The "Official" Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A1030, RX-A2030, RX-A3030 and CX-A5000/MX-A5000 Thread - Page 101 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3001 of 3146 Old 08-20-2014, 10:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 24
The real bummer is for folks that already have a CX/MX-A5000 and want Dolby Atmos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullysnet View Post
looking at the thread I guess I am in the wrong one, I swore I was in the right one. thanks for the reply

forget it, I am in the right thread for CX-A5000 and MX-A5000, the downer now is no Atmos and no firmware update for it either. Plus not having the XLR like you said. I think I am going to need to hold off till new stuff comes out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3002 of 3146 Old 08-20-2014, 12:19 PM
C44

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just got my SVS ultra towers to go along with my PB13 ultra sub through my RX-A3030. Running YPAO, it set my towers as large as well as my centre, the four surrounds were set small. My question is, should I set the towers as small to fully get the optimal bass from the PB13?
post #3003 of 3146 Old 08-20-2014, 12:22 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDave View Post
The real bummer is for folks that already have a CX/MX-A5000 and want Dolby Atmos!
Yeah really. Sure seems like it has DSP power to do it as firmware upgrade.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- direct pod link

- main website

post #3004 of 3146 Old 08-20-2014, 12:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
Yeah really. Sure seems like it has DSP power to do it as firmware upgrade.
Some say it does and some say it doesnt. That would be a mighty big upgrade for free. Cant see it happening. Yamaha will want you to buy a different AVR.
post #3005 of 3146 Old 08-20-2014, 12:45 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
Some say it does and some say it doesnt. That would be a mighty big upgrade for free. Cant see it happening. Yamaha will want you to buy a different AVR.
It nearly every other case, I'd agree with you. But this is their still current flagship pre/pro. Yamaha has kept nice incentives to flagship owners over the years with upgrades (when possible).

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #3006 of 3146 Old 08-20-2014, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by C44 View Post
I just got my SVS ultra towers to go along with my PB13 ultra sub through my RX-A3030. Running YPAO, it set my towers as large as well as my centre, the four surrounds were set small. My question is, should I set the towers as small to fully get the optimal bass from the PB13?
Yes.

Build Thread:
post #3007 of 3146 Old 08-20-2014, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hi guys,
I just bought a rxa3030 and I'm using the preamp outputs to connect to a mcintosh 5 channel amplifier. I'm trying to find information all over to see whether I will hear any sort of improvement in sound if I go to the cxa5000? Besides the xlr, will I hear much difference in sound ? THE Price I Got rxa3030 was spectacular but recently I've located a local person selling a cxa5000 for a good price but it's still about 800 dollars more than what I paid for this unit .
I'd love to know your opinion. .
post #3008 of 3146 Old 08-21-2014, 09:40 AM
C44

Did a bit of experimenting yesterday with the SVS Ultra towers and the PB13 Ultra sub. We watched a few scenes from Gravity and Contact and switched back and forth between large and small. The system sounds more immersive with the towers set to large. If I keep it set at large, can I still control the cross over from the towers to the sub? If so, what's the optimal range?
post #3009 of 3146 Old 08-21-2014, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Unless your towers can go as deep in frequency with the same or better output as your sub, you're better off manually changing the towers to small & allowing the sub to handle all LFE.
post #3010 of 3146 Old 08-21-2014, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Did a bit of experimenting yesterday with the SVS Ultra towers and the PB13 Ultra sub. We watched a few scenes from Gravity and Contact and switched back and forth between large and small. The system sounds more immersive with the towers set to large. If I keep it set at large, can I still control the cross over from the towers to the sub? If so, what's the optimal range?
OK. You can forget my previous post.

I'm pretty sure that for any speakers kept as large all LFE for that channel will go to the speakers, not the sub. So in essence, no crossover exists.
post #3011 of 3146 Old 08-21-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No, if the towers are set to large, ALL the bass in the L & R channel is going to the tower.

But at the end of the day, you paid for the system and should set it up the way you like it! It may be that the bass response at your seated position is not ideal, so moving your sub could help. Or it may be that you just like more bass, and that's okay, play your speakers large.

Unless there was an error with YPAO or poor placement of your sub in relation to your chair, running the mains "small", and setting the crossover on the sub itself to (bypass), should yield the most accurate response. But you'll note I use the word "accurate" and not "immersive".

How big is your room? Open to what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcrone View Post
Unless your towers can go as deep in frequency with the same or better output as your sub, you're better off manually changing the towers to small & allowing the sub to handle all LFE.
Agreed. All LFE and the re-directed bass.

And: This can also help improve overall output, since the receiver power is not used reproducting low bass tones, which are shuttled off to the sub.

Build Thread:
post #3012 of 3146 Old 08-21-2014, 10:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcrone View Post
OK. You can forget my previous post.

I'm pretty sure that for any speakers kept as large all LFE for that channel will go to the speakers, not the sub. So in essence, no crossover exists.
This isnt exactly true. With speakers set to Large the LFE channel will still go to the sub and the crossover will still be in effect. The crossover will still keep anything above it from going to the sub. So with xover at 80Hz the speakers will get a full signal and the sub will get everything 80 and below. This is assuming you have "Extra Bass" On.
Just a note. Most music is 2.0 and doesnt contain an LFE channel.

Last edited by Bond 007; 08-21-2014 at 10:28 AM.
post #3013 of 3146 Old 08-21-2014, 10:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Make sure you have "Extra Bass" On when youre switching between large and small. Other wise youre just turning the sub on and off.
Youve got some very nice speakers and sub. I would still set the fronts to small when watching LFE content. With 2.0 music you may find you like them set to large better. Experiment and use what you like best.
post #3014 of 3146 Old 08-21-2014, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Quote:
Make sure you have "Extra Bass" On when youre switching between large and small. Other wise youre just turning the sub on and off.
Youve got some very nice speakers and sub. I would still set the fronts to small when watching LFE content. With 2.0 music you may find you like them set to large better. Experiment and use what you like best.
With my system my front and surround speakers are Definitive Technology BP8080STs with a low frequency response to 18Hz. My subs are two Definitive Technology Trinity Signatures with a low frequency response to 10Hz. My preferred setting has been to have the BP8080STs at large and enable the "Extra Bass" setting (I've been assuming that this causes the low frequencies to be routed to both the main speakers and the subs, is that so?).

My center speaker is a CS-8080HD which has a built-in powered subwoofer (resp to 20 Hz) that my CX-A5000 identified as large also. However with it, I found I needed to set it to small (and crossover it over at 40Hz) to keep from overdriving its smallish woofer (5"x10") during some movie passages.

Other than that, I never have changed these settings. I like what I hear, and that's what matters most!
post #3015 of 3146 Old 08-21-2014, 12:34 PM
C44

Thanks for the replies/advice folks. My viewing room is large and my sub will need to be moved around to try and find a sweeter spot. We don't have the luxury of resetting our furniture to accommodate the ideal sub/speaker set up, so a compromise will have to be made.

The system sounds great as is, and based on our neighbours comments about being able to 'feel' the pod launch scene in Contact from their home (30' of greenspace between our homes), I doubt very much that I have any real issues that cannot be dealt with.... Does anyone else here feel slightly uneasy about disrupting their neighbours?!?
post #3016 of 3146 Old 08-21-2014, 12:46 PM
C44

Quote:
This isnt exactly true. With speakers set to Large the LFE channel will still go to the sub and the crossover will still be in effect. The crossover will still keep anything above it from going to the sub. So with xover at 80Hz the speakers will get a full signal and the sub will get everything 80 and below. This is assuming you have "Extra Bass" On.
Just a note. Most music is 2.0 and doesnt contain an LFE channel.
This is what I was hoping for, I'll play around a bit more tonight and see how the cross over settings affect the towers/sub.

Like it's been stated, the placement of the sub will be the key in optimizing the LFE output. I'll have to break my back tonight shuffling this monster around.
post #3017 of 3146 Old 08-21-2014, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
This is what I was hoping for, I'll play around a bit more tonight and see how the cross over settings affect the towers/sub.

Like it's been stated, the placement of the sub will be the key in optimizing the LFE output. I'll have to break my back tonight shuffling this monster around.
You only need to shuffle twice:

Once, to put it in your seat.

Second time, to put it where the Subwoofer Crawl gave you the best sound.

Search for Subwoofer Crawl or just Sub Crawl if this is a new concept. It's not a perfect system but it's MUCH BETTER than moving the sub around to multiple spots!

Build Thread:
post #3018 of 3146 Old 08-21-2014, 09:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by erwinfrombelgium View Post
Sorry for not going through all the earlier posts, but can someone tell if there will be a CX-A5000 successor with Atmos sooner rather than later? If so, will it sport more than 11 channels?

Thanks!
I posted this already some weeks ago. I called the German Yamha Support line with the same question and the guy I had on the phone told me that officially the statement is:"No comment at this moment".
He told me inofficislly that I should go to this years IFA as my question will be answered there!
I assume that Yamaha will announce something at the time of the IFA as CEDIA is also moreor less in parallel.
As I am planning to go to the IFA I will keep you updated.
post #3019 of 3146 Old 08-22-2014, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm going to keep my money and wait till the new product is released with Atmos. I want to do it right one time since this is really only my third stereo system and 2nd Home Theater setup.

thanks for all the replies/updates
nathan_h likes this.
post #3020 of 3146 Old 08-22-2014, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I didn't find any information on this in the manual (and also skimmed through this thread) so I thought I'd post the question here. Does anyone know if the RX-A1030 can play DTS-HD MA when the Cinema DSP is engaged? I have an RX-A1010, and this unit defaults to DTS when the DSP is used, I'm guessing because it doesn't have enough processing power. I'm considering an upgrade to a discounted 1030, but only if doesn't have this limitation.

Defeat of Deduct must go over Defense before Detail does.
post #3021 of 3146 Old 08-22-2014, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Folks-

Hung around here in stealth mode reading once in a while. Always been intrigued with Yamaha- my first A-700 Amp bought in 1985, and still runs perfect with no service. Based on its service life I bought an RX-V100 back in 2001- didn't have quite the life with it- but never the less- its time for a new one.

I have a Sony Blu-Ray Player, and a Denon DV-758 SACD/DVD-A player, a Technics 1210-5MG- hooked up to a cheap Panasonic 32" LCD with Comcrap Digital adapter.

I've just found out by accident that the Denon will do DVD-A over HDMI, and I knew the Sony would do SACD Multi-Channel over HDMI. I am not really a video person- but a concert now and then works!!!

I was ready to pick up a used Pioneer Elite SC-61 for $500, but my heart was set on another Yamaha- either an RX-A1020 or an RX-A1030, but finding one was tough- at least at what I could afford. With the Pioneer- I would need a Phono Pre-Amp- but with Yammie, I was good. Both were networkable.

Walked in to Best Buy Salem NH- found an RX-A1030, but didn't even realize they had it marked down to $879. I told them I had another price of $750($820 w/ tax and shipping) for it from a Yamaha dealer(I really did!) just a few states away. I ended up getting the 1030 for $800- sealed in box.

Guess I got some reading to do and figure out how to hook this baby up. HDMI is a whole brave new world to me!

Chris
post #3022 of 3146 Old 08-22-2014, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Cx a5000 overheated

Has anybody ever had their cx a5000 overheat? Mine stopped working tonight. I thought this thing didn't get hot? My integra never had this issue
post #3023 of 3146 Old 08-22-2014, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
It nearly every other case, I'd agree with you. But this is their still current flagship pre/pro. Yamaha has kept nice incentives to flagship owners over the years with upgrades (when possible).
Perhaps, though a big issue would be licensing fees to do Atmos. It doesn't matter if it has super fast DSP or anything - the real issue is the licensing costs of Atmos. It would be nice if Yamaha simply added it and ate the fees as a gift to owners, but it really depends how much Dolby charges for it.

Maybe if it's not too much Yamaha does it as a customer service thing, but I see it as a paid firmware upgrade - $10 or whatever it costs for Atmos to add it in.
post #3024 of 3146 Old 08-23-2014, 03:04 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Hello,

Recently i updated my RX-A 3030 to the latest firmware 1.41.
From that moment, i have a problem with the volume level from my receiver,decreasing the level by itself,without to touch the volume master, or something else.
There is anybody else with this kind of problem?before the update i didn't had this issue with my RX-A 3030.
I did an general reset after the update,but it didn't resolved my problem.
I spoke with my dealer about that and he said to send my receiver to the service...of course i don't want to take this route and stay without my receiver for 2-3 weeks.
There is a chance that Yamaha Will provide a new update for RX-A 3030 to resolve this issue?

Thanks
post #3025 of 3146 Old 08-23-2014, 05:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NextLevel217 View Post
Has anybody ever had their cx a5000 overheat? Mine stopped working tonight. I thought this thing didn't get hot? My integra never had this issue
Mine's never overheated, even after several days of constant operation. It just gets warm to the touch on top. It sits on a shelf with three sides open and about 6 inches above it, so ventilation is good.

Is yours getting hot to the touch? Anything on top of it. (Hmm, I did have my DVDO on top of mine for quite some while, still w/o heat problems.)
post #3026 of 3146 Old 08-23-2014, 05:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus74 View Post
Hello,

Recently i updated my RX-A 3030 to the latest firmware 1.41.
From that moment, i have a problem with the volume level from my receiver,decreasing the level by itself,without to touch the volume master, or something else.
There is anybody else with this kind of problem?before the update i didn't had this issue with my RX-A 3030.
I did an general reset after the update,but it didn't resolved my problem.
I spoke with my dealer about that and he said to send my receiver to the service...of course i don't want to take this route and stay without my receiver for 2-3 weeks.
There is a chance that Yamaha Will provide a new update for RX-A 3030 to resolve this issue?

Thanks
I've not seen this problem on any of my RX-Ax030 receivers and they are all at the latest firmware level.

How long does it take for the volume to drop, and how far? Is it continuous or not, i.e., does it continue to go down or does it drop down just once?
post #3027 of 3146 Old 08-23-2014, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillcox View Post
I've not seen this problem on any of my RX-Ax030 receivers and they are all at the latest firmware level.

How long does it take for the volume to drop, and how far? Is it continuous or not, i.e., does it continue to go down or does it drop down just once?
Hello,

It happens only once decreasing by 0.5 form -20 to -20.5,or -18 to -18.5.
post #3028 of 3146 Old 08-23-2014, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 3
It is in a cabinet, with nothing on top of. It wouldn't lock onto a signal from any source. It's working fine now. Not sure what to do! I'll call my dealer this morning and see what he says
post #3029 of 3146 Old 08-23-2014, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Changing up to 3030

Greetings all,
I'm new to the forum. I appreciate some help.

I think I want to upgrade my RX-A2700 receiver. I'm just about to pop for a new RX-A3030. A big concern is that I want my new receiver to do what I need done.

Is there anything I'll miss about the 2700 after I replace it with the 3030?

Our current setup uses the 2700 as the hub of the tv/sound system. We've got a Pioneer plasma, Directv box, DVD player (Sony, nothing special), Airport Express to stream ITunes. We have a 5.1 speaker setup. B&W CM10 L&R, CMC center, older Polk 12" sub, 8" in-ceiling surrounds. Our focus is music.

I'd like to be able to maximize the potential our music play. Although, proper function of the tv/cable-sat is important too.

Am I correct in thinking that moving to a 3030 is a good/best choice? It's a lot of money.

Thanks
B
post #3030 of 3146 Old 08-23-2014, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What are you looking to gain going from the RX-A2700 to the 3030? Are you looking for specific features, an expanded setup? It looks like the RX-A2700 is a very complete receiver. If you have it setup just the way you like it, I don't see much of a reason for the upgrade. It seems like it will be a fairly small incremental jump to me, but I might be missing something.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Aventage Rxa 1030 Receiver , Yamaha Rxa2030bl Aventage Home Theater Receiver , Yamaha Rxa3030bl Aventage Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread - Rxa2030bl by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page