How to compare power of Receiver vs Amp - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-21-2013, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For example, I have a Yamaha HTR5990 that is generously rated as they only drove one channel yada yada. What kind of numbers does that put up compared to the Outlaw 7075 that is rated at 75 watts all channels driven? I'm contemplating adding the 7075 to my 5990 and I'm curious how the numbers compare. I am of course primarily interested in SQ, and I have to believe that the 7075 had an easy victory in that department but I have not heard one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-21-2013, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 64
http://www.audioholics.com/education/amplifier-technology/the-all-channels-driven-acd-amplifier-test

Building a HT with 7.2.4 layout and ◤SEOS-24◥ LCR.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-21-2013, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonieGT View Post

For example, I have a Yamaha HTR5990 that is generously rated as they only drove one channel yada yada. What kind of numbers does that put up compared to the Outlaw 7075 that is rated at 75 watts all channels driven? I'm contemplating adding the 7075 to my 5990 and I'm curious how the numbers compare. I am of course primarily interested in SQ, and I have to believe that the 7075 had an easy victory in that department but I have not heard one.

The outlaw would likely be more powerful but the real question is do you need more power. That depends on the speakers you have, how far you sit from them and how loud you like to listen. I have a Denon 3311 and I added a 200 watt per channel Rotel stereo amp and there was no improvement in sound quality. That's probably because my speakers are crossed over at 80hz to my sub and my room is not very big so the Denon has no problem driving them. If your Yamaha is struggling the outlaw might help but it’s not a very big increase so I doubt it would do much good if any.
post #4 of 6 Old 05-21-2013, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 90
mjpearce023 basically said what you need to know. But I will say, if you're considering Outlaw, why not upgrade to their 975 and 7075 combo smile.gif
post #5 of 6 Old 05-21-2013, 01:01 PM

Liked: 56
This is a good source of info, check "HT Labs Measures"

http://www.hometheater.com/category/av-receiver-reviews
http://www.hometheater.com/category/power-amplifier-reviews

For example:

Outlaw Audio 7500 5-Channel Power Amplifier Specifications:
Power output: 200 watts RMS x 5 (all channels driven simultaneously into 8 ohms from 20 Hz to 20 kHz with less than 0.03% total harmonic distortion)

http://www.hometheater.com/content/outlaw-audio-7500-5-channel-power-amplifier-measurements
Quote:
With five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads, the AVR reached 0.1% distortion at 260.1 watts and 1% distortion at 301.1 watts. The manufacturer’s stated distortion of 0.03% was reached at 238.7 watts, which is actually higher than the spec'd 200Wpc at that distortion level with all channels driven.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-22-2013, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for the links. I have some reading to do.

Regarding power, I don't kniw that I need more power (though I just moved and had to give up movie theater for a living room setup) but I am interested in sound quality. I will wait till I can get everything up and running and see how it sounds...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page