Help. The local display on my Pioneer sc-61 is not working - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-06-2013, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, has anyone experienced this? The on-screen display works on my TV, and I can manipulate the controls, but I also don't get any sound out. I'm wondering if I've somehow gotten in a standby mode and can't get out. The IPOD/USB port doesn't work either. It's almost like everything on the front panel is dead. Since the USB port doen't work, I can't update the firmware. If I try to update via internet, I get an error 7. The iphone remote app talks to the receiver and I can see the controls are going through (like changing volume), but still no output to speakers. The blue light on the power button does illuminate along with two other blue lights on the front panel, but that's it, no amber LED display. I can't even do a manual reset since that refers to local display conditions. Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-06-2013, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatonoggin View Post

Hello, has anyone experienced this? The on-screen display works on my TV, and I can manipulate the controls, but I also don't get any sound out. I'm wondering if I've somehow gotten in a standby mode and can't get out. The IPOD/USB port doesn't work either. It's almost like everything on the front panel is dead. Since the USB port doen't work, I can't update the firmware. If I try to update via internet, I get an error 7. The iphone remote app talks to the receiver and I can see the controls are going through (like changing volume), but still no output to speakers. The blue light on the power button does illuminate along with two other blue lights on the front panel, but that's it, no amber LED display. I can't even do a manual reset since that refers to local display conditions. Thanks for any help.

wow
OK...

1. did you try pressing the Dim button on the remote? you could have accidentally hit it & that would turn off the front panel display. pg 12 & 68 in manual. button is #8 on rmt and you need to 1st hit RECEIVER on the remote, button 13 in the manual, not the turn on button. then press the Dim button and see if you can restore your display by pressing it once or multiple times. each press should turn it on, brighten it in increments, or turn it off. my best guess is this is what happened smile.gif

2. forget the ipod port until you get front panel display. then try selecting it with the selector knob on the front panel NOT the remote, just to see if you can that way & confirm with the front panel. if you can, then try selecting it with the remote. in order to do this, read page 43 in your manual.

3. none of the FW updates are doable over the internet. Pioneer is very clear on their website for FW downloads, they are USB flash only. every update to date has been USB only. DO NOT try to update the FW unless you get your front display back to normal and are comfortable that you understand the basic operation of this receiver. updating the FW will NOT do anything to fix it & you'll just end up confused with a potentially bigger mess if you can't tell for sure what the receiver is doing. before even attempting an update, check your manual on how to see the current version and check against the downloads. it may already have the latest.

4. volume & sound issues...did you do your initial speaker setup configuration? select which speakers are in use & which ones are not?...things to check in the setup:

-using the remote, press the RECEIVER button, then the Speakers button (#7) and make sure you don't have speakers set to Off - press it to select either SP A On or SP SB/FH On (depends on your speaker setup configuration you did)
-use the remote, press the Audio Parameters button, then press it until HDMI appears - it should be set to AMP. if it's set to THROUGH, sound is shut-off from the receiver.

once you get to that point, & still no sound, try Pure Direct mode for a 2 ch source. at least take it out of Auto Surround if you didn't do your speaker configuration yet. but you should have done that at least, if not the calibration.

Steve
post #3 of 5 Old 05-06-2013, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks so much for the detailed reply Steve. I have tried to get the display with the control on the remote. I know that it is getting the command because after about 3 clicks of the button, I see the blue FL LED light up on the receiver. I believe this is the "display off" state. But it never comes on when I scroll through the other settings, which I presume are bightness levels (no display to observe) and that is why it takes several clicks to come back around to the FL setting again. In any case, the display never comes on. I did try to configure speakers through the TV display, but could never get a sound out. One last thing, I noticed that the fan on the left side of the unit does not come on. I'm not sure if that should always be on when the unit is power up, or if it is temperature controlled. If it should always be on, I may have a power supply problem. If it is thermally controlled, it could be more complicated. It would be a big help if you could tell me if this fan is always on or not. Thanks again for your help.
post #4 of 5 Old 05-06-2013, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

^^
if toggling the remote dim button doesn't get your display back, IMHO, I think you should look at returning the receiver to the dealer/store and get them to swap for another one if you still can. otherwise, you may have to call Pioneer to report the problem & see if they can help or give you authorization for warranty repair.

I don't know of any other settings that would prevent the display from working other than dimmer and I certainly have never seen one come that way out of the box. it should be on by default & certainly right out of the box. you should also be able to see on your TV OSD the ipod/USB input when you select it, if it also never appears even on the OSD, then it looks like a problem in the receiver. if you can see ipod input on the TV, then it may be tied to your front display problem.

did it display when you 1st powered it up? if not, it's defective.

the fan is thermostatically controlled. I can't tell on my SC-68 if it's on or not when I power it up. the SC-09TX I also own, after it warms up, the fan is on at a very low speed, hardly detectable but there. I think at some point, the fan should be on. leave yours on for an 1hr, even playing nothing, and see if you can hear it.

EDIT - It so happens I have a service manual for the SC-57 model. looking at the diagnosis flowchart, for "no FL display": if Dimmer is Yes & FL Off LED is No >> diagnose several circuits. if Dimmer is No, then it immediately has you >> diagnose several circuits, incl replacing the transformer.

IMO, if pressing that button on the remote didn't get you a front display, it "ain't" looking good frown.gif I'd be calling the store/dealer or calling Pioneer ASAP.

Steve
post #5 of 5 Old 05-06-2013, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

and it just occurred to me...if a bad transformer is one of the reasons for no front display, that could also explain why you have no sound, providing the settings are really correct.

Steve
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page