HDMI 1.4 vs optical. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-15-2013, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys! I bought a new home cinema - LG BH6430P- which is a 5.1 speaker setup with a 3d blu ray player.I also have a 55" 3D TV -LG55LM649S.So I installed the 5 speakers and the subwoofer to the back of the bluray player, I connected the blu ray player to the tv via hdmi and also via optical.My tv supports ARC, but the tech guy at the store said I am better off with optical.Should I get rid of the optical and use the hdmi with arc for audio, or should I get rid of the arc, use hdmi only for video and optical for audio? I watch a lot of tv, meaning much of the time I will be watching standard tv channels.I also want to play xbox 360 and seemovies from usb connected to bluray player.And ofc watch bluray movies from bluray disks.I currently use HDMI to output the video from bluray and I use optical to get audio from tv and xbox.What do you suggest?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-15-2013, 06:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 1059
Quote:
Originally Posted by kostasmaniac View Post

Hey guys! I bought a new home cinema - LG BH6430P- which is a 5.1 speaker setup with a 3d blu ray player.I also have a 55" 3D TV -LG55LM649S.So I installed the 5 speakers and the subwoofer to the back of the bluray player, I connected the blu ray player to the tv via hdmi and also via optical.My tv supports ARC, but the tech guy at the store said I am better off with optical.

Your "Blu Ray player" appears to be an Audio Video Receiver (AVR) with a built-in blu-ray player. It is a component of a Home Theatre in a box or HTIB, which usually implies limitations on quality and flexibilty.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-blu-ray/dvd-blu-ray-home-cinema/home-cinema-systems/lg-bh6430p-5-1-smart-3d-blu-ray-home-cinema-system-21309873-pdt.html

http://www.lg.com/uk/support-product/lg-BH6430P#

The intent is that you connect the TV to to the AVR and that connection should suffice. Any other video sources (game, cable box, etc) should be connected to the AVR.
Quote:
Should I get rid of the optical and use the hdmi with arc for audio, or should I get rid of the arc, use hdmi only for video and optical for audio? I watch a lot of tv, meaning much of the time I will be watching standard tv channels.I also want to play xbox 360 and seemovies from usb connected to bluray player.And ofc watch bluray movies from bluray disks.I currently use HDMI to output the video from bluray and I use optical to get audio from tv and xbox.What do you suggest?

The obvious weakness in this setup is the fact that your AVR appears to have no spare video inputs and only very limited inputs for audio.

To use your Xbox you thus need to hook its video link directly to the TV. You have the option of hooking Xbox sound to the AVR via either analog or digital. I would favor using the digital connection if possible.

You shouldn't need to attach the TV to the AVR via any other means than HDMI, but you need a HDMI cable that supports ARC. Under your situation, ARC may be your best option for watching over-the-air TV.

Your basic problem is the limited functions offered by your HTIB.

What problems are you encountering due to reliance on the ARC connection to your TV?
post #3 of 7 Old 05-15-2013, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
To use your Xbox you thus need to hook its video link directly to the TV. You have the option of hooking Xbox sound to the AVR via either analog or digital. I would favor using the digital connection if possible.

What problems are you encountering due to reliance on the ARC connection to your TV?

I've got not problems yet, as I just bought it and I didn't have the time to test it.That guy from the store said to me that I need to buy an optical cable so that I can get 5.1 channels from standard TV channels and I thought there is an obvious advantage over ARC...He also said ARC is low techand only supports stereo over standard TV channels.I had the time to watch standard TV channels, movie from Usb and played some X360 and I didn't notice any difference between ARC and Optical.But that was like...2minutes testing each.If there is not a substantial difference in quality between the two, I can get along with one cable... (HDMI with ARC).

I connected the xbox only to the TV via HDMI and I could playback sound to the home cinema.
post #4 of 7 Old 05-15-2013, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 123
The salesman likely told you wrong. ARC and optical almost always support the same outputs. I say almost because I have seen at least one TV that supports DD 5.1 over optical but not ARC. The real advantage to optical is simplicity. ARC uses HDMI Control, which can be flaky at times.

There's no such thing as a cable that supports ARC, btw. As long as both devices support ARC, any cable will work.

If you want genuine 5.1 from sources that have it, you need to make digital audio connections from the devices directly to the receiver. That's because most TVs will not pass multichannel audio from external devices. They only do stereo. Check your owner's manual to see whether your set passes DD 5.1 from HDMI connections.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-15-2013, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
There's no such thing as a cable that supports ARC, btw. As long as both devices support ARC, any cable will work.

I think ARC was introduced with the 1.4 version of HDMI,so I refered to it as HDMI with ARC.I could just say 1.4, but I wanted to pinpoint the tech we are talking about (ARC).
Quote:
If you want genuine 5.1 from sources that have it, you need to make digital connections from the devices directly to the receiver. That's because most TVs will not pass multichannel audio from external devices. They only do stereo. Check your owner's manual to see whether your set passes DD 5.1 from HDMI connections.

I only have an optical connection from the TV to the AVR.The xbox is connected with HDMI to the tv.I don't see any way to connect the xbox to the AVR with optical or coaxial connections.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-15-2013, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by kostasmaniac View Post

Quote:

I think ARC was introduced with the 1.4 version of HDMI,so I refered to it as HDMI with ARC.I could just say 1.4, but I wanted to pinpoint the tech we are talking about (ARC).
My comment was actually in reference to arnyk's suggestion that you need to get an ARC capable cable. As for HDMI 1.4, ARC is optional. Both devices need to offer that specific 1.4 option in order for it to work.
Quote:
I only have an optical connection from the TV to the AVR.The xbox is connected with HDMI to the tv.I don't see any way to connect the xbox to the AVR with optical or coaxial connections.
It sounds like you have all sorts of connectivity challenges given the limited capabilities of your equipment. So, you'll just have to do the best you can. I was merely pointing out that routing audio through the TV may limit you to stereo. If so, you may want to explore other sorts of connections.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-15-2013, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
My comment was actually in reference to arnyk's suggestion that you need to get an ARC capable cable. As for HDMI 1.4, ARC is optional. Both devices need to offer that specific 1.4 option in order for it to work.

Ow right...I didn't get the reference tongue.gif My tv has an HDMI slot labeled: "HDMI (ARC)"
Quote:
It sounds like you have all sorts of connectivity challenges given the limited capabilities of your equipment. So, you'll just have to do the best you can. I was merely pointing out that routing audio through the TV may limit you to stereo. If so, you may want to explore other sorts of connections.

Yeah..I guess my best option is to leave it as it is and if I am not satisfied, if my tv does not support DD5.1 via HDMI, I will buy some adapters or extenders. ..
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page