The "Official" Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A1030, RX-A2030, RX-A3030 and CX-A5000/MX-A5000 Thread - Page 125 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #3721 of 3730 Old 07-08-2015, 11:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 1109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
I have been there done that on the video side. Using a sensor with HCFR. When my ISF guy came he wondered what happened... Often I think you can do as much harm as good. Like Audyssey it's not perfect by any means. Just like Audyssey there are a lot of variables that come into play.

I was simply surprised that YPAO didn't even try to EQ anything below 100Hz... after I have read other wise all this time.
Agreed. Just wanted to make sure that you understood that trading in your receiver for one with Audyssey doesnt mean that your sub will sound great all of a sudden.
Most major sub issues are due to poor placement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3722 of 3730 Old 07-14-2015, 02:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Currently reading through this entire thread, but wanted to post to see if there were any impressions of the A2030 vs the Denon 4520ci and/or Marantz SR7008. I recently sold my Marantz SR6004 which was praised for its sound quality and musicality when it was a new model. I tend to agree, I loved the sound, but it had HDMI issues and it was time to move on. I realize there are spec differences in the 3 units I've mentioned, like number of channels etc, but my main concern is sound above all else. At the moment, I only have a 3.1 setup using Klipsch RF5 mains and RC7 center (known for being on the "bright" side, but not as much as the RF3's), and don't plan to have more than a 5.2 setup anytime soon. My current room is a bit difficult, so the room correction may play a big part here. However, I don't think we plan to be in this house much longer than 6 months. That said, I don't see the next move having a 20x30 living room or anything. For reference, here is a picture of my current setup, taken from my main listening position. The couch I'm sitting on is up against the wall, which opens into the kitchen to my right. The left front speaker in the picture is about 15" from the side wall and 6" from the back wall. The right front speaker is also 6" from the wall behind it, but has no wall to the right of it. Someone mentioned in another thread to toe the mains in. They are toed in about 15 degrees, though hard to tell from the pic.

Side note, My RX-V1700 is currently in place of the SR6004 until I decide which unit to go with. I definitely prefer the sound of the Marantz to the Yamaha, but I also had run AudysseyXT a few times until I was satisfied, and haven't run YPAO on the Yamaha in here, though I did play with some of the manual EQ functions (distance, speaker levels, speaker size, etc). I hear the Aventage series do sound better though?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1805 (2) (1).jpg
Views:	18
Size:	365.8 KB
ID:	830322  
post #3723 of 3730 Old Yesterday, 05:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 1109
Thinking seriously about buying a 2030. Any issues I should know about before buying?
post #3724 of 3730 Old Yesterday, 11:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01svtL View Post
Currently reading through this entire thread, but wanted to post to see if there were any impressions of the A2030 vs the Denon 4520ci and/or Marantz SR7008.
I sold my RX-A820 and initially upgraded to a Marantz SR7008 ($850). As I added height/presence speakers and adding a new (real) subwoofer I wanted Audyssey XT32 (handles dual subs). I have had it for a couple of days now as the first one would go into protection mode (for no good reason). I have used the SR series before and all and all I'm very impressed with them.

One feature I can't replace is Dialogue Lift and with my center under the screen vocals bother the heck out of me. So when I found the RX-A2030 ($799) for a great price I figured I would give it a try. Both have 60-day return and I only cover return shipping. It should arrive today. I don't expect it to be much different than the RX-A820 outside of nine amps so I can do 9.2.

For me it's...

SR70008
  • Audyssey XT32 (better EQ and handles two subwoofers)
  • Separate crossovers (some what irrelevant since outside of the height/presence speakers I can live with one and Yamaha can't send much bass to the presence speakers as it can't even be set to small or large).
  • Perhaps Audyssey DSX - upmixer for 9.2 channels
  • You can turn off the display
  • Save/Restore (all) settings to/from your PC

RX-A2030
  • Dialogue Lift via front presence speakers

Build quality and styling is very close. If it wasn't for Dialogue Lift I'd probably stay/go with the SR7008. My decision will be based on... if the sub/subs sound as well with the RX-A2030 I'll probably pick it. If not, I'll live with the low vocals and go with the SR7008. I'm guessing you can't go wrong with either...

Last edited by Charles R; Yesterday at 02:10 PM.
post #3725 of 3730 Old Yesterday, 11:50 AM

Quote:
I sold my RX-A820 and initially upgraded to a Marantz SR7008 ($850). As I added height/presence speakers and adding a new (real) subwoofer I wanted Audyssey XT32 (handles dual subs). I have had it for a couple of days now as the first one would go into protection mode (for no good reason). I have used the SR series before and all and all I'm very impressed with them.

One feature I can't replace is Dialogue Lift and with my center under the screen vocals bother the heck out of me. So when I found the RX-A2030 ($799) for a great price I figured I would give it a try. Both have 60-day return and I only cover return shipping. It should arrive today. I don't expect it to be much different than the RX-A820 outside of nine amps so I can do 9.2.

For me it's...

SR70008
Audyssey XT32 (better EQ and handles two subwoofers)
Separate crossovers (some what irrelevant since outside of the height/presence speakers I can live with one and Yamaha can't send much bass to the presence speakers as it can't even be set to small or large).
Perhaps Audyssey DSX - upmixer for 9.2 channels

RX-A2030
Dialogue Lift via front presence speakers

Build quality and styling is very close. If it wasn't for Dialogue Lift I'd probably stay/go with the SR7008. My decision will be based on... if the sub/subs sound as well with the RX-A2030 I'll probably pick it. If not, I'll live with the low vocals and go with the SR7008. I'm guessing you can't go wrong with either...
Cool. Let me know what you think and which one you decide to keep? How far under your tv is the center?
post #3726 of 3730 Old Yesterday, 12:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Cool. Let me know what you think and which one you decide to keep? How far under your tv is the center?
UPS just dropped it off while I was wrapping up cutting the grass. As you can see from the image my center is rather low as the screen itself is only 22" off the floor. Even pointing it directly at me I find myself staring at the floor (at times) and the vocals never blend into the image. I find it distracting.

With the RX-A820 I was using speakers outside of the fronts as presence speakers and it lifted the vocals nicely. But the RX-820 is only 7.2 and I couldn't use rear surrounds at the same time. So when I added the presence/height speakers above the screen (you can almost see them - I know they should be wider apart but I can hide the wires this way plus it keeps them further away from the fronts) I needed to go 9.2. This image shows the two subs I was testing...

Frankly, I would base my decision on which one offers the most features you'll use.

Last edited by Charles R; Yesterday at 01:02 PM.
post #3727 of 3730 Old Yesterday, 09:47 PM

I see. That's an impressive room! Mine's just going to go in the living room haha.
post #3728 of 3730 Old Today, 06:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Let me know what you think and which one you decide to keep?
Short story I decided to go with the Marantz SR7008. Long story Dialogue Lift worked rather nicely with the presence speakers although at the same time the unfocused vocals tend to "wash out" much of the directionality of everything else. Plus when the presence (height with the SR7008) speakers are used for vocals you lose the effect of a larger sound field. As the presence speakers are dominated by the vocals rather than expanding the "stage"

My usage is rather unique and as such so is my "deciding factors" and it certainly doesn't make one better than the other. Rather the Marantz simply offers more features I find useful.
post #3729 of 3730 Old Today, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:

SR70008
  • Audyssey XT32 (better EQ and handles two subwoofers)
  • Separate crossovers (some what irrelevant since outside of the height/presence speakers I can live with one and Yamaha can't send much bass to the presence speakers as it can't even be set to small or large).
  • Perhaps Audyssey DSX - upmixer for 9.2 channels
  • You can turn off the display
  • Save/Restore (all) settings to/from your PC

RX-A2030
  • Dialogue Lift via front presence speakers
A2030 will eq 2 subs debatable if Audyssey is better at it.
A2030 will let you set cross over for each pair of speakers
post #3730 of 3730 Old Today, 09:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PretzelFisch View Post
A2030 will eq 2 subs debatable if Audyssey is better at it.
A2030 will let you set cross over for each pair of speakers
The "Official" Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A1030, RX-A2030, RX-A3030 and CX-A5000/MX-A5000 Thread
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Aventage Rxa 1030 Receiver , Yamaha Rxa2030bl Aventage Home Theater Receiver , Yamaha Rxa3030bl Aventage Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread