The "Official" Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A1030, RX-A2030, RX-A3030 and CX-A5000/MX-A5000 Thread - Page 102 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3031 of 3125 Old 08-23-2014, 11:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

Timbre Matching, even as a THX Certified Professional, I find it to be totally unnecessary as the matching is already done by YPAO EQ.
Sorry quoting here quite an old post but this caught my eye. How good is the timbre matching of YPAO? I have a Jamo D600 THX sytem as the 7.2 bed and now thinking of installing 4 KEF CI200RR THX in-ceiling speakers for the upcoming Atmos. I am just worried as the KEF's will be quite "prominent" on how far that missing timbre matching could be a problem so maybe to use smaller KEF's for the ceiling?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3032 of 3125 Old 08-24-2014, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Timbre Matching on any auto-cal is better than THX as the auto-cal at least try to EQ the speakers to the front and/or target curve whereas THX is a preset re-eq which I find to be hardly effective.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3033 of 3125 Old 08-24-2014, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus74 View Post
Hello,

It happens only once decreasing by 0.5 form -20 to -20.5,or -18 to -18.5.
Hmm, a single change of 0.5 wouldn't always be noticed by me as I'm often changing the volume levels on my AVRs w/o paying a great deal of attention to the exact numeric values. On my CX-A5000 that isn't the case though, and I've not noticed anything like that with it.

Are you certain that it isn't a remote control issue rather than with the AVR itself?
post #3034 of 3125 Old 08-24-2014, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillcox View Post
Hmm, a single change of 0.5 wouldn't always be noticed by me as I'm often changing the volume levels on my AVRs w/o paying a great deal of attention to the exact numeric values. On my CX-A5000 that isn't the case though, and I've not noticed anything like that with it.

Are you certain that it isn't a remote control issue rather than with the AVR itself?
Hi,

It's visible because it's showing on my screen when i watching movies.

It is happening every time in the first 10-15 min into the movie.

When i had the previous firmware (from the factory),i didn't had this problem.
post #3035 of 3125 Old 08-25-2014, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus74 View Post
Hi,

It's visible because it's showing on my screen when i watching movies.

It is happening every time in the first 10-15 min into the movie.

When i had the previous firmware (from the factory),i didn't had this problem.
Strange, I've never had this happen on any of my units and I've not seen any mention of it by other folks here either.
post #3036 of 3125 Old 08-25-2014, 08:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillcox View Post
Strange, I've never had this happen on any of my units and I've not seen any mention of it by other folks here either.
+1
post #3037 of 3125 Old 08-26-2014, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm curios if anyone has gone from a 1010 to a 1030, and what your thoughts might be on it? I can get a excellent deal on an open box 1030 right now but I'm wondering if overall it'd be worth it, as on the other hand I'm considering getting a PS4 instead as I want the latest Madden NFL with next-gen graphics . Right now my budget is one or the other, and while I can't mention pricing, I will say that the PS4 will come out to more than the 1030 deal after adding two more controllers and Madden .

The main reasons I'd care to upgrade to the 1030 are for the Dialog Level (NOT Dialog Lift) feature which was not introduced until the xx20 line (I love this feature on my 3020), and also to get the full bandwidth DTS-HD MA when using Cinema DSP as the 1010 only outputs DTS when decoding DTS-HD MA while a DSP is active. While I realize I can just set the player to LPCM to get the full bandwidth from a DTS-HD MA track, my awesome and relatively expensive Oppo blu-ray player snaps, krackles, and pops when set to LPCM mode (and has been a frustrating ordeal to resolve, and Oppo has been involved). Also, for some reason my 1010 stopped streaming music from my NAS after I upgraded the firmware and I haven't been able to figure out what the problem is (and yet another frustrating problem).

So anyway, other than the features I'm looking for, can anyone comment if they think this is a worthwhile upgrade? Sound quality for one would be a huge factor for me as I love the sound of the 1010 and the 1030 has a different DAC. Otherwise, again I'm considering a PS4 instead, but that can wait given the deal I can get on the 1030.

Defeat of Deduct must go over Defense before Detail does.

Last edited by red_5ive; 08-26-2014 at 05:12 PM.
post #3038 of 3125 Old 08-27-2014, 01:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcollns View Post
What are you looking to gain going from the RX-A2700 to the 3030? Are you looking for specific features, an expanded setup? It looks like the RX-A2700 is a very complete receiver. If you have it setup just the way you like it, I don't see much of a reason for the upgrade. It seems like it will be a fairly small incremental jump to me, but I might be missing something.
I've decided to hold off on the 3030.
You are correct sir. The 3030 doesn't bring enough to the table to justify a change up at this point. The main thing i/we like about the 2700 is that is is relatively simple while being flexible too, to a point.

Thanks
B
post #3039 of 3125 Old 08-27-2014, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_5ive View Post
I'm curios if anyone has gone from a 1010 to a 1030, and what your thoughts might be on it? I can get a excellent deal on an open box 1030 right now but I'm wondering if overall it'd be worth it, as on the other hand I'm considering getting a PS4 instead as I want the latest Madden NFL with next-gen graphics . Right now my budget is one or the other, and while I can't mention pricing, I will say that the PS4 will come out to more than the 1030 deal after adding two more controllers and Madden .

The main reasons I'd care to upgrade to the 1030 are for the Dialog Level (NOT Dialog Lift) feature which was not introduced until the xx20 line (I love this feature on my 3020), and also to get the full bandwidth DTS-HD MA when using Cinema DSP as the 1010 only outputs DTS when decoding DTS-HD MA while a DSP is active. While I realize I can just set the player to LPCM to get the full bandwidth from a DTS-HD MA track, my awesome and relatively expensive Oppo blu-ray player snaps, krackles, and pops when set to LPCM mode (and has been a frustrating ordeal to resolve, and Oppo has been involved). Also, for some reason my 1010 stopped streaming music from my NAS after I upgraded the firmware and I haven't been able to figure out what the problem is (and yet another frustrating problem).

So anyway, other than the features I'm looking for, can anyone comment if they think this is a worthwhile upgrade? Sound quality for one would be a huge factor for me as I love the sound of the 1010 and the 1030 has a different DAC. Otherwise, again I'm considering a PS4 instead, but that can wait given the deal I can get on the 1030.
That DTS-MA thing would be a deal breaker for me. Might be cheaper to get the OPPO repaired than to upgrade receivers.

Of course, the dialog level, Cinema DSP, and different DACs are not of interest to me, so my priorities are different from yours.

Build Thread:
post #3040 of 3125 Old 08-27-2014, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
That DTS-MA thing would be a deal breaker for me. Might be cheaper to get the OPPO repaired than to upgrade receivers.

Of course, the dialog level, Cinema DSP, and different DACs are not of interest to me, so my priorities are different from yours.
Thanks for the input. Heh, yeah priorities indeed differ as it isn't worth it to me to get the Oppo fixed as I also have a PS3 Slim in the mix that will bitstream. I should also note, this is a secondary setup. Otherwise, if it were my main room I might reconsider getting the Oppo fixed. The 1030 makes more sense to me given the deal, in which case I ended up grabbing it last night. As usual, I over-think things as I'm very happy with the purchase.
nathan_h likes this.

Defeat of Deduct must go over Defense before Detail does.
post #3041 of 3125 Old 08-29-2014, 01:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I have a Yamaha RX-A3030. I'm very happy with it. I'm wanting to connect it up to my PC which has a dedicated soundcard; an Asus Xonar D2X. I've tried connecting it up to the receiver using 3.5mm to RCA cables and everything works fine using multi-channel imput.

My question is really that the vast majority of the time I use the PC I won't want to use the receiver for sound, I mostly want to use a set of Logitech speakers on it. However this will mean leaving the RCA plugs in the Yamaha but unplugged from the soundcard and basically wrapped in bubble wrap on the floor near the PC till I want to use them.

Is this likely to cause any issue? I'm not sure if any power is put through the cables when multi-channel is not selected, ie when I'm listening to a blu-ray / NAS over HDMI / Network and if this could cause any kind of unwanted noise / feedback...etc.

Thanks for any advice.
post #3042 of 3125 Old 09-03-2014, 09:55 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHarvey12 View Post
Hi,

I have a Yamaha RX-A3030. I'm very happy with it. I'm wanting to connect it up to my PC which has a dedicated soundcard; an Asus Xonar D2X. I've tried connecting it up to the receiver using 3.5mm to RCA cables and everything works fine using multi-channel imput.

My question is really that the vast majority of the time I use the PC I won't want to use the receiver for sound, I mostly want to use a set of Logitech speakers on it. However this will mean leaving the RCA plugs in the Yamaha but unplugged from the soundcard and basically wrapped in bubble wrap on the floor near the PC till I want to use them.

Is this likely to cause any issue? I'm not sure if any power is put through the cables when multi-channel is not selected, ie when I'm listening to a blu-ray / NAS over HDMI / Network and if this could cause any kind of unwanted noise / feedback...etc.

Thanks for any advice.
I'm surprised you don't use the digital audio output to the stereo, and the analog outputs for your Logitech speakers.

That being said, the cables should not add any noise into your receiver, but I don't have any empiricle evidence for that. I just know that my cheap Onkyo had lots of issues with inputs crossing over or hum and static being created, and my RX-A2000 is dead silent with all the same inputs so it seems Yamaha did a great job keeping all of the circuits isolated.
post #3043 of 3125 Old 09-03-2014, 08:29 PM

Liked: 23
Any word if Yamaha is going to offer an upgrade for the CX-A5000BL to support Dolby Atmos seeing how the newly designed flagship? Seeing it already supports 11.2 which would be nice to adjust the height speaker locations to overhead to support the new format.
post #3044 of 3125 Old 09-03-2014, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Can't be done, Atmos require its own chip and all of those "firmware upgrade to Atmos" are in fact only "firmware unlock" to activate the Atmos functions.

post #3045 of 3125 Old 09-03-2014, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Can't be done, Atmos require its own chip and all of those "firmware upgrade to Atmos" are in fact only "firmware unlock" to activate the Atmos functions.
So are you confirming that Yamaha will not provide a upgrade in which we can send in our processor for retrofit?
post #3046 of 3125 Old 09-03-2014, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Affirmative.

post #3047 of 3125 Old 09-03-2014, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Affirmative.
That is terrible that I purchased the top of the line units ~6 months ago and they are just going forget about all the consumers that supported them with their new separates line and the new format. Talk about customer support especially when we all know that Dolby Atmos format was slated to happen prior to Yamaha introducing the separates! Might need to make a change in product line that I support.
post #3048 of 3125 Old 09-03-2014, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDave View Post
That is terrible that I purchased the top of the line units ~6 months ago and they are just going forget about all the consumers that supported them with their new separates line and the new format. Talk about customer support especially when we all know that Dolby Atmos format was slated to happen prior to Yamaha introducing the separates! Might need to make a change in product line that I support.
As I wrote in earlier oost Yamaha promised to reveal something during the IFA in Berlin on the matter of the CX 5000 and Atmos, i will meet with them on Saturday and Keep you updatedß!
Surfdrifter and DoDaLeCa like this.
post #3049 of 3125 Old 09-03-2014, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDave View Post
PS
That is, what I already wrote in the Atmos forum, why I am thinking not to go with a "consumer" unit this time but to invest some more money to go eg with Stormaudio! The next thing lurking around the corner are HDMI 2.0/HDCP2.2 and DTS UHD not to forget Auro! So even if you sell your current CX5000 now teeth grinding you can have a deja-vu next year at about the same time!
post #3050 of 3125 Old 09-04-2014, 12:03 AM

Unhappy

Happy with my A5000 but would be even happier if there was an Atmos upgrade.

However I have just spent about half an hour trying to figure out how to change the description of a "scene" on the front panel.Followed the manual.
Brought up the keyboard but whether I typed in each letter and then "enter" or the complete word and then "enter " nothing ever changed.
Obviously there is a something that I am missing here, anyone been successful and if so, what's the magic formula?
post #3051 of 3125 Old 09-04-2014, 01:35 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Have you tried web interface for configuring scene name to what you want?
http://your-cx5000-ip/setup/ page let you make quite extensive configuring to CX5000.

I purchased my CX5000 on May 2014 and been happy with it and done all configuration from WUI /setup (web user interface)

Regards
Sami
post #3052 of 3125 Old 09-04-2014, 01:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by westmd View Post
As I wrote in earlier oost Yamaha promised to reveal something during the IFA in Berlin on the matter of the CX 5000 and Atmos, i will meet with them on Saturday and Keep you updatedß!
Can't wait to hear about it!
post #3053 of 3125 Old 09-04-2014, 04:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Got an issue here that I can't figure out, hoping someone out here can point me in the correct direction. I own a Yamaha RX-A3030. I only use it for a preamp in a 11.2 configuration. I have separate dedicated amplifiers for each audio channel. There is NO speakers directly attached to the 3030 whatsoever, only using the preamp outs.

My issue is when listening to program audio, doesn't matter if it's a bluray, dvd, or music, when at high volume settings, sometimes as low as +4dbm, the receiver will just turn off. When it's turned back on, the volume has reset to -40dbm every time. This is obviously a protection circuit kicking in, however, since I'm not using any of the amplifiers, there isn't any logical reason I can see for the protection circuit to kick in.

I've called Yamaha, they say it due to the protection circuit being set to "electronically" listen for certain frequencies to hit certain levels, and when they do, the receiver turns off, resets the volume control to a lower limit to keep from damaging a person's ears or speakers. They don't offer any other technical advise on this. The manual states if the unit turns off during playback, turn down your volume. (duh) currently I can only get around 90-95 db out of my system, when I should be able to hit 130db (c weighted) with crystal clear audio. I was able to acheive this before with my old 3020 unit. This 3030 is nice, except this protection.

I owned a Yamaha RX 3020 previously, and didn't have this issue at all. This seems to be a new feature in the RX-A3030 only.

Has anyone seen this before? Any ideas on how to bypass this issue? Does the Yamaha CX-A5000 have this same protection circuit? I'm planning on upgrading to the a5000 if I can't get this fixed.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Matt
post #3054 of 3125 Old 09-04-2014, 07:09 AM

Liked: 1
I have CX5k and I haven't had such limitation while tested Genelec 3*G4 + 2*G3 (5.2) + 2* Dayton um18-22 sealed 145l subs performance at home on full steam. And that is loud, My speakers are balaced 75db on -20 volume level and subs +4db hot to get all in balance. Me likes.
post #3055 of 3125 Old 09-04-2014, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
It's not just Yamaha, Denon, Marantz, Onkyo/Integra and Pioneer offer no Dolby Atmos upgrades on their equipment either. Its not just software, there are new hardware chipsets and processors involved as well.

Welcome My Son, Welcome To The Machine
post #3056 of 3125 Old 09-04-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon-XZ71 View Post
It's not just Yamaha, Denon, Marantz, Onkyo/Integra and Pioneer offer no Dolby Atmos upgrades on their equipment either. Its not just software, there are new hardware chipsets and processors involved as well.
I don't think that any of the 'consumer' grade products is desgned for major upgrades! The only company I know which tried a modular design was NAD but they have once in 4-5 years released modules. They haven't even upgraded from Audyssey Multi EQ to Multi EQ 32 eventhough that should have been possible in theory.
I think that this the concept of companies such as Yamaha, Onkyo, ypioneer, etc. How they do their business and that is why they keep prices relatively low.
Looking at the pro side companies like Trinnov charges high amounts in the first place and then you have your base unit which will stay up to date for about 10 years. Lexicon for instance released the MC12 in 2001 and brought it up to version 5 with constant upgrades over the years. Only the introduction of HDMI finally brought the base to an end!
In the end I still think that it will be cheaper to regulary buy consumer grade products because products which can be upgraded come with a much higher cost and upgrades are often also not for free. But then again quality wise you are on a different level.
I for myself think about which way to go. Either a Yamaha processor with Dolby Atmos once released or dig deep in the pocket and go for Stormaudio. As both products (Cx5000 sucessor and Stormaudio Atmos upgrade) have not been announced yet I still have some months to think...

Last edited by westmd; 09-04-2014 at 08:57 AM.
post #3057 of 3125 Old 09-04-2014, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 94
I asked this sometime ago in the 2014 Aventage thread and still waiting for an answer there. As it's applicable for the 2013 models, would appreciate some feedback, including CX-A5000 owners. The question is:

For current Yamaha owners that have a two sub setup, would like to ask a general question on this.

How does Yamaha carry out two sub equalization? Does it ping each sub individually to get level and distances correct? Or does it do a combined ping for both subs? There appears to be separate setting for level and distance for each sub as well as different sub placement configurations. If the subs are set at non-equal distances from the Main Listening Position (MLP) - how does this work?

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
post #3058 of 3125 Old 09-04-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJo1 View Post
Have you tried web interface for configuring scene name to what you want?
http://your-cx5000-ip/setup/ page let you make quite extensive configuring to CX5000.

I purchased my CX5000 on May 2014 and been happy with it and done all configuration from WUI /setup (web user interface)

Regards
Sami
Will give it a try although not really computer savy.
Thanks
post #3059 of 3125 Old 09-04-2014, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
I asked this sometime ago in the 2014 Aventage thread and still waiting for an answer there. As it's applicable for the 2013 models, would appreciate some feedback, including CX-A5000 owners. The question is:

For current Yamaha owners that have a two sub setup, would like to ask a general question on this.

How does Yamaha carry out two sub equalization? Does it ping each sub individually to get level and distances correct? Or does it do a combined ping for both subs? There appears to be separate setting for level and distance for each sub as well as different sub placement configurations. If the subs are set at non-equal distances from the Main Listening Position (MLP) - how does this work?
It sets level and distance separately for each subwoofer. It also EQs them separately. But you can change this if you'd like.

Honestly if you are serious about subwoofer EQ you need to get something specially for it. No matter how good receiver REQ is it is not as good as doing your subwoofer EQ with an outboard device. EQ sub first then run AVR REQ.
post #3060 of 3125 Old 09-05-2014, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westmd View Post
Thank you! Please do so, because they haven't officially announced anything yet.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Aventage Rxa 1030 Receiver , Yamaha Rxa2030bl Aventage Home Theater Receiver , Yamaha Rxa3030bl Aventage Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread - Rxa2030bl by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page