Sony STR-DN1040 Official Thread - Page 39 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1141 of 1145 Old 10-07-2014, 06:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Called Vtuner today and the tech I spoken too said that the
Vtuner will be back up and running in days since the fix from Sony was only done last Friday on the other sony products that they sell with the Vtuner.
Glad that they are taking care of this problem....JT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1142 of 1145 Old 10-09-2014, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
VTuner is now back and sounding good.
post #1143 of 1145 Old 10-09-2014, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Full noob to home theater but find the 1040 piquing my interest. The stats look good and see some rave reviews but also issues and troubleshooting here. Owners would you still recommend it?

room is ~500-600 sq feet and would be used for music too, thinking 7.2 would be better both tv & music

LG 55" tv has limited HDMI's so will need a good amount on receiver eventually, would connect 4-5 hdmi's and wired or Bluetooth audio. May pair it with polk tsi500 towers, psw10 sub, cs10 center, and polk surrounds
post #1144 of 1145 Old 10-14-2014, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I too am curious about this and need to replace an STR-DA7ES that I love but has no HDMI and no Dolby Digital Plus (Netflix, etc.)

My budget is exactly $400 so this is it for Sony.

However, Amazon reviews are a HUGE red flag. Usually low reviews can be dismissed as uninformed people, people with an axe to grind, people just giving a 1-star review because they got a dead unit or something silly, etc. Not the case here.

When 1-star reviews are more than 10% of the 5-star reviews, that's a bad sign. Here they're 38% and most say the same thing -- that this receiver is a lemon and has major issues with garbage parts that cause huge issues with HDMI ports and more.

Are these issues addressed?
post #1145 of 1145 Old 10-14-2014, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agrajag View Post
I too am curious about this and need to replace an STR-DA7ES that I love but has no HDMI and no Dolby Digital Plus (Netflix, etc.)

My budget is exactly $400 so this is it for Sony.

However, Amazon reviews are a HUGE red flag. Usually low reviews can be dismissed as uninformed people, people with an axe to grind, people just giving a 1-star review because they got a dead unit or something silly, etc. Not the case here.

When 1-star reviews are more than 10% of the 5-star reviews, that's a bad sign. Here they're 38% and most say the same thing -- that this receiver is a lemon and has major issues with garbage parts that cause huge issues with HDMI ports and more.

Are these issues addressed?
All I can say is that I have not had any issues with mine. I would certainly trust the reliability of its components more than an Onkyo. If I were to go back to late 2013 and buy a receiver all over again (knowing what I know now), I would still pick the STR DN1040. IMO, it was the best receiver (below $1000) available at that time. That said, if I were looking to buy a receiver now, I'd be extremely tempted to spend a couple hundred more for a Denon/Marantz/Yamaha receiver that can do Dolby Atmos. Barring that, I would certainly consider going with the newer STR DN1050 if the difference in price is only $50 to $100. As things are, I am very happy with my STR DN1040 and have no plans to upgrade for at least 3 more years. Hopefully by then, all of the specs for 4K content and the various object-based audio formats will be squared away and fully supported so that I don't have to worry about the next AVR being unable to make he most of whatever content is available for the following 5-10 years.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Sony Str Dn1040 7 2 Channel 1050 Watt A V Receiver
Gear in this thread - Dn1040 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page