Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 05-20-2013, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hello,

I am in the process of building my 2nd subwoofer for my HT. I currently have Pioneer 1015 THX reveiver which I really like but I think I might want to upgrade to something with some better auto EQ settings. I don't currently use any EQ on my mains as I found the settings drastically change between seating positions and I like to sit in different spots occasionally. My energy mains sound pretty good flat so I just leave it like that. I have a DSP 1124 for sub EQ and I can use the other channel on it for a 2nd sub but it might be better to EQ them together instead. I will have to play with it.

Basically I want to see if anyone thinks it would benefit me to upgrade my receiver based on auto EQ feature alone. Does it make that much of a difference? I didn't think my MCACC did very much but I have a very early basic version of it that only takes one measurement for the whole room. I also will mention I have 6 DIY room treatment panels and some bass traps in there. I guess I would be willing to spend $800.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-20-2013, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Yes, its worth to me and you need not spend that much. I had an Onkyo with out and replaced it with a Onkyo with it. Never could get the old system set up very good, switch to new AVR with no other changes, run Audyssey 2EQ and for the first time sounded right. I got the Onkyo from ac4less. good deal.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-20-2013, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

What did you get? I was looking at the 818 but might wait until it comes down some more in price.
post #4 of 9 Old 05-20-2013, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

I got the 515. I am using a Polk RM 7.1 speaker setup and 80 watts per works for me. Check out http://www.accessories4less.com for price.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-20-2013, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Seems like a good price but I'm not sure that would accommodate two subwoofers.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-20-2013, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Uhm, a receiver doesn't have to have 2 pre-outs, a Y-splitter will do the trick.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-20-2013, 06:46 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1367 Post(s)
Liked: 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil17108 View Post

Yes, its worth to me and you need not spend that much. I had an Onkyo with out and replaced it with a Onkyo with it. Never could get the old system set up very good, switch to new AVR with no other changes, run Audyssey 2EQ and for the first time sounded right. I got the Onkyo from ac4less. good deal.

The rub with using 2EQ is that it does not EQ the sub whereas MultEQ, MultEQ XT, and MultEQ XT32 all do EQ the sub. frown.gif Onkyo got smarter this year and started all models off with MultEQ (as do Denon and Marantz) rather than 2EQ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SightSeeker1 View Post

What did you get? I was looking at the 818 but might wait until it comes down some more in price.

The 818 features the most advanced version of Audyssey MultEQ XT32 however does not feature Sub EQ HT (dual sub delay and trim setup) as do the higher Onkyo models. You may also want to consider the new Denon X4000 which features both XT32 and Sub EQ HT.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #8 of 9 Old 05-21-2013, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

The rub with using 2EQ is that it does not EQ the sub whereas MultEQ, MultEQ XT, and MultEQ XT32 all do EQ the sub. frown.gif Onkyo got smarter this year and started all models off with MultEQ (as do Denon and Marantz) rather than 2EQ.
The 818 features the most advanced version of Audyssey MultEQ XT32 however does not feature Sub EQ HT (dual sub delay and trim setup) as do the higher Onkyo models. You may also want to consider the new Denon X4000 which features both XT32 and Sub EQ HT.

Just what is EQ, I was thinking that it is a manufactures brand name for what it is the product does, guess not. With the Audyssey 2EQ, its run from 3 points to make required adjustments, in this case the sub was turned down 3 DB. It must do something. The viewing room as is the hole home is " bright " there for the Audyssey changed tremble and bass settings, turing down the center 8 DB. It sure made a deference. Any Audyssey is better then no Audyssey.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-21-2013, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil17108 View Post

Just what is EQ, I was thinking that it is a manufactures brand name for what it is the product does, guess not. With the Audyssey 2EQ, its run from 3 points to make required adjustments, in this case the sub was turned down 3 DB. It must do something. The viewing room as is the hole home is " bright " there for the Audyssey changed tremble and bass settings, turing down the center 8 DB. It sure made a deference. Any Audyssey is better then no Audyssey.

You're talking about adjusting the levels/trim/volume of the speakers and sub; that's not considered EQ (equalization) which balances the frequencies so that they all play the same volume (a flat response). Audyssey EQ does more than that and offers several versions. Your version - 2EQ - only sets the level for the sub but not not provide any EQ as it does with the other speakers.

OP - I'd suggest the Onkyo 818 which offers XT32 and can be found for $700 (less than your budget). Otherwise if you can stretch your budget, the Denon recommended is your best bet.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page