The "Official" Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A1030, RX-A2030, RX-A3030 and CX-A5000/MX-A5000 Thread - Page 115 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #3421 of 3779 Old 12-29-2014, 10:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabs17 View Post
Thanks and look forward to your results.
Murphy's alive and well. The only mono cables I have are male to male and the only male to female cables I have are stereo. Sorry I don't have the right cable. It would've taken two minutes to verify.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3422 of 3779 Old 12-29-2014, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 498 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcrone View Post
Murphy's alive and well. The only mono cables I have are male to male and the only male to female cables I have are stereo. Sorry I don't have the right cable. It would've taken two minutes to verify.
No problem. I just ordered a mono cable from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

One of the reviewers said he used it to extend his Audyssey mic so it should work for YPAO.

Thanks orcrone for your help.

Nabs17
post #3423 of 3779 Old 12-29-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabs17 View Post
No problem. I just ordered a mono cable from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

One of the reviewers said he used it to extend his Audyssey mic so it should work for YPAO.

Thanks orcrone for your help.
Glad I could help. That looks like it should work just fine.
post #3424 of 3779 Old 12-29-2014, 01:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I tried searching the thread but couldn't come up with anything.

Is it possible to copy and paste the PEQ settings on my RX A 1030 (flat, natural, front) from YPAO into the manual setting option so one can tweak them? I've read on some models you can, but I don't see the option on my receiver.

It seems like on the flat and natural PEQ it has some pretty steep corrections, +4.5 db on the low frequency bands, and then kind of all over the place on the others. The 4.5 db seems a little steep. I'm not sure what will give me the best/most accurate sound as I am still in the learning phase with all of this stuff.

I was going to try and copy the flat curves over to manual and change all of the gains to 0db so I can still utilize the RSC part of it. Or maybe just use the through setting with no PEQ. What is everyone's preferred PEQ setting?

Also, some of the Q settings are in the 1.5xx range. Not really sure how Q settings affect the sound but on some of the bands it is as low as .5 on up to the 1.5xx.

For fronts I have Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2's and for a sub I have a PSA XS15SE. I have them crossed over at 80hz. As far as the subwoofer I need to do the crawl, I just got the sub last week and havent had much time with it. After that I plan on running YPAO to get the distance/delay correct and then manually level match it to the fronts with a calibrated SPL meter.

I ordered a mic stand and an adapter for the YPAO mic. Hopefully get more accurate readings this way with the auto correction. Eventually I would like to get a UMIK and start using REW.

Anyone have the same speakers and any set up pointers/tips for me? Dont get me wrong, the system sounds great, Im just wondering if it can be even better. I know a lot of this is room dependent, just thinking there might be some standard/easy things I'm missing. I attached a pic of my house layout, it is all open. The biggest rectangle is the tv. The small circles are the speakers and the circle closest to the corner is the sub. I don't have a lot of options with placement other than spreading the speakers out a little more and putting the sub in between the speaker and the tv VS on the outside of the speakers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	82
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	448458  

Last edited by jsc79; 12-29-2014 at 01:36 PM.
post #3425 of 3779 Old 12-29-2014, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc79 View Post
Is it possible to copy and paste the PEQ settings on my RX A 1030 (flat, natural, front) from YPAO into the manual setting option so one can tweak them? I've read on some models you can, but I don't see the option on my receiver.

It seems like on the flat and natural PEQ it has some pretty steep corrections, +4.5 db on the low frequency bands, and then kind of all over the place on the others. The 4.5 db seems a little steep. I'm not sure what will give me the best/most accurate sound as I am still in the learning phase with all of this stuff.

Yes, you can copy YPAO results to Manual. See the note at the bottom of page 105 in the manual (under manual PEQ look for "PEQ Data Copy").

+/- 4.5dB corrections aren't necessarily wrong. The Q value is also important (low Q is a wide filter, and high Q is a narrow filter).

If you're going to get into REW and manual corrections, you'll probably also want to get something that can EQ the sub (the 1030 doesn't do that).
post #3426 of 3779 Old 12-29-2014, 05:58 PM
Nobody Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDave View Post
So I have a RX-A3030 in my front room and I ran a HDMI over Cat5 to our patio and voila I have a TV picture. But I quickly realized no audio is being transferred as the TV in the front room has all of the audio being process in a 5.1 system from the AVR. Question, can I reassign the open channels to a sound bar for the patio, L/R/C or just a L/R stereo format, thoughts? Thanks! David
Update I installed two speakers on the patio in the only way I could get audio was to piggyback off my center channel. I attempted to use the second zone but could never get audio output to function! Any thoughts?????
post #3427 of 3779 Old 12-29-2014, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDave View Post
Update I installed two speakers on the patio in the only way I could get audio was to piggyback off my center channel. I attempted to use the second zone but could never get audio output to function! Any thoughts?????
Can you post your menu settings?

First, in the Speaker (manual setup screen) what is your power amp assignment?

In the HDMI menu Audio Output should be set to ON.

In the Multizone menu is Zone 2 volume set to Fixed or Variable?
In the HDMI Out2 menu is audio output set to ON?
post #3428 of 3779 Old 12-31-2014, 11:41 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A2030 Issues

I have had my RX-A2030 for a year now. Thanks to this thread i purchased the 2030. Out of the box things worked great. I have a 7.2 setup, using JBL Studio L speakers all around.

Recently however, the sound quality has cone bad. I used to watch Blu-rays from my PS3/PS4 using straight decoding and it sounded wonderful. My kids us the HT more often now to play video games, and I think they must have done something, but what I am not sure and I cant figure it out. Now when I watch movies, the dialogue is tiny and barely discernible. They only way to hear dialogue is to play the movies on 9-ch stereo. But in this mode, the surround sound effects seem to disappear and does not sound as good as before.

Any suggestions on how to fix this, and how best to set up my system for a great movie experience.

Should decoding be done in PS 3/4 or in A2030?
Any difference in how I should treat 5.1 vs. 7.1 sources?
What is the best way to get the best sound?
post #3429 of 3779 Old 01-01-2015, 12:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2obuff View Post
I have had my RX-A2030 for a year now. Thanks to this thread i purchased the 2030. Out of the box things worked great. I have a 7.2 setup, using JBL Studio L speakers all around.

Recently however, the sound quality has cone bad. I used to watch Blu-rays from my PS3/PS4 using straight decoding and it sounded wonderful. My kids us the HT more often now to play video games, and I think they must have done something, but what I am not sure and I cant figure it out. Now when I watch movies, the dialogue is tiny and barely discernible. They only way to hear dialogue is to play the movies on 9-ch stereo. But in this mode, the surround sound effects seem to disappear and does not sound as good as before.

Any suggestions on how to fix this, and how best to set up my system for a great movie experience.

h2obuff,

First of all, congratulations on a fine Yamaha audio unit. I am a few years and price points behind you.

2nd, I don't know how to spell PS-3/4.

Regards center stage disappearing from a home theater--I am right with you. Everything sounds wonderful EXCEPT the front/dialogue audio space. Big Zero. Very weird.

OPPO BDP-93 HDMI 2 audio-only channel to Yamaha 765. Well known that HDMI needs to be LPCM to play well with Yamaha. Advice I have been given is to assign HDMI audio to LPCM only, not bitstream or Auto.
Other bit of advice concerns your source's SPDIF or Toslink digital audio out: limit speed to 96kbps, do not permit 192kpbs. Why this impacts HDMI output/inputs no one has explained, but it does seem to. I've seen it.

Last item to double check is source listing of speaker configuration. If source somehow decides (got told) that center/front stage doesn't exist- then it is likely to NOT output even digitally the needed information to your downstream audio device. Sounds weird, but ...

Other than those, I've got nothing. I hope that your sound comes back to where it needs to be.

Mike

post #3430 of 3779 Old 01-01-2015, 02:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
OK. Serious question here.

From same source, A4Less: Which is the way to go?

Denon 4520CI "NEW" with factory 3yr warranty or Yamaha RX-A3030 "Refurb" with 1year. Exact same price.

Application: 5.1 system plus height/presence speakers. Single zone used. Possible use of airplay and/or wireless streaming. Other than that, quite conventional. The right choice allows me to send 3 x 100w of external amplification down the road via Craigslist and a Pioneer 812 (2011 year?) AVR to the same route. I'd expect to recover @ $400 total cost from those sales.

I have liked Yamaha for 10years, but I do respect the 'Made in Japan' attached to the Denon 4520.

I do not know enough to make a smart decision here and now. Your help will be read and appreciated for what it is.

Mike

post #3431 of 3779 Old 01-01-2015, 03:33 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 56
jsc79,

I have found that my system sounds best when not using settings set by YPAO. It kills the bass, makes everything sound weak and dull. I believe that if you already have a good speaker system you do not need to use room correction. Instead, try to fix the room itself instead of letting a computer program control your sound.
post #3432 of 3779 Old 01-01-2015, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
7.1 Speaker Setup question for 2040?

Just got the 2040 and ready to set it up, but realized that I have no idea where my additional 2 speakers should go... I've had Yamahas for many years but may have been putting the presence speakers in the wrong input...

My set up is as follows:

2 x Accoustic Energy Front Speakers
1 x Accoustic Energy Center Speaker
2 x Accoustic Energy Rear Speakers
2 x Yamaha Presence Speakers (additional speakers I want to use for additional width)
1 x Yamaha subwoofer (adding a 2nd one shortly)

Question is: where do I put the additional 2 Yamaha speakers to maximize width and take advantage of Dolby Atmos? There are 3 input pairs on the receiver:
  • Surround
  • Surround Back
  • R Presence
  • F. Presence

Which ones do I use for the Accoustic Energy "rear" speakers and which should I use for the Yamaha speakers?

Thanks for any help!
post #3433 of 3779 Old 01-01-2015, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 1188
Quote:

Have you reviewed your YPAO settings? Perhaps something has been changed there. Is adaptive DRC still enabled?

HT: CM10 S2 FR/FL, CMC2 S1, CM5 S1 surrounds, ASW610; Yamaha rx-a2030; Parasound Halo P5; Parasound Halo A23; Oppo BDP-93; ATV
2 Channel (computer setup): Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 NrT FR/FL, ASW608; Parasound Zpre2; Parasound Zampv3; Parasound Zdac; Parasound Zphono; Rega RP1; Marantz CD5004

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #3434 of 3779 Old 01-01-2015, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:

make sure your on the recent firmware, then factory reboot and run calibration again
post #3435 of 3779 Old 01-01-2015, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Liebman View Post
Just got the 2040 and ready to set it up, but realized that I have no idea where my additional 2 speakers should go... I've had Yamahas for many years but may have been putting the presence speakers in the wrong input...

My set up is as follows:

2 x Accoustic Energy Front Speakers
1 x Accoustic Energy Center Speaker
2 x Accoustic Energy Rear Speakers
2 x Yamaha Presence Speakers (additional speakers I want to use for additional width)
1 x Yamaha subwoofer (adding a 2nd one shortly)

Question is: where do I put the additional 2 Yamaha speakers to maximize width and take advantage of Dolby Atmos? There are 3 input pairs on the receiver:
  • Surround
  • Surround Back
  • R Presence
  • F. Presence
Which ones do I use for the Accoustic Energy "rear" speakers and which should I use for the Yamaha speakers?

Thanks for any help!

You would hook up your Accustic Energy speakers to the "Surround Back" jacks and the Yamaha speakers to the "Front Presence" jacks and then go into the setup menu under speakers and set the amp selection to include them which I believe is "Main +FP" or "Basic". I have a CX-A5000 which does not have assignable amps but also have a RX-A3010 which does and those are the setting I used on that. Best advice is checkout the online manual and see which setting to use for sure.

Yamaha CX-A5000, ATI AT 2007 Amp (7X200W), ATI AT 2004 Amp (4X200W)Klipsch RF 63's - Main, RB 61's - Front heights, RC-62 - Center, RS-62's - Surround, RS-52's - Rear Surround, 2 Rythmik DS-1510 DIY Subwoofers (With PEQ600XLR3 Amp) each connected with Antimode 8033S-II, Oppo BDP-95, MMF-7.1, Project Phono Box RS, XBox 360, XBox One, Oppo HA-1, TEAC PD-501HR transport, Atech Fabrication 7000 fanless HTPC with Sony VGP-XL1B DVD changer
post #3436 of 3779 Old 01-01-2015, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

^ It looks like he's running 5.1 + front presence, so he would use the "Surround" outputs, not "Surround back". You never use the surround backs unless you're also using the surrounds.
post #3437 of 3779 Old 01-01-2015, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post
^ It looks like he's running 5.1 + front presence, so he would use the "Surround" outputs, not "Surround back". You never use the surround backs unless you're also using the surrounds.

Good catch, I just realized after re-reading his post he is running a 5.1 system so yes, surround would be the correct connection. I have only run 7.1 systems so I assumed based on my setup what the connections would be. Thanks for the correction and happy new year

Yamaha CX-A5000, ATI AT 2007 Amp (7X200W), ATI AT 2004 Amp (4X200W)Klipsch RF 63's - Main, RB 61's - Front heights, RC-62 - Center, RS-62's - Surround, RS-52's - Rear Surround, 2 Rythmik DS-1510 DIY Subwoofers (With PEQ600XLR3 Amp) each connected with Antimode 8033S-II, Oppo BDP-95, MMF-7.1, Project Phono Box RS, XBox 360, XBox One, Oppo HA-1, TEAC PD-501HR transport, Atech Fabrication 7000 fanless HTPC with Sony VGP-XL1B DVD changer
post #3438 of 3779 Old 01-01-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post
Thanks for the reply... Actually, I'd like to do a 7.2 (the other sub on the way) so what would be the optimal setup? I can put the additional Yamahas either in the front or back...

Thanks !
post #3439 of 3779 Old 01-01-2015, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

^ What you described before is what I would call 5.1 + front presence (7 speakers total). 7.1 normally means the traditional layout of front/center/surround/surround back.

To use the surround backs you really want at least a few feet behind the listening position (3 feet is enough). For me they definitely add something useful. I've never tried front presence speakers so I can't compare.
post #3440 of 3779 Old 01-01-2015, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I updated firmware and re-ran YPAO. Turns out the speaker cable from Receiver to wall "burned up" - it was resting next to a power source and got a little hot it seems.

Replaced speaker cables and all is great. Whew.
post #3441 of 3779 Old 01-02-2015, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I haven't had the chance to dig into this so I'm hoping for quick answer here but ran the YPAO all sounds great but I noticed it shows my Klipsch bookshelf sized surrounds RS 52 IIS as large speakers which doesn't necessarily surprise me as they are pretty hefty for what I would consider satellites so my question is what would the low end cutoff be to the sub in this instance? Should this be the case or should I go in and change them to small?
post #3442 of 3779 Old 01-02-2015, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCaron View Post
I haven't had the chance to dig into this so I'm hoping for quick answer here but ran the YPAO all sounds great but I noticed it shows my Klipsch bookshelf sized surrounds RS 52 IIS as large speakers which doesn't necessarily surprise me as they are pretty hefty for what I would consider satellites so my question is what would the low end cutoff be to the sub in this instance? Should this be the case or should I go in and change them to small?
Unless your speakers can go down to 20 Hz with a fairly flat response you want to set your speakers to small and allow your sub to handle the lowest octaves. I'm guessing 80 to 100 Hz crossover.
post #3443 of 3779 Old 01-02-2015, 10:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 864 Post(s)
Liked: 1141
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCaron View Post
That's not unusual except for the smallest of speakers. Set them as small and xover at 80.
post #3444 of 3779 Old 01-02-2015, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highd3f View Post
jsc79,

I have found that my system sounds best when not using settings set by YPAO. It kills the bass, makes everything sound weak and dull. I believe that if you already have a good speaker system you do not need to use room correction. Instead, try to fix the room itself instead of letting a computer program control your sound.
I tried YPAO about a dozen times but always felt the sound was not up to what my set up should be.
Then taking the advice of someone a long way back on this thread, I ran YPAO from just one mike position.
Couldn't believe how much better it was and was one happy camper.
Give it a try. It costs nothing.
post #3445 of 3779 Old 01-03-2015, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Does anyone have problems with low subwoofer signal from their aventage receivers? I have a 1030 and to even get the woofer to start really moving I need to use a y splitter and have the sub gain at about 2pm and +3 on the receiver.

I ran ypao and adjusted the gain until the sub was at 0db. There was virtually no sound output at this level. I increased it up to +5 on the receiver and it still wasn't satisfactory.

I have read about some of the non aventage receivers having low sub output.

I tried running it without the y splitter and there was even less output.

I have front speakers set to small and crossed at 80hz. I am using the blue jeans lc1 for cable.

I didn't mess with the sub trim, as that seemed like it was for minor tweaking.

Anyone else run into this?
post #3446 of 3779 Old 01-03-2015, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by john hunter View Post
I tried YPAO about a dozen times but always felt the sound was not up to what my set up should be.
Then taking the advice of someone a long way back on this thread, I ran YPAO from just one mike position.
Couldn't believe how much better it was and was one happy camper.
Give it a try. It costs nothing.
Funny thing-I wanted to try the YPAO again, since not really happy with the original settings (4 mic positions), and I rceall somebody saying that if you use more than one position, basically it averages the result amongst all of the positions, so basically you are sacrificing the main postion for the others. Just wondering if others have found that they get the best results from one position v multiple.
Be interested in feedback.
Thanks
post #3447 of 3779 Old 01-03-2015, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmunster2 View Post
Funny thing-I wanted to try the YPAO again, since not really happy with the original settings (4 mic positions), and I rceall somebody saying that if you use more than one position, basically it averages the result amongst all of the positions, so basically you are sacrificing the main postion for the others. Just wondering if others have found that they get the best results from one position v multiple.
Be interested in feedback.
Thanks
If you keep the positions close with in a foot or two I get better results. with positons further apart the result is ok at each sitting location.
post #3448 of 3779 Old 01-03-2015, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc79 View Post
Does anyone have problems with low subwoofer signal from their aventage receivers? I have a 1030 and to even get the woofer to start really moving I need to use a y splitter and have the sub gain at about 2pm and +3 on the receiver.

I ran ypao and adjusted the gain until the sub was at 0db. There was virtually no sound output at this level. I increased it up to +5 on the receiver and it still wasn't satisfactory.

I have read about some of the non aventage receivers having low sub output.

I tried running it without the y splitter and there was even less output.

I have front speakers set to small and crossed at 80hz. I am using the blue jeans lc1 for cable.

I didn't mess with the sub trim, as that seemed like it was for minor tweaking.

Anyone else run into this?
I had a lot of trouble with my 820 ended up with a factory reset and re did ypao to get a better result. You also have to get used to Yamaha eq your system flat where the other receivers may-boost the lower lfe to give you more output
post #3449 of 3779 Old 01-03-2015, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
That's not unusual except for the smallest of speakers. Set them as small and xover at 80.
What about my tower RF-52 II's should I also set these to small and cross over at 80?

Thanks

Steve
post #3450 of 3779 Old 01-03-2015, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Initially my YPAO was a mess with my B&W system (cx a5000) ...the sound was way too bright in my opinion.

What I did is I used the flat natural settings, copied them into manual, tamed the upper frequencies and now I'm extremely happy with how it sounds... it sounds much better than the Pure Direct mode.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Aventage Rxa 1030 Receiver , Yamaha Rxa2030bl Aventage Home Theater Receiver , Yamaha Rxa3030bl Aventage Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread