Should I still use Harmon Kardon AVR630 for 5.1 Surround - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-27-2013, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I am going to be putting in a home theater system, and we are trying to decide if we should be using our HK AVR630, which has been practically never used, as the receiver. We have decided to only spend about $2,250 on the audio side, so we do not know if it makes sense to spend a portion of that amount on the receiver. Thanks in advance.

Frogster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-27-2013, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 130
That AVR lacks HDMI inputs, which is a significant limitation these days. While it is certainly possible to get excellent sound with a non-HDMI receiver (I have one myself), there's a lot of extra work in setting things up and you have to have a good universal remote since you'll be switching video and audio separately whenever changing sources. A increasing number of new devices don't even have legacy connections.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-27-2013, 09:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 388
If you're willing to spend that kind of money you should probably update your receiver too. BIslander is correct what w/o HDMI inputs your HK is very limited.

Afro GT
post #4 of 7 Old 05-27-2013, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

That is really raining on my parade, as it means less money that I will want to spend on speakers. But, I guess we save money on avoiding the costs of a universal remote, something that I wasn't counting on in the first place.

For the time being, our inputs will be primarily cable box and sonos connect, but we will likely use a blu ray player once a month and then will likely also get a game player in four or five years.

Thanks for the input.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-27-2013, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Here's an umbrella for your parade: If you are really just using a cable box and Sonos, then the HK will be fine. Without HDMI, the occasional Blu-ray will be limited to lossy DD and DTS. But, the lossy encodes on BD are very high quality and it's unlikely you will hear any difference. You can get a Harmony remote that controls five devices for about $75. Harmonys are great remotes and worth the investment even without the connectivity issues caused by the lack of HDMI. Then you can spend the rest on better speakers and upgrade your AVR down the road, if the need arises.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-27-2013, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks very much, BIslander. My wife pointed out that we will probably also be using an airplay or features on a smart tv, but in any event, it sounds like you think the receiver will work well for us for awhile and in a few years if we begin to have more sources or care more about it, we can switch to a new receiver then. Thanks.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-27-2013, 08:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Then make sure your TV has enough HDMI inputs for everything you want/need and that these devices have a optical or digital coax output to connect to your HK 630.

You're gonna use a lot more cables with a non HDMI receiver but you can make it all work with a good remote.

Afro GT
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page