The "Official" Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A1030, RX-A2030, RX-A3030 and CX-A5000/MX-A5000 Thread - Page 102 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3031 of 3041 Old 08-23-2014, 11:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

Timbre Matching, even as a THX Certified Professional, I find it to be totally unnecessary as the matching is already done by YPAO EQ.
Sorry quoting here quite an old post but this caught my eye. How good is the timbre matching of YPAO? I have a Jamo D600 THX sytem as the 7.2 bed and now thinking of installing 4 KEF CI200RR THX in-ceiling speakers for the upcoming Atmos. I am just worried as the KEF's will be quite "prominent" on how far that missing timbre matching could be a problem so maybe to use smaller KEF's for the ceiling?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3032 of 3041 Old 08-24-2014, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Timbre Matching on any auto-cal is better than THX as the auto-cal at least try to EQ the speakers to the front and/or target curve whereas THX is a preset re-eq which I find to be hardly effective.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #3033 of 3041 Old 08-24-2014, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus74 View Post
Hello,

It happens only once decreasing by 0.5 form -20 to -20.5,or -18 to -18.5.
Hmm, a single change of 0.5 wouldn't always be noticed by me as I'm often changing the volume levels on my AVRs w/o paying a great deal of attention to the exact numeric values. On my CX-A5000 that isn't the case though, and I've not noticed anything like that with it.

Are you certain that it isn't a remote control issue rather than with the AVR itself?
post #3034 of 3041 Old 08-24-2014, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillcox View Post
Hmm, a single change of 0.5 wouldn't always be noticed by me as I'm often changing the volume levels on my AVRs w/o paying a great deal of attention to the exact numeric values. On my CX-A5000 that isn't the case though, and I've not noticed anything like that with it.

Are you certain that it isn't a remote control issue rather than with the AVR itself?
Hi,

It's visible because it's showing on my screen when i watching movies.

It is happening every time in the first 10-15 min into the movie.

When i had the previous firmware (from the factory),i didn't had this problem.
post #3035 of 3041 Old 08-25-2014, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus74 View Post
Hi,

It's visible because it's showing on my screen when i watching movies.

It is happening every time in the first 10-15 min into the movie.

When i had the previous firmware (from the factory),i didn't had this problem.
Strange, I've never had this happen on any of my units and I've not seen any mention of it by other folks here either.
post #3036 of 3041 Old 08-25-2014, 08:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillcox View Post
Strange, I've never had this happen on any of my units and I've not seen any mention of it by other folks here either.
+1
post #3037 of 3041 Old 08-26-2014, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm curios if anyone has gone from a 1010 to a 1030, and what your thoughts might be on it? I can get a excellent deal on an open box 1030 right now but I'm wondering if overall it'd be worth it, as on the other hand I'm considering getting a PS4 instead as I want the latest Madden NFL with next-gen graphics . Right now my budget is one or the other, and while I can't mention pricing, I will say that the PS4 will come out to more than the 1030 deal after adding two more controllers and Madden .

The main reasons I'd care to upgrade to the 1030 are for the Dialog Level (NOT Dialog Lift) feature which was not introduced until the xx20 line (I love this feature on my 3020), and also to get the full bandwidth DTS-HD MA when using Cinema DSP as the 1010 only outputs DTS when decoding DTS-HD MA while a DSP is active. While I realize I can just set the player to LPCM to get the full bandwidth from a DTS-HD MA track, my awesome and relatively expensive Oppo blu-ray player snaps, krackles, and pops when set to LPCM mode (and has been a frustrating ordeal to resolve, and Oppo has been involved). Also, for some reason my 1010 stopped streaming music from my NAS after I upgraded the firmware and I haven't been able to figure out what the problem is (and yet another frustrating problem).

So anyway, other than the features I'm looking for, can anyone comment if they think this is a worthwhile upgrade? Sound quality for one would be a huge factor for me as I love the sound of the 1010 and the 1030 has a different DAC. Otherwise, again I'm considering a PS4 instead, but that can wait given the deal I can get on the 1030.

Defeat of Deduct must go over Defense before Detail does.

Last edited by red_5ive; 08-26-2014 at 05:12 PM.
post #3038 of 3041 Old 08-27-2014, 01:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcollns View Post
What are you looking to gain going from the RX-A2700 to the 3030? Are you looking for specific features, an expanded setup? It looks like the RX-A2700 is a very complete receiver. If you have it setup just the way you like it, I don't see much of a reason for the upgrade. It seems like it will be a fairly small incremental jump to me, but I might be missing something.
I've decided to hold off on the 3030.
You are correct sir. The 3030 doesn't bring enough to the table to justify a change up at this point. The main thing i/we like about the 2700 is that is is relatively simple while being flexible too, to a point.

Thanks
B
post #3039 of 3041 Old 08-27-2014, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_5ive View Post
I'm curios if anyone has gone from a 1010 to a 1030, and what your thoughts might be on it? I can get a excellent deal on an open box 1030 right now but I'm wondering if overall it'd be worth it, as on the other hand I'm considering getting a PS4 instead as I want the latest Madden NFL with next-gen graphics . Right now my budget is one or the other, and while I can't mention pricing, I will say that the PS4 will come out to more than the 1030 deal after adding two more controllers and Madden .

The main reasons I'd care to upgrade to the 1030 are for the Dialog Level (NOT Dialog Lift) feature which was not introduced until the xx20 line (I love this feature on my 3020), and also to get the full bandwidth DTS-HD MA when using Cinema DSP as the 1010 only outputs DTS when decoding DTS-HD MA while a DSP is active. While I realize I can just set the player to LPCM to get the full bandwidth from a DTS-HD MA track, my awesome and relatively expensive Oppo blu-ray player snaps, krackles, and pops when set to LPCM mode (and has been a frustrating ordeal to resolve, and Oppo has been involved). Also, for some reason my 1010 stopped streaming music from my NAS after I upgraded the firmware and I haven't been able to figure out what the problem is (and yet another frustrating problem).

So anyway, other than the features I'm looking for, can anyone comment if they think this is a worthwhile upgrade? Sound quality for one would be a huge factor for me as I love the sound of the 1010 and the 1030 has a different DAC. Otherwise, again I'm considering a PS4 instead, but that can wait given the deal I can get on the 1030.
That DTS-MA thing would be a deal breaker for me. Might be cheaper to get the OPPO repaired than to upgrade receivers.

Of course, the dialog level, Cinema DSP, and different DACs are not of interest to me, so my priorities are different from yours.
post #3040 of 3041 Old 08-27-2014, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
That DTS-MA thing would be a deal breaker for me. Might be cheaper to get the OPPO repaired than to upgrade receivers.

Of course, the dialog level, Cinema DSP, and different DACs are not of interest to me, so my priorities are different from yours.
Thanks for the input. Heh, yeah priorities indeed differ as it isn't worth it to me to get the Oppo fixed as I also have a PS3 Slim in the mix that will bitstream. I should also note, this is a secondary setup. Otherwise, if it were my main room I might reconsider getting the Oppo fixed. The 1030 makes more sense to me given the deal, in which case I ended up grabbing it last night. As usual, I over-think things as I'm very happy with the purchase.
nathan_h likes this.

Defeat of Deduct must go over Defense before Detail does.
post #3041 of 3041 Old Yesterday, 01:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I have a Yamaha RX-A3030. I'm very happy with it. I'm wanting to connect it up to my PC which has a dedicated soundcard; an Asus Xonar D2X. I've tried connecting it up to the receiver using 3.5mm to RCA cables and everything works fine using multi-channel imput.

My question is really that the vast majority of the time I use the PC I won't want to use the receiver for sound, I mostly want to use a set of Logitech speakers on it. However this will mean leaving the RCA plugs in the Yamaha but unplugged from the soundcard and basically wrapped in bubble wrap on the floor near the PC till I want to use them.

Is this likely to cause any issue? I'm not sure if any power is put through the cables when multi-channel is not selected, ie when I'm listening to a blu-ray / NAS over HDMI / Network and if this could cause any kind of unwanted noise / feedback...etc.

Thanks for any advice.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Aventage Rxa 1030 Receiver , Yamaha Rxa2030bl Aventage Home Theater Receiver , Yamaha Rxa3030bl Aventage Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread - Rxa2030bl by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page