Sony STR-DN1040 Official Thread - Page 40 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 18Likes

Old 02-18-2015, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I'm having issue with audio/video sync. I have the DN1040 set at 0ms audio delay, however the audio is still too slow. I've also tried the AUTO setting.

This happens with any source I use (cable box, apple tv, etc...) and as may different wiring connections of hdmi inputs/outs on the DN1040 as I could try.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2015, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I would try doing a factory reset. When I first got my 1040 I had a problem with cable and lip sync. Did a reset and started all over and everything has been fine since.comcast was the only problem I had, and only random times.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
Im also really happy with my 1040. No issues at all (knock on wood). I did get the extended warranty for a $100
that lasts for 5 years.

Side note: Did you see Sony's the new 1060 receiver for this year?
http://store.sony.com/7.2-ch-hi-res-...y-ces-2015-hav

Im surprised Sony hasn't announced and Atmos support. I hope they do soon.
I also expect them to support DTS:X.
only one hdcp 2.2 input I was hoping for two I need a receiver hehe and with all the good reviews of the 1040 was going to wait for 1060.

--------------------
Samsung UN60H7150AF/Xbox One
Denon AVR-S710W
SVS Prime Bookshelves - SVS Prime Center - SVS PB-1000 - Onkyo SKH-410
Old 03-28-2015, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi just thought I would mention a security issue with this avr.

Firstly, this is interesting:

192.168.1.10:50001/cers/ActionList.xml
<actionList>
<action name="register" mode="1" url="192.168.1.10:50001/cers/register"/>
<action name="getSystemInformation" url="192.168.1.10:50001/cers/getSystemInformation"/>
<action name="getRemoteCommandList" url="192.168.1.10:50001/cers/getRemoteCommandList"/>
<action name="getStatus" url="192.168.1.10:50001/cers/getStatus"/>
<action name="getText" url="192.168.1.10:50001/cers/getText"/>
<action name="sendText" url=192.168.1.10:50001/cers/sendText"/>
</actionList>

This is more worrying:
192.168.1.10/wireless_network_config.js
192.168.1.10/1000/device_details.asp

and if you right click on this page:
192.168.1.10/1000/network_settings.asp

and view the source well... it will just spit out your wpa password <input id="oTextWpaPassphrase" type="password" name="Passphrase" value="your-password" size="30" maxlength="64" onKeyUp="onKeyUpTextWpaPassphrase()">

It is worth noting that using google with some keywords or the path to some of the pages you can log into some avr's which people have wide open to the entire internet and I would assume the code
is riddled with exploitable bugs which would effectively allow someone to infiltrate your amp. write their own scripts or gain root to the linux or whatever is running the http server and hop skip and jump to your
router and quite possibly any device attached. of course they could just stay in your amp and router and watch and control you outside the touch of any antivirus software.

Have fun
Old 04-02-2015, 05:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What are the limitations of this AMP in terms of 4K? I know this doesn't have HDMI 2.0 so how does the 4K side of things work? Thinking of upgrading my TV to 4K with this AMP.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikecast View Post
What are the limitations of this AMP in terms of 4K? I know this doesn't have HDMI 2.0 so how does the 4K side of things work? Thinking of upgrading my TV to 4K with this AMP.
The STR-DN1040 should pass 2160p24 and 2160p30 video with bit depths as high as 12 bits per primary (36 bits per pixel) with support for 4:2:2 color subsampling. It should also pass 2160p24 and 2160p30 video with a bit depth of 8 bits per primary (24 bits per pixel) with support for both full RGB and 4:4:4 color subsampling. Lastly, it will also pass 2160p60 video with a bit depth of 8 bits per primary (24 bits per pixel) with support for 4:2:0 color subsampling (which is technically a feature of HDMI 2.0 that falls within the 10.2 Gbps bandwith limitation of the chip). Basically, it supports HDMI 2.0 lite.

What it doesn't support is the full 18 Gbps bandwidth spec'd for new HDMI 2.0 chips and, perhaps more importantly, it doesn't support HDCP 2.2. This means you can only pass unencrypted 4K video. It might also be able to pass 4K content that requires the use of HDCP 1.3 encryption (the variety currently used for copy protected HD content), however, I'm not sure that any such content exists or ever will exist. Afaik, any/all copy protected 4K content that exists now and will exist in the future requires HDCP 2.2 encryption when transported via. HDMI or DisplayPort cables.

If you already own the STR-DN1040 and are considering purchasing a 4K display, I say "go for it". On the other hand, if you are shopping for an AVR now and you plan to purchase standalone 4K source devices that play back copy protected 4K content (e.g. Ultra HD Blu-Ray, 4K set top boxes from a cable/satellite company, and/or forthcoming 4K streaming devices) then I would recommend getting an AVR that supports HDCP 2.2. Sony has a couple high end models out now and the newer mainstream models (e.g. the 860 and 1060) that are due to be launched in the next couple of months all support HDCP 2.2.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 142
The 1040 will pass a 1920x1080 signal with full 12 bits (36 bits per pixel) with support for 4:4:4 color subsampling, right?
Thats what I'm expecting to get from my PS4. On my TV display it does state 12bit video.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
The 1040 will pass a 1920x1080 signal with full 12 bits (36 bits per pixel) with support for 4:4:4 color subsampling, right?
Thats what I'm expecting to get from my PS4. On my TV display it does state 12bit video.
It should be able to handle 1080p60, 12 bit, 4:4:4. It might even be able to do 1080p60, 16bit, 4:4:4. Unless I'm mistaken, 1080p60, 16 bit, 4:4:4 requires the same bandwidth (bits per second) as 2160p60, 8 bit, 4:2:0, which we know it can do. Feel free to check my math on that.
helvetica bold likes this.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:28 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hey guys, is there some kind of weird setting (like reassigning inputs) or something required to get composite video to work? I just re-set up everything in my 1050, and my two composite sources (a Nintendo Wii and a Retron 3 classic video gaming system) no longer have their image output to the screen. I can hear sound, but there's no video. (They're both stereo sources, and sound is coming out of both front speakers. Thus, I know that the audio cables are plugged in correctly)

Neither source supports any video output other than composite.

I have the Wii plugged into the three Video 1 connections. The Retron is plugged in to the three SAT/CATV connections. (My actual cable box is plugged in via HDMI. Nothing is plugged into the HDMI input labeled SAT/CATV)

In the Input Settings Menu, the Video 1 and SAT/CATV both have Component and Opt/Coax set to None.

Has anyone else run into problems with composite video sources?

Thanks.
Old 06-15-2015, 03:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Quoted: 7473 Post(s)
Liked: 5428
this thread appears dead. but i just updated my 1040 for the 1st time in quite a while, the reciever shut off after the update and is now "off" and hte green light is blinking but it wont turn on. what is it doing??j

EDIT: never mind, now it says updating, but it was blinking green for a while so i had no clue what it was doing.

65KS9800 *new*. 65JS9500 4K HDR and lots of it!
MASTER LIST OF HDR CONTENT THREAD HERE, UPDATED OFTEN
Old 06-16-2015, 05:35 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 15
It can take up to half an hour to update
Old 06-20-2015, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Anyone experiencing music drop out when connecting and playing music with the Bluetooth function? I just for the first time tried streaming music from my Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 tablet and I am getting constantly every few moments drop outs of the sound. Choppy. The tablet and receiver are right next to each other too so it can't be weak Bluetooth RF signal. I am on the latest Sony software update for this STR-DN1040 receiver too. Is anyone experiencing this buggy choppy Bluetooth connection at all? It seems almost like the Sony receiver can't keep up with the streaming and buffer overflows. I don't think there is any wireless interference causing it, but it might be. I don't know for sure.

Words of wisdom, "The more you know, the more you know that you don't know."

Last edited by unbiased; 06-20-2015 at 08:15 AM.
Old 07-05-2015, 04:05 PM

Liked: 10
Slacker 320bps

Despite having my slacker account settings set for high quality 320 kbps and the receiver is a wired lan.. it plays only 128 kbps. am i missing something?
Old 07-09-2015, 05:15 AM

I am having an issue with the 1040. All my HDMI connections have sound playing through the receiver, and no picture coming through to my TV.

The receiver is sending video signal to the TV for other connections like AM, FM, Bluetooth and Network, so I do see some things on the TV from the receiver through the HDMI cable, just not anything from any of my HDMI connections.

I am at a loss as to where to check and fix, if possible. I have moved the HDMI cables from HDMI A to B and back again. Changed HDMI cable from receiver to TV, and same results.

We had a lightning storm close by over a week ago and the DVR HDMI connection was not working (no sound or picture), but others were. So last night I started messing around with changing out the DVR using the same cables, and it looked like all was working. Turned everything off, and when I turned things back on, I started getting the above.

Very frustrating.

Any thoughts?
Old 07-09-2015, 09:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Try a Reset back to Factory defaults. Press & Hold the Power on Button on the Receiver for 5 seconds until CLEARING is displayed. Don't do anything until CLEARED is displayed It could take a few minutes for everything to reset. Then you'll be good to go.

Regards,

Jim
Old 09-20-2015, 08:50 AM

I've been having troubles with my Sony STR-DN1040 receiver that make me think that the firmware / software is corrupted. All of the connections and features seem to be working well, however when going into the menu settings for speakers and various other settings, I am seeing bands of color with crazy colors in them and various things on the screen are missing. For instance, when setting up number of speakers and orientation, some of the speakers do not show up on the picture of the room. Some of the menu setting are in oriental writing even though English is the default language. I am also now seeing the pink/green/multi colored artifacts momentarily when changing channels on my cable box. I have tried to do a Factory Reset with no improvement and have tried a Network Update but am running the latest version so it will not let me update again.

I was wondering if there was a way to flash the software / firmware via an internet browser by accessing via LAN ip address. I seem to be able to access my receiver and its network update settings but it is asking for a file to flash with. I've looked everywhere on the internet for an older firmware / software version to flash with and have not been able to find one. I've also looked for a downloadable file of the current firmware version without success.

Any suggestions on how I could attempt to repair this software problem? I'm a little angry that Sony's support for this is so lacking on their end. All they would have to do is place the firmware file download link on their support site and then list a healthy disclaimer to remove all liability on their part. I'm at a loss and do not feel like giving up on such an expensive AV addition.

Thanks for any suggestions....
Old 09-20-2015, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 142
"I am seeing bands of color with crazy colors in them and various things on the screen are missing. "
Funny Im having the same issue! Plus Im now having issues with the Bravia Sync. I find it to be really buggy.
I have all Sony products and sometimes it works and other it doesn't, WHAT GIVES???
Old 10-04-2015, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Jim- View Post
Try a Reset back to Factory defaults. Press & Hold the Power on Button on the Receiver for 5 seconds until CLEARING is displayed. Don't do anything until CLEARED is displayed It could take a few minutes for everything to reset. Then you'll be good to go.
I was having similar issues to gjramsey's a few posts above. The SAT/CATV HDMI port, the one all the way at the left if you're looking at the back of the AVR was intermittently blacking out when the TV was on. The HDMI cable was connected from that port to the Comcast X1 box.. At first, I could pull the HDMI cable from the port and reinsert it and usually get the picture back. Changing the HDMI cable didn't help. But it started to get worse and worse, more and more frequent. To see if it was the TV and not the AVR, I connected the X1 box directly to the TV. That worked perfectly. So I tried going from Video 1 on the AVR to the X1 box. That seemed to work, but I was concerned that I was losing functionality from that port. So I did the reset that -Jim- suggested. Now, the SAT/CATV port is fine again. So that was a success. Thanks, -Jim-, for that.

But though I think I've reconfigured the AVR as it was to begin with, some things seem different. The display on the AVR doesn't display the audio specs when I change channels that much, anymore. It didn't always do it to begin with. Maybe it only did it when I'd change to a channel with different broadcast specs. But now, it seems that all channels are giving me Linear PCM 2.0 on the display instead of the 3.2 it often used to. My speakers are configured to 3.1 and HD-D.C.S, as they were to begin with.

Also, the Network setting is grayed out. Has the AVR reverted to the firmware version it had when it was new? And why is it grayed out? How can I configure the network connection if I can't access its settings? If I press Home Network on the remote, nothing happens. Just the spinning icon on the TV.

I don't recall having these particular problems when I first set up the AVR.

Last edited by maigre; 10-04-2015 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10-22-2015, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 5
2 questions. Have had this receiver for 1,5 year now and very happy.

I have 2 fronts, 2 surrounds and 2 subs = 4.2 setup.

Just wondering if you guys use A.F.D Auto while watching Blu-rays with 5.1? Or HD-D.C.S, if the last one: what sound field is the correct one? I prefer the A.F.D setting the most, but I don't get as much sounds from the surrounds with this. With HD-D.C.S I get more surround effects but I don't like the "echo" like sound.

What is the right setting for the correct sound on blu-rays as the producers and sound engineers actually wanted it to be like and not just pick something I like?

Second question...

Anyone had problems with not getting signal to the subs while playing vinyl?
Have a Pro Ject RPM 5.1 and phonobox S. Checked and re-checked alle connections and settings and this is frustrating. Any tips?

Behringer B215XL (mains) + B212XL (surround) - Sony STR 1040 - Pro Ject Rpm 5.1/ Phonobox S - Jamo D500 sur (as surrounds) - 2xJamo SUB650 - Apple TV3 - , Samsung 60" Plasma

Last edited by americanFord; 10-22-2015 at 04:14 PM.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by americanFord View Post
2 questions. Have had this receiver for 1,5 year now and very happy.

I have 2 fronts, 2 surrounds and 2 subs = 4.2 setup.

Just wondering if you guys use A.F.D Auto while watching Blu-rays with 5.1? Or HD-D.C.S, if the last one: what sound field is the correct one? I prefer the A.F.D setting the most, but I don't get as much sounds from the surrounds with this. With HD-D.C.S I get more surround effects but I don't like the "echo" like sound.

What is the right setting for the correct sound on blu-rays as the producers and sound engineers actually wanted it to be like and not just pick something I like?

Second question...

Anyone had problems with not getting signal to the subs while playing vinyl?
Have a Pro Ject RPM 5.1 and phonobox S. Checked and re-checked alle connections and settings and this is frustrating. Any tips?
funny thing in the manual I thought it said the AFD setting cut off the subs.
I use BR player LPCM out and pass through AVR audio to the TV and the audio return line back to the AVR PCM input.
sound fields turned off./concert, hall, ETC. just straight audio and the AVR to decide if it is 7.1 5.1 or 2.1.
I also use a BIC america FH6-LCR as a center, you might find them on sale at $107 by christmas time. LCR is left right center.
or add anything you might have as a center speaker. computer out PCM or LPCM.
hope that helps......

my HT

Last edited by eaamon; 10-22-2015 at 07:31 PM.
Old 10-23-2015, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaamon View Post
funny thing in the manual I thought it said the AFD setting cut off the subs.
I use BR player LPCM out and pass through AVR audio to the TV and the audio return line back to the AVR PCM input.
sound fields turned off./concert, hall, ETC. just straight audio and the AVR to decide if it is 7.1 5.1 or 2.1.
I also use a BIC america FH6-LCR as a center, you might find them on sale at $107 by christmas time. LCR is left right center.
or add anything you might have as a center speaker. computer out PCM or LPCM.
hope that helps......
When you say "straight" you mean A.F.D AUTO? I think this is the correct setting for both DTS Master HD and True HD etc but I want more people here that can confirm that.

No, never. My left and right play as phantom center so that's not going to happen where I live now but thanks for the tip. The vocals from movies are dead center. I have had big centers before but the sound and the vocal has never been as seemless as now.

Behringer B215XL (mains) + B212XL (surround) - Sony STR 1040 - Pro Ject Rpm 5.1/ Phonobox S - Jamo D500 sur (as surrounds) - 2xJamo SUB650 - Apple TV3 - , Samsung 60" Plasma

Last edited by americanFord; 10-23-2015 at 06:01 AM.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

straight means "studio, theater and dynamic" under the HD-D.C.S. they add reverb and reflect effects ETC.
I would turn that off. there are also music modes; "hall, Jazz, concert, stadium, sports, P. audio, and so on"
those are added sound effects. but you may want NEO6 for two channel audio.
AFD had me fooled for a while thinking it was what I wanted.
but "multi channel linear PCM" or LPCM is what you want. it will decode anything, 2.1,5.1 and 7.1 when the input changes
it will display what is being decoded.

do note; when AFD was left on there are times you might hear a hum over your subs when 1040 is turned off.

my HT
Old 10-23-2015, 06:12 PM

Quote:
straight means "studio, theater and dynamic" under the HD-D.C.S. they add reverb and reflect effects ETC.
I would turn that off. there are also music modes; "hall, Jazz, concert, stadium, sports, P. audio, and so on"
those are added sound effects. but you may want NEO6 for two channel audio.
AFD had me fooled for a while thinking it was what I wanted.
but "multi channel linear PCM" or LPCM is what you want. it will decode anything, 2.1,5.1 and 7.1 when the input changes
it will display what is being decoded.

do note; when AFD was left on there are times you might hear a hum over your subs when 1040 is turned off.
Thank you again. So you are saying HD-D:C:S is the optimal for realistic sound for movies. Thank you. But what do you mean with turn of? I have to choose either "dynamic, theater, or studio", no "off" option.

For stereo, the "A.F.D auto" or "pure direct"must be the correct one. NEO 6 is for making a 2 channel signal for example spotify or vinyl to 7 channel. That's not right? lol

Old 10-24-2015, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
So you are saying HD-D:C:S is the optimal for realistic sound for movies.
no, use LPCM or PCM

my HT
Old 10-24-2015, 12:49 PM

Quote:
no, use LPCM or PCM
Can't find any programs that say LPCM or PCM? Meaning what program?

Sorry If I seem stupid here

Old 10-24-2015, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Can't find any programs that say LPCM or PCM? Meaning what program?

Sorry If I seem stupid here
Afaik, there is no "LPCM/PCM" sound setting on the receiver. These are formats that must be chosen on the source device (e.g. a Blu-Ray player, HTPC, or game console). You would set the source device to do the decoding (if required) and output PCM. Then, assuming you have set your receiver to "A.F.D. Auto", the PCM indicator on the receiver will light up when a PCM signal is detected. That is my best guess as to what Eaamon is suggesting.

Ps. The PCM indicator may light up when you send the receiver a PCM signal regardless of the surround setting your have chosen on the receiver but, if you use anything other than A.F.D. Auto or Direct then the audio will be manipulated in some way.

Last edited by HockeyoAJB; 10-24-2015 at 02:05 PM.
Old 10-24-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post
Afaik, there is no "LPCM/PCM" sound setting on the receiver. These are formats that must be chosen on the source device (e.g. a Blu-Ray player, HTPC, or game console). You would set the source device to do the decoding (if required) and output PCM. Then, assuming you have set your receiver to "A.F.D. Auto", the PCM indicator on the receiver will light up when a PCM signal is detected. That is my best guess as to what Eaamon is suggesting.
That's more clear. Have had my Sony blu-ray on bitstream as suggested from other tech-guys. That's correct right? It was on "PCM" from the factory if I remember correctly. I want the decoding of the HD formats in the receiver not the player.

I feel like A.F.D Auto is the correct setting with HD-formats from blu-rays. Some reviews from when this receiver came out confirms that.

Old 10-24-2015, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That's more clear. Have had my Sony blu-ray on bitstream as suggested from other tech-guys. That's correct right? It was on "PCM" from the factory if I remember correctly. I want the decoding of the HD formats in the receiver not the player.

I feel like A.F.D Auto is the correct setting with HD-formats from blu-rays. Some reviews from when this receiver came out confirms that.
I agree with the tech guys and with your desire to have the receiver do the decoding. Was just trying to interpret Eaamon's post as best I could.
americanFord likes this.

Last edited by HockeyoAJB; 10-24-2015 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-24-2015, 02:21 PM

Quote:

Ps. The PCM indicator may light up when you send the receiver a PCM signal regardless of the surround setting your have chosen on the receiver but, if you use anything other than A.F.D. Auto or Direct then the audio will be manipulated in some way.
Quote:
I agree with the tech guys and with your desire to have the receiver do the decoding. Was just trying to interpret Eaamon's post as best I could.
I understand that, thank you. What setting do you use while watching blu-rays if I may ask?

Old 10-25-2015, 01:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I understand that, thank you. What setting do you use while watching blu-rays if I may ask?
My current speaker layout is currently 5.2 (Left Front, Center, Right Front, Surround Left, Surround Right, and 2 subs), so I use the A.F.D. Auto setting for pretty much all movies and television shows, regardless of source (Blu-Ray, DVD, DirecTV, AppleTV, etc.). Occasionally, I'll use Dolby Pro Logic II for Stereo or Mono movies but, even then I sometimes just leave it on A.F.D Auto. If I had a 7.2 speaker layout, I might consider using DLP II for some native 5.1 content as well

Where I use other surround settings most frequently is with music. Sometimes, I'll use A.F.D. Auto, particularly with any surround mixes (from SACD, Pure Audio Blu-Ray, or Blu-Ray/DVD concert videos), but also occasionally with stereo music if I am sitting in the sweet spot and actively listening. Sometimes, I'll use Multi-stereo, particularly when listening to stereo music in the background while doing other things. Occasionally, I'll use one of the matrix surround modes (DTS Neo6 or DLP II:Music). And, rarely, I'll even use one of the Hall/Club/Arena sound modes. It depends on what I'm listening to and how I'm listening to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Sony Str Dn1040 7 2 Channel 1050 Watt A V Receiver