The "Official" Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A1030, RX-A2030, RX-A3030 and CX-A5000/MX-A5000 Thread - Page 106 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3151 of 3385 Old 10-03-2014, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttownsend View Post
Funny you should mention the updates. I just posted a reply to another the message above about that. I checked the DirecTV Genie download history and noticed that the C-31 clients received an automatic update on 9/16. I discovered the problem on 9/18, which is the first time I'd watched that TV in a few weeks. This seems to coincide with the other folks who, on the DirecTV forum, are now posting similar problems between the Genie clients and a Yamaha receiver. They're claiming it just started within the past week too!
Tom - Glad to see you are following this up. Great call to relate this problem to the 9/16 software rollout to the Genie.

It's important to note that reports of problems all involve the Genie client through an A/V receiver, whereas people who report their systems as working fine are using Genie servers, non-Genie DTV STBs, or have the Genie client directly connected to a television.

I too believe that this is an HDCP handshake issue. I have a customer now with an RX-A3030 that has HDCP issues with a Genie server/client configuration. Same firmware on the RX-A3030 with two FIOS boxes (Motorola) feeding main and second zone, main zone has Epson 6030UB projector, second zone has Samsung UN40F5000 (or some 5series). Everything worked fine.

Converted to Genie server for main zone, client for 2nd zone. If server is playing in main zone and second zone selects client, either of two things happen in 2nd zone: picture flashes video/black screen every second; or 'non-HDCP compliant/convert to component' message appears. However, if main zone is set to AppleTV or Blu-ray, for instance, then client can be selected in 2nd zone and video works fine. Main zone can then select Genie server and both display video. However, if you change source on 2nd zone to client while server is displayed on main zone's projector, no video problem happens.

This appears to be a different flavor of HDCP problems with DTV's Genie client boxes. Forums show DTV to be spotty in their understanding/implementation of HDCP.

Yamaha dealer support (tier 2) is getting plenty of reports of the audio drop-out issue with Genie clients, but I also see reports of that exact behavior with other AVRs (Denon, Onkyo) on forums. The problem is not seen when the clients are connected directly to TVs, but that doesn't mean that all the AVRs are at fault. It means that the Genie clients don't play with HDMI repeaters in the configuration, which is what the AVRs appear to be. Not surprising that DTV doesn't test with AVRs in their lab. They likely assume that their customers plug their Genie clients directly into a television. I consider that a bad assumption.

Thanks for your detailed reporting on the problem, Tom. I'd like to see everyone who's reporting good/bad experience with this issue note whether it's a Genie server, Genie client, or a non-Genie DTV box.

NJ Audioman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3152 of 3385 Old 10-03-2014, 03:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
^^
Not replacing, rather the Atmos track is layered on top of the Dolby TrueHD track, such that non-Atmos AVRs will still be able to play the Dolby TrueHD track when receiving audio from an Atmos BD.
That makes more sense.
post #3153 of 3385 Old 10-05-2014, 05:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Just joined the CX-A5000 club :-) - My first Yamaha product ever, - time to see if how I like DSP for movies :-D
post #3154 of 3385 Old 10-06-2014, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked: 908
Anyone with a Yamaha AVR interested in participating in an autoEQ processor shootout on November 8th in Kansas City?

A comparison of
YAPO
MCACC
Audyssey
Dirac
Trinnov
ARC

Here are the initial details. Post 716
Kansas City Area Home Theater Meets and Movie Night Events!

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #3155 of 3385 Old 10-06-2014, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked: 908
Anyone with a Yamaha AVR interested in participating in an autoEQ processor shootout on November 8th in Kansas City?

A comparison of
YAPO
MCACC
Audyssey
Dirac
Trinnov
ARC

Here are the initial details. Post 716
Kansas City Area Home Theater Meets and Movie Night Events!

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #3156 of 3385 Old 10-06-2014, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Guys.

I have an odd ground loop / hum problem with my CX-A5000 - the hum is when the unit it off - if I turn it on - it goes away... (!) - when I switch it off again - it is quiet - but after about 2min - it is growling away again :-(

Any ideas? I did not have the hum with my last processor - I even have 1 component less (a HDMI switch) less in the chain....
post #3157 of 3385 Old 10-06-2014, 11:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmonkey View Post
Guys.

I have an odd ground loop / hum problem with my CX-A5000 - the hum is when the unit it off - if I turn it on - it goes away... (!) - when I switch it off again - it is quiet - but after about 2min - it is growling away again :-(

Any ideas? I did not have the hum with my last processor - I even have 1 component less (a HDMI switch) less in the chain....
What exactly is humming? If its from the speakers then your amp is the source. If its a ground loop then anything is possible and you'd want to troubleshoot all connected components - especially cable boxes.
post #3158 of 3385 Old 10-06-2014, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
What exactly is humming? If its from the speakers then your amp is the source. If its a ground loop then anything is possible and you'd want to troubleshoot all connected components - especially cable boxes.
I seem to have it isolated to my interconnects for the front Left and front Right - only these 2 are humming - MIT MI-330 Plus - something in those boxes does not agree with the CX-A5000 - if I touch the boxes, the humming gets worse - if I move my finger close to the boxes (not touching!) - the humming gets worse - the closer I move a finger to the boxes, the louder the humming gets... - other channels are silent - tried replacing the 330s with regular interconnects - no problem here.

I did not have this issue on my last processor where I used the 330 also for the fronts...
post #3159 of 3385 Old 10-06-2014, 08:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I seem to have it isolated to my interconnects for the front Left and front Right - only these 2 are humming - MIT MI-330 Plus - something in those boxes does not agree with the CX-A5000 - if I touch the boxes, the humming gets worse - if I move my finger close to the boxes (not touching!) - the humming gets worse - the closer I move a finger to the boxes, the louder the humming gets... - other channels are silent - tried replacing the 330s with regular interconnects - no problem here.

I did not have this issue on my last processor where I used the 330 also for the fronts...
You've pretty much diagnosed a ground loop issue. If you have a cable box in the system, disconnect the coax from outside and see what happens.
The fact that you didn't have it in your previous setup isn't really relevant, because the setup changed.
post #3160 of 3385 Old 10-07-2014, 04:56 AM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I'm gonna order a RX-A3030 and use it as pre-amp because i already have a Rotel 1095 pow here. So i wonder if anyone here have a A3030 as preamp can help me :
-How the A3030 2chanel music sound when using it as preamp ? I own the Onkyo 838 and used it as preamp before but i don't like it much, the 2channel sound so ...dard and boring, i even own a oppo 105D and i connect it analog out direct to my pow but i also don't like it. The oppo 105 2 channel sound so bright, so thin and don't have much musical to me. My main speaker is b&w 804s . So i wonder if the A3030 can help me in this case .
Thank you and sorry for my bad english.
post #3161 of 3385 Old 10-07-2014, 08:05 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 68
NEWSFLASH
Just received from a 100% reliable source that Yama will offer an AURO 3D upgrade in November. No word yet if only the new Atmos capable recivers or also other modells. As the CXA5000 already support the same speaker setup as Auro 9.1 in theory an upgrade could be possible!
post #3162 of 3385 Old 10-07-2014, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
You've pretty much diagnosed a ground loop issue. If you have a cable box in the system, disconnect the coax from outside and see what happens.
The fact that you didn't have it in your previous setup isn't really relevant, because the setup changed.
Every source device I disconnected made the "volume" of hum go down - but the hum was still loud even with the power unpluged from the CX-A5000.

I then tried to reverse the MIT cables - this was it - now all is back to normal. Case solved...
post #3163 of 3385 Old 10-07-2014, 10:44 AM

Does anybody know how the RX3030 (used as a processor only) would stand against a CXA5000?
justbenice likes this.
post #3164 of 3385 Old 10-08-2014, 01:16 AM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by westmd View Post
Does anybody know how the RX3030 (used as a processor only) would stand against a CXA5000?
I love to know the answer too!
post #3165 of 3385 Old 10-08-2014, 02:55 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Rx-a1030 dsd

Does anybody know if the RX-A1030 outputs pure DSD stream or converts the DSD to PCM first?

Thank you.
post #3166 of 3385 Old 10-08-2014, 04:14 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanghelatos View Post
Does anybody know if the RX-A1030 outputs pure DSD stream or converts the DSD to PCM first?

Thank you.
I think you meant to say "Does anybody know if the RX-A1030 keeps the pure DSD stream native or converts the DSD to PCM first?"

Well, I believe the answer is 'it depends'.

If you're using YPAO or EQ or bass management, which is most likely the case for most people, then yes, it converts the DSD to PCM for processing. It has to. Doing all that in the purely DSD domain is nearly impossible.

However, if you select 'Pure Direct' mode, apparently all YPAO / EQ / Bass Management / Time Delays etc are bypassed, and the DA converters can switch to pure DSD to analog mode. But of course then you don't get the processing.

Hope that helps.

Craig.
post #3167 of 3385 Old 10-08-2014, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
pre out question

Hello from Sweden!

I have a RX-A1030 and i don't get no signal from the pre out in the back..
I have Dynaudio neo 3 that i want to try to use this way via pre out and improve 2 channel music..

I don´t get why i don't have signal this way?

And one more question
I have Dynaudio exite 32 and i am not happy with how they perform with the
Yamaha...They are hard to drive..
Would 3030 be the way to go?

But if someone could help me with the pre out question..

Thank`s
post #3168 of 3385 Old 10-08-2014, 12:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumskolan View Post
Hello from Sweden!

I have a RX-A1030 and i don't get no signal from the pre out in the back..
I have Dynaudio neo 3 that i want to try to use this way via pre out and improve 2 channel music..

I don´t get why i don't have signal this way?

And one more question
I have Dynaudio exite 32 and i am not happy with how they perform with the
Yamaha...They are hard to drive..
Would 3030 be the way to go?

But if someone could help me with the pre out question..

Thank`s
Which pre-outs are you trying to use? There are several. If you're trying to drive an external amp, the multi-channel line-outs are the ones to use - but obviously you can't have speakers attached to the AVR on the same channels. Make sure you're using the output, not the multi-channel input.

If you're trying to do some sort of a zone-2 setup, use the zone-2 output.

If you need power, the external amp is the only way to go. The 3030 won't get you there.
post #3169 of 3385 Old 10-08-2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:
the multi-channel line-outs are the ones to use - but obviously you can't have speakers attached to the AVR
Yes, i have the multi out (front left and right) and no speakers attached. But still don't get signal to to the active Neo 3 speakers.
Must be turned of in the meny??
post #3170 of 3385 Old 10-08-2014, 03:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumskolan View Post
Yes, i have the multi out (front left and right) and no speakers attached. But still don't get signal to to the active Neo 3 speakers.
Must be turned of in the meny??
That's some kind of a wireless active speaker, yes? Hard to say, based on what you've posted. But the L-R line-outs are active any time there's no speakers connected to the AVR. No setup, it just works.
post #3171 of 3385 Old 10-08-2014, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
I would be shocked if you could tell them apart in a blind test.

That's assuming you leave the dac setting at the default which would match the 3030 and you are not using the additional dsp modes on the 5000.
justbenice likes this.
post #3172 of 3385 Old 10-08-2014, 10:35 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post
I would be shocked if you could tell them apart in a blind test.

That's assuming you leave the dac setting at the default which would match the 3030 and you are not using the additional dsp modes on the 5000.
I have experience with something similar, I now run a CX-A5000 with the matching amplifier. I used to run the HTR-7065 and to be honest, for two channel audio there is not much noticeable difference, except for bass trim, in music and default settings the 7065 doesn't do bass very well. When I kick in the DSP for surrond 11.2 channel stereo for music or movies, the CX-A5000 really shines, music and quadraphonic music is spectacular as are movies. It will make you want to listen or watch movies all day long. It is a joy to experience and listen too.
justbenice likes this.
post #3173 of 3385 Old 10-09-2014, 07:44 AM

Atmos and DTS-UHD are both object based systems, meaning that the DSP has to do live rendering of sound to steer the individual channels. This requires a lot of horsepower from the DSP and therefore to keep Audyssey on board Marantz decided to double there DSP's and Onkyo threw Audyssey off board as the chip wasn't able to perform Atmos and Audyssey in parallel.
Auro has just the additional information for the individual height speakers in their PCM stream, that would mean less work for the DSP. Therefore I would assume that even the DSP in the CX-A 5000 should be capable of doing Auro.
As native material of Atmos will not be available in big quantities anyway for the next months I wouldn't mind just skipping native Atmos for a season, until Yamaha has their CXA 5000 sucessor next year which will be able then to do all formats!
Atmos and Auro3D compatible speaker layout
post #3174 of 3385 Old 10-09-2014, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Atmos and DTS-UHD are both object based systems, meaning that the DSP has to do live rendering of sound to steer the individual channels. This requires a lot of horsepower from the DSP and therefore to keep Audyssey on board Marantz decided to double there DSP's and Onkyo threw Audyssey off board as the chip wasn't able to perform Atmos and Audyssey in parallel.
Auro has just the additional information for the individual height speakers in their PCM stream, that would mean less work for the DSP. Therefore I would assume that even the DSP in the CX-A 5000 should be capable of doing Auro.
As native material of Atmos will not be available in big quantities anyway for the next months I wouldn't mind just skipping native Atmos for a season, until Yamaha has their CXA 5000 sucessor next year which will be able then to do all formats!
Atmos and Auro3D compatible speaker layout
Don't forget about the Dolby surround improvements that come along with atmos.
post #3175 of 3385 Old 10-09-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post
Don't forget about the Dolby surround improvements that come along with atmos.
But Auro has The Auromatic upmixer which is the same principle of Dolby Surround upmixing legacy content to athe full set of speakers. Wholst I neither heard DSU or Auromatic and currently there are no unuts featuring Atmos and Auro a comparison would be hard. I can only say that native Auro was breathtaking and from Datasat users that have Auro already who made a comparison between native and upmixed Auro they stated that the Auromatic was not much defirior to native Auro.
My personal conclusion is therefore that the Auromatic should be enough for me as a dirst gen equipment and I then will wait what things to come!
post #3176 of 3385 Old 10-09-2014, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Some questions about the operation of my A5000:

1. Why do I only see angle measurements for front and surround (just sides, not surround back)?? (4 of 7.1 have angle measurements)

2. What do I do with one speaker, where the distance was measured waaayyy off (about 2x+ the real distance) what could have caused this?

3. For using Virtual Presence - is it enough to just enable "VPS" in the menu or should I also enable in speaker setup????

4. For some reason, my surround-side speakers were detected as LARGE, while the same speakers on the back wall were correctly detected as SMALL (100HZ) - should I override the sides to SMALL too???

Thanks
post #3177 of 3385 Old 10-09-2014, 02:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Some questions about the operation of my A5000:

2. What do I do with one speaker, where the distance was measured waaayyy off (about 2x+ the real distance) what could have caused this?
Often this is caused by reflections off room furnishings, walls or the like, or if the speaker is facing away from the microphone.

Quote:
4. For some reason, my surround-side speakers were detected as LARGE, while the same speakers on the back wall were correctly detected as SMALL (100HZ) - should I override the sides to SMALL too???
You can set them any way you like. Differences in placement will greatly affect how they respond.
post #3178 of 3385 Old 10-14-2014, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Another question :-D

In "Pure Direct" mode - does the A5000 also disable the DAC rolloff filters???
post #3179 of 3385 Old 10-14-2014, 12:10 PM

Liked: 12
I have a Yamaha Avantage 3010. Is there a quick and simple way to switch between Pattern 1 and Pattern 2 to reduce subwoofer volume for TV shows? I can turn the sub off there and reset front and other speakers to large or reduce sub output by 10 dB to make some TV stuff more reasonable but no quickie direct way to just turn down the sub. I have no idea what Yamaha does with "Scenes" so do not know if there is something there that I could use. Any thoughts?

Bill Shenefelt
http://sheneskillies.com
william.shenefelt@verizon.net
post #3180 of 3385 Old 10-14-2014, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Shenefelt View Post
I have a Yamaha Avantage 3010. Is there a quick and simple way to switch between Pattern 1 and Pattern 2 to reduce subwoofer volume for TV shows? I can turn the sub off there and reset front and other speakers to large or reduce sub output by 10 dB to make some TV stuff more reasonable but no quickie direct way to just turn down the sub. I have no idea what Yamaha does with "Scenes" so do not know if there is something there that I could use. Any thoughts?

Scenes are one way to go. First configure scenes so that speaker setup is part of a scene (p. 107 of the 3010 manual). Then save a scene for the TV input while using pattern 1, and a scene for the TV using pattern 2. But when you switch to a different input (i.e. not the TV) you'll need to make sure you go back to the pattern that uses the sub (assuming you want the sub).

Otherwise there are discrete codes to select a speaker pattern (at least there are network and serial codes, not sure about IR). So with the right remote control you could just change speaker pattern with one button.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Aventage Rxa 1030 Receiver , Yamaha Rxa2030bl Aventage Home Theater Receiver , Yamaha Rxa3030bl Aventage Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread