Marantz NR1603 white noise problem in tweeters - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 05-12-2013, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I just bought a brand new Marantz NR1603 and brand new floorstanding speakers (Q-Acoustics 2050i). After wiring everything up I started playing some music and it all seemed pretty great. However, one day later, I started noting some white noise in the mix. Usually, I am sitting about 3 m away from the speakers and during somewhat quieter parts in a tune, I can hear the white noise. If I move closer to the speakers its quite audible. The white noise is definitely coming from the tweeters.

I know that some white noise is expected, but I thought you would hear that only if you have your ears very close to the speaker. As I said I can hear it sometimes from a 3m distance. Does anyone here have any clue whether this is normal and what could be the cause of this?

The Marantz AVS has an output of 50W at 8ohm and 80W at 6ohm per channel according to the spec. The speakers have a nominal impedance of 6ohm with a minimum of 4ohm. I don't think this will be an issue right?

Secondly, the speakers are not yet bi-wired. Would it perhaps help if I bi-wired them?

I played my music so far only with the volume at 65%, so I have definitely not damaged any parts by cranking the volume to high. I placed my AVS in a tv closet (with enough room to be cooled sufficiently though) with a bunch of other equipment (modem, blu ray player, satalite box, NAS). So there are quite a lot of electrical cables. However, I already disconnected all other devices (except the blu ray as it plays my CD's) and the white noise persists. So I guess the current in the electric cables interfering with the AVS signal can be ruled out.

Any other Ideas?

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-12-2013, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 257
The high-frequency noise is being produced in your receiver circuitry.

It has nothing to do with your speakers. Speakers do not generate noise.

Any speaker you hook up will reproduce it (assuming they can go just as high in frequency as the current ones).

You can verify this by hooking up other speakers.

If it is bad enough to bother you, send it in for repair under warranty; otherwise, live with it.

The signal-to-noise ratio of the amplifier is rated at 98 db, which means that the noise should NOT be audible (however, it may not be the amplifier that is at fault, if some other circuit is leaking the noise into the amplifiers).

I would send it in for repair.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-12-2013, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thx for your reply Commiesman. Guess I will contact the guys at Marantz then.

I was a bit afraid that I damaged the amp by hooking up speakers that have a potentially lower impedance (i.e. nominal is 6 but minimum is 4ohm) than the amp. You hear different things about the severity of such difference. But I guess you feel this is alright?
post #4 of 9 Old 05-12-2013, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBaboon View Post

Thx for your reply Commiesman. Guess I will contact the guys at Marantz then.

I was a bit afraid that I damaged the amp by hooking up speakers that have a potentially lower impedance (i.e. nominal is 6 but minimum is 4ohm) than the amp. You hear different things about the severity of such difference. But I guess you feel this is alright?

Before sending the Marantz in for repair, care to check you cables? The white noise (or better to be called hiss) you are hearing can easily be attributed to a bad cable with loose grounding. Do you hear the hiss when you put your player to Pause and crank up the Master Volume knob on the Marantz?
post #5 of 9 Old 05-12-2013, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Mogorf,

When I play some music at 60% of the volume, I have an audible hiss. When I pause the music I don't hear it anymore. Upon cranking the volume while paused, I start to hear the hiss again at 80-90% of the volume (very clear at 90%, considerable less so at 80%).

Could this indeed be loose grounding of the cables?
post #6 of 9 Old 05-12-2013, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey Mogorf,

When I play some music at 60% of the volume, I have an audible hiss. When I pause the music I don't hear it anymore. Upon cranking the volume while paused, I start to hear the hiss again at 80-90% of the volume (very clear at 90%, considerable less so at 80%).

Could this indeed be loose grounding of the cables?

If you pause and don't hear the hiss I think the problem is not with the Marantz. Try to disconnect the cables and then crank up the Master Volume knob. Report back please. smile.gif
post #7 of 9 Old 05-12-2013, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies Mogorf.

I will report back tomorrow evening as I have to get up early tomorrow for work eek.gif.

Just for my understanding, what could be the cause for the speaker wire to be loose grounded? Would that mean some internal damage or (i guess more likely) something going on a the connection points between amp & wire? Maybe to much isolation material scraped off at the ends? Still I took care in doing this, plus I hear the hiss in the tweeters of both speakers...
post #8 of 9 Old 05-12-2013, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for your replies Mogorf.

I will report back tomorrow evening as I have to get up early tomorrow for work eek.gif.

Just for my understanding, what could be the cause for the speaker wire to be loose grounded? Would that mean some internal damage or (i guess more likely) something going on a the connection points between amp & wire? Maybe to much isolation material scraped off at the ends? Still I took care in doing this, plus I hear the hiss in the tweeters of both speakers...

Hard to tell from where I am, but I'm not talking about speaker wire, but the inter-connect cable between you player and your AVR. See Ya tomorrow. smile.gif
post #9 of 9 Old 05-14-2013, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

So I have checked the cable between the blu ray player and I don't think this is the issue. I also bought an ethernet cable and connected my AVR to my modem. I subsequently ran some tunes from my NAS, thereby excluding the blu ray player from the circuit. The hiss still persists...

Apart from an AVR which has a malfunction, something popped my mind yesterday: when connecting the speaker wire to the receiver i twisted the tips of the wire, so that they would fit the connectors. The wire of course consists of a whole bunch of smaller hairlike wires twisted together. A short piece of this hair like wire broke of and fell in my receiver, via the ventilation openings at the top. Could it be that this little piece of wire is cross-circuiting some of the internal parts, thereby causing this hiss?

Cheers
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Nr1603 Slim Line Av Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page