6 ohm amp 4 ohm speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-07-2013, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Equipment:

I have an amp designed for 6 ohms at 20W/channel.

I have two speakers, both the same and rated at 6 ohms and a power capacity of 175W.

Usage:

Play music at very very low volume before going to sleep for about 1 hour.

Concern:

Will this arrangement of equipment and specific usage destroy my equipment.

---

I appreciate that this is really stupid question and I should know better but I would like to get a professional opinion. The usage is VERY specific and this amp will never ever be used for loud playback but I want to avoid damage to the gear.

I sincerely appreciate your anticipated feedback.

Kindest regards
Alex

I found some data on the speakers that might be of use but I don't want this to get too technical per se.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-07-2013, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Do you mean your speakers are 4 ohm?

Using 4 ohm speakers with a 6 ohm amp is fine. As long as you're careful and don't try crank it too loud, then you will never have an issue with this setup.

Your equipment will be fine.

post #3 of 8 Old 05-07-2013, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, that's correct.

amp = 6 ohm
speakers = 4ohm

-

Do you think the Watts issue is a concern? The speakers are rated at 175W and the amp 20W/channel.

Again, this will be run for only an hour or so before I go to sleep and at a very low volume because only the night owls are up then.

-

Thank you very much for your reply.
post #4 of 8 Old 05-07-2013, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by a santos View Post

Yes, that's correct.

amp = 6 ohm
speakers = 4ohm

-

Do you think the Watts issue is a concern? The speakers are rated at 175W and the amp 20W/channel.

Again, this will be run for only an hour or so before I go to sleep and at a very low volume because only the night owls are up then.

-

Thank you very much for your reply.

speaker ratings are essentially how much power they can take before they self destruct. THey absolutely are not how much power the speaker 'needs." . Most folks use less than 2 watts for the majority of their listening. NO problem.

The amp is "rated" down to 6 ohms. It is not a 6 ohm amp. Solid state amps don't need output transformers or any kind of impedance matching to work at their best (unlike tube amps). So the rating suggests that the company is not comfortable with the idea that you'd push the amp hard at lower-than-6-ohm impedances. The issue is current/heat - - lower impedance requires more current and the amp may not have the capacity to deliver that current. But Ohms law tells us that the current needed varies according to voltage (and power) so if you are listening at 85 dB using one or 2 watts, you're not stressing tha amp a bit. I wouldn't crank way up with that amp, but it sounds like that's not your MO anyway.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-07-2013, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Hi JHAz

I sincerely appreciate the time you took and the brief but very detailed and easy to understand reply.

I think I am ready to connect the speakers and use them as described - at whisper quiet volumes.

Thanks again for your time and advice.

With kindest regards
Alex
post #6 of 8 Old 05-08-2013, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

For closure's sake and posterity, I wanted to leave some final comments on my experience, post connecting the speakers.

Everything is fine. The amp was allowed to play some music at above the reported use. While conducting this preliminary test and at the end of the test, I monitored the amp's steel housing by intermittently making hand contact over the entire surface of the amp's steel housing. I felt an evenly distributed, barely warm temperature and there were no hotspots. It was barely warm on a very hot day. The amp is positioned in the shade of course and is not in receipt of direct sunlight throughout the course of the day.

I ran the volume at about 20 out of 50 steps for an half hour and during the remainder of the hour long test at about 10 out of 50 possible volume steps. The sound quality was very good and there was no audible distortion emitted at any time from the speakers throughout the course of the test, even when observed from close proximity.

The heat issue is within normal spec and raises absolutely no alarms. I am confident to report a high comfort level with this configuration even while playing back above the volume level load I plan to subject the configuration to. I strongly believe that this should not put anything at jeopardy.

Again, I appreciate your recommendations, it gave me the courage I needed and I sincerely hope this helps others with similar setups and concerns.

Thanks again
Alex
post #7 of 8 Old 05-08-2013, 07:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 351
What 20 watt amp/receiver are you using?

Afro GT
post #8 of 8 Old 05-09-2013, 01:33 AM - Thread Starter

The amp is a Yamaha CRX-330 (technically it's a receiver) - http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/av/english/hifis/CRX-330_UA_en.pdf

The speakers are JBL's Control 5 - http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Control%20Series/Control%205WH.pdf

If you would like to contribute any thoughts you are very welcome to.

This is not my main system, it's just a bedroom setup for night listening. My main system on the other hand is downstairs and used almost daily and it's all properly setup with a configuration that matches.

Kind regards
Alex
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page