Advice Wanted: 3 Channel AV receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-25-2013, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi group,

I'm looking to replace my now-ancient Marantz SR9002 receiver with something a little more modern. The devices I'm looking at are the SR7007/Denon equivalent, Cambridge Audio Azur 751r and that's about as far as I've gotten.

My issue is this: These devices are designed to accommodate many more channels than I'm going to actually use. I have a large main pair of speakers (Reference 3A Episodes) for listening and a Totem center channel for watching movies. I've got an Oppo-83 I'm planning to upgrade to a 103 or 105 sometime soon. I'd prefer to optimize this receiver for 2 channel listening as that is the majority of what I do on this system. Airplay streaming is definitely nice to have as I have a large collection of lossless encoded audio in my iTunes collection. It's not critical to have in the receiver though as I have an Apple TV with digital output. Android or iOS remote would also be really nice to have as most hardware remotes suck, but I do have a Harmony One I can likely reprogram for whatever I get.

Any recommendations? Help me save some copper and recommend a good 3.0 channel receiver! smile.gif

UPDATE: I should point out that separates are not necessarily off the table. I'll put my budget around $3000 to get things rolling.

thanks,
Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-25-2013, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 43
The Marantz 7007 looks awfully nice. It has all the features you could possibly need, and the 125 watts should be enough for most users. If you find that the power is lacking you always have the option to add a seperate amp.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-25-2013, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crn3371 View Post

The Marantz 7007 looks awfully nice. It has all the features you could possibly need, and the 125 watts should be enough for most users. If you find that the power is lacking you always have the option to add a seperate amp.

Yeah, I'm not at all worried about the power. Just almost feels wasteful having all of those extra channels sitting unused. Definitely love all of the features available on it though and users here seem to be pretty happy with it.

The Cambridge Audio looks like a nice alternative (might even be able to get by with just the 551r but a little less feature-rich. Their emphasis on stereo listening is sort of tempting though.

thanks for the reply!
post #4 of 7 Old 05-25-2013, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Who knows, you may eventually want to add a subwoofer or go surround.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-25-2013, 05:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Any 5.1 or 7.1 receiver will support a 3.0 setup. Just pick one with the features you want.

Afro GT
post #6 of 7 Old 05-25-2013, 08:06 PM

Liked: 22
post #7 of 7 Old 05-26-2013, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crn3371 View Post

Who knows, you may eventually want to add a subwoofer or go surround.

It's not totally out of the question, I guess. Running rear channels in my room is challenging and I'm at a premium for space already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Any 5.1 or 7.1 receiver will support a 3.0 setup. Just pick one with the features you want.

Certainly true. I was just wondering if anyone made a 3-channel receiver/processor. Without needing 7 amplifier sections, I'd think I'd be able to get something higher quality for less money -- of course, not if this is a niche thing, but worth considering. smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubicleCrusher View Post

This package comes in at $2600:
Marantz AV7701 7.2 Channel
MM7055 Amp

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Marantz-AV7701-7-2-Channel-3D-4K-Processor-MM7055-Amplifier-Theater-Pakg-/271190335233?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item3f24341f01

Also...
..you could use this 3-channel AMP:
http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/amplifiers/products/xpa3

with a pre/pro/AVR of your choice.

Yeah, I was looking at the separates. I'm not familiar with Emotiva, but that looks like a pretty capable amplifier. There are likely others as well. I guess for the sake of space in this case I'd probably lean more towards the SR7007 since it has essentially the same feature-set and is about half the size. I keep coming back to the 7007, and considering my current receiver's lasted me 10+ years, that seems like a pretty good option.

Thanks everybody!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page