Why supplemental power amps on TOP of a AVR-3313ci? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-28-2013, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
An audio installer quoted surround sound Denon AVR, and to drive music for outside speakers and remote room speakers, he's quoting 2 power amps that each cost almost as much as the AVR! I thought the Denon Zone 2 and 3 could be used for remote speakers by themselves. What's up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2013, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

First, what (and how many) speakers are you having installed for your 2/3 zones?

Second, the 3313ci only has 7 amplifier channels; 2 of which may be assigned as Z2 or Z3 outputs (it is possible to power both Z2 & Z3 using that assignable channel, but then each zone will be mono instead of stereo). This means you lose 2 channels in the main room (leaving you with 5.1).

If you want 7.1 in the main room, you will need 4 more amplifier channels to drive Z2 & 3 from the 3313's pre outs. If you only want 5.1 in the main room, you will need 2 more amplifier channels to drive Z3 (or Z2).

Download the users manual here (see page 103)

Hope this helps.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over.....
Old 05-28-2013, 03:36 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1962 Post(s)
Liked: 1745
Do you want an independent source to each of Zones 2 and 3 or can the same source go to both zones?

Depending on the Zone speakers in use, there's likely no valid reason for the external amps being suggested by the installer. A suitable Zone amp would be the following, 2 ea if you want independent source to each zone.

http://www.amazon.com/AudioSource-AMP-100-Stereo-Power-Amplifier/dp/B00026BQJ6

Also review the following info on Zone 2 ...

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465528/the-official-2013-denon-e-series-x-series-avr-model-owners-thread-faq/0_100#user_M

Also note there is more information in the dedicated thread for Denon AVR-XX13 owners linked at "2012 Denon AVR-XX13 Models" in my sig below.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Old 05-28-2013, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, guess I better clarify a bit. i only use 5 + woofer for surround (is that 5.1?). Use the extra 2 for music to remote speakers (or do music on surround and one pair of remotes.
I used to use a speaker switch on prior amp, but ended up with power and overheating.

So if I just use one remote speaker pair or two pairs at a time, can i put 2 back channels on zone 2 to one pair, zone 3 to the other and just use one zone at a time?

one pair will be bigger outdoor speakers and may want a booster amp.

do i need 2 supplemental amps, or just one for the outdoor/louder speakers or none?

confusing you?

sorry i'm such a rookie.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:06 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1962 Post(s)
Liked: 1745
With a 5.1 setup in the main zone, you still have 2 internal AVR amps available for either Zone 2 or Zone 3 speakers. You would need to add an external amp for the other Zone (or if you still have your old receiver use that to power them). If you are okay with the same source to both Zone 2 and 3 speakers, then you could likely connect them in parallel to the Zone 2 speaker posts on the AVR or connect to an impedance matching speaker selector first and then connect the speaker selector to the Zone 2 speaker posts.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 

Tags
Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver