AVS Forum banner

Sony STR-DN1040 Official Thread

339K views 1K replies 367 participants last post by  crabnebula 
#1 ·
The 1040 replaces well reviewed 1030. It should be out by the end of May.

Very interested in seeing the reviews on this one. 1030 owners feel free to share your thoughts.

One of the big upgrades over the 1030 is the new and improved GUI.

7.2 Ch. Of Power

165W per channel, this powerhouse envelopes you in a new level of sound performance. (165W x 7 @ 8ohms 1kHz 0.9% THD with 1 ch. driven)

Wi-Fi Built-in

Get connected to the Internet and your home network to access more music than you can imagine, including music stored on your computer, music services built-in or AirPlay.

Bluetooth Built-in

Play your music out loud – stream it from your smart phone or tablet to the receiver. Bluetooth streaming can even wake the receiver from standby mode.

AirPlay

Easily stream your music from your iPhone/iPod Touch, iPad or iTunes along with compatible music Apps like Spotify and iHeart Radio. Simply touch the AirPlay logo when it appears and select the STR-DN1040 to amplify your tunes. AirPlay can even wake your receiver from standby mode.

Network Services

Music streaming at its very best. Navigate and enjoy the latest from Pandora, Music Unlimited, Slacker and vTuner.

10 HD Inputs

Get versatile HD connection options with seven HD inputs. Eight HDMI™ inputs (up to 4K capable) let you connect a Sony® PlayStation®3 entertainment system, Blu-ray Disc™ player, any 2 other HDMI-capable devices, for high definition video and audio. 6 Two component inputs (1080/60i capable) provide added HD-capable connectivity and versatility.

Sony Store Page
http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666556859

Sony Video Preview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRFGjTkH9BE&feature=player_embedded

CNET Preview
http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers/sony-str-dn1040/4505-6466_7-35734383.html

See less See more
#2 ·
As a recent owner of the STR-DN1030 I am very curious to know what the differences will be between the two receivers.

From what I can see, the major difference will be the great improvement to the GUI.

I wonder if there will be a software update for the 1030 that will install the new GUI on the 1030.

(Wishful thinking?)

#3 ·
I just installed the 1030 and it is all about the sound quality, bluetooth, built-in wi-fi and apple device streaming. However, it did fall short with the OSD and Power per channel which helps with music detail, the number of HDMI inputs which puts this into a real connectivity center. Will get this once the price drops to an more COMPETITIVE LEVEL. ONKYO has some new receivers.

#4 ·
Im on the fence, looking at the 1040 or the Denon X2000 or 1000.

I'm buying a new Sony W900A once it comes out so it would be nice to have Sony connectivity.

Ive read review where the 1030 matches the performance of the Denon 1913.

Cant wait to read the reviews.

#5 ·
Ok this will sound strange, but...

As this has 2 HDMI outputs, could I connect one to my NX720 for video, and another to my HTIS100 for sound?

Basically I want a new separate receiver, for future purposes and to handle 3D, but am waiting to move before getting separate speakers, so would like to use my HTIS100.

Does that sound possible?

#9 ·
I owned the 1030 but ended up returning it a couple months ago when I saw the 1040 would be coming out. The key features for me were the 2 HDMI outputs and 4K support for future upgradability. As I was waiting for the release of the 1040 I found the Pioneer SC-1522-K at Costco which is a awesome value. Has all the features of the 1040 plus powered 2nd and 3rd zones and a Class D3 9-channel amplifier.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by farbnj  /t/1471400/sony-str-dn1040-official-thread#post_23362642

An AMAZING deal on this receiver today on what used to be called buy.com.

I hate to buy it without trying it out or seeing many reviews, but I decided to go for it.

farbnj,

Thanks for posting this deal! I wouldn't have known about it otherwise. I also jumped on this deal as I need a new 4k receiver to go with my new 4k tv.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by farbnj  /t/1471400/sony-str-dn1040-official-thread#post_23362642

An AMAZING deal on this receiver today on what used to be called buy.com.

I hate to buy it without trying it out or seeing many reviews, but I decided to go for it.

I bought it as well-incredible price!! Cant wait to receive it and happy to hear you got one as well.

I also bought the Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers from Newegg for an amazing price.

It was a good weekend.

#15 ·
I already have the Energy Take 5 speakers and am hoping they are a good combination with the receiver. We'll have to compare notes.

I just received an email that even with "budget shipping", the receiver was sent out via Fedex today and I will receive it tomorrow. Woo hoo.

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by farbnj  /t/1471400/sony-str-dn1040-official-thread#post_23366529

I already have the Energy Take 5 speakers and am hoping they are a good combination with the receiver. We'll have to compare notes.

I just received an email that even with "budget shipping", the receiver was sent out via Fedex today and I will receive it tomorrow. Woo hoo.

Congrats! I just noticed that as well, I should get it tomorrow. Except it requires a signature. Might have to work from home tomorrow. I called Energy, the tech guy said the speakers should be fine. just make sure to set speakers to small (duh). The AVR is rated at 165W per channel, if true might be a little too powerful for the speakers.

But I doubt it's really that strong.

#17 ·
Thanks for the tip on this deal! I was feeling same as you, I would have liked to try it out at a store first to make sure it is everything as good as they say it is. But the deal was too good to let it pass by at this time.

I just ordered one. Only thing I don't like is paying the extra sales tax which added on about $40 to the price! Now waiting to see how quiclly and how well this new buy.com rakuten.com handles the order.

The ad says ships in 1 day with free shipping meaning available now. But at checkout it states otherwise for their free shipping offer.

#18 ·
I guess it depends on what state you live in. In my state, there was no Sales Tax.

Also, for Shipping, it DEFAULTED to express shipping (with a charge), but when I changed it to budget shipping, it was free...but would up shipping in one day anyway. Supposed to arrive today!

#19 ·
Yeah, it's too bad I live in a popular state (NY) that a lot of businesses have presence in, so must collect taxes. I hate when sellers do not disclose their location or where the items will ship from.

I see my order status is saying it is preparing for shipping, so hopefully it will ship out today. But I am wondering, for all those that have gotten their shipping tracking numbers, where are they shipping out of (what state)?

That will help me determine if I will get it delivered this week or next week. Thanks if you can provide that info of from where your unit shipped from.

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbiased  /t/1471400/sony-str-dn1040-official-thread#post_23368276

Yeah, it's too bad I live in a popular state (NY) that a lot of businesses have presence in, so must collect taxes. I hate when sellers do not disclose their location or where the items will ship from.

I see my order status is saying it is preparing for shipping, so hopefully it will ship out today. But I am wondering, for all those that have gotten their shipping tracking numbers, where are they shipping out of (what state)?

That will help me determine if I will get it delivered this week or next week. Thanks if you can provide that info of from where your unit shipped from.

Mine shipped out from Suwanee, GA and it is going to take 2 days to get to the northeast.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2j  /t/1471400/sony-str-dn1040-official-thread#post_23368721

Mine shipped out from Suwanee, GA and it is going to take 2 days to get to the northeast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by farbnj  /t/1471400/sony-str-dn1040-official-thread#post_23368743

Mine shipped from NJ

Thanks for sharing the shipping locations. I am hoping that mine will ship today (same day ordered this morning) and if it ships out of NJ, usually arrives to NY in one day.

Anyone already got theirs and formed an opinion yet? No reviews anywhere on the web yet. So looks like this forum is going to be the first place we can get real feedback on it.

#25 ·
Just checked my order status at buy.com and it says shipped! Checked the FedEx status and it says shipped from SWEDESBORO, NJ US which is great. Expect delivery tomorrow! next day!

If this is representative of the new buy.com service, it is much improved from my past experiences ordering from them!

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Bone  /t/1471400/sony-str-dn1040-official-thread#post_23369928

Just got off the phone with BestBuy and they price matched the rakuten.com price of $445.99, no questions asked. Picking it up tonight and will compare it to my week old Denon X1000 and the winner stays.

Nice going! I'm very curious to hear what you think. I almost bought the denon but the 1040 has so many

features-8 HDMI and Wifi! I also trust Sony on the image processing side of things. I'm not sure the Denon

will pass RGB Full according to Batpig. And I plan to buy a PS4.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.