Volume issue with AVR 1600 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-14-2013, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

Sorry if this is a stupid question, I looked through the threads but couldn't find an answer with a cursory search. I just purchased one of these on sale, and after some monkeying with it, i managed to get it to work with my SmartRadio hooked up via 3.5mm to RCA to the CD inputs in the back. At first, for some reason it would not allow me to use the remote control to control the volume, until I went into the OSD interface on the TV and changed the input setting to analog. So now I'm trying to connect the cable TV signal to the receiver's VIDEO 2 inputs via RCA as well, and i can get sound, but i can't control the volume from the remote control. It seemed this time I could not simply go into OSD and change the setting to analog before this started working, so I'm baffled.

I'm sure this is just some setting but i'm obviously not smart enough to figure it out.

Anyone know what's going on? Never had this type of issue before with a receiver before buying this one..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-15-2013, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 317
I'm assuming this is Harman Kardon AVR 1600 receiver.

Was this an "open box" unit? If so, whoever used it before probably left the settings in a random state.

It probably would be appropriate to do a "processor reset" to return the settings all to factory default and then start from there. See page 35 of the owner's manual for instructions on how to do that.

If you have a surround-sound speaker system, then run the speaker calibration procedure. (page 23)
Otherwise, follow the instructions on page 24.

Use the "Input Setup" menu to configure all of the input connections. If all of the audio input selections are set with "Auto Poll: On", then you shouldn't need to set them manually to "Analog".

Does this help at all?

Selden
post #3 of 5 Old 05-24-2013, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

No, it wasn't an open box unit, it was brand new never opened.

Is it a matter of speaker calibration per se? I just want to make sure i'm explaining the problem properly.

The volume is impossible to use on all of the inputs.

I have to go into the ":OSD" on my TV and toggle all the settings for the given input back and forth before I can use the volume on the remote. And that works about 50% of the time.

I don't understand who imagined that an end user would want to have to sit there configuring volume settings every time they use the unit. When i press 'up', the volume should GO UP.
post #4 of 5 Old 05-24-2013, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

BTW I cannot toggle the Auto Poll option for any input like I can the other options.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-24-2013, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 109
The Auto-Poll option is available only when the selected audio input port is either optical or coaxial...

Just my $0.02... wink.gif
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page