UPS for receivers/amps? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 05-15-2013, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey guys, I know that there used to be some debate on whether or not you should put your receivers/amps on a UPS, but I was wondering what some of you guys are doing for your systems these days? I currently have a Denon 4520CI and an Emotiva UPA-700 that I am trying to figure out how best to protect from surges and storms.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-15-2013, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I'm just using a Monoprice surge suppressor.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-15-2013, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
I have a surge protector on the whole house at the breaker that should, in theory, protect most of my stuff. And yes, I realize that there is a LOT of debate on the area of power. What I was thinking of was putting something like an APC 1500 Va Sinewave UPS in front of the receiver and amp.
post #4 of 11 Old 05-15-2013, 09:33 AM

Liked: 10
You don't need a UPS unless you have chronic brownouts or blackouts and have equipment that needs to remain powered. The best protection is a whole house surge suppressor, supplemented by point-of-use surge protectors near the equipment being used. Such a setup should protect against all but a direct lightning strike. The only guaranteed way to protect your equipment during a thunderstorm is to unplug it. A direct lightning hit will bypass any surge protection devices.

post #5 of 11 Old 05-15-2013, 09:37 AM

Liked: 147
I have an APC Smart-UPS 1500 and have my HTPC, network switch, router, and Onkyo 3010 AVR plugged into it. I also have a whole house surge protector. The APC gives a true sine wave output, but that is not really needed with modern electronics. I have such a large UPS due to the surge from startup of the AVR and I used to have a Plasma TV plugged into it as well. I use a UPS to protect from brown outs - the brief power drops and droops you can see from time to time - I do not want such nasty power hitting my electronics. The whole house protector (which is very cheap - less than $70 at Home Depot) protects against surges only.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Eaton-Complete-Home-Surge-Protection-CHSPT2MICRO/202800798?N=c4nxZ384#.UZO5d3nD8y8

I prefer an external whole house surge protector (instead of the ones that sit in the actual breaker slots) because I can easily see its status.
post #6 of 11 Old 05-15-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

I prefer an external whole house surge protector (instead of the ones that sit in the actual breaker slots) because I can easily see its status.

Small point, whole house surge protectors do not sit in breaker slots, only the double-pole breakers feeding them. The surge protector always installs outside the panel in its own metal enclosure, where you can see its status, like the Panamax unit pictured here. Wires from the surge protector pass through a knockout in the panel wall, the hots connecting to each 120V leg through a double-pole breaker.

post #7 of 11 Old 05-15-2013, 12:10 PM

I have a surgex power titan protector. It was given to me and I've not had any issues but I don't know if the series mode protection is marketing mumbo jumbo or real.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-15-2013, 08:14 PM

Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen B View Post

Small point, whole house surge protectors do not sit in breaker slots, only the double-pole breakers feeding them. The surge protector always installs outside the panel in its own metal enclosure, where you can see its status, like the Panamax unit pictured here. Wires from the surge protector pass through a knockout in the panel wall, the hots connecting to each 120V leg through a double-pole breaker.

They now make some that do, such as this one by Square D. I ran into them while researching before I bought mine.

Quote:
Square D by Schneider Electric QO SurgeBreaker Surge Protective Device Takes 2 Load Center Spaces
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Square-D-by-Schneider-Electric-QO-SurgeBreaker-Surge-Protective-Device-Takes-2-Load-Center-Spaces-QO2175SB/100202111?N=c4nx#.UZROznnD8y8

But the one I selected works just as you said, though mine screws through one of the knock out holes and the wires run through it into the breaker box.
post #9 of 11 Old 05-16-2013, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 253
We have a lot of power glitches in our area. I have my AVR, BD player, TV, and smaller electronics (crossover, game systems, etc.) on a 1500 VA APC UPS unit. The power amps, including the subwoofers, go direct into the wall. We also have a couple of whole-house units at the main service, one for transient protection and one for lightning (had a strike hit a tree about 50' from the house a few years ago).

I have most all the major electronics in the house, including other TVs and computers, on their own little APC units.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #10 of 11 Old 05-16-2013, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 158
I use a battery backup on my system, but protection from surges is a distant second for the reason I use it. The primary reason I use it is for reliable power in the event of a power outage. Not that I need to be able to listen to my stereo, but in case I'm in the middle of a firmware update on anyone of my devices. I have my Denon 4311 AVR, Oppo BDP-95 and all my network devices plugged into the UPS. This allows me to complete the firmware update in the event of a power outage. Nothing worse than a $1K+ device being bricked by a failed firmware update due to a power outage. If I had a projector I would plug that into a UPS as well. This would allow me to gracefully power it off to protect the bulb.
post #11 of 11 Old 07-30-2013, 01:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Living in the lightning and power outage capital of the USA, where outages are not only frequent, but lengthy ones common, my AV components are all fed by 1100VA and 2200VA line-interactives with 4 fully populated and a 5th partially populated 6-way strip plugs attached. I have smaller line-interactives in the bedrooms with TVs, and at 3 computer stations. I never know when I'll be doing something that won't tolerate interruption, and I really don't like resetting well over a dozen timers and clocks that can't appropriately be set automatically.

After 3 APC units going bad since Thanksgiving, the new one I just ordered is an Eaton.

Genuine HD via ATSC and BUD satellite DVB.
Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page