Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1112 of 1137 Old 08-27-2014, 01:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Are your 1040 and iPad/iPhone on same network? AirPlay work just fine here and have worked all the time for me. Probably something wrong with your 1040 then.
post #1113 of 1137 Old 08-28-2014, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Everything is on the same network. What strange is, Airplay work between my laptop and the 1040 but not with my iPhone 5 or iPad 3. Go figure.
post #1114 of 1137 Old 08-31-2014, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi all, I have a question about this receiver. I have a pioneer kuro KPR-500M and as many of you know it's plagued with the rgb bug. Is there a way to force this receiver to output rgb 16-235? I have my pc connected to the receiver and it has a washed out image and I would like to correct this.
post #1115 of 1137 Old 08-31-2014, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

As far as I know there's no adjustable RGB limited or full options on the 1040. Even deep color pass through is automatic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1116 of 1137 Old 09-01-2014, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I got a Sony str-k750p and it's stuck on CD mode and won't let me change to different channels any idea's
post #1117 of 1137 Old 09-01-2014, 07:51 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judson Cass View Post
I got a Sony str-k750p and it's stuck on CD mode and won't let me change to different channels any idea's
Do you have it powered on zone 2?
post #1118 of 1137 Old 09-02-2014, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Does anyone know whether the audio offset time is applied per input or is it the same for each input. I ask because with me, different inputs require slightly different audio adjustments.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #1119 of 1137 Old 09-03-2014, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Searched here to find out if we can use Headphones and if so - do they work well etc.; and/or Bluetooth Headphones and the 1040. All I can find is that others have brought up these questions - BUT - NO one has responded. PLEASE tell us IF you are using Headphones and do they work well with our AVR..........any and all input appreciated on this subject.....

Thanks, michael
post #1120 of 1137 Old 09-03-2014, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

michael i wish i could help you but i never tried headphones with the 1040. I can't see why it wouldn't work or sound great.
I own Astro A50 if you don't know they're 7.1 gaming headphones with its own decoder.
cyberized likes this.
post #1121 of 1137 Old 09-04-2014, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberized View Post
Searched here to find out if we can use Headphones and if so - do they work well etc.; and/or Bluetooth Headphones and the 1040. All I can find is that others have brought up these questions - BUT - NO one has responded. PLEASE tell us IF you are using Headphones and do they work well with our AVR..........any and all input appreciated on this subject.....

Thanks, michael
From the Sony STR-DN1040 manual:

This receiver supports the
following Bluetooth version and profiles.

Supported Bluetooth version:
Bluetooth Specification version 3.0

Supported Bluetooth profiles:

A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution
Profile): Receiving audio content of high quality

AVRCP 1.3 (Audio Video Remote Control
Profile): Controlling audio/video
equipment; pausing, stopping, starting
playback, volume control, etc

I haven't tried pairing Bluetooth headphones, but from the manual it appears the receiver only receives audio content from Bluetooth devices, no Bluetooth output to devices. The receiver does have a Phones jack on the front, so wired headphones should work.
cyberized likes this.

post #1122 of 1137 Old 09-04-2014, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by donebu View Post
From the Sony STR-DN1040 manual:

This receiver supports the
following Bluetooth version and profiles.

Supported Bluetooth version:
Bluetooth Specification version 3.0

Supported Bluetooth profiles:

A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution
Profile): Receiving audio content of high quality

AVRCP 1.3 (Audio Video Remote Control
Profile): Controlling audio/video
equipment; pausing, stopping, starting
playback, volume control, etc

I haven't tried pairing Bluetooth headphones, but from the manual it appears the receiver only receives audio content from Bluetooth devices, no Bluetooth output to devices. The receiver does have a Phones jack on the front, so wired headphones should work.
The receiver acts as a Bluetooth Receiver only, not a Bluetooth Transmitter, so it can't be paired with Bluetooth headphones or speakers. AFAIK, nobody makes an AVR that can send Bluetooth audio, only receive it. If your goal is to send audio from the receiver to a pair of Bluetooth headphones wirelessly then you would need to purchase a separate Bluetooth Transmitter. I've done a decent amount of research looking for a solution to this and the best option I could find was the Avantree Priva AptX Low Latency Bluetooth Transmitter for about $70. With the STR DN1040, you have two options for how to hook this up, each with its own set of pros and cons...

1) Connect the Avantree Priva to the headphone out jack on the receiver (using the supplied minijack cable and a 1/4" to 3.5mm minijack adaptor).

This will enable you to listen to any source you have connected to your receiver (both digital and analog), including audio it receives via. its USB, Airplay, Bluetooth, DLNA, and Network services as well as TV audio (via. HDMI ARC) and its built-in AM/FM tuner. The only con is that the headphone jack is a main zone output and use of the jack will cause all other speaker outputs to be muted. I.e. you can't listen to audio passing thru the AVR while somebody else is using the speakers with this option.

2) Connect the Avantree Priva to the Zone 2 stereo analog preamp outputs (using the supplied minijack cable and stereo RCA to 3.5mm minijack adaptor).

This will enable you to listen on your headphones to either the same source or a different source than the one playing over the speakers in the main zone, simultaneously. The only con is that the Zone 2 stereo analog preamp outputs only work for the AM/FM tuner and any sources you have connected to the AVR using analog connections. None of the audio from your digital sources (HDMI, Coaxial, Optical, USB, Airplay, Bluetooth, DLNA, or Network) can be fed to the headphones with this option.

Of coarse, you always have the option to switch between the two connection methods as desired.
cyberized likes this.

Last edited by HockeyoAJB; 09-04-2014 at 06:33 AM.
post #1123 of 1137 Old 09-04-2014, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

I did find a "Jack Adapter" and plug in my Sennheiser Phones I have on my puter......I did get sound but only from one side.
Any suggestions for a GOOD set of Stereo HPhones to plug in since BT is now OUT?

TKS
post #1124 of 1137 Old 09-04-2014, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I did find a "Jack Adapter" and plug in my Sennheiser Phones I have on my puter......I did get sound but only from one side.
Any suggestions for a GOOD set of Stereo HPhones to plug in since BT is now OUT?

TKS
Do you prefer in-ear, on-ear, or over-ear? Do you want active noise cancellation or is good passive noise isolation good enough? Are you worried about others being able to hear the audio you are listening to while you have the headphones on? Or, do you not anticipate needing any form of noise cancellation/isolation, in which case a pair of open backs might be an option? Would the headphones only use be for listening to audio from your AVR or do you want Bluetooth capability for portability when you go outside of the house? Do you want the headphones to be able to used to take phone calls? Do you plan to listen to a decent amount of hi-res audio (SACD/DVD-A/Blu-Ray Pure Audio/HD downloads) or is CD quality 16-bit/44.1kHz sufficient? Do you like a lot of bass in your headphones or do you prefer a nice flat rendering of the audio? What is your price range?

The headphone market is overflowing with different brand names and features currently, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. So, it would be hard to recommend a pair without a little more information on what you need.
post #1125 of 1137 Old 09-04-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:

TKS

Some headphone jack adapters aren't stereo, photo example on top is mono, bottom is stereo.
cyberized likes this.

Last edited by donebu; 09-04-2014 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Photos didn't work
post #1126 of 1137 Old 09-04-2014, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post
Do you prefer in-ear, on-ear, or over-ear? Do you want active noise cancellation or is good passive noise isolation good enough? Are you worried about others being able to hear the audio you are listening to while you have the headphones on? Or, do you not anticipate needing any form of noise cancellation/isolation, in which case a pair of open backs might be an option? Would the headphones only use be for listening to audio from your AVR or do you want Bluetooth capability for portability when you go outside of the house? Do you want the headphones to be able to used to take phone calls? Do you plan to listen to a decent amount of hi-res audio (SACD/DVD-A/Blu-Ray Pure Audio/HD downloads) or is CD quality 16-bit/44.1kHz sufficient? Do you like a lot of bass in your headphones or do you prefer a nice flat rendering of the audio? What is your price range?

The headphone market is overflowing with different brand names and features currently, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. So, it would be hard to recommend a pair without a little more information on what you need.

Since I replaced my 8" Suub with a BIC 12", ven though I have it turned way down, am afraid watching TV and BD's that my neighbor or the manager is going to e a knockin' on me door....so this is why I am considering using some good, hopefully 5.1/7.1 Headphones......so that is what I want them for.....price wise, under $100. Found some thatseem to fit the bill on Amazon - they are for PC Gaming......NO RCA Jack, they plug into USB port.....maybe USB to Jack adapter????

TKS
post #1127 of 1137 Old 09-04-2014, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Since I replaced my 8" Suub with a BIC 12", ven though I have it turned way down, am afraid watching TV and BD's that my neighbor or the manager is going to e a knockin' on me door....so this is why I am considering using some good, hopefully 5.1/7.1 Headphones......so that is what I want them for.....price wise, under $100. Found some thatseem to fit the bill on Amazon - they are for PC Gaming......NO RCA Jack, they plug into USB port.....maybe USB to Jack adapter????

TKS
If the headphones have a USB plug on them then that means they are looking for a digital input signal and have their own internal DAC. They are meant to be plugged into the USB port on a computer. You can't just buy a basic adapter that has a male headphone jack on one end (for plugging into your AVR) and a female USB port on the other (for connecting your USB headphones). The adaptor would have to include Analog to Digital conversion circuitry as well. Add that to the fact that the headphones likely draw power from the USB port (which means you would need an active converter, i.e. one that has a power cord) and might need to be able to communicate with the software installed on a computer to actually function and I think its safe to say that this is the wrong avenue to pursue.

If you are ok with stereo then there are quite a few options around the $100 mark that might be suitable. Bose, Sony, and Sennheiser make some pretty decent budget stereo headphones.

If you want surround sound headphones that can accept a stereo analog input (from the AVR) and then upmix using surround processing then you will need to increase your budget. Sony and Sennheiser each make some very nice surround sound headphones that can accept both stereo analog and multichannel digital audio signals and decode/process them, but they start at $280 and go up to $500.

Your other option is to go with a cheap set of surround sound headphones with USB input (like the ones you found) and feed the output of your receiver into an analog capture card/device, which would be plugged into your computer and then your headphones would plug into the PC. However, this is likely to add a good bit of latency. This won't be an issue for audio-only sources like music, but would create lip sync problems for AV sources like a movie or TV show.
cyberized likes this.
post #1128 of 1137 Old 09-07-2014, 04:02 PM

Liked: 10
I am just having issues with my front HDMI port (HDMI 2)
I used to have a Blu-Ray Player hooked up, and it worked fine then. Recently I hooked up my PC, to stream some video off it with an HDMI cable. No matter what is streaming the audio is always sounding off. Generally rule is if their is soundtrack the music is always louder and the dialogue is a bit muffled.

If I unplug my chromecast (the only other easily accessible port removing and adding something) which is setup to output video to TV and push the audio out to the receiver it works just fine. To be clear all other connected devices to receiver sound fine (cable box etc), its just the front HDMI port that is acting up. (clearly it isnt the cable)

I am not sure if I just messed up the audio settings for this port, or if there is a quick way to return it to its default state, I was hoping I could get some tips. Thanks!
post #1129 of 1137 Old 09-07-2014, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

So - I have continued "investigation" to try to find some Surround Sound Headphones that will jack into our H.P. Input on the front of our 1040 avr. I cannot find such an animal....BUT....I have found what could be a solution [it does not involve the HP Input though]. 1] Turtle Beach Earforce DSS and DSS2 [uses out Optical Digital out and our USB for Power] + their Wired or BT Headphones. 2] Astro Mix AMP PRO Kit [not sure about this solution.....might or might not work].
post #1130 of 1137 Old 09-08-2014, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

At what level do all of you listen to movies (or games) on your 1040? I find that 30-35(%?) is the sweet spot. That yields 75-85dB in my small
Brooklyn apartment. Any louder I worry I'll get complaints.

Also are do any 1040 owners interested in Dolby Atmos?
post #1131 of 1137 Old 09-08-2014, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

"Also are do any 1040 owners interested in Dolby Atmos? "

NOT enough to have to buy a NEW Receiver!

I am Running my 1040 w/o Rear Surrounds BUT with Front High Speakers......which is a NEW Experience.
IF I set my Volume to 35.....my whole Mobile Home Park would be stringing me up.............
helvetica bold likes this.
post #1132 of 1137 Old 09-10-2014, 08:17 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokie56 View Post
I am just having issues with my front HDMI port (HDMI 2)
I used to have a Blu-Ray Player hooked up, and it worked fine then. Recently I hooked up my PC, to stream some video off it with an HDMI cable. No matter what is streaming the audio is always sounding off. Generally rule is if their is soundtrack the music is always louder and the dialogue is a bit muffled.

If I unplug my chromecast (the only other easily accessible port removing and adding something) which is setup to output video to TV and push the audio out to the receiver it works just fine. To be clear all other connected devices to receiver sound fine (cable box etc), its just the front HDMI port that is acting up. (clearly it isnt the cable)

I am not sure if I just messed up the audio settings for this port, or if there is a quick way to return it to its default state, I was hoping I could get some tips. Thanks!
So no one has any ideas?

I think I just screwed up the settings for Video 2, I just cant figure out a way to restore that profile back to default (since I don't know exactly what I changed , my first receiver) Thanks for any help
post #1133 of 1137 Old 09-15-2014, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
At what level do all of you listen to movies (or games) on your 1040? I find that 30-35(%?) is the sweet spot. That yields 75-85dB in my small
Brooklyn apartment. Any louder I worry I'll get complaints.

Also are do any 1040 owners interested in Dolby Atmos?
Quote:
"Also are do any 1040 owners interested in Dolby Atmos? "

NOT enough to have to buy a NEW Receiver!

I am Running my 1040 w/o Rear Surrounds BUT with Front High Speakers......which is a NEW Experience.
IF I set my Volume to 35.....my whole Mobile Home Park would be stringing me up.............
I run mine at 37 most times and then 54 for movies, on my 830.
you problem may be related to the sub woofer if you have one.
even though the sub will put out audio well below your hearing range. I try to advise
those one that forum not to buy a sub until you live in a single family home.
a sub can shake your neighbors walls and you might not even hear anything.
at a home theater group meeting from AVS a member had a 1000 watt 15" sub that
he was testing with the realtrap CD. at 15 Hz not a thing could be heard in the theater
room, but 40 feet away he could hear a window shelving system his wife had in her kitchen
vibrate with all the dishes on it. then at 17 Hz still not sounds heard yet his real wall and
what sounded like the picture frames were vibrating. after grabbing all the
picture frames to quiet the glass in them. he and his helper realized it was really the wall
that was severely shaking (his house was coming apart.)
food for thought.........

my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1134 of 1137 Old 09-15-2014, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaamon View Post
I run mine at 37 most times and then 54 for movies, on my 830.
you problem may be related to the sub woofer if you have one.
even though the sub will put out audio well below your hearing range. I try to advise
those one that forum not to buy a sub until you live in a single family home.
a sub can shake your neighbors walls and you might not even hear anything.
at a home theater group meeting from AVS a member had a 1000 watt 15" sub that
he was testing with the realtrap CD. at 15 Hz not a thing could be heard in the theater
room, but 40 feet away he could hear a window shelving system his wife had in her kitchen
vibrate with all the dishes on it. then at 17 Hz still not sounds heard yet his real wall and
what sounded like the picture frames were vibrating. after grabbing all the
picture frames to quiet the glass in them. he and his helper realized it was really the wall
that was severely shaking (his house was coming apart.)
food for thought.........
Those numbers sound about right for me too. 30-45 for TV shows and 40-55 for movies, depending on the sound mix quality, time of day, etc.

I'm hitting 75db with the test tones with the volume between 60 and 62, and getting 105db bass peaks with the volume at 50.

Last edited by tinkinHD; 09-16-2014 at 06:16 AM.
post #1135 of 1137 Old 09-18-2014, 06:16 AM

Quick note re: my STR-DN1040 and the HDMI OUT/power surges...

I have had this receiver for several months now. Overall, pretty happy with it.

We had a pretty rough storm recently pass through, and the power was tripped in the room where this receiver was plugged in (which was on a surge protector). When the power came back on, the receiver started back up fine...but I noticed signals weren't coming through to the TV like they were before. After some testing, I found out the HDMI OUT(s) on the receiver were no longer working/fried!

Long story short, I luckily bought an extended warrant with BBuy, and was able to get it fixed via Geek Squad. Unfortunately, it took a month from dropping it off to get it back(!). They found the HDMI problem, as I suspected, and ordered the board from Sony. They ended up getting a bad/faulty board...so they had to re-order. Oy! I just got it back home (finally), tested everything, and it's working well.

Has anyone else with this receiver (or any other brand) had problems with HDMI OUT/IN and power surges/spikes?

Also, side note...our cable box (Cisco Record 6 DVR) also had it's HDMI scrapped in the same storm (also plugged into surge protector). The cable box worked/turned on, and worked with composite cables...but not with HDMI.

Samsung 52"  |  Samsung BD-C6500  |  Sony STR-DN1040
L/R: Infinity Entra Two  |  C: Infinity Entra  |  Surround: Polk TL1  |  Sub: Yamaha YST-SW215

post #1136 of 1137 Old 09-18-2014, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Hammersley View Post
Quick note re: my STR-DN1040 and the HDMI OUT/power surges...

I have had this receiver for several months now. Overall, pretty happy with it.

We had a pretty rough storm recently pass through, and the power was tripped in the room where this receiver was plugged in (which was on a surge protector). When the power came back on, the receiver started back up fine...but I noticed signals weren't coming through to the TV like they were before. After some testing, I found out the HDMI OUT(s) on the receiver were no longer working/fried!

Long story short, I luckily bought an extended warrant with BBuy, and was able to get it fixed via Geek Squad. Unfortunately, it took a month from dropping it off to get it back(!). They found the HDMI problem, as I suspected, and ordered the board from Sony. They ended up getting a bad/faulty board...so they had to re-order. Oy! I just got it back home (finally), tested everything, and it's working well.

Has anyone else with this receiver (or any other brand) had problems with HDMI OUT/IN and power surges/spikes?

Also, side note...our cable box (Cisco Record 6 DVR) also had it's HDMI scrapped in the same storm (also plugged into surge protector). The cable box worked/turned on, and worked with composite cables...but not with HDMI.
Now -would be a good time to connect everything you value to a UPS (1500) -Your Surge Protector is ONE -Time and DONE - That means it may have saved you once (that you don't know about) and it was then DONE! -resulting in your current loss.

Being on a UPS (not so Much for HOld over Run time) but to provide constant clean power and should you be watching or using the equipment connected it will allow you time to turn everything off.

You can still use your (now) damaged Surge protector as a power strip connected to the ups if you wish to add more coverage.

It will save your equipment Time & time again. Just a suggestion
post #1137 of 1137 Old 09-18-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westdc View Post
Now -would be a good time to connect everything you value to a UPS (1500) -Your Surge Protector is ONE -Time and DONE - That means it may have saved you once (that you don't know about) and it was then DONE! -resulting in your current loss.

Being on a UPS (not so Much for HOld over Run time) but to provide constant clean power and should you be watching or using the equipment connected it will allow you time to turn everything off.

You can still use your (now) damaged Surge protector as a power strip connected to the ups if you wish to add more coverage.

It will save your equipment Time & time again. Just a suggestion
Thanks for the reply...I did replace my surge protector immediately / got rid of the old one. Never dawned on me that those are one-and-done. Good to know! I will look into a UPS/makes sense. I was just surprised at how everything was fine after the surge/spike except for the HDMI. Now I know...

Samsung 52"  |  Samsung BD-C6500  |  Sony STR-DN1040
L/R: Infinity Entra Two  |  C: Infinity Entra  |  Surround: Polk TL1  |  Sub: Yamaha YST-SW215

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Sony Str Dn1040 7 2 Channel 1050 Watt A V Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page