Sony STR-DN1040 Official Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1075 Old 07-19-2013, 07:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Make sure you have audio setup on PS3 to go to the HDMI, I had a similar issue and forgot that I was using the OPtT out before I instsalled my new 1020.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1075 Old 07-19-2013, 12:18 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfulford View Post

Make sure you have audio setup on PS3 to go to the HDMI, I had a similar issue and forgot that I was using the OPtT out before I instsalled my new 1020.

I do have it set to hdmi out. That is why it's weird. The cable box and hd dvd pass through the sound no problem. I am missing something but can't figure out what it is.
post #183 of 1075 Old 07-19-2013, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just a few questions for you guys.

1. Is there an app for this avr on iphone, I still am not quite sure what it is or what its called.

2. An audioholics review said it will only upscale 1080/24 up to 4k, is that normal? This maybe irrelevant but for future proof reasons I am curious, Cant other avr's upscale 1080i,. and other formats up to 4k?

3. Does this avr have an option at all to watch one input while listening to another? I notice the denon x2000 lists this feature

" A "Video Select" function, accessed via the OPTION button on the remote, allows you to listen to a USB/Tuner/Network audio source while watching a separate video source (including HDMI inputs!)"

So I am curious if this avr has any option like that.
post #184 of 1075 Old 07-19-2013, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
There are two separate apps that work with the 1040 (I have an 840 and they work with it as well).

one is called TV Sideview, the other MediaRemote (both in the app store and both free).

You kinda need both because each does separate things with the receiver, and neither does everything the remote that comes with the AVR will.

I know the MediaRemote can operate the SEN functions of the receiver, so its kind of a universal remote for using Pandora, Slacker radio, etc. I just use my iPhone since I stream music to it via AirPlay (I like how I can turn the receiver on via BlueTooth on my iPhone then play music via Airplay without ever having to touch the receiver).

TV SideView pretty much taps into whichever CATV provider you have and acts as sort of an app just like Xfinity or FiOS (I have the later). Its good so I dont have to pick up another remote to see what is on at a particular time. It also operates certain AVR functions like volume, power, and few other features but by no means gets into the weeds (the most it can engage is Pure Direct). They could do better and I hope with enough interest in these receivers Sony expands on it.

Not sure on the other questions since I only have the 840, but I know its supposed to pass 4K (it has 4x HMDI for it) but its not supposed to upscale (which is something the 1040 can do).

I am very impressed with the 840. While it lacks a few HDMI (it has 6 vs 8) and doesnt have the elaborate GUI, it really holds its own.

"To sin by silence when we should protest makes cowards out of men."

Operation Iraqi Freedom Campaign Veteran, 06-08.

Operation Iraqi Freedom Campaign Veteran, 09-10.

Operation Enduring Freedom Campaign Veteran, 12-13.

post #185 of 1075 Old 07-19-2013, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
There are a few questions I have, and I'm sure there is plenty of debate and back/forth on it.

During auto calibration, it configured by speakers to large and set the distance for my surrounds more than twice what they really are. The room I'm working with is maybe 14x14, hardwood floor so not sure why it did that. I'm using small Klipsch speakers that are mounted to the walls (front and center) with surrounds on the ceiling.

I'm probably behind the curve a bit but what I'm wondering is how some of the crossover and bass settings work, or what they mean.

On the back on my SW are dials for the volume, Lowpass (Hz) which goes from 80-160, and phase which has options for 0 or 180.

What's the consensus on how these options work with regards to setting the crossover of the speakers? Auto calibration set mine to 120 Hz. I have the SW options as volume a little under halfway, the phase set at 0, and the Lowpass as 100. Also when I set the subs dB level (just as I can set each speakers individually, from -10dB to +10dB, I keep the SW at 0.

Am I wrong somewhere, or should I be working with something different?

I mainly run BD movies and my DVR. So far haven't noticed many issues but wanted to know what some of the thoughts are out there, or of there is a place I could start with some suggestions. I thought I would ask here given this is the receiver I'm using.

Thanks!

"To sin by silence when we should protest makes cowards out of men."

Operation Iraqi Freedom Campaign Veteran, 06-08.

Operation Iraqi Freedom Campaign Veteran, 09-10.

Operation Enduring Freedom Campaign Veteran, 12-13.

post #186 of 1075 Old 07-20-2013, 01:44 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo View Post

3. Does this avr have an option at all to watch one input while listening to another? I notice the denon x2000 lists this feature

" A "Video Select" function, accessed via the OPTION button on the remote, allows you to listen to a USB/Tuner/Network audio source while watching a separate video source (including HDMI inputs!)"

So I am curious if this avr has any option like that.

No I don't believe that is available on the Sony. You need to look at this years Denons as you say or Yamaha for that sort of thing built in. A cheap way of achieving the same result is to use a $25 HDMI splitter. That way you can choose network on the receiver and send the video from your cable/satellite box directly to say HDMI two on your TV. I do exactly that in my bedroom so I can listen to football commentary from the Internet radio and use video from my TIvo. When I want to use the TiVo normally I just select it on my receiver and play through the normal HDMI one. Two extra cables involved but so what.

Anthem MRX 710 : Monitor Audio Apex 5-A40 : Paradigm Seismic 110 : Panasonic TX-P65VT65B : Oppo 103D
post #187 of 1075 Old 07-20-2013, 01:48 AM

Other than that you can always mess around with digital and analogue assignments. But that is not the same feature as you are describing on the Denon.

Anthem MRX 710 : Monitor Audio Apex 5-A40 : Paradigm Seismic 110 : Panasonic TX-P65VT65B : Oppo 103D
post #188 of 1075 Old 07-20-2013, 11:39 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Anyone else have trouble getting wifi to work with this receiver? I have gotten every other device I have(tv, bluray player, phone, etc) to link to my wifi just fine. However for some reason when I enter the wifi access code on this receiver, it tries to connect for what seems like a full minute and then spits out an error message saying it failed to connect to the network. I know the password is right, and the signal is strong enough(and it picks up my wifi just fine when scanning for access points), but it will not connect. Is this a bug or is there some kind of setting I need to look for?
post #189 of 1075 Old 07-21-2013, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 50
this might sound silly but make sure your password case setting is correct. I didn't realize I was typing in all caps.
To this day I still can't get airplay to work on the 1040. frown.gif
post #190 of 1075 Old 07-21-2013, 02:56 PM

Liked: 11
is anybody have it connected to Samsung f8500? I have and after updated it is not working properly any more frown.gif I have a green tint on image and it does not pass images from other sources, just black screen. I tried to connect it to other tv and it works fine, no issues. Only with f8500 after update. Has anybody experienced it ?

Samsung PS64F8500, Anthem MRX 500, Dali Zensor 7.1, Apple TV 3, Sony BDPS790 Blu Ray, PS4, iDisplay Pro3, Calman 5
post #191 of 1075 Old 07-21-2013, 03:13 PM

kkjk

Samsung PS64F8500, Anthem MRX 500, Dali Zensor 7.1, Apple TV 3, Sony BDPS790 Blu Ray, PS4, iDisplay Pro3, Calman 5
post #192 of 1075 Old 07-21-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sddesi View Post

I have a Samsung UN60F8000 TV and I just couldn't make this receiver work with it.

It works fine out of the box, but when I turn it off and turn it back on after some time, I don't get any video. I can hear only audio. The menu screen does come up but it has green background instead of black. Points to software corruption. It works fine if I unplug the receiver and plug it back in after some time.

They replaced it once but I have the exact same issue with the replacement. Spent whole day on phone with Sony tech support but they couldn't fix it. The receiver is going back today.

Has anybody else seen this issue?

Thx

I do have the same!! With my f8500. Now I can't manage to have a normal image. Switching off, unplug, nothing works. Green tint, no image from other sources. Just nightmare. If they don't resolve it I will return it and change it to Yamaha.
I am just wondering if that happen after update or is just natural for that model.

post #193 of 1075 Old 07-23-2013, 03:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Just a couple other questions having a tough time finding alot of info on this avr.

1. Does this thing do any upscaling or have settings to enable disable upscaling, I dont see anything in the manual regarding this.

2. Does it have a game mode or has anyone checked game lag?

3. If i set it to output video to hdmi out 1+2 i just want to make sure it does not default back to 1 only or anything whenever you turn it off, or for whatever other reason, i dont really want to have manually select both all the time.

Thank you in advance.
post #194 of 1075 Old 07-23-2013, 03:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutton8 View Post

No I don't believe that is available on the Sony. You need to look at this years Denons as you say or Yamaha for that sort of thing built in. A cheap way of achieving the same result is to use a $25 HDMI splitter. That way you can choose network on the receiver and send the video from your cable/satellite box directly to say HDMI two on your TV. I do exactly that in my bedroom so I can listen to football commentary from the Internet radio and use video from my TIvo. When I want to use the TiVo normally I just select it on my receiver and play through the normal HDMI one. Two extra cables involved but so what.

I was actually thinking of this solution and have done it with previous avr's, however I do intend to enable hdmi control for arc, do you have this enabled and if so do you have any issues with it switching input on your tv back to the avr input? Someone on another forum claimed with last years model his tv input always switched to the avr connection because of hdmi control, i also need arc, so I would assume if this is the case i would just have to let it switch to the tv input connected to the avr, then switch it after to the tv input connected with the hdmi splitter?

Maybe you can confirm or tested if you have an hdmi control enabled display as well? I just hope hdmi control wouldn't introduce problems with this setup.
post #195 of 1075 Old 07-23-2013, 10:04 AM

I picked up the DN840 yesterday and set it up. I was very impressed with the sound setup process. I haven't watched a movie yet, but AirPlay through Spotify sounds incredible. I am making the move from an Onkyo 609.

There are a few things I am mildy annoyed with and am hoping someone has a solution.

1. There is no screensaver, that I can tell, from the airplay OSD. There is just bold white words which I am afraid may cause burn-in on my Panasonic VT25 plasma. I could simply shut the tv off, but if my wife uses it, we may have the words burnt in before I know it.

2. I can turn the receiver on automatically through my iphone and airplay. But when I'm done, it doesn't automatically shut off. I have to physically go over, open the cabinet, and shut it off manually. I wish there was at least an auto-shutoff after so many minutes of inactivity.

3. I did not realize the DN840 does not upscale to 4K. Hopefully the new PS4 will do that so I don't have to pay extra for the 1040.

4. I thought I would be able to control my PS3 through the receivers bluetooth functionality. Apparently, all I can do is stream songs through the Bluetooth??

Any thoughts on these 4 issues would be greatly appreciated!
post #196 of 1075 Old 07-23-2013, 10:52 AM

Liked: 15
4K worries shouldn't be worries at all. 4K Tv's aren't even close to becoming something you normally see on display at any showroom IMO, let alone affordable compared to today's budget bang for your buck tvs. In the end, I wouldn't worry about that 4k deal.

2nd off, this is the 1040 thread, not the 840.

3rd... In the audioholics review of the 1040, it is stated that there are actually 2 apps to use with the receiver. Maybe download the other one? "TV side view" and "AudioRemote"

For other people viewing this here are some other gathered reviews of the 1040

http://www.whathifi.com/review/sony-str-dn1040

and avproducts also gave it a solid review here

http://avproductreviews.com/reviews/sony-strdn-1040-review/

Also audioholics review is up here:
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/receivers/sony-str-dn1040-receiver-review
post #197 of 1075 Old 07-23-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:

Maybe you can confirm or tested if you have an hdmi control enabled display as well? I just hope hdmi control wouldn't introduce problems with this setup.

My TV and receiver are ARC compatible but to be honest I never use it. I just use the splitter and it is a one click solution to achieve what we want using my Harmony remote.

post #198 of 1075 Old 07-23-2013, 11:23 AM

Thanks Mark. Good point about 4k right now. I posted my issues about the 840 because it's essentially the same receiver as the 1040 but for 15 less watts per channel and 2 less hdmi inputs. 1040 has the nicer GUI and 4 k upscaling.... But the 4 issues I posted would pertain to both the 840 and the 1040.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
sk1593 likes this.
post #199 of 1075 Old 07-23-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai9 View Post

Thanks Mark. Good point about 4k right now. I posted my issues about the 840 because it's essentially the same receiver as the 1040 but for 15 less watts per channel and 2 less hdmi inputs. 1040 has the nicer GUI and 4 k upscaling.... But the 4 issues I posted would pertain to both the 840 and the 1040.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

The big thing that I like over the 840 is MHL.
post #200 of 1075 Old 07-23-2013, 12:46 PM

What's so great about MHL? What am I missing? I'm seeing it a lot lately and from looks of it its just the ability to connect a device like a smartphone to the receiver and get 5.1 surround from the video your playing? Link me to something, right now it seems anything I could do with MHL I'd most definitely do first with a laptop
post #201 of 1075 Old 07-23-2013, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

As far as I know in my research and how I ended up here, whathifi anyway claimed this was the best avr in this price range. And audioholics was very impressed with the sound as well which is saying something.

Does anyone know of answers to my post in 193?

I went through the manual and i have never came across a modern day avr that does not have resolution selection in the settings, thats why I am wondering if this thing even upscales? Or if you can enable it or disable it? Like yamaha for instance you can turn off processing, or select a resolution, my denon also has resolution selection.
post #202 of 1075 Old 07-23-2013, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The 1040 only upscales 4K via HDMI, that's it. Pretty much everything else just passes through.
There is a pass through on/off option.
From what I understand, some AVRs (older Denon?) won't pass RGB full signals (0-255). The 1040 will
and supports pretty much every video signal. Besides having excellent audio it even supports Sony's
new extra wide color gamut displays.
post #203 of 1075 Old 07-24-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkAELSU View Post

What's so great about MHL? What am I missing? I'm seeing it a lot lately and from looks of it its just the ability to connect a device like a smartphone to the receiver and get 5.1 surround from the video your playing? Link me to something, right now it seems anything I could do with MHL I'd most definitely do first with a laptop

What I like about MHL is the lag-free mirroring of my phone. All I needed was an $8 cable from eBay that supports MHL 2.0 and now I see my entire phone interface on the TV. What does that mean?

- I can play games and it shows up like a console game--it's amazing how far today's smartphones have come with respect to approaching console quality.
- My 2 year old can Skype with her grandparents and see the faces on the TV screen.
- I can quickly share a Youtube video or picture I have on my phone right on the TV.

I know it sounds like a wired version of AppleTV, and it pretty much is. Sound and video gets transferred over this cable.
MarkAELSU likes this.
post #204 of 1075 Old 07-24-2013, 12:23 PM

Care to link me to said eBay cable? Guessing iphone 5 can't do it?
post #205 of 1075 Old 07-24-2013, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 32

How would this receiver compare to the Pioneer VSX line, the 11XX series of the last few years which is their top consumer line?

post #206 of 1075 Old 07-24-2013, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post

How would this receiver compare to the Pioneer VSX line, the 11XX series of the last few years which is their top consumer line?

Since I asked alot of questions and appreciate all the responses here, mine as well respond where i can.

I was looking extensively at the vsx-1123, what hifi claimed this is the better sounding avr, they reviewed both. Only comparison so far i have seen, but this avr gets probably the most glowing reviews for sound quality I have seen, i have looked at the denon x2000, yamaha 675, onkyo 727, and vsx-1123. And as mentioned what hifi claimed this is the best avr.

I also like the features of this avr.
post #207 of 1075 Old 07-24-2013, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post

The 1040 only upscales 4K via HDMI, that's it. Pretty much everything else just passes through.
There is a pass through on/off option.
From what I understand, some AVRs (older Denon?) won't pass RGB full signals (0-255). The 1040 will
and supports pretty much every video signal. Besides having excellent audio it even supports Sony's
new extra wide color gamut displays.

That definitely takes care of any lag concerns.

One thing I liked about the vsx-1123 was the marvell qdeo upscaling chip, but I probably should not buy an avr for upscaling. However its a nice feature to have mainly because my satellite company sends everything as 720p, of course avr video chips can include other headaches. Currently as you mention with denon, it appears in the vsx-1123 an issue with rgb levels as well when video conversion is set to on.
post #208 of 1075 Old 07-25-2013, 02:17 PM

Just bi-wired the amp and can't get the audio to play through my laptop and it was before when it was in
single wire mode.
Audio comes through in 2 sec bursts laptop is connected to tv via hdmi and audio via optical to amp,A.P.M
is flashing on amp display during audio bursts.
All other devices play audio ok.Thanks for any help with this issue.
post #209 of 1075 Old 07-25-2013, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

That definitely takes care of any lag concerns.

One thing I liked about the vsx-1123 was the marvell qdeo upscaling chip, but I probably should not buy an avr for upscaling. However its a nice feature to have mainly because my satellite company sends everything as 720p, of course avr video chips can include other headaches. Currently as you mention with denon, it appears in the vsx-1123 an issue with rgb levels as well when video conversion is set to on.

I bought the 1040, Energy Take Classics and the new Sony w900a at the same time. I uprgraded for the new PS4 and Xbox One coming out soon. Very little lag to worry about if you are a gamer.
I couldn't be happier with both, it's a great combo.
post #210 of 1075 Old 07-26-2013, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrorman View Post

Just bi-wired the amp and can't get the audio to play through my laptop and it was before when it was in
single wire mode.
Audio comes through in 2 sec bursts laptop is connected to tv via hdmi and audio via optical to amp,A.P.M
is flashing on amp display during audio bursts.
All other devices play audio ok.Thanks for any help with this issue.

UPDATE:Went into amp settings and changed APM from auto to off,went back to laptop and tried audio
but still the s2 second bursts of audio with like 4 seconds of silence.
But i noticed the opt showing in the display was flickering,so i checked both ends of the cable and it is
properly secured to amp and tv.So i disconnect both ends and reconnect, and for some reason it's fixed it.
Audio sounding excellent and there is definitly an improvement in sound quality having my new Tannoy Mercury V 4's bi-wired.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Sony Str Dn1040 7 2 Channel 1050 Watt A V Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page