post #1081 of 1100 Old 08-01-2014, 10:58 AM
QKN

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanamaker View Post
i had also noticed this as well as was wondering if it was normal or not.
I think mine has stopped now! I tried shutting network standby off and I havnt heard it since... Although its only been a couple of hours...

Give it a try!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 1100 Old 08-03-2014, 10:03 AM
IRJ

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by seriousjack85 View Post
I see this price has retired. If you see any other nice offer lease let me know I have finally decided to buy a second 1040, this time for my family room as I have one for my home theater already. I believe they provide the best performance/price ratio. I will then wait a few years while the 4K battle and standards properly sorts itself out

Ian
post #1083 of 1100 Old 08-07-2014, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Playing 9.1, 2 ?

I just replaced my Fronts and about to put them on CL for sale......then thought I'd read our 1040 Manual again to see what they said about running Rear Surrounds and Front Highs [presently]....it appears that the manual says you can run them both BUT not at the same time. Goes into NO further detail on the subject though............just to check: I'd have to connect the RS speakers to same posts [B]
as the FHS are connected to - right. And then when I wanted to go to "standard" 7.1 I'd have go into Settings and change from FHS setup to the RS setup....right? If this will work......may try before I sell them.

TKS michael
post #1084 of 1100 Old 08-08-2014, 06:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberized View Post
I just replaced my Fronts and about to put them on CL for sale......then thought I'd read our 1040 Manual again to see what they said about running Rear Surrounds and Front Highs [presently]....it appears that the manual says you can run them both BUT not at the same time. Goes into NO further detail on the subject though............just to check: I'd have to connect the RS speakers to same posts [B]
as the FHS are connected to - right. And then when I wanted to go to "standard" 7.1 I'd have go into Settings and change from FHS setup to the RS setup....right? If this will work......may try before I sell them.

TKS michael
Correct. You would either have to disconnect the speaker wire running from your AVR to your rear surrounds in order to connect the front heights (or vice versa) or use add a separate speaker selector switch. Either way, you would need to rerun the speaker setup each time you switched.
post #1085 of 1100 Old 08-08-2014, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post
Correct. You would either have to disconnect the speaker wire running from your AVR to your rear surrounds in order to connect the front heights (or vice versa) or use add a separate speaker selector switch. Either way, you would need to rerun the speaker setup each time you switched.

What I am asking, is STUPID, asking anyway - - - IF I had them both connected up at the SAME TIME, to Posts @ "B" [w/o disconnecting either one] - - - could a person then go into our "Settings" and change from one Setup or to the other {FHS or RS} and expect them to work properly [recive the signals for appropriate speakers]?

TKS
post #1086 of 1100 Old 08-08-2014, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
What I am asking, is STUPID, asking anyway - - - IF I had them both connected up at the SAME TIME, to Posts @ "B" [w/o disconnecting either one] - - - could a person then go into our "Settings" and change from one Setup or to the other {FHS or RS} and expect them to work properly [recive the signals for appropriate speakers]?

TKS
No. A speaker post is not able to distinguish between which speaker wires are leading to which speakers nor does it have a way of isolating the connections from eachother so that electricity flows to one but not the other. If you attempted to connect two speaker wires to the same post then current will flow thru both (provided the electricity has somewhere to go). Your amp would attempt to drive both the front heights and the rear surrounds simultaneously, but it wouldn't have the juice to do it at the proper SPL. Best case is that the sound coming from those speakers would be much quieter than the rest of your speakers. Worst case is you damage the speakers and/or amp. If you want to swap between front heights and rear surrounds then the most convenient way to do so is a speaker selector switch. Otherwise, your best bet is to use banana plugs on the ends of the speaker wires that connect to the AVR and physically swap which speakers are plugged in and which are not. Unless you are doing sound demos to prospective buyers to show them the difference between rear surrounds and front heights, it's not really worth the effort.

If you are doing those sorts of demos, you would probably be better off with a 9.1 receiver where you can have it all hooked up all of the time and just use the AVR's speaker setup to swap between rear surrounds, front heights, or both.
cyberized likes this.
post #1087 of 1100 Old 08-11-2014, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
1040 remote doesn't work with DISH VIP722

Anyone been able to get the DN1040 remote to operate a Dish VIP722 receiver, which is a popular, highly-rated receiver.

The 1040's "programming the remote control" section doesn't even list a "Dish" brand. The only listing I found was one under "satellite tuner" for "JVC/EchoStar/Dish Network"

I surprised there's no "Dish Network" listed anywhere (and no Direct TV either).

If I can't control both the VIP722 and the DN1040 using the same remote, ONE of them is going to be returned (and it won't be the Dish receiver).

Has Sony not heard about satellite receivers?

I ordered the latest version of Dish's remote today (the 20.1) and I'm hoping that it will have the codes for the DN1040. But I'm not holding my breath.

DadCat
post #1088 of 1100 Old 08-11-2014, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadCat1093 View Post
Anyone been able to get the DN1040 remote to operate a Dish VIP722 receiver, which is a popular, highly-rated receiver.

The 1040's "programming the remote control" section doesn't even list a "Dish" brand. The only listing I found was one under "satellite tuner" for "JVC/EchoStar/Dish Network"

I surprised there's no "Dish Network" listed anywhere (and no Direct TV either).

If I can't control both the VIP722 and the DN1040 using the same remote, ONE of them is going to be returned (and it won't be the Dish receiver).

I ordered the latest version of Dish's remote today (the 20.1) and I'm hoping that it will have the codes for the DN1040. But I'm not holding my breath.

DadCat

GOOD Luck! I am with DirecTV SAT and am puzzled too WHY Sony has not provided DTV with the necessary Code to synch up the 2 remotes so we can use the DTV Remote to control Mute/Volume instead of having to use both remotes. They have a zillion other Sony AVRs listed on DTV. Wrote several requests to Sony Tech Support and they did not appear to understand what I was asking them......WEIRD!
post #1089 of 1100 Old 08-11-2014, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
GOOD Luck! I am with DirecTV SAT and am puzzled too WHY Sony has not provided DTV with the necessary Code to synch up the 2 remotes so we can use the DTV Remote to control Mute/Volume instead of having to use both remotes. They have a zillion other Sony AVRs listed on DTV. Wrote several requests to Sony Tech Support and they did not appear to understand what I was asking them......WEIRD!
Have you experimented with codes for any of the other zillion Sony AVR's listed on DTV? They might be the same. I haven't bothered to program my DirecTV remote to control the receiver directly because I can already control the receiver's basic functions (power and volume) thru CEC Control for HDMI thru the TV, using the DirecTV remote, since I have programmed it to control the TV and I have System Audio enabled on the TV with the TV's internal speakers turned off. This has the added benefit of giving me an oncreen volume indicator.
post #1090 of 1100 Old 08-11-2014, 09:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadCat1093 View Post

DadCat
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post
Have you experimented with codes for any of the other zillion Sony AVR's listed on DTV? They might be the same. I haven't bothered to program my DirecTV remote to control the receiver directly because I can already control the receiver's basic functions (power and volume) thru CEC Control for HDMI thru the TV, using the DirecTV remote, since I have programmed it to control the TV and I have System Audio enabled on the TV with the TV's internal speakers turned off. This has the added benefit of giving me an oncreen volume indicator.

Gents,

A word of caution. Don't go looking at the STR-DN1050 if you want a programmable remote. It's really dumbed down and pretty much only controls the Receiver. (I t It great for those who find the "All in one" type remotes confusing. I often wonder if a 1040 remote would work as sometimes it would be great to have it all in one.

Regards,

Jim
post #1091 of 1100 Old 08-12-2014, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

DTV Code has Landed!

It appears that my FINAL attempt to explain to Sony about DTV NOT being supplied THEIR [sony's]
code, as they have with previous Sony AVRs, was finally understood and, thank God, someone acted and the STR-DN 1040 is NOW listed in the Sony AVR List at/on DTV. Thank YOU, Sony, I can now easily control my Volume and Mute - with just ONE Remote [the DTV Remote].

Carry ON!
post #1092 of 1100 Old 08-18-2014, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Does anyone know if d.c.a.c. will eq the sub. Went through most of this thread, but can't seem to find the answer here or though google. Thanks
post #1093 of 1100 Old 08-19-2014, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
look here
http://www.audioholics.com/av-receiv...-sound-quality
the set up on my 830 it did adjust the sub on that one to a +10

my HT
post #1094 of 1100 Old 08-19-2014, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
just to follow up. after viewing the article. sony uses dcac on all their systems.
on my 830 you could go back and see how much every speaker was adjusted.
I did this just to be sure my system was balanced properly. if there was a bad
speaker (most of mine use 3 in the box) I would think see it set far from the other pair.

my HT
post #1095 of 1100 Old 08-19-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaamon View Post
look here
http://www.audioholics.com/av-receiv...-sound-quality
the set up on my 830 it did adjust the sub on that one to a +10
Thanks for the reply. I had already read that and was not sure if It just adjusted the sub level or actually applied room correction eq to the subwoofer . But the article says dcac applies room correction to all speakers, they didn't say if the boost in lower frequencys was done to the main speakers or the sub, unless I read it wrong. Will have to read it again
post #1096 of 1100 Old 08-19-2014, 01:30 PM

Just read it again, and it states that dcac applied a 10 db boost to the sub level. So I'm still not sure if it will eq the sub or only adjust the sub level
post #1097 of 1100 Old 08-19-2014, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
My guess is that since that was the graph that he got after DCAC, then it just boosted the low frequencies and applied little to no EQ.

For me, DCAC says my Hsu VTF sub set at 90db is a level match to my other speakers running at 75db, so basically I'd say DCAC sucks for subwoofer calibration all around.
post #1098 of 1100 Old 08-19-2014, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkinHD View Post
My guess is that since that was the graph that he got after DCAC, then it just boosted the low frequencies and applied little to no EQ.

For me, DCAC says my Hsu VTF sub set at 90db is a level match to my other speakers running at 75db, so basically I'd say DCAC sucks for subwoofer calibration all around.
Thanks. Waiting for the sony to be shipped, so I was kind of curious. But with previous receivers I have never liked what audyssey or ypao did with my setup anyway. I will give dcac a try, but I'm not keeping my hopes up. Thanks again for the replies
post #1099 of 1100 Old Yesterday, 07:54 PM

New firmware out on the 18th for the DN840. Did the 1040 get one as well?

I had heard the 840 update offered improved Netflix and dolby digital plus functionality
post #1100 of 1100 Old Yesterday, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I didn't get a firmware prompt but I'll check it manually. Thanks for the heads up!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Sony Str Dn1040 7 2 Channel 1050 Watt A V Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page