The "Official" Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A1030, RX-A2030, RX-A3030 and CX-A5000/MX-A5000 Thread - Page 104 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3091 of 3111 Old 09-07-2014, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello to all,

I have recently purchased RX-A2030 and I am generally very happy with this. It replaced an ONKYO 818.
I have noticed a weird problem. When I connect the AVR on my home network it seems that after a while it is meshed up. My media player (Pop corn A-410) stops playing the movie (reading from a synology NAS) after 40 minutes of playback. If I resume playing then it will stop after 10 minutes of playback. Also noticed problem with the mac, it became very slow and finally stacked so I had to hard reboot it. When i disconnect the A2030 everything runs smooth as always. After a month I attempted again to connect the A2030 on the network. Just to mention that it gets its IP and I can manage the AVR via the android application from my mobile. Then again I started watching a movie and the playback stalled after 30-40 minutes. I resume it once and stalled again. I disconnect the A2030 and everything goes back to normal.
I am on the latest firmware. Has anybody mentioned this problem? Is there a workaround?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3092 of 3111 Old 09-07-2014, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yamaha`s Pre/Pro & Dolby Atmos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post
I was thinking the same thing.

You did not read the forums to know that a huge change was coming and if that mattered you should wait to purchase.

That's all that had been discussed the last year. You can't expect Yamaha to do anything.

This victim mentally needs to disappear. Yes I'd be upset if I didn't know better and purchased last year's models but that isn't Yamaha's, Denon's, Onkyo's, or Pioneer's fault - it is mine.
I couldn`t agree more. But, unfortunately that is how things go.
I also have the CX-A5000, am totally happy with it`s performance and, based on this latest info on the Yamaha`s pre/pro, will certainly be waiting another year or so until Atmos`s dust settles down to replace my CX-A5000.

My HT Gear
Sony VPL-VW95ES / Panamorph A480SYS / EluneVision 2.40:1 143" CinemaScope Screen / Yamaha CX-A5000 / Oppo BDP-95 / Pioneer DV-47Ai / Crown XLS 1000 x 3 / Crown XLS 1500 x 1 / Crown XLS 2000 x 1 / Axiom M80Ti x 3 / Axiom QS8 x 2 / Yamaha NS-E105 x 2 / Yamaha NS-E60 x 2 / SVS PB12-Plus / Mirrage BPS-400 / Buttkicker x 2 / Aura Transducer x 2
Gordon-XZ71 likes this.
post #3093 of 3111 Old 09-07-2014, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon-XZ71 View Post
What other manufacturer will do what you want ? Who will you go to that provides hardware based updates to receivers & pre/pro's ?, Software updates alone will not give you Atmos functionality. I know of none, you would be in the same position no mater what you bought a year ago be it Denon, Onkyo/Integra & Pioneer. New features are added every year, do you expect them to offer retrofits to everything. When Dolby Digital True-HD & DTS Master Audio came out, nobody was able to update their 1 year old equipment to accommodate the new formats.

I would wait, the format will take time to take off and Yamaha will have a Pre/Pro ready when the format has taken hold. DTS-UHD will bring yet another round of this when it is introduced. In one year, sell your CX-A5000 and put toward a new Yamaha Pre/Pro that does Atmos, maybe by then they will have DTS-UHD implemented.

I disagree as I went from a Denon 5803 to the Yamaha and they "Denon" has offered upgrades in the past when the technology changed to keep their flagship updated! Same type situation where the 3D first came out you could send in your unit for upgrade. The fact that Yamaha are not providing the latest technology to the highest end units as an upgrade is ridiculous.
post #3094 of 3111 Old 09-07-2014, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDave View Post
I disagree as I went from a Denon 5803 to the Yamaha and they "Denon" has offered upgrades in the past when the technology changed to keep their flagship updated! Same type situation where the 3D first came out you could send in your unit for upgrade. The fact that Yamaha are not providing the latest technology to the highest end units as an upgrade is ridiculous.
Yamaha prices the stuff so you can just purchase an entire new unit if an upgrade exists. Instead of paying 4-5k+ up front you only spend <2k per unit whenever you want to upgrade. I prefer this pricing model vs the other.

Buy the new unit and sell your old one. You are still ahead than if you were to buy under the "we'll upgrade the hardware" model that some vendors choose. Think about it.
post #3095 of 3111 Old 09-07-2014, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Your Denon 5803 retailed for twice as much as a CX-A5000, and I don't think Denon does this for any of it's units anymore. Jump ship if you want, but I doubt it will do you any good in the long run.

Welcome My Son, Welcome To The Machine
post #3096 of 3111 Old 09-07-2014, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 219
I could use some guidance on some issues I am running into with my A5000.

This replaced an Onkyo 3009 which I was extremely happy with. Like anything else however; upgradeitis hit and wanted to try something else. This is coupled to an Outlaw amp for the mains and three Behringer amps for the subs.

First things first. The sub voltage level is extremely anemic compared to my Onkyo. I had the sub level at -4 with the attenuator at 20% to calibrate with the Onk. I know have to have the attenuator maxed out and sub out at 0 to reach the same level. Very disappointing for a reference level receiver.

The part that is really baffling me however is the sound from the mains. I have watched the same movies countless times with my Onkyo and am very familiar with volume level and loudness. This Yamaha is considerably louder. With the Onkyo I'd listen between -7 and -12 depending on the movie. I had some company over the last couple nights and watched the same movie at the same volume level (-12 for this particular movie) and it was considerably louder (almost to the point of being uncomfortable). Assuming reference is reference; why the large discrepancy in volume? The other issue this creates is even though the mains are much louder, the subs are not. They are completely over powered by the mains. I now need to back all the speaker levels down by about 4-5db's and leave the subs where they are to get them to blend back in.

The other major issue I am having (and the most annoying), is the dialog. The voices are way overpowering and sound overblown (to the point that I cringe when someone talks louder than normal conversation). You can actually feel it resonating in the chair every time someone speaks. I never had this problem with the Onkyo, the dialog always blended seamlessly (almost to the point of bordering on too quiet on some occasions). It sound like someone is shouting into a megaphone when they raise their voice and it gets a shrill tone to it. Not smooth at all.

I could use some advice on what to look for, or try to address here. As of right now I am kicking myself for upgrading from the Onkyo and if I can't get things figured out this thing is going back up for sale.

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #3097 of 3111 Old 09-08-2014, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post
I could use some guidance on some issues I am running into with my A5000...

The sub voltage level may be lower than you're used to, but that's not a problem as long as you can set up your sub to work with it. What matters is that the sub plays at the proper level, not the settings you need to get there.

The master volume setting isn't necessarily giving you reference level at 0dB unless you calibrate it that way. You can adjust all the speaker trims if you want it to match your Onkyo.

The dialog problem could be an issue with the centre channel EQ. Did you run YPAO, and did you use multiple measurement positions? Which YPAO mode did you choose (Natural or Flat)? If Flat, try Natural and Through (which turns off the EQ) for comparison. If you didn't run YPAO then you should run it.
post #3098 of 3111 Old 09-08-2014, 06:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I am not sure if I am happy or dissapointed that there is no CX-A5000 replacement - At least the 5000 can be a stopgap processor, until Atmos, HDMI 2.x, DTS UHD , BD 4K Profile x.x etc. have fully matured and settled in the market :-)
post #3099 of 3111 Old 09-08-2014, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post
The sub voltage level may be lower than you're used to, but that's not a problem as long as you can set up your sub to work with it. What matters is that the sub plays at the proper level, not the settings you need to get there.
I concur; I'm just surprised that in todays world, we would still have receivers being put out with extremely weak voltages. This is a reference receiver. I can obviously work around it, but I shouldn't have to I guess.

Quote:
The master volume setting isn't necessarily giving you reference level at 0dB unless you calibrate it that way. You can adjust all the speaker trims if you want it to match your Onkyo.
Why wouldn't it? 0 on the receiver should be calibrated to produce a certain db, otherwise what's the point of calibrating other than setting up distance and eq parameters. 0 should equate to reference. I guess I'll check it against my db meter and calibration disc to see what 0db is really putting out. I can see maybe a couple db discrepancy but we're talking 5db+.

Quote:
The dialog problem could be an issue with the centre channel EQ. Did you run YPAO, and did you use multiple measurement positions? Which YPAO mode did you choose (Natural or Flat)? If Flat, try Natural and Through (which turns off the EQ) for comparison. If you didn't run YPAO then you should run it.
I went through the eq settings YPAO applied. There is large boost at 500hz (which might be the culprit). I originally went with Natural and switched over to flat since then, which helped a little; but it's still really obnoxious.

I went with multiple measurements. I think I'm going to rerun it with multiple, but only mic the front seats and not the rear.

Achievement Unlocked

post #3100 of 3111 Old 09-08-2014, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

^ Yamaha don't claim that 0dB will be reference level after running YPAO. They only make sure the levels are matched to each other, not to absolute values. So it's up to you and your SPL meter if you want to change the trims.

You can copy your preferred YPAO EQ results to Manual, then tweak the center channel EQ to see if it will help. It's not normally needed, but sometimes things go wrong. The PEQedit program might make it easier to see how the EQ is currently set.

The crossover frequency (assuming centre is set as Small) can also have an effect. e.g. if your subs run hot you don't want the bass from male voices being crossed to the sub.
post #3101 of 3111 Old 09-08-2014, 11:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 850
YPAO EQd my center fairly flat except for a massive dip of -7.5dB at 1000Hz. Thats where a lot of the dialogue is so I thought it was strange but it sounds ok.
Id like to change it for movies but dont want to mess up my music and Im too lazy to do something like change from Flat to Manual all the time.
post #3102 of 3111 Old 09-08-2014, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post
^ Yamaha don't claim that 0dB will be reference level after running YPAO.
I guess I can see that. Depending on the size of room and seating distance, reference will certainly vary from one setup to the next. I guess I will adjust the trims myself manually. It's just surprising as every other receiver I've ever run (and there have been a lot), have always been pretty close to bang on after calibrating. This is the first time I've been very disappointed with the sound after doing an auto eq. It is nice that Yamaha gives you the option to manually eq, but I shouldn't have to go this route to get "acceptable" results.

Achievement Unlocked

post #3103 of 3111 Old 09-09-2014, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
3rd update: added N802's to the front - sound is really quite impressive, particularly imaging
post #3104 of 3111 Old 09-09-2014, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmax542 View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by turnne1 

IF you local Magnolia Home Theater( inside Best Buy) has any Yamaha XX20 series left ....IF being the key word

They are blowing them out at about 65-75% off retail

I snagged one a couple of weeks ago in the Dallas area.....they did a massive markdown on the remaining Yamaha XX20 series and Pioneer SC 63,65 and 67 models
I snagged one of the Pioneer Sc67's as well at 75% off retail

Warren

This turned out to be great advice. After 3+ hours of searching, and 20+ calls to Magnolia Home Theaters around the country, I found a new in box 3020 for 50% off msrp. It is currently about 800 miles away from me, but it's paid for, and on its way home.

Thanks!
I just got a demo model a2030 from BB for 780 bucks! Woohoo!
Craig Mecak likes this.
post #3105 of 3111 Old 09-12-2014, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Question

Hi all -

I was just reading a thread that covers some of the basics for running REW and was left with a question: they specifically call out disabling any room equalization prior to running REW. I'm not sure whether this means switching my RX-A3030 to 'Straight' mode or running a reset to remove the currently saved YPAO settings. Can anyone clarify?

Thx,

Mike
post #3106 of 3111 Old 09-12-2014, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

^ To measure the uncorrected response set Parametric EQ to "Through" (instead of one of the YPAO modes) in the Setup Menu.
post #3107 of 3111 Old 09-12-2014, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 15
thanks Krik!
post #3108 of 3111 Old 09-12-2014, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Well, in the 60 or so years that I've been dabbling in this hobby there's always been some new "must have" feature right around the corner. So, whenever you buy it won't be long till it's obsolete.

That's why I like my other hobby so much: woodworking. My woodworking tools that I bought 30+ years ago are still just fine!
post #3109 of 3111 Old 09-13-2014, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quick question for fellow 5000 owners. Do you use the 5000's video processing for bluray content? I use a PS4 for Blurays, but haven't noticed much difference with the 5000's video processing on/off.
post #3110 of 3111 Old 09-13-2014, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
No. They seem pretty basic. I have calibration done in the projector from the various sources.
post #3111 of 3111 Old 09-14-2014, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
CX-A5000 Video Processing Feature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civik99si View Post
Quick question for fellow 5000 owners. Do you use the 5000's video processing for bluray content? I use a PS4 for Blurays, but haven't noticed much difference with the 5000's video processing on/off.
I also leave the CX-A5000 video processing feature off and use my VW95ES's instead.

My HT Gear:
Sony VPL-VW95ES / Panamorph A480SYS / EluneVision 2.40:1 143" CinemaScope Screen / Yamaha CX-A5000 / Oppo BDP-95 / Pioneer DV-47Ai / Crown XLS 1000 x 3 / Crown XLS 1500 x 1 / Crown XLS 2000 x 1 / Axiom M80Ti x 3 / Axiom QS8 x 2 / Yamaha NS-E105 x 2 / Yamaha NS-E60 x 2 / SVS PB12-Plus / Mirrage BPS-400 / Buttkicker x 2 / Aura Transducer x 2
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Aventage Rxa 1030 Receiver , Yamaha Rxa2030bl Aventage Home Theater Receiver , Yamaha Rxa3030bl Aventage Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread - Rxa2030bl by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page