Sony STR-DN1040 Official Thread - Page 41 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 18Likes

post #1201 of 1245 Old 10-25-2015, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 24
my set up is "7.1."
PCM in, decodes every thing. be it DTS-hd-ma, dts-HD HR, DTS96/24 dolby HD and all the
other sources listed on page 23 of the manual. when the source changes it will give a read out
of what is being sent to it.
page 29; The receiver can receive Multi Channel Linear PCM (up to 8 channels) with a
sampling frequency of 192 kHz or less
with an HDMI connection.

I hope that clarifies what I mean.
no need to reset anything else.

my HT

Last edited by eaamon; 10-25-2015 at 05:37 PM. Reason: reference
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1202 of 1245 Old 10-26-2015, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaamon View Post
my set up is "7.1."
PCM in, decodes every thing. be it DTS-hd-ma, dts-HD HR, DTS96/24 dolby HD and all the
other sources listed on page 23 of the manual. when the source changes it will give a read out
of what is being sent to it.
page 29; The receiver can receive Multi Channel Linear PCM (up to 8 channels) with a
sampling frequency of 192 kHz or less
with an HDMI connection.

I hope that clarifies what I mean.
no need to reset anything else.
I know what you mean. Been in the hobby for some years and had a lot of different gear so I know the part with PCM in and what shows on the display etc.

Thank you for the effort of trying to explain what you mean but what i'm asking for is what program/sound field you use while watching blu-rays with a 5.1/7.1 audio-track?

Which of the alternative answers under? Pick one.

A: A.F.D AUTO
B: MULTi-ST
C: HD D.C.S
D: PLII MOVIE
E: NEO6 CINEMA

Behringer B215XL (mains) + B212XL (surround) - Sony STR 1040 - Pro Ject Rpm 5.1/ Phonobox S - Jamo D500 sur (as surrounds) - 2xJamo SUB650 - Apple TV3 - , Samsung 60" Plasma
post #1203 of 1245 Old 10-27-2015, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanFord View Post
I know what you mean. Been in the hobby for some years and had a lot of different gear so I know the part with PCM in and what shows on the display etc.

Thank you for the effort of trying to explain what you mean but what i'm asking for is what program/sound field you use while watching blu-rays with a 5.1/7.1 audio-track?

Which of the alternative answers under? Pick one.

A: A.F.D AUTO
B: MULTi-ST
C: HD D.C.S
D: PLII MOVIE
E: NEO6 CINEMA
the pick one answer is PCM. (none of the above)
PCM takes the signal from the BR player and sends the code to your AVR.
be it 2.0, 2.1, 5.1 and 7.1 then I let my AVR decide how to send it out to my speakers.
5.1 or 7.1 with 4 rear or 7.1 with 2 rear and high fronts.
I never use any sound fields, it might change what pure MA or lossless audio true HD is sent to
the AVR.
I think you are getting close to a understanding. pure HD or master audio through the PCM with just one setting.......
I can look at my AVR and it shows what speakers it has chosen to use.

my HT
post #1204 of 1245 Old 10-27-2015, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

you can also use your BR player to send the same PCM or LPCM to the AVR
and it will still decode 192/24 SACD too.

my HT
post #1205 of 1245 Old 10-28-2015, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked: 764
Quote:
the pick one answer is PCM. (none of the above)
PCM takes the signal from the BR player and sends the code to your AVR.
be it 2.0, 2.1, 5.1 and 7.1 then I let my AVR decide how to send it out to my speakers.
5.1 or 7.1 with 4 rear or 7.1 with 2 rear and high fronts.
I never use any sound fields, it might change what pure MA or lossless audio true HD is sent to
the AVR.
I think you are getting close to a understanding. pure HD or master audio through the PCM with just one setting.......
I can look at my AVR and it shows what speakers it has chosen to use.
You should probably check your receiver the next time you get a chance, because you clearly don't know what sound field you are using if you think it is "PCM". There is no "PCM" option nor is there an "Off" option when selecting sound fields on the receiver. The receiver always has a sound field active. Which sound fields are available depend on the input selected, your speaker setup, and the format of the audio being received. For a full list of sound fields available, see page 55 of the owner's manual.

https://docs.sony.com/release/STRDN1040.pdf
americanFord likes this.
post #1206 of 1245 Old 10-28-2015, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
you can also use your BR player to send the same PCM or LPCM to the AVR
True, but many people like seeing the DD/TrueHD/DTS/DTS-HD indicator light up on their receiver's display. Most Blu-Ray players don't have an indicator light telling you what the player is sending to the receiver and some aren't even capable of decoding these formats to a multi-channel PCM signal. For example, Sony's 2015 model year players will automatically downmix to stereo if you set them to decode HD audio formats. It is generally recommended that you bitstream the audio from the player and let the receiver do the decoding (assuming your receiver can decode the format). That is unless you intend to use an alternative form of room correction/EQ and processing such as Dirac Live or REW as the signal must be decoded before these things can be applied.

Quote:
...and it will still decode 192/24 SACD too.
I think you are conflating two different formats here. 192/24 (typically written 24/192) is shorthand for 24-bit 192khz PCM. SACD's do not use PCM at all. They use DSD, which uses 1-bit word length with a much higher sampling rate. Perhaps you were talking about having the SACD player transcode from DSD to 24/192 PCM and then sending that to the receiver over HDMI?
post #1207 of 1245 Old 10-28-2015, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

PCM is listed as a input page 23 was it for 7.1 audio, last listed.
so it must be available.
then see page 29 about LPCM
EOS

my HT

Last edited by eaamon; 10-28-2015 at 06:00 PM. Reason: link
post #1208 of 1245 Old 10-28-2015, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
PCM is listed as a input page 23 was it for 7.1 audio, last listed.
so it must be available.
then see page 29 about LPCM
EOS
Yes. The receiver supports PCM audio. But that's not the question that was being asked. The question was which sound mode you use to play back Blu-Ray movies. PCM is a format, not a sound mode. If you want to listen to audio without any upmixing, downmixing, dynamic compression, added reverb, or any other modifications then you should be using the "A.F.D. Auto" or "Pure Direct" sound modes.
post #1209 of 1245 Old 10-29-2015, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 142
I've owned the 1040 since May 2013 and have it set to HD-D.C.S. (theater) for TV and BluRays. For gaming I have it set to ADF. But I like the depth of the HD DCS for films.
post #1210 of 1245 Old 10-29-2015, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post
Yes. The receiver supports PCM audio. But that's not the question that was being asked. The question was which sound mode you use to play back Blu-Ray movies. PCM is a format, not a sound mode. If you want to listen to audio without any upmixing, downmixing, dynamic compression, added reverb, or any other modifications then you should be using the "A.F.D. Auto" or "Pure Direct" sound modes.
funny, are you. PCM decodes what ever format is thrown it. be it MA master audio, lossless HD or single channel and
I add ZERO sound fields.....ditto just PURE un-adulterated AUDIO from LPCM or PCM.
there is no mixing that is for kids no down mixing same thing no added reverb or any other MODS!
you can do that cr@p if you want to.

my HT
post #1211 of 1245 Old 10-29-2015, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
funny, are you. PCM decodes what ever format is thrown it. be it MA master audio, lossless HD or single channel and
I add ZERO sound fields.....ditto just PURE un-adulterated AUDIO from LPCM or PCM.
there is no mixing that is for kids no down mixing same thing no added reverb or any other MODS!
you can do that cr@p if you want to.
I don't know what to say to that. You don't seem to understand that the receiver is ALWAYS using a sound mode. There is no sound mode called "PCM", nor is there a way to turn all sound modes off. Again, PCM is a format. PCM doesn't decode anything. It is what you get when other formats are decoded. "A.F.D. Auto" stands for Automatic Format Direct. It is the sound mode you would want to use if you don't want the receiver to "change" the audio in any way. It simply takes whatever format you send it, decodes it to the appropriate number of channels, applies room correction, converts it to analog, and sends it to the amp stage/subwoofer outputs.
post #1212 of 1245 Old 10-30-2015, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
There is no sound mode called "PCM"
right, just pure digital audio at what ever format BR, cable box, computer, game machine - ETC sends it.

my HT
post #1213 of 1245 Old 10-30-2015, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Thank you for trying to explain HockeyoAJB. A.F.D audio is what I thought was the correct after subjective listening and from experience after other receivers during the years. PCM to receiver is something you only want if your receiver is either crappy at decoding (which few modern receivers are) or if it's an old receiver that don't accept the HD-formats.

eaamon: Every man should do what feels right but I think it's important that we get things straight here for others wondering the same thing as me beacause after reading several threads and pages here, I was clearly not the only one being confused. You are actually the one here that don't understand and know your product for optimal sound-reproduction.

Behringer B215XL (mains) + B212XL (surround) - Sony STR 1040 - Pro Ject Rpm 5.1/ Phonobox S - Jamo D500 sur (as surrounds) - 2xJamo SUB650 - Apple TV3 - , Samsung 60" Plasma

Last edited by americanFord; 10-30-2015 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Bad spelling
post #1214 of 1245 Old 10-30-2015, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi,

Just coming from Denon and Audissey, i had to "upgrade" to Sony and bought one just based on reviews (this is the first time i did so) and i am not sorry.
The only questions were exactly regarding sound fields and processing applied. There is no off mode for sound fields so please tell me if i understood correctly:
- AFD - uese for stereo, should only apply room correction and DCAC calibration? - what if i want to add some compression for late night listening?
- the new series from sony have a "Portable Audio" sound field, is this supposed to be the Sony implementation of lossy format restorer?
- HD-DCS, same as AFD for multi-channel sources (Studio being the desired mode)?
- how about "Sound Optimizer" function, what is this supposed to do? Is this the Sony version of Audissey Dynamic Eq? is this working when AFD is applied?

I know, i have a lot of questions, but the Denon was more straight forward.
post #1215 of 1245 Old 10-30-2015, 02:52 PM

Hi,

Just coming from Denon and Audissey, i had to "upgrade" to Sony and bought one just based on reviews (this is the first time i did so) and i am not sorry.
The only questions were exactly regarding sound fields and processing applied. There is no off mode for sound fields so please tell me if i understood correctly:
- AFD - uese for stereo, should only apply room correction and DCAC calibration? - what if i want to add some compression for late night listening?
- the new series from sony have a "Portable Audio" sound field, is this supposed to be the Sony implementation of lossy format restorer?
- HD-DCS, same as AFD for multi-channel sources (Studio being the desired mode)?
- how about "Sound Optimizer" function, what is this supposed to do? Is this the Sony version of Audissey Dynamic Eq? is this working when AFD is applied?

post #1216 of 1245 Old 10-30-2015, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorin Alexa View Post
Hi,

It's likely confusing because of the way Sony groups sound modes into categories a bit differently than Denon. The 3 categories are A.F.D./2 Channel sound mode, Movie mode, and Music mode. The receiver remembers the last sound field used for each of the 3 modes, so if you use one of the sound fields under A.F.D./2 channel sound mode, switch to a Movie mode, and then switch back to an A.F.D./2 channel sound mode, it will be the last A.F.D./2 channel mode you used. Same goes if you switch back to a Movie mode or Music mode. So, it essentially gives you an easy way to swap between your favorite sound field in each of the 3 modes quickly.

Let's start with the A.F.D./2 channel sound mode. Despite the name of the category, the sound fields included under this category are not strictly for 2 channel content, nor do they all result in 2 channel output. The "/" between "A.F.D." and "2 channel sound mode" should be read as an "or" (i.e. A.F.D. or 2 channel sound mode). In this category, there are 4 separate sound fields...

1) A.F.D. Auto - This is the equivalent of "Auto" on a Denon. It can be used for any format the receiver supports, any supported channel count from Mono to 7.1, and any input used (HDMI/Optical/Coaxial/Analog/Network/AirPlay/Bluetooth/USB). It is the sound field you would use if you don't want the receiver to add any surround effects to the audio. Whatever the native channel count of the content is, that is what the receiver puts out (provided you have at least that many speakers connected to the receiver). It only downmixes if you have fewer speakers connected than are originally contained within the content. Note: if you have a subwoofer connected then the receiver will use the crossover settings you input during setup to generate an LFE signal for frequencies below the crossover point. So, if you want to listen to your 2 channel content in 2.1 with a sub, this is the sound field you would want to use.

2) Multi Stereo - Outputs 2 channel left/right or monaural signals from all speakers. However, sound may not be output from certain speakers depending on the speaker setup.

3) 2 Channel Stereo - The receiver outputs the sound from the front left/right speakers only. There is no sound from the subwoofer.
Standard 2 channel stereo sources completely bypass the sound field processing and multi channel surround formats are downmixed to 2 channels.

4) 2 Channel Analog Direct - You can switch the audio of the selected input to 2 channel analog input. This function enables you to enjoy high quality analog sources. When using this function, only the volume and front speaker level can be adjusted. All digital processing is disabled. You cannot select “2ch Analog Direct” while using the BD, DVD, GAME, VIDEO 2, VIDEO 3, Bluetooth, USB, Home Network, SEN, and AirPlay function as there are no analog inputs for these sources.

Movie mode.
All sound fields in this mode alter the audio in some way, either adjusting reverb, upmixing, adjusting frequency response, or some combination thereof. There are 7 sound fields in this mode, counting the 3 different settings for HD D.C.S.

1) HD D.C.S. - Digital Cinema Sound (HD-D.C.S.) is Sony’s new innovative home theater technology using the latest acoustic and digital signal processing technologies. It is based on precise response measurement data of a mastering studio. With this mode, you are able to enjoy Blu- ray and DVD movies at home with not only the high quality of sound, but also the best sound ambience, just as the movie’s sound engineer intended in the mastering process. As mentioned above there are 3 different HD D.C.S. settings.

a) Dynamic - This setting is suitable for an
environment which is reverberant but lacks a spacious feeling (where sound absorption is not sufficient). It emphasizes the reflection of sound and reproduces the sound of a large, classical movie theater. Thus, the spacious feeling of a dubbing theater is emphasized and a unique acoustic field is created.

b) Theater - This setting is suitable for a general living room. It reproduces the reverberation of sound just like in a movie theater (dubbing theater). It is most appropriate for watching content recorded on a Blu-ray Disc when you want the atmosphere of a movie theater.

c) Studio - This setting is suitable for a living room with the appropriate sound equipment. It reproduces the reverberation of sound provided when a theatrical sound source is remixed for a Blu-ray Disc to a volume level suitable for home use. The level of reflection and reverberation of sound is kept to the minimum. However, dialogues and surround effects are reproduced vividly.

2) PLII Movie - Performs Dolby Pro Logic II Movie mode decoding. This setting is ideal for movies encoded in Dolby Surround. In addition, this mode can reproduce sound in 5.1 channel for watching videos of overdubbed or old movies.

3) PLIIx Movie - Performs Dolby Pro Logic IIx Movie mode decoding. This setting expands Dolby Pro Logic II Movie or Dolby Digital 5.1 to discrete 7.1 movie channels. This setting is only available if your speaker setup includes rear surrounds a.k.a. surround backs.

4) PLIIz Movie - Performs Dolby Pro Logic IIz mode decoding. This setting can expand a source sound from a 5.1 channel to a 7.1 channel to which a vertical equipment is applied, and gives a dimension of presence and depth. This setting is only available if your speaker setup includes front heights a.k.a front presence speakers.

5) Neo:6 Cinema - Performs DTS Neo:6 Cinema mode decoding. A source recorded in 2 channel format is decoded into 7 channels.

Music mode...
(Placeholder)

Regarding Sound Optimizer, that is a setting used to normalize volume from one source to another. For example, some sources tend to be recorded at low levels while others are recorded "louder". Ever switched from a movie that was at a comfortable listening level to a CD without turning the volume down, first? Chances are you got a rude awakening as CD's tend to be recorded louder. Sound Optimizer allows you to input a "high" or "low" setting for each source. This adjusts the gain for each source and the setting is remembered for that source so that the next time you switch to it, you won't have to adjust your volume to avoid being blasted or not being able to hear the sound. Supposedly it does not effect the dynamic range of the audio you are playing as the gain is applied evenly. I have never actually used it as I use the same input to play movies and music. Note that Sound Optimizer adjusts the gain in the digital domain, so is not available when using the 2 channel analog sound field. It (like most other processing) is disabled when playing multichannel content that has a sampling rate higher than 96khz.
MyReplay, Droozy and axtrion like this.

Last edited by HockeyoAJB; 10-31-2015 at 06:52 AM.
post #1217 of 1245 Old 10-30-2015, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Sound and Vision has a great review of the 1040. Here's a little snippet.

"Incidentally, for most demos I used the A.F.D. (Auto Format Direct) Auto mode, which presented surround soundtracks without embellishment and stereo content with two channels and sub. Sony also offers an HD-D.C.S. (Digital Cinema Sound) mode, which manipulates reverb in various ways. In the past I’ve found it benign and even enjoyable, but for this review I preferred to contemplate the quality of unenhanced amplification."

Its worth a read.
http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...MROJJ7QoD1r.97
americanFord likes this.
post #1218 of 1245 Old 10-31-2015, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbiased View Post
Anyone experiencing music drop out when connecting and playing music with the Bluetooth function? I just for the first time tried streaming music from my Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 tablet and I am getting constantly every few moments drop outs of the sound. Choppy. The tablet and receiver are right next to each other too so it can't be weak Bluetooth RF signal. I am on the latest Sony software update for this STR-DN1040 receiver too. Is anyone experiencing this buggy choppy Bluetooth connection at all? It seems almost like the Sony receiver can't keep up with the streaming and buffer overflows. I don't think there is any wireless interference causing it, but it might be. I don't know for sure.
Hey I stream all the time. I mean hours every day from my Galaxy S5 phone and my Galaxy Tab S 10.5 tablet over Bluetooth to the 1040 with no issues except going beyond 30ft or so. It always streams perfectly with both devices. I use Milk music for my streaming app. Could be the app you use or your router or maybe interference. I know this is no help to you. I just wanted to state that it does work great when it does work.
post #1219 of 1245 Old 10-31-2015, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorin Alexa View Post
Hi,

It's likely confusing because of the way Sony groups sound modes into categories a bit differently than Denon. The 3 categories are A.F.D./2 Channel sound mode, Movie mode, and Music mode. The receiver remembers the last sound field used for each of the 3 modes, so if you use one of the sound fields under A.F.D./2 channel sound mode, switch to a Movie mode, and then switch back to an A.F.D./2 channel sound mode, it will be the last A.F.D./2 channel mode you used. Same goes if you switch back to a Movie mode or Music mode. So, it essentially gives you an easy ways to swap between your favorite sound field in each of the 3 modes .........................................
I want to thank you HockeyoAJB for a fantastic post. You should be writing manuals for Sony and they should be paying you big money to do it. I know my tech and most things about this receiver but your post has clarified a few things for me. Thank you so much.
post #1220 of 1245 Old 11-01-2015, 12:10 AM

I never expected such detailed and clear answer. Thank you HockeyoAJB.
post #1221 of 1245 Old 11-03-2015, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

you do not need any format to do the room correction (DCAC)...there is no setting.
this is done by the AVR empty of any input.
the original question is 'what setting do you use for Bluray player input.
I only use LPCM or PCM.
I let the avr decode everything sent to it.
I did not want to get into any argument as to if my setting is different than yours
or any one else.
I did use the LPCM while the Disney WOW disc tested my speaker wiring.

my HT
post #1222 of 1245 Old 11-11-2015, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
you do not need any format to do the room correction (DCAC)...there is no setting.
this is done by the AVR empty of any input.
the original question is 'what setting do you use for Bluray player input.
I only use LPCM or PCM.
I let the avr decode everything sent to it.
I did not want to get into any argument as to if my setting is different than yours
or any one else.
I did use the LPCM while the Disney WOW disc tested my speaker wiring.
Just wow dude, accept you are wrong and move on.
post #1223 of 1245 Old 12-07-2015, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
@HockeyoAJB. You are worth your weight in gold my friend. I just purchased a DN1060 after spending years with Onkyo (which clearly displays the movie's sound format). I was frustrated that Sony does not do the same, but instead has these "fields". With your guide I have been able to figure out exactly what setting I need to watch my DTS-HD etc movies. Thanks.
post #1224 of 1245 Old 12-09-2015, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I copypasta'd your post Hockey and put it in the OP of the 1060 thread lol
post #1225 of 1245 Old 12-22-2015, 09:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 7474 Post(s)
Liked: 5428
got an issue with my sony AVR. my remote is not working properly. none of the buttons are working, and when i press power, the display on the AVR will say "FM TUNER" instead of turning on/off. at first i thought it had something do with accidently hitting zone 2 and it getting stuck but now im not sure. any thoughts?

edit: well that was dumb. ive had this receiver for over 2 years and never had this issue. not sure how i fixed it, but i did. almost time to upgrade to an more HDR capable receiver anyways

65KS9800 *new*. 65JS9500 4K HDR and lots of it!
MASTER LIST OF HDR CONTENT THREAD HERE, UPDATED OFTEN

Last edited by ray0414; 12-22-2015 at 09:54 PM.
post #1226 of 1245 Old 12-22-2015, 09:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
First I'd change the batteries for some fresh ones.

Regards,

Jim
post #1227 of 1245 Old 12-23-2015, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Sony DN1040 that is not working. Or I don't know what I am doing.

I have had the unit for a few years and went through setup when it was new.

Now when I push the HOME button it doesn't do anything. I also get no output out of the Monitor Out connection.

I ordered a new remote to see if that's the problem.

Any ideas?
Thanks!
post #1228 of 1245 Old 12-23-2015, 08:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
You could try to reset the Receiver. See Page 90 in your manual:

Reverting back to the factory default settings

You can clear all memorized settings and revert the receiver back to the factory default settings by performing the following procedure. This procedure can also be used to initialize the receiver before you use it for the first time.

Be sure to use the buttons on the receiver to perform this operation.

1 Press ?/1 to turn off the receiver.

2 Hold down ?/1 for 5 seconds.
The “CLEARING” appears on the display panel for a while, then changes to “CLEARED!”.
Changes or adjustments made to the settings are now reset to the defaults.

It takes about a few minutes for the memory to be cleared completely. Do not turn the receiver off until “CLEARED!” appears on the display.

Regards,

Jim
post #1229 of 1245 Old 01-09-2016, 12:09 PM
IRJ

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I am having a speech audio problem on broadcast TV shows which are in Dolby Digital format..

When viewing any sports event all the sound and audio are nice and clear and most significantly the commentators dialog is excellent.
However, when I watch broadcast channels and popular shows the speech audio comes across muffled and difficult to understand.

I am using a digital Cable feed into the latest TIVO set to Dolby digital and my Sony 1040 defaults to Pll and have a 5.1 set up of speakers/woofer.
I must have spent many tens of hours trying every conceivable change in settings, but the speech audio in these prime time shows is always ranging from poor to horrible.
Changing back and for between Dolby digital and PCM on the TIVO doesn't help.
I am at a loss to know which way to turn. I switched in another 1040 receiver, but this did not help.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Ian

Ian
post #1230 of 1245 Old 01-10-2016, 07:34 AM
IRJ

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Bump.

Ian