Sony STR-DN1040 Official Thread - Page 42 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 18Likes

Old 01-10-2016, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a Tivo Premiere connected to the '1040 via HDMI and never had any issues with audio; nor with Blu-Rays.
Could you use the HDMI input instead?

When the audio stream is encoded in Dolby; the screen on the receiver should indicate that the stream switched the codec. Do you see any changes when switching from PCM to Dolby?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRJ View Post
I am having a speech audio problem on broadcast TV shows which are in Dolby Digital format..

When viewing any sports event all the sound and audio are nice and clear and most significantly the commentators dialog is excellent.
However, when I watch broadcast channels and popular shows the speech audio comes across muffled and difficult to understand.

I am using a digital Cable feed into the latest TIVO set to Dolby digital and my Sony 1040 defaults to Pll and have a 5.1 set up of speakers/woofer.
I must have spent many tens of hours trying every conceivable change in settings, but the speech audio in these prime time shows is always ranging from poor to horrible.
Changing back and for between Dolby digital and PCM on the TIVO doesn't help.
I am at a loss to know which way to turn. I switched in another 1040 receiver, but this did not help.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Ian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2016, 10:48 AM
IRJ

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emiliosic View Post
I have a Tivo Premiere connected to the '1040 via HDMI and never had any issues with audio; nor with Blu-Rays.
Could you use the HDMI input instead?

When the audio stream is encoded in Dolby; the screen on the receiver should indicate that the stream switched the codec. Do you see any changes when switching from PCM to Dolby?

Thanks for the reply.
I use HDMI from the TIVO into my 1040.

Ian
Old 01-10-2016, 11:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Do you have any other source you can connect via HDMI with multichannel sound to the 1040? Cablebox / Blu-Ray?

Regards,

Jim
Old 01-10-2016, 01:20 PM
IRJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Jim- View Post
Do you have any other source you can connect via HDMI with multichannel sound to the 1040? Cablebox / Blu-Ray?
I have no cable box and am buying a BluRay Player next week. I will update as soon as I can there.

Ian
Old 01-10-2016, 05:34 PM
IRJ

Quote:
Ok I hooked up a spare DVD Player and played a disc on Dolby Digital and sound was OK.
Played back an episode of Elementary and Hawaii 5 O and sound on both was muffled.
Playback from TIVO Romaio Pro is set to Dolby Digital.
Hmmmm

Ian
Old 01-10-2016, 09:24 PM

Thanks for that, but to be definitive you need to connect in the same manner as your TIVO box. (HDMI) Unless of course there is an Optical or Coaxial SPDI out from the TIVO box and you can use it for a preliminary check. If that works you've narrowed it down to the HDMI side. It could then be the TIVO box, the DTR-DN1040, or the Cable. Of course swapping the HDMI Cable out is the easiest and something you can try now as well.

I hope this is helpful.

Regards,

Jim
Old 01-11-2016, 06:28 AM
IRJ

Quote:
Thanks for that, but to be definitive you need to connect in the same manner as your TIVO box. (HDMI) Unless of course there is an Optical or Coaxial SPDI out from the TIVO box and you can use it for a preliminary check. If that works you've narrowed it down to the HDMI side. It could then be the TIVO box, the DTR-DN1040, or the Cable. Of course swapping the HDMI Cable out is the easiest and something you can try now as well.

I hope this is helpful.

All my inputs to the 1040 are via HDMI.
I recorded some shows using WMC and played thru an XBox360 and the sound was better than the same show through the TIVO.
One other strange thing is that when I use a mini TiVo and play a show in my home theater the sound is better than directly using the base TIVO in my family room unit.
(Note I also use a 1040 in the home theater)
I don't know enough about the electronics of the TIVO to know why that would be.
I am beginning to think the "problem" is in the TIVO unit itself.

Ian

Last edited by IRJ; 01-11-2016 at 06:35 AM.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:01 PM

I'd be leaning towards a defective TIVO as well but first swap out it's cable for another known good one.

Regards,

Jim
Old 01-11-2016, 06:52 PM
IRJ

Quote:
I'd be leaning towards a defective TIVO as well but first swap out it's cable for another known good one.

Thanks that's a thought.
I will change the HDMI cable and see what happens.
Meantime I have an active ticket with TIVO.

Ian
Old 01-11-2016, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a XBR-65X900A that I bought a few years back. It came from the factory with one HDMI port already upgraded with the proper HDCP 2.2 on the single port.

I have the TV on a stand. Most of the other components are connected to my STR-DN1040 in a cabinet behind a door. I am able to select between all of my AV components using the remote and the TV interface, as it sends the proper signals to the STR-DN1040 over HDMI.

I bought this TV, like an idiot, thinking that the PS4 would be upgraded with software to support 4K video (for streaming movies) in the first year of release. Obviously, I was wrong. I also thought that the STR-DN1040 was future-proof "enough", with multiple 4K inputs on it. Again, I was wrong.

So that I can finally see SOMETHING in 4K on my XBR-65X900A that I bought years ago, I bought a Roku 4.

Now my question is, how do I hook it up without losing the functionality of my AV receiver? Right now the STR-DN1040 is plugged into the HDCP 2.2 port. Although I am pretty certain that the DN1040 does not support HDCP 2.2.

How can I hook up the Roku 4 to the TV, and still get audio back to the receiver, and continue using the HDMI-CEC that works so well for my setup?

I considered getting a newer Sony AV receiver, but the DN1060 supports only ONE HDCP 2.2 input, and I can't find any info on whether the DN1070 supports multiple HDCP 2.2 inputs although I am guessing it is still only a single. I don't want to buy a DN1070 and then be limited again if I get a second 4K device....
Old 01-12-2016, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Liked: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsd107 View Post
I have a XBR-65X900A that I bought a few years back. It came from the factory with one HDMI port already upgraded with the proper HDCP 2.2 on the single port.

I have the TV on a stand. Most of the other components are connected to my STR-DN1040 in a cabinet behind a door. I am able to select between all of my AV components using the remote and the TV interface, as it sends the proper signals to the STR-DN1040 over HDMI.

I bought this TV, like an idiot, thinking that the PS4 would be upgraded with software to support 4K video (for streaming movies) in the first year of release. Obviously, I was wrong. I also thought that the STR-DN1040 was future-proof "enough", with multiple 4K inputs on it. Again, I was wrong.

So that I can finally see SOMETHING in 4K on my XBR-65X900A that I bought years ago, I bought a Roku 4.

Now my question is, how do I hook it up without losing the functionality of my AV receiver? Right now the STR-DN1040 is plugged into the HDCP 2.2 port. Although I am pretty certain that the DN1040 does not support HDCP 2.2.

How can I hook up the Roku 4 to the TV, and still get audio back to the receiver, and continue using the HDMI-CEC that works so well for my setup?

I considered getting a newer Sony AV receiver, but the DN1060 supports only ONE HDCP 2.2 input, and I can't find any info on whether the DN1070 supports multiple HDCP 2.2 inputs although I am guessing it is still only a single. I don't want to buy a DN1070 and then be limited again if I get a second 4K device....
You are correct. The STR-DN1040 does not support HDCP 2.2. For now, my recommendation would be to disconnect your AVR from the HDCP 2.2 compliant input (HDMI 4, iirc) on the TV and connect it to the ARC-capable HDMI input (HDMI 1, iirc) on the TV. All of your existing sources (except the Roku 4) will continue to go thru the AVR and to the TV. Then, plug the Roku 4 into the HDCP 2.2 compliant input on your TV.

Now, here's where you have an option...

Option #1 ) Enable HDMI CEC (Bravia Sync) on your TV and AVR. This will enable the Audio Return Channel, which will allow audio from the TV and the Roku 4 to pass from the TV to the AVR over the same cable that passes the AV signal from the AVR to the TV. I'm fairly certain that the X900A supports passthru of DD 5.1 via. ARC/optical, which should cover you for 99% of the content you would use you TV's apps/tuner, and your Roku 4 to play back. Neither are capable of outputting lossless multichannel, so no loss there. The 1% of content where you would be settling for DD 5.1 in lieu of a superior option would be titles with DD+ audio from the Roku 4. The STR-DN1040 doesn't support Atmos anyway, so no loss there.

Option #2 ) Connect an optical audio cable from your TV's optical audio output to an optical audio input on your AVR. This will have pretty much the same benefits and limitations as option #1 . The main difference is the added optical cable vs. dealing with the quirks of HDMI CEC.

Eventually, you'll want to get a new AVR that supports HDMI 2.0a/HDCP 2.2 on all HDMI ports. You may even want to get one that supports Dolby Atmos and DTS-X while you are at it. Thus far, the only model from Sony that supports all of the above is the STR-ZA5000ES. If that is out of your price range then you might want to look at some other AVR brands (Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, or Onkyo/Pioneer)

Last edited by HockeyoAJB; 01-12-2016 at 05:55 AM.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:38 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post
You are correct. The STR-DN1040 does not support HDCP 2.2. For now, my recommendation would be to disconnect your AVR from the HDCP 2.2 compliant input (HDMI 4, iirc) on the TV and connect it to the ARC-capable HDMI input (HDMI 1, iirc) on the TV. All of your existing sources (except the Roku 4) will continue to go thru the AVR and to the TV. Then, plug the Roku 4 into the HDCP 2.2 compliant input on your TV.

Now, here's where you have an option...

Option #1 ) Enable HDMI CEC (Bravia Sync) on your TV and AVR. This will enable the Audio Return Channel, which will allow audio from the TV and the Roku 4 to pass from the TV to the AVR over the same cable that passes the AV signal from the AVR to the TV. I'm fairly certain that the X900A supports passthru of DD 5.1 via. ARC/optical, which should cover you for 99% of the content you would use you TV's apps/tuner, and your Roku 4 to play back. Neither are capable of outputting lossless multichannel, so no loss there. The 1% of content where you would be settling for DD 5.1 in lieu of a superior option would be titles with DD+ audio from the Roku 4. The STR-DN1040 doesn't support Atmos anyway, so no loss there.

Option #2 ) Connect an optical audio cable from your TV's optical audio output to an optical audio input on your AVR. This will have pretty much the same benefits and limitations as option #1 . The main difference is the added optical cable vs. dealing with the quirks of HDMI CEC.

Eventually, you'll want to get a new AVR that supports HDMI 2.0a/HDCP 2.2 on all HDMI ports. You may even want to get one that supports Dolby Atmos and DTS-X while you are at it. Thus far, the only model from Sony that supports all of the above is the STR-ZA5000ES. If that is out of your price range then you might want to look at some other AVR brands (Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, or Onkyo/Pioneer)
Thanks a lot for your help. I will try and go for Option 1 - that should work!

Meanwhile I did determine that the STR-DN1070 actually does support HDCP 2.2 now on ALL of it's HDMI inputs. (I found the Sony page which lists the specs, and the photo of the rear panel actually spells out that all of the inputs are HDCP 2.2 - I compared the photo to the rear of the STR-DN1060 which spells out only a single port having HDCP 2.2.) So, ultimately I may upgrade to the STR-DN1070 for future flexibility, but it is great that I don't need to upgrade right now to use the Roku 4 with my existing receiver.

Thanks!
Old 03-19-2016, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi All

Just joined the forum to comment in the vTuner fiasco. The last comment I find on this thread stated vTuner was working but as we all know it isn't. I found this out shortly after purchasing the unit so as you can imagine I was pretty disappointed. I have found a workaround however...

I have installed TuneIn Radio on my Android phone. I have then located the station I want to listen to and shared it to another installed app, BubbleUPnP. This apps sees the unit as a DNLA device and can play the radio station once shared. You can also save any stations to a playlist within BubbleUPnP and play them again later, without the need to open TuneIn Radio. A bit of setup and sharing required at first but works really well and is better than nothing.

I hope this can help a few people (or there are others out there that have a better workaround and they can let me know )
Old 04-21-2016, 10:56 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I have STR-DN1040 connected with HDMI to PC and to UHDTV Samsung HU7500 with HDMI ARC output. I have connected blueray player to the receiver too. My question is whether the receiver support RGB444 Full and what is the best option - RGB 444 Full, RGB 444 Limited, YCbCr422 or YCbCr444 to use.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Sony STR-DN1040 Official Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by traykov77 View Post
Hi, I have STR-DN1040 connected with HDMI to PC and to UHDTV Samsung HU7500 with HDMI ARC output. I have connected blueray player to the receiver too. My question is whether the receiver support RGB444 Full and what is the best option - RGB 444 Full, RGB 444 Limited, YCbCr422 or YCbCr444 to use.

The 1040 will pass 1080p RGB 444 full 12 bit. I have my PS4 and Xbox One all connected to the 1040. For PC RGB 444 full will give you the best picture. For BluRay mostly likely YCbCr422 or YCbCr444. Try both and see which looks better to you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
traykov77 likes this.

Last edited by helvetica bold; 04-21-2016 at 11:25 PM.
Old Today, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
FM stopped working. Help!

I've enjoyed my 1040 for several years without a glitch until a couple weeks ago when the FM suddenly dropped out.

I can choose the FM input and the AVR display shows this choice, but no sound comes out. Other (non-radio) sources seem to work fine, as usual.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Sony Str Dn1040 7 2 Channel 1050 Watt A V Receiver