Emotiva XPR-5 Buzz Kill..... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 05-11-2013, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Okay so after much positive reading I decided the pull the trigger on the new XPR-5 as Emotiva was having a couple hundred off sale. I patiently wait a few days to get the amp, then read the power requirements and had to wait a few more days to get my electrician out to install a dedicated 20amp circuit. Finally get to hook up the unit today and luckily decided I should test her out first before rearranging my entire rack to fit this beast inside. Plug her in and red lights...unplug and do it again, same thing. Then the third time she comes on, sits for a minute, then I turn off my Yamaha which should have triggered the XPR-5 to shut off and nothing. Try to turn it into standby from the front panel and no response, then I check the other buttons on the front panel and no response from any of them either. Try one more time and it comes on again, but this time a loud zapping noise which scared the crap out of me.....then smoke...At that point I figured I got a faulty unit. Total freaking BUZZ KILLl!!!!!!!!

Question. This is the first time I have bough online direct from a company mail order. Tried calling the Emotiva repair line, but it says they are not open until Monday, so I wait. Does anyone have experience with Emotiva support. Last thing I need is a hassle on warranty (replacement) after spending $1800 on an amp that is pretty much DOA. All I can say is that they better not want me to pay to ship this unit back to them at my cost as its likely to cost me $150 or more dollars...and for that matter I payed the price for a new unit, so they better not try to do the "we will repair" it bit on me and send me a b-stock or repair the rock I have. I have always read positive things about them, but I have to say I am a bit disappointed in this situation.

Jim Parys is Living the dream...
La Sirena III Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-12-2013, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I bought a refurbished unit and haven't had any problem with it yet. I've only had it for 9 months though and still have 4 years to go on the warranty. Emotiva is pretty good about warranty repairs but not sure how they handle shipping. Shipping was moot for me as I'm just a short drive from Emotiva HQ -- cheaper ( and safer ) to drop off than ship for any repairs.

I did have a problem with mine randomly going into protect when I turned on lights in other parts of the house that had nothing to do with the circuit the amp was on. I just had to find the right outlet combination on the AVR and amp to use that wouldn't cause this problem. The amp is on a dedicated 20 amp as well as the AVR, so maybe there is some surge being picked up from another circuit that drops from the attic to the breaker box. It does look like a chimpanzee did the original wiring in my house but it takes way too much effort to rewire everything. The XPR-5 is VERY picky when it comes to voltage surges from turning on other circuits in the house.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
post #3 of 13 Old 05-12-2013, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Please call Emotiva first thing tomorrow. I know you will be very pleased with how they handle your problem. Don't sweat this and you will be very happy with the XPR-5!!!
post #4 of 13 Old 05-12-2013, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had the exact some problem , but in my case it happened 5 month after using it , and I am facing this problem just like you are now , Contacted Emotiva almost a month ago when the ZAP sound happened , Support asked me to remove the Power cables ( XLR in my case ) and keep the speakers cables connected in order to find out what exactly is causing the problem or if the problem is actually with the device ... It ZAPED again while customer support was on the line and this time with smoke !.

Next day one of their engineers contacted me and after many emails forth and back , he promised me either a full refund or a replacement unit. My case is much worse than you guys because I Live in Saudi Arabia and shipping this beast back to Emotiva would easily cost me around 600$. as far as I understood , they understand my case and they dont want me to ship it back .. but maybe this is on a special case for me as I live far far away.

for the past weeks , I am waiting for the final Boss decision on my matter , even thou I was already promised one of the two options mentioned above. Will keep you all posted with my case.

Cheers
Sami

* Edit : also forget to mention that I have a 20 AMP dedicated line , Installed ( wired ) by a professional Prior arrival of the device smile.gif
post #5 of 13 Old 05-13-2013, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Jim,

Just call support.

Since you're a US customer and this happened inside your 30 day return period, we'll be advance-shipping you out a replacement unit and a call tag (pick-up tag) for your defective one. (You pack up your current unit, print out the tag and stick it on the box, and FedEx will pick it up when they drop off the new one - or, of course, you can drop it off if you really want to.)

This doesn't happen often, and we always hate it when it does, but shipping damage is an unfortunate fact of life - and we always do our best to take care of our customers when it happens. Our apologies, but don't sweat it smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Parys View Post

Okay so after much positive reading I decided the pull the trigger on the new XPR-5 as Emotiva was having a couple hundred off sale. I patiently wait a few days to get the amp, then read the power requirements and had to wait a few more days to get my electrician out to install a dedicated 20amp circuit. Finally get to hook up the unit today and luckily decided I should test her out first before rearranging my entire rack to fit this beast inside. Plug her in and red lights...unplug and do it again, same thing. Then the third time she comes on, sits for a minute, then I turn off my Yamaha which should have triggered the XPR-5 to shut off and nothing. Try to turn it into standby from the front panel and no response, then I check the other buttons on the front panel and no response from any of them either. Try one more time and it comes on again, but this time a loud zapping noise which scared the crap out of me.....then smoke...At that point I figured I got a faulty unit. Total freaking BUZZ KILLl!!!!!!!!

Question. This is the first time I have bough online direct from a company mail order. Tried calling the Emotiva repair line, but it says they are not open until Monday, so I wait. Does anyone have experience with Emotiva support. Last thing I need is a hassle on warranty (replacement) after spending $1800 on an amp that is pretty much DOA. All I can say is that they better not want me to pay to ship this unit back to them at my cost as its likely to cost me $150 or more dollars...and for that matter I payed the price for a new unit, so they better not try to do the "we will repair" it bit on me and send me a b-stock or repair the rock I have. I have always read positive things about them, but I have to say I am a bit disappointed in this situation.

post #6 of 13 Old 05-13-2013, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for your comments all. I did call Emotiva this morning and they were plesent to deal with. As Keith indicated, I can happly report that Emotiva is going to advance ship me a new unit and other than packing up the faulty unit and having it ready to swap with Fedex for the new unit, the return process will be pretty much painless. I am very excited about the XPR-5 and cant wait to get it installed and operating. It sux when things are damaged, but I do understand that it happens from time to time. Its how you are treated when the things sometimes happen that makes the differnce. Thanks and I will report on the new unit when it gets here.

La Sirena III Theater
post #7 of 13 Old 06-09-2013, 09:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Love happy endings, and this is why I have 3 of their amps at my place.
post #8 of 13 Old 06-10-2013, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by NODES View Post

Love happy endings, and this is why I have 3 of their amps at my place.
happy endings are great.....its just too bad that there exists a very loud vocal minority that likes to bash on certain companies over and over again.

Ive got no problems with my emotiva amp and would freely recomend them to friends and enemies alike.smile.gif

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
post #9 of 13 Old 06-23-2013, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:

Well my xpr-5 ended on a happy note, so I took the plung and got an xpr-2 as they are on sale right now. Well here we go again. Open the box, lift the beast in to the new rack position that took me a hour to clear, hook her up and guess what? Another DOA. At least this time no smoke and popping. Everything turns on, but no sound out of either channel.

Is the "balanced/unbalanced" switch in the correct position?

Before being insulted, I write from experience here. Just last week I built a new 7-channel snake to fit precisely between my AVR-used-as-prepro and my multichannel amp. (Neither part is from Emotiva.) I had no sound out of the left channel, or the surround back right channel. I started wondering if my RCA was bad, so I hooked it up to my cable tester. It was fine. So I started going through the speaker wires. Also fine. I was above to remove the back wall of my left speaker to check the internal wiring, when I looked again at the amp...and noticed that the bal/unbal switch was on the wrong input for those two channels. (My amp has separate switch for each channel.) Must've inadvertently flicked it while running the snake.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
Multichannel music (and video) urban loft living room system 
post #10 of 13 Old 06-24-2013, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 185
To me the worst part is thinking about the extra $700+ for the amplifier and the time and cost of an electrician- all for an additional 3 decibels of output over an XPA. Output that you'll likely use next to never (if EVER) anyway, and if you do, it's still just 3 decibels, which for most speakers/rooms is likely already driving the loudspeakers past their limits or the room into truly absurd (read: dangerous) SPL levels. Yep, even the "hard to drive" units (1000 watts into a 4 ohm 88db speaker yields well over 100dbs at TWELVE feet).

Sorry to hear, glad to hear it all seemed to work out for you.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #11 of 13 Old 06-24-2013, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I deleted my post on this second unit as I didnt want to give poor press for something that this time around was my mistake and not a QA or shipping issue. Thank you to DS 21. Yes, I either mistakenly hit the balance/unblance switch to the wrong position or it was defaulted there and I didnt catch it. Made the switch and everything works just fine. Both my XPR-5 and XPR-2 are up in the rack, sound outstanding and look just as good. As I am going with a full 11.2 setup I am likley to pick up one more XPR-5 in the next couple weeks to finish off all channels.

La Sirena III Theater
post #12 of 13 Old 06-24-2013, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 794
Quote:

I deleted my post on this second unit as I didnt want to give poor press for something that this time around was my mistake and not a QA or shipping issue. Thank you to DS 21. Yes, I either mistakenly hit the balance/unblance switch to the wrong position or it was defaulted there and I didnt catch it. Made the switch and everything works just fine. Both my XPR-5 and XPR-2 are up in the rack, sound outstanding and look just as good. As I am going with a full 11.2 setup I am likley to pick up one more XPR-5 in the next couple weeks to finish off all channels.
lol....good to hear your issue was a non issue. We all have done dumb things like that...just the other day I turned my system on and only heard some low frequency thumps. Freaked me out until I realized somehow my xpa-5 didn't get turned on. I was only hearing my subs initially.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
post #13 of 13 Old 11-01-2013, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Is the XPR series proving to be more reliable than the XPA units? I have an XPA-5 that is now out of warranty and it has issues with popping when first turned on and some noise in several channels even with preamp turned all the way down. The unit has been returned for service on 4 different occasions and now that it is out of warranty they will not repair it again unless I spend upwards of $300 to replace all the caps. I have spent more than that on the many trips to ship it back and forth but I think I'm done with this unit. I was the second owner and I guess I shoudl have known better when I purchased it from him as it was being returned from Emotiva following another repair. If this were a car it would be a lemon and the dealer/manufacturer would have to make it right. I'm hesitant to try anything new from Emotiva after all the issues I have had with this unit. I don't know why they can't just replace it or repair it correctly. To be fair, I had an XPA-3 which never gave me a moments trouble. I sold it a while back but should have kept it I suppose.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Emotiva Xpr 5 Reference Five Channel Power Amplifier