Audyssey setup for rear speakers in front of the room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-29-2013, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought the 2313CI and an Energy RC 5.1 surround sound system.

For unknown reasons, the wife is objecting to having the rear speakers sit behind the couch because she doesn't want wires running across the floor.

If I were to place the "rear" speakers a few feet above the fronts, would the Audyssey setup give me the ability to use these speakers as rears? More importantly, does anyone have any suggestions of using the rear speakers a few feet above the fronts and recreate the surround sound effect? The room is a 10x20 square.

Much appreciated.

DK

Denon AVR-2313CI

Energy RC-Micro 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers
Samsung 50" Series-5 Plasma
Samsung BD-P2500

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-29-2013, 04:45 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1044 Post(s)
Liked: 1510
With a 5.1 setup, the surround speakers actually go to the "side" of the main listening position rather than to the rear as would be the case with a 7.1 setup, although likely still an issue with wires on the floor. Placing the "side" speakers up front would mess up the surround effect, rather you may just want to use a 3.1 setup in the main zone and use the 2 left over speakers as Zone 2 in another room (eg. bedroom or kitchen).

Click on the "2012 Denon AVR-XX13 Models" thread linked in my sig reviewing posts #3-6 for more helpful information on your new 2313CI.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 4 Old 05-29-2013, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My lovely wife has the same objection so I've been looking at options. Unfortunately my living room is fully open to the dining room so there is no way to mount the "back left" speaker so I decided to order some stands. I intend to position them where they belong, on the stands, and run the Audyssey setup and mark the floor somehow so I know exactly where they go. Then I'll probably just put them against the front wall when I'm not watching a movie and move the, to where they belong when I am. I don't think she will object to the wires running around temporarily.
post #4 of 4 Old 05-29-2013, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Do you have access to the room via an attic or crawl space? I would just get CL2 or CL3 speaker wire, fish the wire up/down, and use wall plates at the surround speaker locations. I have an 11 speaker setup and the only speakers with visible wires are the Left, Center, and Right because of wire thickness and distance from those speakers to my gear.

You'll mess the entire sound-field up if you calibrate Audyssey with speakers in temporary positions and then move them around without re-running Audyssey.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page