The "Official" Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A1030, RX-A2030, RX-A3030 and CX-A5000/MX-A5000 Thread - Page 122 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 64Likes
post #3631 of 3653 Old 04-14-2015, 10:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I would like to add my own image to the audio wallpaper for the Yamaha rx-a3040 could someone please direct me in the right direction. Thank You
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3632 of 3653 Unread 04-14-2015, 10:54 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi guys,

I am getting a CX A 5000 delivered today and will compare it to the Marantz AV7702, as I will buy either of the two units as an upgrade to my existing pre pro.

However I have a couple of questions on the setup which someone might hopefully be able to answer:

1. I am using active speakers, an Oppo 103D Blu Ray Player and a TV. The Oppo has two HDMI outs and can be set up in a way that one HDMI carries the sound information only and the other HDMI carries the actual movie data stream.
My plan was to connect the audio HDMI with the Yamaha and then the other HDMI directly with the TV.

Is there a possibility to activate the OSD for the Yamaha without having an HDMI connection from the processor to the TV?

2. I think I read "somewhere" that the initial setup can be done via browser as well if the Yamaha is connected to the network.
Could someone enlighten me how this is done? I seem to remember that you have to enter the processor´s IP in the browser? How do I know which IP the Yamaha got assigned in my network?

3. I am currently using a Velodyne DD12 Woofer which got a room EQ build in. This is working pretty fine for me and the bass is perfect as it is.
My speakers are all set to 80hz and below that the woofer takes over, which means that the build in EQ does its work as well.
Now when using YPAO is there a way to keep the above described setup, so the Yamaha´s room EQ does only take care of the frequencies above 80 HZ?

4. I read that you can run YPAO from multiple positions.
Is there any benefit of doing this or would it be sufficient to just position the tripod thingy at my main listening position? Just wondering if the whole EQ gets more precise the more measure points it has.

Thanks a lot for your feedback! I am really new to all this fancy stuff as my current processor is a good 10 years old and as basic as it gets!
post #3633 of 3653 Unread 04-15-2015, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 230
^ Check your router for a list of DHCP clients. You should see the Yamaha and its IP address.

In a web browser if you just type the IP address you get a simple control interface. Add /setup after the IP address and you get the full web setup interface.
post #3634 of 3653 Unread 04-15-2015, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinKnight View Post
I would like to add my own image to the audio wallpaper for the Yamaha rx-a3040 could someone please direct me in the right direction. Thank You

You can only choose between the 3 wallpaper images that Yamaha provides (see p. 139 of the manual).

I once made a utility to customize the wallpaper (and any front panel or GUI text strings) on older models, but that relied on the CD firmware update method and won't work on the 3040. It would be great if we could make mods to the new models, but they use a completely different way of encrypting the firmware (and I don't have the time to spend on it right now).
AustinKnight likes this.
post #3635 of 3653 Unread 04-15-2015, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I put some time into this , looks like it might be fun. I will keep you posted. Thanks for the Reply
post #3636 of 3653 Unread 04-15-2015, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by REM Germany View Post
Hi guys,

I am getting a CX A 5000 delivered today and will compare it to the Marantz AV7702, as I will buy either of the two units as an upgrade to my existing pre pro.

However I have a couple of questions on the setup which someone might hopefully be able to answer:

1. I am using active speakers, an Oppo 103D Blu Ray Player and a TV. The Oppo has two HDMI outs and can be set up in a way that one HDMI carries the sound information only and the other HDMI carries the actual movie data stream.
My plan was to connect the audio HDMI with the Yamaha and then the other HDMI directly with the TV.

Is there a possibility to activate the OSD for the Yamaha without having an HDMI connection from the processor to the TV?

2. I think I read "somewhere" that the initial setup can be done via browser as well if the Yamaha is connected to the network.
Could someone enlighten me how this is done? I seem to remember that you have to enter the processor´s IP in the browser? How do I know which IP the Yamaha got assigned in my network?

3. I am currently using a Velodyne DD12 Woofer which got a room EQ build in. This is working pretty fine for me and the bass is perfect as it is.
My speakers are all set to 80hz and below that the woofer takes over, which means that the build in EQ does its work as well.
Now when using YPAO is there a way to keep the above described setup, so the Yamaha´s room EQ does only take care of the frequencies above 80 HZ?

4. I read that you can run YPAO from multiple positions.
Is there any benefit of doing this or would it be sufficient to just position the tripod thingy at my main listening position? Just wondering if the whole EQ gets more precise the more measure points it has.

Thanks a lot for your feedback! I am really new to all this fancy stuff as my current processor is a good 10 years old and as basic as it gets!

I hope that you gives us feedback about there performence in 2ch music

Last edited by w1000i; 04-15-2015 at 08:34 AM.
post #3637 of 3653 Unread 04-15-2015, 09:05 AM

Thanks for the help so far!

The pro arrived today and I will tinker around a bit later today. Marantz is on it´s way as well and should arrive in time for the weekend.

I plan to write up a review of both and will of course post it here as well.
post #3638 of 3653 Unread 04-15-2015, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just bought a 1030. Everything seems great. I ran the auto speaker setup and I think my powered sub is set a little too light.

I hooked up my audio signal generator and connected it to the front audio input. The signal generator is putting out one volt, but I am not getting any sound. I have the front input set to analog. Any idea where I am screwing up?

Bob Nelson

Martinized and Parkerized 9500LC

Slatts
post #3639 of 3653 Unread 04-15-2015, 12:45 PM

Ok, got the new pre pro all set up and was able to get the first impressions.

To be honest I am a bit disappointed with the SQ at the moment, still trying to figure out what is wrong though.

When running the automated speaker setup my rears where set to 10 meters distance for whatever reason.

In reality the distance is something like 3 meters. Any idea how this can happen?

I am still digging through the manual, but I am a bit overwhelmed with the functions offered.

Is there a setting/mode to ensure that I listen to Blu Rays/CDs without any DSP Programms or other fancy stuff, while the speaker management is still active (speakers set to small, crossover at 80hz, rest supposed to be covered by the sub)? I just want to make sure that when I watch E.g. Iron man in DTS HD that there are no dsp programms/virtual speakers or whatever ruining the sound.

Right now my old preprocessor seems to sound a lot better in DTS than the Yamaha does with DTS HD. i am pretty sure that there is something fishy going on, just trying to figure out what exactly it is.

Running a firmware upgrade as we speak as well.
post #3640 of 3653 Unread 04-15-2015, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 70
OK, couple of things that can throw the sound off and you would want to check on the Yamaha; (this would pertain to any newer receiver/pre pro regardless of brand although the nomenclature of the below features may be different in there respective setup menus)

-Parametric EQ: Set to "Through" this will bypass any YPAO equalization
-DSP: "Standard" This is direct sound and not utilizing any DSP filters
-Set sub to Normal and Mono if utilizing subwoofers
-Dynamic Range "Maximum"
-Adaptive DSP level "Off"
-VPS set to "OFF"

Run YPAO again but only utilize one position, then use a SPL meter and the test tone that is generated to manually adjust volume on each speaker to the same level. YPAO is good but can make mistakes.

If you do the above and like the sound, then you would want to tweek the above settings one at a time, trying out the different settings to get the sound that you really like.

Best of luck

With my CX-a5000 it took me 2 weeks of fiddling and tweaking to get the sound where I like it, which is not uncommon as newer receivers/pre pros have a lot of different settings to play with.

P.S. Make sure any blue ray/DVD player you have connected via HDMI to your Yamaha is set to "Bit Stream" as its output format

Yamaha CX-A5000, ATI AT 2007 Amp (7X200W), ATI AT 2004 Amp (4X200W)Klipsch RF 63's - Main, RB 61's - Front heights, RC-62 - Center, RS-62's - Surround, RS-52's - Rear Surround, 2 Rythmik DS-1510 DIY Subwoofers (With PEQ600XLR3 Amp) each connected with Antimode 8033S-II, Oppo BDP-95, MMF-7.1, Project Phono Box RS, XBox 360, XBox One, Oppo HA-1, TEAC PD-501HR transport

Last edited by smitty8451; 04-15-2015 at 03:39 PM. Reason: expansion
post #3641 of 3653 Unread 04-15-2015, 11:05 PM

Thanks Smitty,

I will have a look at all the settings you mentioned and report back.

Meanwhile I think I found the reason for YPAO setting my rear speakers to 10 meter distance rather than 3 meters. I am using active speakers and I am transferring the signal to the rears with one of the Audifly Revel "wireless Audio" units.

Maybe the slight delay by the Revel causes the YPAO to think that the rears are further back than they actually are.

The distance of the Fronts, Sub and Center was spot on and matched exactly what I had manually stored in my old processor.
post #3642 of 3653 Unread 04-16-2015, 03:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by REM Germany View Post
Thanks Smitty,

I will have a look at all the settings you mentioned and report back.

Meanwhile I think I found the reason for YPAO setting my rear speakers to 10 meter distance rather than 3 meters. I am using active speakers and I am transferring the signal to the rears with one of the Audifly Revel "wireless Audio" units.

Maybe the slight delay by the Revel causes the YPAO to think that the rears are further back than they actually are.

The distance of the Fronts, Sub and Center was spot on and matched exactly what I had manually stored in my old processor.
Correct.
post #3643 of 3653 Unread 04-16-2015, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty8451 View Post
-DSP: "Standard" This is direct sound and not utilizing any DSP filters

I'm sure you meant "Straight", not "Standard". "Standard" is a movie DSP mode.
post #3644 of 3653 Unread 04-16-2015, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post
I'm sure you meant "Straight", not "Standard". "Standard" is a movie DSP mode.
Yep, your correct I did mean straight. Thanks for the clarification as I don't wish to direct anyone in the wrong direction.

Yamaha CX-A5000, ATI AT 2007 Amp (7X200W), ATI AT 2004 Amp (4X200W)Klipsch RF 63's - Main, RB 61's - Front heights, RC-62 - Center, RS-62's - Surround, RS-52's - Rear Surround, 2 Rythmik DS-1510 DIY Subwoofers (With PEQ600XLR3 Amp) each connected with Antimode 8033S-II, Oppo BDP-95, MMF-7.1, Project Phono Box RS, XBox 360, XBox One, Oppo HA-1, TEAC PD-501HR transport
post #3645 of 3653 Unread 04-16-2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty8451 View Post
Yep, your correct I did mean straight. Thanks for the clarification as I don't wish to direct anyone in the wrong direction.

Ha, I managed to figure that out myself.

Just had the second round of tinkering and the sound is getting better. Now the only problem I have is that the automated room correction fubars my bass up.

I use a Velodyne DD and what I will do tomorrow is to disable the Yamaha EQ and let the Velodyne take care of the corrections below 80 hz. At the moment the bass is completely out of control...I did follow the instructions and put my Velodyne in bypass modus, put the crossover at the sub to max.

Then I should In theory have put the volume at the sub to 1/2 of max Volume. Volume at the Velo goes up to 40 and putting it up to 10 already is way to loud during the sweeping of the Yamaha.

So I didnt manage to get the bass under control yet...at least not to the level that my old processor and the Velo produced.

Will try my luck again tomorrow, getting to late for bass sweeping...

Surprisingly I found the Yamaha so far pretty close to my old Av with 2 channel, even though my old unit is famous for the great 2 channel performance.

On the other hand the HT performance feels worse at the moment, but I blame the bass right now.

I was expecting a huge jump in SQ coming from a DTS only pre pro to a DTS HD unit, but the "Wow" effect is still missing.
post #3646 of 3653 Unread 04-16-2015, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 26
With the recent announcement of DTS:X, has there been any word on when, and on which products, Yamaha might offer support for it?
post #3647 of 3653 Unread 04-16-2015, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillcox View Post
With the recent announcement of DTS:X, has there been any word on when, and on which products, Yamaha might offer support for it?

It's been announced DTS:X will be in new Yamaha products coming out in 2015 (no specific model numbers). I've seen no word that any existing models will be upgraded. Probably the models supporting Atmos (2040/3040) could also support DTS:X, but that's supposition and most likely won't happen.
post #3648 of 3653 Unread 04-16-2015, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It's been announced DTS:X will be in new Yamaha products coming out in 2015 (no specific model numbers). I've seen no word that any existing models will be upgraded. Probably the models supporting Atmos (2040/3040) could also support DTS:X, but that's supposition and most likely won't happen.
Hmm, I'm actually more interested in DTS:X than Dolby Atmos since from what I have read DTS:X won't require overhead speakers. I currently have an 11.2 setup with front and rear presence speakers and don't want to move them.
azz7686 likes this.
post #3649 of 3653 Unread 04-16-2015, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

^ The old front/rear presence positions are also supported for Atmos by Yamaha (you can download the manual addendum that comes with the Atmos software update for the 3040). Probably overhead (ceiling) speakers will be a bit more convincing, but I think that will be the same for DTS:X.
post #3650 of 3653 Unread 04-16-2015, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I got the RX-A830 and I almost got the RX-A1030. However, it would have been much heavier and it would have been too big in the depth to fit in my cabinet. Did I really miss out on the sound quality it offered, or is the difference negligible?
post #3651 of 3653 Unread 04-17-2015, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
^ The old front/rear presence positions are also supported for Atmos by Yamaha (you can download the manual addendum that comes with the Atmos software update for the 3040). Probably overhead (ceiling) speakers will be a bit more convincing, but I think that will be the same for DTS:X.
That doesn't surprise me that the current presence speaker locations are supported by Yamaha with Dolby Atmos (they'd be fools not to, or at least claim to). However, the DTS folks are making a point of the claim that DTS:X will support speakers in a number of locations and I haven't seen that claim by Dolby for Atmos. I guess only time and experience will tell how they compare in that regard.
post #3652 of 3653 Unread 04-20-2015, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Standing by, REM Germany for your input after you get comfy with the CX-A5000. This Pre at its price point has my undivided attention regarding AV gear at the moment...

Last edited by Crunchyriff; 04-21-2015 at 02:01 AM.
post #3653 of 3653 Unread Today, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillcox View Post

Would be nice if Yamaha could/would offer a replacement board to offer some of the new features. I'd be willing to spend on one if they did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Aventage Rxa 1030 Receiver , Yamaha Rxa2030bl Aventage Home Theater Receiver , Yamaha Rxa3030bl Aventage Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread