From a newbie: two questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-08-2013, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
All,

Some of you have already seen me lurking among the posts and you may be familiar with the system I am about to buy. For those of you who do not, let me preempt my questions with a snapshot of the gear:

Panasonic VT60
Integra DTR 70.4
B&W CM9 (fr, fl)
B&W CM Centre 2
B&W CCM682 (surround)
Paradigm Monitor 12
Panasonic DMP-BDT220

Now, for the questions.

1. Is there a cheaper receiver out there that is better or just as good as the Integra DTR 70.4? I HATE the price tag on this one. I spoke ith the sound and technology company regarding moving to the DTR 50; however, they said the lower watts per channel would not allow me to "open it up".

2. Is there much of a difference between the Pansonic VT 50 and VT 60? I would rather save money on the older television as prices will continue to fall with the offering of the VT 60 and the soon to release ZT model.

Thanks for your help!

LennartzHT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-08-2013, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 848
I'd put my money to work for better bang for the buck speakers first of all, as well as that overpriced and underperforming sub. Some reason you're getting a 9 ch avr for a 5 ch setup? That 70.4 avr is rated at 140w/ch in stereo, especially compared to the 7 ch 50.4 which is rated at 135 on the same basis. That's barely different, it takes a doubling of power to increase spl by 3dB, 5 w/ch you won't even be able to tell the difference. It's the feature set in the avr you should be concerned with. Certainly not something that will be different in terms of "opening up", for the rated 200w capacity of your mains; you'd probably want outboard amps on either avr if you want max capabilities. Who the heck is trying to sell you on all this nonsense?

The VT50 got great reviews, I wouldn't worry about the minute differences for the newer models unless they're very important to you.

post #3 of 3 Old 05-08-2013, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

I'd put my money to work for better bang for the buck speakers first of all, as well as that overpriced and underperforming sub. Some reason you're getting a 9 ch avr for a 5 ch setup? That 70.4 avr is rated at 140w/ch in stereo, especially compared to the 7 ch 50.4 which is rated at 135 on the same basis. That's barely different, it takes a doubling of power to increase spl by 3dB, 5 w/ch you won't even be able to tell the difference. It's the feature set in the avr you should be concerned with. Certainly not something that will be different in terms of "opening up", for the rated 200w capacity of your mains; you'd probably want outboard amps on either avr if you want max capabilities. Who the heck is trying to sell you on all this nonsense?

The VT50 got great reviews, I wouldn't worry about the minute differences for the newer models unless they're very important to you.

PS You might look at Integra's little brother the Onkyo, particularly the 818 if you want to save some money and still have the potential for 9ch (with an outboard amp).

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page