Still a Carver Fan - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 05-06-2013, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
this is to let people know that there are many good amps from Carver available from Ebay. those looking to step up from the receiver humdrum can step into real quality audio by pairing a multi-channel amp and a pre-processor that will kick the crap out of any receiver up to $3000. the Carver AV 705X and AV505 can be found from $300-550 on Ebay. I have an AV705X at 125 watts a channel 8 ohms and almost 200 at 4 ohms. this amp from the 90s kicks ass, home theater or music quiet, dynamic, and runs cool even after hours of play.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-06-2013, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I am still running an carver av-64 cathedral amp I bought in 88, still sounds awesome

Yamaha CX-A5000, ATI AT 2007 Amp (7X200W), ATI AT 2004 Amp (4X200W)
Klipsch RF 63's - Main, RB 61's - Front heights, RC-62 - Center, RS-62's - Surround, RS-52's - Rear Surround
2 Rythmik DS-1510 DIY Subwoofers (With PEQ600XLR3 Amp) each connected with Antimode 8033S-II
post #3 of 10 Old 05-07-2013, 05:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a 505 that sounds great, quiet, powerful, cool, it's not the "hot" new name, just good old quality.
post #4 of 10 Old 05-07-2013, 05:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I've owned 2 bob carver amps in the passed, the cube and a phase linear 400. Both amps ended up with one fried channel and fried the woofers in both systems. To me bob carver is cheap crap, yes there good bang for the buck amps when new and working, but in the long run it could cost you big time...
post #5 of 10 Old 05-07-2013, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
You did notice some amps mentioned are over 20 YEARS OLD, and still running fine? I've never seen a Carver lay down since they were released, I'm sure they have somewhere, but no one I know.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-07-2013, 03:17 PM
g4s

Liked: 17
I have 2 Phase Linear 700b's that are used regularly. Pictured in my avatar. They've both been serviced over the years. Nothing serious. They're almost 40 years old. The owners manual for these old ones says to fuse your speakers. I agree.
post #7 of 10 Old 05-10-2013, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

you can say what you want about Bob Carver, but he brought high end sound within reach of the masses my first experience with Carver was the AVR100 bought the floor model from Harvey Electronics in NJ. the salesman didn't even know what model it was. I looked it up and found the MSRP was $1100 and they had it marked $450. It was the best sounding receiver I ever owned and looked realy classy with the peweter face and wood side panels. I had it paired with a pair of Dahlquist DQ20 s what beautiful sound and power. couple of years later sold it to a friend of mine and went with Carver separates. never had a problem with any of them. the high end manufacturers didn't like him because he made them look bad when an under $1000 amp can't be distinguished from one costing 5 times the price. that is why his amps are still being sought after and there are shops that still do repairs and mods to these Carver classics. Kudos to you Bob and the enjoyment you brought to so many.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-10-2013, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Bob Carver has innovative ideas... Bob Carver brought high powered equipment to the masses... Unfortunately, you get what you pay for. I have owned a few Carver products and found them to be cheaply built. My Sunfire True subwoofer MK II amp failed twice... My TFM35 power amplifier faied. My Phase Linear C4000 pre-amp failed in a couple of months (poor design, it used relays which oxidized immediately). Admittedly, my 400 power amp worked until I got rid of the C-4000. My matching pre-amp/tuner also failed... The only Carver that had no problems was my C-9 Holographic generator. I also had a pair of AL-III+ speakers. The ribbon driver failed right out of the box.

You open up a Carver piece and it screams cheap. I don't know why I kept buying his stuff. I guess because it was cheap.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #9 of 10 Old 05-11-2013, 05:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post

Bob Carver has innovative ideas... Bob Carver brought high powered equipment to the masses... Unfortunately, you get what you pay for. I have owned a few Carver products and found them to be cheaply built. My Sunfire True subwoofer MK II amp failed twice... My TFM35 power amplifier faied. My Phase Linear C4000 pre-amp failed in a couple of months (poor design, it used relays which oxidized immediately). Admittedly, my 400 power amp worked until I got rid of the C-4000. My matching pre-amp/tuner also failed... The only Carver that had no problems was my C-9 Holographic generator. I also had a pair of AL-III+ speakers. The ribbon driver failed right out of the box.

You open up a Carver piece and it screams cheap. I don't know why I kept buying his stuff. I guess because it was cheap.

Bob Carver was and maybe still is like a early Henry Ford, Bob Carver,cheap high power amps to the masses. If I saw the Bob Carver name on aircraft or medical equipment I would run the other way !! What would air travel be like if there were Carver 747s flying over your house, scary to even think about... Over the the years I have bought products that didn't last or live up to high expectations, I guess because it was cheap also !
post #10 of 10 Old 11-19-2013, 07:42 AM

I just purchased some Carver VTA-180s and they sound great. They are all hand made here in the USA!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page