receiver?

I don't mind getting a used one.

Ali.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Sony Str Dn1040 7 2 Channel 1050 Watt A V Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page