Onkyo "Home Media" playback - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 05-11-2013, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Has anybody succeeded in getting their Onkyo receivers to play back from a network share using the "Home Media" option? I tried both my media server and a Synology DS412+ NAS, no go. I see the devices, but all I get is "No Item" when I select them. Sonos has no problem with the shares, both my computers see each other and the NAS. The sole purpose for this is so I can stream .DSF files from my server, thus giving me a SACD music server. Everything is gigabit cat6 with static address.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-11-2013, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by krassyg View Post

Has anybody succeeded in getting their Onkyo receivers to play back from a network share using the "Home Media" option? I tried both my media server and a Synology DS412+ NAS, no go. I see the devices, but all I get is "No Item" when I select them. Sonos has no problem with the shares, both my computers see each other and the NAS. The sole purpose for this is so I can stream .DSF files from my server, thus giving me a SACD music server. Everything is gigabit cat6 with static address.

+1

I would like to know the answer as well. I have a QNAP NAS with SMB, AFP & NSF enabled but I always get "No Item" message. My all other devices have no issues seeing the files on QNAP.
post #3 of 13 Old 05-12-2013, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

DLNA on the other hand works fine; unfortunately .DSF files don't work with it. So far the only way I can play them is from a USB thumb drive.
post #4 of 13 Old 05-12-2013, 04:05 PM

Quote:

Has anybody succeeded in getting their Onkyo receivers to play back from a network share using the "Home Media" option?

Yes but for some reason I can only see my DS212 NAS from the Onkyo when another pc on the network which can access the NAS is powered on.
post #5 of 13 Old 05-12-2013, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Did you have to do anything special for the router or the NAS? My computers are always on anyway.
post #6 of 13 Old 05-12-2013, 08:28 PM

The only thing I changed on the NAS was turning off hibernation and enabling the media server service. Router is pretty much untouched.
post #7 of 13 Old 05-12-2013, 08:29 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Has anybody succeeded in getting their Onkyo receivers to play back from a network share using the "Home Media" option?

This question was asked on the Onkyo Support forum and the "official" answer was "HOME MEDIA is for the use of MAC consumers also utilizing a SAMBA server". No idea if this is correct, or why there is no documentation of this feature.
post #8 of 13 Old 05-13-2013, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooie View Post

Yes but for some reason I can only see my DS212 NAS from the Onkyo when another pc on the network which can access the NAS is powered on.

Are you using "DLNA" or "Home Media" from the network menu of the Onkyo?
post #9 of 13 Old 05-13-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:

Are you using "DLNA" or "Home Media" from the network menu of the Onkyo?

Hi. DLNA works fine. Nothing shows up in Home Media menu until I turn on my gaming box or HTPC which both have network access to the Synology. Then that other computer and the Diskstation will appear under Home Media menu after exiting then restarting the Onkyo net application. All my FLAC files show up and playback fine.
post #10 of 13 Old 05-14-2013, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Tried it, no go. Will post in the Onkyo forum as well. I probably have to sacrifice a goat or wait for the planets to align just the right way.
post #11 of 13 Old 05-18-2013, 03:10 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Tried it, no go. Will post in the Onkyo forum as well. I probably have to sacrifice a goat or wait for the planets to align just the right way.

Thanks for that. Please keep us posted.

As others stated Twonky DLNA server on the QNAP NAS works reasonably well (some HD Flac files don't play). It is disappointing that a product costing so much would not detail a menu feature/usage in its user manual.
post #12 of 13 Old 08-22-2013, 03:26 PM

Liked: 24
Hi. Anyone happened to get this working? I have a nas4free box (freenas in the past) and all was working fine until suddenly it stopped working with the "no item" message. Not sure if this is directly related to the firmware upgrade I did recently.
post #13 of 13 Old 10-07-2013, 07:40 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Hi everybody!
I have Synology DS213 and TX-NR3010, according to all information which I had there was no chance to get this work. But turned out it may work. When I started I saw same as you "no item" message. Then I enabled Guest account on my DiskStation And granted "read only" access to my music directory and voila Onkyo sees all folders and plays directly *.flac, *.dsf but not *.dff. If you don't have NAS simply share folder in Windows environment and it should work.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Synology Ds412 High Performance Easy To Manage 4 Bay All In 1 Nas Server For Smb Users , Onkyo Tx Nr3010 9 2 Channel Thx Certified Network A V Receiver Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page