Sony STR-DN1040 Official Thread - Page 43 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 20Likes

post #1261 of 1284 Old 08-21-2016, 05:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thank you both, helvetica bold & HockeyoAJB. And the setup you described is exactly what I have going on, HockeyoAJB. After fiddling around for an hour or more last night I gave up. I woke up this morning and it's all working. I have to assume a full power cycle on the PS4 was what 'fixed' it as that's the only thing different this morning than last night. I should've remembered to reboot the computer...

And now that I have it working, I can even turn off CEC on the Vizio, but as noted I do need to leave it on in the receiver. And thankfully my old Logitech Harmony can handle all the input switching brilliantly.

I'm just going to post this as a mental note:
1 - PS4 to HDMI5 on Vizio (game input)
2 - Vizio HDMI1 (ARC) to HDMI out A (ARC) on receiver
3 - Receiver HDMI control on, off on Vizio
4 - TV input selected on Receiver

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 1284 Old 08-27-2016, 09:44 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I already posted this question on a different thread, but it seemed good to ask this question here.

I own a Sony STR-DN1040. My front left and right speaker are full range with built in powered subwoofer. On my receiver, I set the front L+R speakers as full range and disable the subwoofer out (I don’t have a separate sub). The rest of my speakers are set to small and crossed over at 90Hz. All the bass is routed to my front left and right. This leads me to my question.

In order to use my new Earthquak MQB-1 tactile transducer, I will need to use the subwoofer line out on my receiver. If I enable the subwoofer out, will ALL low end frequency for my center and rear speakers be routed to the subwoofer line out or will the front left and right still receive LFE from the other speakers? I want to keep the LFE from my center going to my front L+R speakers. How do I keep the LFE going to my fronts L+R speakers?
post #1263 of 1284 Old 10-22-2016, 01:47 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by acmeavs View Post
I already posted this question on a different thread, but it seemed good to ask this question here.

I own a Sony STR-DN1040. My front left and right speaker are full range with built in powered subwoofer. On my receiver, I set the front L+R speakers as full range and disable the subwoofer out (I don’t have a separate sub). The rest of my speakers are set to small and crossed over at 90Hz. All the bass is routed to my front left and right. This leads me to my question.

In order to use my new Earthquak MQB-1 tactile transducer, I will need to use the subwoofer line out on my receiver. If I enable the subwoofer out, will ALL low end frequency for my center and rear speakers be routed to the subwoofer line out or will the front left and right still receive LFE from the other speakers? I want to keep the LFE from my center going to my front L+R speakers. How do I keep the LFE going to my fronts L+R speakers?
Okay, I was able to connect my front speakers and still send them a full signal. I posted how I did this in the following post:

Tactile Transducer Setup Post

I know sony has released three updates to this model, but I still hope they send out firmware updates to keep this one up to date. Plus, after looking into the reviews of the "newer" modals, it seems the DN-1040 still provides a cleaner signal at higher levels. Look at the reviews from Sound & Vision and check the test bench.

post #1264 of 1284 Old 12-14-2016, 12:25 PM
IRJ

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have decided to connect a Bluetooth transmitter to my 1040 AVR.
Which audio output is best to use for this?
Any thoughts ideas would be appreciated.

I have never been able to solve/improve speech audio of broadcast TB shows so trying a BT headphone connection is an experiment I want to try.
Thanks.

Ian
post #1265 of 1284 Old 12-14-2016, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRJ View Post
I have decided to connect a Bluetooth transmitter to my 1040 AVR.
Which audio output is best to use for this?
Any thoughts ideas would be appreciated.

I have never been able to solve/improve speech audio of broadcast TB shows so trying a BT headphone connection is an experiment I want to try.
Thanks.
Unless your Bluetooth transmitter has an HDMI input on it then your only options are to use the stereo analog preamp outputs or the headphone jack on the receiver. The stereo analog preamp outputs only work for a limited number of sources: AM/FM tuner and any device connected to the receiver's analog audio inputs, whereas the headphone jack will pass audio from any source. The only downside of using the headphone jack is that no sound will come from the speakers connected to your AVR when something is plugged into the headphone jack. In most cases, that doesn't matter, but if your using headphones due to a hearing impairment and want others to be able to listen alongside you (via. the speakers), you'll have to come up with a workaround.
post #1266 of 1284 Old 01-19-2017, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can I play 4K video through STR-DN1040 receiver?

Hi All,

Question:

Does anyone know what HDCP version the SONY STR-DN1040 support?

I purchased the receiver in Nov. 2013. It lists 4K pass-through as one of its features. Can I play 4K content through this receiver?

I am using 2.0a HDMI cable(s) for connections.

My Samsung 4K HDR player is connected to ST-DN1040 and the OUT (ARC) from the receiver connects to Samsung 4K HDR TV. The output shows as at most at 1080P only.

I called Sony Support multiple times with no help from them to find the supported HDCP version by this receiver.

Thanks.
jiism
post #1267 of 1284 Old 01-21-2017, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It only supports up to HDCP 1.3/1.4. The receiver can pass a 4K signal so long as the content does not utilize HDCP 2.2 encryption. Unfortunately, most 4K movie and television content requires HDCP 2.2.
post #1268 of 1284 Old 01-24-2017, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post
It only supports up to HDCP 1.3/1.4. The receiver can pass a 4K signal so long as the content does not utilize HDCP 2.2 encryption. Unfortunately, most 4K movie and television content requires HDCP 2.2.
Thanks for the info.

Where did you find this HDCP version support information? I could not find it anywhere in manual.

btw, HDCP version 2.0 came out in 2008 (Check Wikipedia), so I am suspicious if this 2013 receiver supports only HDCP 1/3/1.4 (?).

Update on some more testing: When I ran Amazon app from Samsung 4k Player (connected to the DN1040 receiver) and ran 4K HDR show (The Grand Tour), it played in on Samsung 8 series 4K TV just fine. However, the resolution was only 1080p, not 4K HDR. YouTube app tests from Samsung 4k player were inconclusive. The user-uploaded free 4K videos - most were played at 1080p res and others seem to indicate 4k resolution, however, picture color was impacted. Upscale issue? Note sure what was going on.

Speculation: So, it might actually be supporting some form of HDCP 2.x. With my understanding of how HDCP 2.2 works, if ALL devices/cables are not HDCP 2.2 compliant in the chain, the picture will NOT show at all.

As I am able to see the picture through my A/V configuration, this is encouraging news about the receiver.

Additionally, I am surprised that no one here has discussed this issue so far. Perhaps, people with this receiver here are not into 4K yet (?).
post #1269 of 1284 Old 01-26-2017, 01:17 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Sony STR-DN1040 Official Thread

You can get round this by buying a specific HDMI splitter which strips out HDCP 2.2 and allows the signal to go via the Sony into the TV. I bought one and now get 4K resolution whereas previously I had to plug my Sky Q sat receiver directly into the TV and use an optical lead for audio. It also cleared up sound dropouts that I was suffering. But you need to ensure that the HDMI splitter actually specifies HDCP 2.2 compatibility. I bought mine from Amazon UK. I use the Game input on the Sony as the other 4K inputs are already in use.

Last edited by Bees1; 01-26-2017 at 06:08 AM.
post #1270 of 1284 Old 01-30-2017, 03:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiism View Post
Thanks for the info.

Where did you find this HDCP version support information? I could not find it anywhere in manual.

btw, HDCP version 2.0 came out in 2008 (Check Wikipedia), so I am suspicious if this 2013 receiver supports only HDCP 1/3/1.4 (?).
AFAIK, HDCP 2.0 was never implemented in any consumer electronic devices. It was a version that was developed and apparently reached a stage of completion that warranted giving it its own version number, but never actually saw the light of day. It seems that some flaw in the protection was revealed early on and, because studios weren't ready to release 4K/UHD content at the time, there was no reason to release product that implemented it.

Work continued and eventually HDCP 2.2 was developed and released. In the end, it's pretty much been all for naught as there are loopholes in the protection that were known even before the first HDCP 2.2 displays and AVR's were released. However, unlike before, studios were ready to release premium 4K/UHD content. So, because it was the best protection they had (that was ready for release), and delaying the rollout of premium 4K/UHD content (for who knows how long) was not an option, HDCP 2.2 was given the green light.
post #1271 of 1284 Old 01-30-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post
AFAIK, HDCP 2.0 was never implemented in any consumer electronic devices. It was a version that was developed and apparently reached a stage of completion that warranted giving it its own version number, but never actually saw the light of day. It seems that some flaw in the protection was revealed early on and, because studios weren't ready to release 4K/UHD content at the time, there was no reason to release product that implemented it.

Work continued and eventually HDCP 2.2 was developed and released. In the end, it's pretty much been all for naught as there are loopholes in the protection that were known even before the first HDCP 2.2 displays and AVR's were released. However, unlike before, studios were ready to release premium 4K/UHD content. So, because it was the best protection they had (that was ready for release), and delaying the rollout of premium 4K/UHD content (for who knows how long) was not an option, HDCP 2.2 was given the green light.
Yeah, what you mention is already listed in Wikipedia I asked you earlier to lookup. However, it does not answer my question I asked about where you picked up the information about the supported version of HDCP in STR-DN1040. AFAIK, the loopholes you refer to were sealed and no known loopholes exist so far (e.g. HDCP 2.2 is uncracked so far based on readings on the internet).
post #1272 of 1284 Old 01-30-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bees1 View Post
You can get round this by buying a specific HDMI splitter which strips out HDCP 2.2 and allows the signal to go via the Sony into the TV. I bought one and now get 4K resolution whereas previously I had to plug my Sky Q sat receiver directly into the TV and use an optical lead for audio. It also cleared up sound dropouts that I was suffering. But you need to ensure that the HDMI splitter actually specifies HDCP 2.2 compatibility. I bought mine from Amazon UK. I use the Game input on the Sony as the other 4K inputs are already in use.
That's interesting. That might solve the problem as receiver claims to passthrough 4k content. I looked up Amazon UK, however, there are too many listed. If possible, could you share the name/link of the hdmi splitter refereeing to in your message? Thanks.
post #1273 of 1284 Old 01-30-2017, 04:07 PM

Sony STR-DN1040 Official Thread

Deleted
post #1274 of 1284 Old 01-30-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
That's interesting. That might solve the problem as receiver claims to passthrough 4k content. I looked up Amazon UK, however, there are too many listed. If possible, could you share the name/link of the hdmi splitter refereeing to in your message? Thanks.

Look up this on Amazon WINGONEER 1x4 HDMI Splitter Supporting UHD 4K HDMI 2.0 HDCP 2.2 3D 1080P DVI1.0 Full HD 1 In 4 Out
post #1275 of 1284 Old 01-31-2017, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, what you mention is already listed in Wikipedia I asked you earlier to lookup. However, it does not answer my question I asked about where you picked up the information about the supported version of HDCP in STR-DN1040. AFAIK, the loopholes you refer to were sealed and no known loopholes exist so far (e.g. HDCP 2.2 is uncracked so far based on readings on the internet).
HDCP versions weren't specifically listed until HDCP 2.2 came along. Before HDCP 2.2, your device was either HDCP compliant (which implies HDCP 1.X) or it wasn't.

HDCP 2.2 has not been "cracked" per say (i.e. the encryption has not been reverse engineered and the master key is still secure). However, there is a known loophole. They specifically designed the HDCP 2.2 spec to allow an HDCP 2.2 compliant device to decrypt the incoming AV signal and then output it using HDCP 1.X encryption. The reasons for this are not spelled out in any document that I have seen, but one could make some assumptions (potentially for backwards compatibility with legacy audio systems). Whatever the reason, there are/were numerous CE manufacturers that have either intentionally or unintentionally used this "feature" to allow HDCP 2.2 encrypted content to be "converted" to HDCP 1.X encrypted (or unencrypted) content without any loss of quality. HDFury's website used to have some info on how this worked.

Also, it's not a given that having a noncompliant device in an otherwise HDCP 2.2-compliant chain will result in no picture at all. In some cases, it is acceptable/possible for the source device to output a lower resolution video signal when a non-compliant device is detected. In some cases it can even be misleading to use the display's info button as an indicator of what the native resolution of the content being viewed is, as the source device might play back the 1080p version and then upscale it to 4K internally.
post #1276 of 1284 Old 04-06-2017, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Zone 2 and OSD for Volume on STR-DN1040

I just bought a used STR-DN1040 to replace my old Pioneer and I have two (probably) basic questions...

1) How can I get a overlay/popup display on HDMI when changing Volume or "sound type" (e.g. surround, DTS etc.)?
On my Pioneer there was a small popup showing when I changed volume, etc. but I haven't seen any such popup on the Sony...

2) I don't get the Zone 2 settings... I have 5:1 in the living room and a 2:0 in the kitchen/dining rom. I'd like the kitchen/dining room to be Zone 2 and I hooked up the speakers to the "variable" output (Front B/High Front/Rear surround back) but I can't figure out how to get the output to Zone 2. Either it plays in the 5:1 zone or it is quiet. Running the test though I get the "buzz" test in the Zone 2 speakers as well...
post #1277 of 1284 Old 04-06-2017, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders Wasen View Post
I just bought a used STR-DN1040 to replace my old Pioneer and I have two (probably) basic questions...

1) How can I get a overlay/popup display on HDMI when changing Volume or "sound type" (e.g. surround, DTS etc.)?
On my Pioneer there was a small popup showing when I changed volume, etc. but I haven't seen any such popup on the Sony...

2) I don't get the Zone 2 settings... I have 5:1 in the living room and a 2:0 in the kitchen/dining rom. I'd like the kitchen/dining room to be Zone 2 and I hooked up the speakers to the "variable" output (Front B/High Front/Rear surround back) but I can't figure out how to get the output to Zone 2. Either it plays in the 5:1 zone or it is quiet. Running the test though I get the "buzz" test in the Zone 2 speakers as well...
The 1040 Does NOT Display a Volume + or - or Mute on the TV.

The 1040 -Zone 2 Only Outputs Analog audio Source - You have to assign a Source for Zone 2 and it must be Analog only-That may be the reason it's quiet
post #1278 of 1284 Old 04-06-2017, 11:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by westdc View Post
The 1040 Does NOT Display a Volume + or - or Mute on the TV.

The 1040 -Zone 2 Only Outputs Analog audio Source - You have to assign a Source for Zone 2 and it must be Analog only-That may be the reason it's quiet
Thanks!
That sucks to not see the current volume on screen... Switching between different inputs sometimes gives a very high output...

As for "You have to assign a Source for Zone 2" where/how do I do that?
I can't seem to find any setting/input for it...
post #1279 of 1284 Old 04-07-2017, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders Wasen View Post
Thanks!
That sucks to not see the current volume on screen... Switching between different inputs sometimes gives a very high output...

As for "You have to assign a Source for Zone 2" where/how do I do that?
I can't seem to find any setting/input for it...

It's in the Owners Manual link

http://www.mediafire.com/file/6gzdi6.../STRDN1040.pdf

http://www.mediafire.com/?0tnhi0rkuy...57ai326asyz4k7
post #1280 of 1284 Old 04-20-2017, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I have owned the 1040 for a couple of years now, but I only recently got a 4K HDR TV. I found out several months ago that my supposed "future proof" AVR was not HDCP 2.2 compliant, so I purchased the Sony UBP-X800 4K player, with the assumption that I would use the second HDMI for my audio and run the HDMI 1 directly into my Vizio E60-E3.

When I start a disc (or a streaming service) , the 1040 kills the audio after a couple of seconds - apparently a handshake issue of some kind. Disabled CEC control in everything in the path, to no avail. Bitstream or PCM made no difference, either. The one workaround I found was to switch the 1040's HDMI out to HDMI B - which I am not using. It works that way, it's just annoying to have to do that every time you change sources.

If anyone has found a different solution, I'm all ears.

Last edited by BigDad; 04-20-2017 at 01:10 PM.
post #1281 of 1284 Old 05-15-2017, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDad View Post
I have owned the 1040 for a couple of years now, but I only recently got a 4K HDR TV. I found out several months ago that my supposed "future proof" AVR was not HDCP 2.2 compliant, so I purchased the Sony UBP-X800 4K player, with the assumption that I would use the second HDMI for my audio and run the HDMI 1 directly into my Vizio E60-E3.

When I start a disc (or a streaming service) , the 1040 kills the audio after a couple of seconds - apparently a handshake issue of some kind. Disabled CEC control in everything in the path, to no avail. Bitstream or PCM made no difference, either. The one workaround I found was to switch the 1040's HDMI out to HDMI B - which I am not using. It works that way, it's just annoying to have to do that every time you change sources.

If anyone has found a different solution, I'm all ears.
I would suggest upgrading your 1040 - to a 1070- (watch for Memorial Day sale) and you can pick one for $400 -It's 2.2 compliant and very little difference in the "NEW" 1080 for 600
post #1282 of 1284 Old 05-16-2017, 05:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
No Atmos, no DTS:X - if I have buy another AVR, I'm going to upgrade to something with the newer tech. Several options in that price range.
post #1283 of 1284 Old 05-19-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDad View Post
No Atmos, no DTS:X - if I have buy another AVR, I'm going to upgrade to something with the newer tech. Several options in that price range.

I bought an HDMI splitter which strips out the HDCP 2.2. Now I can run my 4K signal from my satellite receiver, through the Sony 1040 and into my LG 4K TV. Previously, the TV would not play the signal through that input as it was not HDCP 2.2 compliant. Not all HDMI splitters strip out HDCP 2.2, so you need to investigate. I bought mine from Amazon UK.
westdc likes this.
post #1284 of 1284 Old 07-21-2017, 02:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,
I was wondering if any has an idea why my STRD-N 1040(now upgraded with what appears to be 1050 firmware) goes offline in terms of network connectivity when left on standby. By going offline i mean it is no longer visible to Apple airplay or Spotify connect, only to bluetooth devices. I am certain that it was not the case several months back. I would walk in and as soon as my phone connects to the WiFi the spotify connect icon will pop up in the "Available devices" in the spotify app and you can play music and wake the amplifier up through phone/imac. Now i have to either manually switch the Amp on and wait for its network card to come online or wake it up via bluetooth and then push the music through spotify connect. It is the same story with apple airplay. I see no option to make sure that the network card stays online.

Any ideas ?

Many thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Sony Str Dn1040 7 2 Channel 1050 Watt A V Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page