Biamping help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-18-2013, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So I have the vsx1522 and definitive technology 8060 towers, 8080 center and 8040 surrounds. I was curious as far as the towers do I biamping off wides or front height? As far as the center what would I biamping into and what about the rears?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-18-2013, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 140
The Bi-amp feature can be used but, it really adds very little to nothing in the SQ. To get the real benefits of Bi-amping you need an active external crossover. You cannot bi-amp the center speaker. The tweeter and woofer will both receive a full signal with this avr. The excessive signal for each will be dissipated in the passive crossover as heat.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus Five 200 amp, Chase SS 18.2(2), VS 18.1(2), Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #3 of 6 Old 05-19-2013, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Appreciate the help.
post #4 of 6 Old 05-20-2013, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 253
While agreeing 100% on passive bi-amping not offering audible benefits, the crossover typically includes components that reject the out-of-band (LF) signal; it does not usually dissipate it as heat within the crossover (it could, but that would be pretty wasteful).

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #5 of 6 Old 05-20-2013, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Most passive xo networks have inductor, capacitors and resistors that store energy or control voltage. The inductor or capacitor can also filter out frequencies as a low pass filter and high pass filter respectively. If heat is not generated in this filtering process, where is the excess energy going?

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus Five 200 amp, Chase SS 18.2(2), VS 18.1(2), Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #6 of 6 Old 05-21-2013, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Lets take the example of a very simple first-order crossover. In that case, a capacitor is in series with the signal to the HF driver, and an inductor is in series with the woofer. The capacitor's impedance is high at low frequencies and low at high frequencies. The inductor is the opposite, high impedance at high frequencies and low impedance at low frequencies. The amplifier looks like a voltage source (ideally, with infinite current capability).

The inductor thus "blocks" current flow to the woofer at high frequencies because its impedance is high, and the capacitor does the same at low frequencies to prevent them from reaching the tweeter. The high impedances reduce current flow so there is no effective power out of band (power is voltage times current). An analogy would be a battery with nothing hooked to it; without a load there is no current flow and thus no power dissipation (heat). Ideally no energy is dissipated in the inductor or capacitor, thus no heat in those components. There is stored charge, in a magnetic field in the the inductor and an electric field in the capacitor, but that is ideally lossless. There is parastic resistance etc. in the inductor and capacitor that dissipates energy but those losses are (or should be) very small.

Resistors may be added to attenuate the signal (e.g. to roll off a "hot" tweeter) or aide in impedance matching and they do dissipate energy, but that is usually a very small part of the crossover if even present (many have no resistors).

HTH - Don

p.s. I simplified and ignored parasitic and second-order effects as they do not cause significant dissipation in most designs and I felt the discussion beyond the scope of this post.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page