Digital audio from cable box - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-15-2013, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'd really appreciate any suggestions anyone has. So here's my problem. I am trying to run the digital audio from my Motorola set top cable box to my Rega DAC and then into my stereo amplifier, but no sound is coming out and the DAC isn't even acknowledging any input.

I have a Motorola set top box from Verizon and a blu ray player that are fed into the TV by HDMI cables. I have contacted Verizon who said that the digital audio outputs are always on if a cable is connected.

The blu ray player works fine with an optical digital audio cable out into the DAC. (There is a setting on the blu-ray player to switch off the audio via HDMI).

On the cable box, I have tried both the coax digital output and the optical digital output into the DAC, with no success with either. I have tested both cables with other sources and the cables are fine.

I then tried the optical digital output from the TV straight to the DAC and that worked, i.e. the audio goes to the TV via HDMI, then from the TV to the DAC via optical.

So, the digital audio from the cable box works. The cables themselves work. The DAC works. I just can't get the digital audio from the cable box to work direct into the DAC (it only seems to work if I go via the TV).

I have gone through all the settings on the cable box to see if there is anything, and the only audio setting is an option for either mono, stereo or surround. Needless to say, I've tried all these with no success.

Let me know any suggestions at all, and thanks once again for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-15-2013, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Chance are the cable box is putting out Dolby Digital only, which many DAC's cannot understand. You can see if there is a setting to change the box's output to PCM.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-15-2013, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 122
+1

The cable box output is likely DD. But, why not simply use the output of the TV? You are getting a stereo PCM output that way, which is exactly what you want.
post #4 of 4 Old 05-15-2013, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the feedback. I was trying to be a perfectionist and see if I could get the right output direct from the cable box to the DAC, but you're right - I should just use the output from the TV and enjoy it that way.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page