Originally Posted by mjmcmahon67
... I'm curious whether you can replicate the issue in two additional scenarios:
1.) What if you change the input used by DirecTV on your receiver? Does the issue remain?
2.) What if you set your DirecTV receiver to use PCM rather than Dolby Digital? Do you still see the audio cut-outs?
First of all, thanks for the reply. As for trying different inputs on the receiver, the problem unfortunately exists regardless of which input I use. I've even tried swapping out the HDMI cable itself, thinking that may be the problem. As I noted in my original post, based on a few suggestions over on the DTV forum, I tried shutting off HDMI control entirely, as well as video processing ... neither of which seem to make any difference.
I have an HR-34 Genie in my master bedroom and two C-31 clients, one in my office and one in my Great Room. It is the C-31 client in the Great Room that's connected to the A3030. At first I thought it was the Genie client that was failing, but when I tried running the HDMI cable directly from the DTV box to the back of the TV (bypassing the AVR) the audio was fine. (Well, as fine as TV-speaker audio can be.
) I also tried swapping the client boxes, using the one from my office, but both client boxes lose audio when connected to the A3030.
What makes this troubleshooting difficult is that I don't watch TV in the Great Room very often ... I mostly watch Blu-rays there. So it's not uncommon for there to be months in between the times I actually try to watch DTV in that room. Although I only noticed it over the past couple of days, the problem could have actually existed for a few months and I wouldn't have known it. In that time there have been a couple of DTV software updates and at least one A3030 firmware update. Either (or neither) could be responsible. All I know is that when I first put in the A3030 and the DTV client box, all was working and I could change DTV channels without losing audio. So this problem is new. Exactly how new, I don't know ... but it's new. The other interesting thing to note is when this problem was first discovered a few days ago, at that point I could still change to *some* channels without losing audio, but not others. Over the past few days however, it seems to have gotten worse and as of now, I can't change from any channel to *any* other channel without losing the HDMI audio, regardless of the audio formats the channels are broadcasting in.
I'll try your two suggestions about switching to PCM, and also resetting the entire Receiver, and then I'll post back here. Thanks so much for your advice.