Sony STR-DN1040 Official Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1137 Old 06-10-2013, 04:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What does a powered Zone 2 mean? I have the receiver setup as a 5.1 in my Living Room and the remaining 2 "B" speakers are outside. I use the "speakers" button on the front panel to toggle between A, B and A+B. A and A+B works fine, but when selecting "B", the inside rear speakers are still on.

Anyone have any ideas to allow me to toggle between inside only, outside only and both?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1137 Old 06-10-2013, 08:28 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sutton8 View Post

No, you'll have to use preouts and external amplification for zone 2. Which seems a bit silly since the unit has seven amps but there you go.
There is a menu setting to tell it what role you want that set of speaker terminals to perform.
I recall seeing it during my setup process. But I don't see it anywhere in the Settings menu now.
So I believe it was during running the "Auto Calibration" routine where it asks you for how you want to specify your speakers setup.
There will be a choice to set that speaker output to perform as rear surrounds or to act as a second Front pair "B" speakers. That's how you set it up.
Best to look at the manual if you are not sure what I said above. But it is configurable and you have to tell the receiver to set it to act as a second set of FRONT "B" speakers.

Words of wisdom, "The more you know, the more you know that you don't know."
post #93 of 1137 Old 06-10-2013, 11:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by farbnj View Post

What does a powered Zone 2 mean? I have the receiver setup as a 5.1 in my Living Room and the remaining 2 "B" speakers are outside. I use the "speakers" button on the front panel to toggle between A, B and A+B. A and A+B works fine, but when selecting "B", the inside rear speakers are still on.

Anyone have any ideas to allow me to toggle between inside only, outside only and both?

Zone two allows the amp to play a second stereo source in another location whilst you are using 5 channel in the main zone. It is usually a standard feature of seven channel amps such as this one. So for example you could simultaneously be playing a 5.1 BD in the lounge and listening to a CD in another room. Typically, though not always, digital sources can't be played in Zone 2. Usually it is only analogue and network feeds that will go to 2. That is not the same as AB speakers.

The idea behind AB is to allow dual stereo speakers in the main zone. So in effect you have two front lefts and two front rights run in parallel.

Anthem MRX 710 : Monitor Audio Apex 5-A40 : Paradigm Seismic 110 : Panasonic TX-P65VT65B : Oppo 103D
post #94 of 1137 Old 06-10-2013, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbiased View Post

There is a menu setting to tell it what role you want that set of speaker terminals to perform.
I recall seeing it during my setup process.

I had a quick look in th manual yesterday and there does not seem to be an option for a powered zone 2. They don't seem to have implemented that for some reason and you are forced to use the preouts and other amplification. Bit odd.

Anthem MRX 710 : Monitor Audio Apex 5-A40 : Paradigm Seismic 110 : Panasonic TX-P65VT65B : Oppo 103D
post #95 of 1137 Old 06-12-2013, 02:22 PM

Hi guys,

Since yesterday i also belong to the group as a (proud?) new Sony AV receiver owner.

I upgraded from ONKYO SR806 model of late 2008 to the current one.

I was satisfied with ONKYO (THX certification rules) but the video processing was awful as wells as the power consumption even in standby.

I wanted to get the ONKYO 828 but i thought the SONY one was a better value choice.

i have setted it up. i am not a great audiophile but i love a good game and i love amazing explosions ( i am all about strong woofer).

I have a PS3 that is connected with the receiver .

In Dolby digital it seems the woofer is not very active but only when i shoot. is this normail?

When i play games i am not feeling the woofer,when i watch blurays i feel the difference.

is there anything wrong???
post #96 of 1137 Old 06-13-2013, 01:27 AM

Home > Settings wink.gif Try to fiddle with the stuff.
post #97 of 1137 Old 06-13-2013, 07:31 AM

This receiver is capable of some outstanding subwoofer driving. It puts out a very convincing bass mix (powerful) when the program material contains such bass.
Did you run auto-calibration using the provided microphone? If not, do that and then see if it sets your subwoofer levels to give you more bass.
As always, you can go into the Speaker settings menu and set the levels of every speaker individually to your liking (even after you've run the auto calibration).
You made the correct choice in receivers this time. This Sony model is a winner for sound quality. Don't be fooled by everyone always saying Sony is behind the other brands.
I have my choice to buy just about any high-end receiver brand myself (and I have done so in the past), but the Sony receiver amps that I own (which is many) always have not disappointed in sound quality.
Note: I said sound quality, not max power output ratings game which has no bearing on sound quality.
Of course I don't play my gear at amp clipping, ear bleed levels (like when I was a 17 year old teenager). The Sony does just fine for me.

post #98 of 1137 Old 06-13-2013, 12:55 PM

I have a Samsung UN60F8000 TV and I just couldn't make this receiver work with it.

It works fine out of the box, but when I turn it off and turn it back on after some time, I don't get any video. I can hear only audio. The menu screen does come up but it has green background instead of black. Points to software corruption. It works fine if I unplug the receiver and plug it back in after some time.

They replaced it once but I have the exact same issue with the replacement. Spent whole day on phone with Sony tech support but they couldn't fix it. The receiver is going back today.

Has anybody else seen this issue?

Thx
post #99 of 1137 Old 06-13-2013, 03:36 PM

Liked: 13
Just curious, I see you can stream from a Bluetooth device to this receiver.

My question is... can you stream from this receiver via Bluetooth? I have a pair of Bluetooth headphones and was wondering if I could pair them with this receiver? I dont see anything in the documentation about this.

post #100 of 1137 Old 06-13-2013, 03:43 PM

@sddesi: Since you said that it happened with two new receivers,
Did you check your HDMI Cables to make sure none of them are intermittently faulty. Cheap cables can break and cause loose or shaky connections which can cause you odd symptoms.
Before returning the receiver, try using new HDMI cables (not just the one going to the TV set but also it might be the one going from your cable box to the receiver or even can be both if the cables are really flimsy).
Just a thought to check those if you have not.

post #101 of 1137 Old 06-14-2013, 06:19 PM

Hi everyone. I just hooked my new receiver up.

How do I listen to music and watch television at the same time?

On my old receiver I had a balance button to check the balance between my speakers. How do I do that with the STR-DN1040?
post #102 of 1137 Old 06-14-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drife View Post

Hi everyone. I just hooked my new receiver up.

How do I listen to music and watch television at the same time?

On my old receiver I had a balance button to check the balance between my speakers. How do I do that with the STR-DN1040?

You cannot watch TV while listening to another source such as radio, network streaming or CD's. Unless you connect your cable TV set top box HDMI cable directly to the TV set to watch pictures while you tune the receiver to FM radio or other music source.
But then you lose the purpose of having the amp play the surround sound from the HDMI cable box connection.

There are no balance controls on this receiver nor many other receivers these days like there used to be in the old days of plain two channel stereo amps.
The way to adjust balance of the channels is by using the Speaker Level/Distance settings menu where you can go in and choose each speaker and then set the level to that individual speaker.
All AVR receivers are pretty much like this now-a-days. Gone is the simple balance knob control.

post #103 of 1137 Old 06-14-2013, 10:47 PM

The unit is not humming on my side.

Using bravia sync, if I change volume on my tv remote, it changes the volume on the amp and shows on the screen.
Howerver, it would be nice to have a feedback of what you do with the remote on the video. Some user might place the unit in a cabinet and won't see it.
And I would prefer to use only one remote to control both the sony tv and sony amp. So I hope that sony can adjust that in the next firmware release (to have visual display of what you do with the remote)

On airplay, you don't see the artwork of the album that is playing.

I have tested a denon 2313 and the sony 1040 has definitively more power (need to place volume at 30 on the denon compare to 15 on the sony), so the 165 watts of the sony really show.
post #104 of 1137 Old 06-15-2013, 01:48 AM

I had problem getting any sound from the HDMI cable out of a numericable tv box.
The setup was numericable -hdmi - avr -hdmi - sony tv

Changing the output of numericable audio hdmi to bypass did not produce any audio on the tv (with the amp+tv setting) nor the amp .

The problem was solved by using the bravia sync menu on the tv and selecting the audio system.

Now the sound can be processed bu the avr and bypass directly to the tv when the avr is off (There is an option for passthrough on the amp for that).

So far all is perfect from the STR-DN1040. I'm very happy with the unit.
post #105 of 1137 Old 06-15-2013, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaweb View Post

The unit is not humming on my side.

Using bravia sync, if I change volume on my tv remote, it changes the volume on the amp and shows on the screen.
Howerver, it would be nice to have a feedback of what you do with the remote on the video. Some user might place the unit in a cabinet and won't see it.
And I would prefer to use only one remote to control both the sony tv and sony amp. So I hope that sony can adjust that in the next firmware release (to have visual display of what you do with the remote)

On airplay, you don't see the artwork of the album that is playing.

I have tested a denon 2313 and the sony 1040 has definitively more power (need to place volume at 30 on the denon compare to 15 on the sony), so the 165 watts of the sony really show.

You do realize that is not an accurate representation of power output right? I'm assuming that you ran the auto setup on both models. Sony uses their proprietary setup while Denon uses Audyssey (as I'm sure you know since you tested both). Each will give a different setup regarding crossovers, channel levels, etc. The only way to truly tell is to bench test them. The Denon puts out 77.7 watts with all seven channels driven per home theater mag. Last years STR-DN 1030 (very, very similar to the 1040) was bench tested at 80 watts per channel with 7 channels driver per sound and vision. If you can tell the difference of 2.3 watts per channel, you are a better man than I. Twice the volume equals 10 time the power i.e, a 100w per channel receiver would have to be upped to 1000 watts to double the volume? 2.3 watts is insignificant.

post #106 of 1137 Old 06-16-2013, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I finally have everything set up, new SONY Tv and my 1040 with Energy Take classic.
I performed the auto set up.
Frequency is
Front 120 Hz, Center 130 Hz, Surround Back 120 Hz.
The sub is set at 110 Hz.

Im all the experts does this look good? I'm in. A room that about 12 x 12.
post #107 of 1137 Old 06-17-2013, 03:06 AM

The Denon 2313 is rated at 105watts per channel so 735 watts total and the Sony 1040 at 165 watts per channel so 1155 watts (vs 1015 watts total for Sony 1030).
There is a difference of 420 watts total between the Sony and the Denon, in favor of the Sony.

I do confirm that both unit have been auto-calibrated and for both the main R and L speakers where at +0dB.
From my tests, both volume knobs don't seems to be scaled in dB?

My previous post was merely sharing my listening experience and I do confirm that I do get much more SPL from the Sony 1040 than the Denon 2313 (which is now for sale on ebay).

In fine tweaking the amps, I found that the Audyssey was given less dB to the center speaker and I had to increase it to get an acceptable listening experience in movies.
The Sony did a better calibration of the center speaker and minimal adjustment needed to be made afterwards.

Overall, as another impression, I felt that the signal to noise ratio was better in the Sony and the clarity of the surround was better in the Sony.

Cheers,
post #108 of 1137 Old 06-17-2013, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

What HD-DCS features if any do you use? I was using theater but I switch to studio for some TV shows.
post #109 of 1137 Old 06-17-2013, 08:21 PM

Would you believe after living with this STR-DN1040 for a couple of weeks playing it almost constantly in place of my Sony STR-DA4600ES and comparing them, I actually prefer the sound and impact of the STR-DN1040 !!!
I am impressed and just have to report it to those still wondering about this new receiver.
They both sound great, but this cheap little receiver outshines the STR-DA4600 ES model I have!
The STR-DN1040 has more bass impact and overall satisfying sound presentation in both Stereo music listening and Home Theater Surround modes. Unbelievable.

Also, in an earlier posting on this thread I mentioned that I thought the STR-DA4600 ES receiver displayed its volume level status overlayed on the TV while watching movies. Well it does not. It's just like the STR-DN1040 in this respect and only overlay displays the volume status when you are inside its GUI interface.

Anyway, I am totally impressed and happy with this receiver. It does have enough power and impact. It really works out my subwoofer! The thunderous bass impact just totally shakes the whole house down even at low volume levels.
BTW, when I compared the two receivers, I used all the same speakers and input sources. I also ran the Sony auto calibration on both receivers with equal or similar settings.
They both are great sounding units. I prefer the STR-DN1040 now. I used to love the STR-DA4600ES sound and thought that I would be keeping it in the living room as my main system after temporarily setting up and testing the STR-DN1040. But now I am thinking of keeping the STR-DN 1040 there and moving out the STR-DA4600ES to the bedroom! Wow! What can I say. No hype, I prefer the STR-DN1040 over the DA4600ES.

Another plus is that the STR-DN1040 runs much cooler than the STR-DA4600ES both in the off standby mode and while it is powered on. It also takes up less depth space than the ES model.
So that's my latest word on this nice receiver.

post #110 of 1137 Old 06-17-2013, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Hi guys. A basic question on the receivers upscaling abilities. Can it upscale to 1080p if it receives either 720p or 1080i, through one if its HDMI inputs. If it can - does it look ok? My tivos upscaling it terrible.
post #111 of 1137 Old 06-18-2013, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

CNET gave the 1040 an awesome review-good read. Said its their favorite AVR in its class.
http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers/sony-str-dn1040/4505-6466_7-35734383-2.html
post #112 of 1137 Old 06-19-2013, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post

CNET gave the 1040 an awesome review-good read. Said its their favorite AVR in its class.
http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers/sony-str-dn1040/4505-6466_7-35734383-2.html

Yeah, another review confirming what I have been experiencing with this receiver. This mid-fi receiver somehow manages to sound GREAT.
I don't know what Sony has done to update their receivers amps and circuits, but they are on the right track. This receiver was even more a good bargain since I got it brand new on a rare sale!

post #113 of 1137 Old 06-19-2013, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbiased View Post

Yeah, another review confirming what I have been experiencing with this receiver. This mid-fi receiver somehow manages to sound GREAT.
I don't know what Sony has done to update their receivers amps and circuits, but they are on the right track. This receiver was even more a good bargain since I got it brand new on a rare sale!

Exactly, the buy.com price for the 1040 is the retail price for the 840– AMAZING deal!!!
post #114 of 1137 Old 06-20-2013, 02:32 AM

Hey guys,

The music is awesome though i do not know if it is better than my ONKYO 876 -amazing power).

I have only one question. The subwoofer come very strong only in limited scenes (like when there is explosions, shootings etc)?

I have Dolby digital as my preferred version.

when i watch movies i can feel the woofer. When i play games i can feel it only when there is action...

in my previous Receiver, i would play a game and i would feel all the tremlbes..
post #115 of 1137 Old 06-21-2013, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Since there isn't a DN840 thread, is the DN840 pretty much the same minus some power and the upconversion to 4k? I'm considering the DN840 for a small room, seems like it's the price/feature leader in its price range.
post #116 of 1137 Old 06-22-2013, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvrobert View Post

Since there isn't a DN840 thread, is the DN840 pretty much the same minus some power and the upconversion to 4k? I'm considering the DN840 for a small room, seems like it's the price/feature leader in its price range.

The interface is different as well. The better interface on the higher model.

post #117 of 1137 Old 06-22-2013, 09:34 PM

Liked: 12
I believe the 1040 also a few more HDMI as well as MHL input.
post #118 of 1137 Old 06-23-2013, 02:55 AM

Have just set up me new sony 1040 but find the app for iphone wont work (its usless) Not like the pioneer App.
it sounds good but also struggling to get the remote to work with my other devices,Is this somthing that can be done as the gude that come in the box is a waste of time aswell.

so far not that impressed.
post #119 of 1137 Old 06-23-2013, 06:56 AM

Its not useless at all, what app are you using? Im using the TV Sideview app from Sony to control and guide through my 1040 and that works like a charm. Full remote control and everything is in there. If you make sure you have HDMI CEC Control (Bravia sync) enabled (Settings>HDMI) you can auto control everything with your remote wink.gif
post #120 of 1137 Old 06-23-2013, 12:54 PM

Thanks for that ill give it a try.smile.gif
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Sony Str Dn1040 7 2 Channel 1050 Watt A V Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page