The "Official" Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A1030, RX-A2030, RX-A3030 and CX-A5000/MX-A5000 Thread - Page 130 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 103Likes

post #3871 of 4078 Old 12-24-2015, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontalley View Post
Set your speakers to stereo and small in speaker configuration.

I don't understand why I should do this. As stated, I'm getting sub activity everywhere, including my ipad mini wireless to the Yamaha receiver. Just not with my laptop.

Also can someone help with the resolution question above.

Espo77's living room equipment: RECEIVER: Yamaha RX-A3030- SPEAKERS: Boston Acoustics M350, M25 center, surrounds, and front heights-
BLU-RAY: Oppo BDP103D- SUBWOOFER: HSU VTF-15H MK2- dedicated circuits for A/V- TV: Vizio P55C-1
Auralex Acoustics LENRD - Auralex Acoustics Roominator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3872 of 4078 Old 12-31-2015, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Has anyone found an IR repeater that works with the 2030?

I have tried the "Next Generation Remote Control Extender" RF to IR repeater with no success with the 2030.

My receiver is not in direct line of sight of the listening area and I am trying to find an RF to IR repeater that will allow me to use the remote from anywhere without direct line of sight.
post #3873 of 4078 Old 12-31-2015, 11:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
^that is the best course of action

post #3874 of 4078 Old 12-31-2015, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 203
I have been trying to find something similar that I can use with all the equipment in the rack. So far I have not found anything, I think Logitech has their $300 remote hub that comes ir connectors. You can use the app for the phone.
post #3875 of 4078 Old 01-03-2016, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 59
So Im reading the manual and read all these threads but still don't exactly know what all can be saved in a scene? Any help would be appreciated with this it is confusing.

Spoiler!
post #3876 of 4078 Old 01-03-2016, 06:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by azz7686 View Post
So Im reading the manual and read all these threads but still don't exactly know what all can be saved in a scene? Any help would be appreciated with this it is confusing.
Set everything - including the source, the name and icon you want to use for it on screen (so you can tell apart the 8 additional scenes beyond the four scene buttons on the remote), and the sound program you want that scene to default to (Straight, Surround, 7Channel Stereo, or whatever you prefer) - and then memorize the scene. I think it can even memorize an initial volume level for a scene.

Some things on the Options button, like your setting for Extended Surround, are global. I don't think that memorizing a scene allows you to make it depart from a different global setting you make later, but you could experiment and see what happens. (I just set Extended Surround to Auto and leave it there.)
azz7686 likes this.

post #3877 of 4078 Old 01-03-2016, 08:03 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2499 Post(s)
Liked: 1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by azz7686 View Post
Go to the Scene settings and everything that can be saved is displayed.
azz7686 likes this.
post #3878 of 4078 Old 01-04-2016, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Thanks guys this helps me tremendously!!!

Spoiler!
post #3879 of 4078 Old 01-26-2016, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Anthem AVM 50v 3D(Used in Mint condition) or the CX-A5000. What would you choose. My setup is 5.1 with the. 1080p OLED. Not going 4k anytime soon.
post #3880 of 4078 Old 01-26-2016, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 55
quick question about RX-A2030

I have a question. I'm interested in buying a RX-A2030. I want to use my main speakers as set to LARGE but I also want to use my subwoofers. I'm confused by the online manual. If I set my speakers to Large I don't get subwoofer bass? In that case I can set my speakers as SMALL but set the crossover cutoff at 30Hz. But I don't want my subwoofer to only pickup 30Hz and below. So my question is, can you manually choose the crossover number for the subwoofer, for example 200, 160, 140, 120, 100, 90, 80, 60, etc..... That's the way my old Yamaha receiver was but I don't see anything in the manual about this. Thanks in advance guys!
post #3881 of 4078 Old 01-26-2016, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedhontz View Post
I have a question. I'm interested in buying a RX-A2030. I want to use my main speakers as set to LARGE but I also want to use my subwoofers. I'm confused by the online manual. If I set my speakers to Large I don't get subwoofer bass? In that case I can set my speakers as SMALL but set the crossover cutoff at 30Hz. But I don't want my subwoofer to only pickup 30Hz and below. So my question is, can you manually choose the crossover number for the subwoofer, for example 200, 160, 140, 120, 100, 90, 80, 60, etc..... That's the way my old Yamaha receiver was but I don't see anything in the manual about this. Thanks in advance guys!
I am guessing you know that if you set your speakers to small you set the crossover for the low frequencies to be picked up by the subwoofer. All Aventage Receivers give you the ability to set the cross over frequency when you set the speakers to small. When you set the speakers to large then essentially, the subwoofer is not being used. You are using the speakers for low frequencies.

I assume you also know that subwoofers can be damaged if run at high frequencies. They aren't meant to be full range speakers. So using the subs and speakers the way they were meant to be used will give you the best performance. You might want to consider buying full range speakers and get rid of the subwoofer. Look at the Tekton Design Pendragon as an example. There are others out there. I happen to have those and run them with my sub but I have set the gain on the sub down significantly since the Pendragons are full range and provide a lot of bass to a low level. I am using the sub where it performs at its best in frequencies below 40 hz.

On my RX-A3000 which I just replaced with a CX-A5100 I set my speakers to small and a crossover of 80hz for my surrounds, center and presence speakers. For my mains I set at a crossover frequency of 40hz. My sub manufacturer has a guide that tells me what to set the cross over frequency at based on speaker type/brand being used.

Last edited by ptalar; 01-26-2016 at 06:58 PM.
post #3882 of 4078 Old 01-26-2016, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
I have the CX-A5000 and even though it's not a receiver it is in the same family as your 2030. I found that when you set the front speakers to large if you then go into the subwoofer setting there is an additional option titled "Extra Bass" once you turn that on then you will have your subs with your main speakers being full range. There is not a way to set your crossover on the speakers you set as large BUT when I did this and ran a sweep with REW I found the crossover on the actual sub determines the low pass frequency as it looks like the Yamaha passes frequencies below 120hz as the default. So I have my Klipsch La Scala II set as large and my crossover on my sub set to about 55Hz as my cutoff and they are both active when playing 2 channel or 11 channel stereo. Since I listen to more music than watch movies I ran YPAO set all the speakers to small with there appropriate cutoff (80hz), then copied preset 1 to preset 2. I then went into preset 2 and made the changes to the front speakers setting them to large. Now when I listen to music I use preset 2 and when I watch movies I use preset 1. My only grip is there is only 2 presets I do wish they had a couple of more for more configurations. Also as a side note you can assign those speaker presets to specific scene settings meaning you can assign scene one to your blue ray input and in the scene options assign preset 1. For your music or other input that you wish to use your large front speakers and subs together, assign the scene to that input and under the scene options assign preset 2 to it.

best of luck

Yamaha CX-A5000, ATI AT 2007 Amp, ATI AT 2004 Amp, Klipsch La Scala II- Main, RB 61's - Front heights, RC-62 - Center, RS-62's - Surround, RS-52's - Rear Surround, 2 Rythmik DS-1510 DIY Subwoofers each connected with Antimode Dual Core 2, Oppo BDP-95, MMF-7.1, Project Phono Box RS, XBox 360, XBox One, Oppo HA-1, TEAC PD-501HR transport, Atech Fabrication 7000 fanless HTPC and TASCAM DA-3000 SS Recorder, Kramer VS-88A Matrix Switch, Rogue Audio Pharaoh Int amp, Sony HAPZ1-ES
post #3883 of 4078 Old 01-26-2016, 06:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If you haven't yet (though it appears you have), download the 2030/3030 manual (look at the first post in this thread for the link to the 2030 product page and instructions for where on that page to find the manual).

In the pdf of the manual, search for the Extra Bass setting. It's on the Setup > Speaker Configuration menu in my 1030 but on the Option menu on the 2030/3030, which lets it be set differently for each "Scene" you setup on the 2030/3030.

Turning Extra Bass on lets you have the front mains' low bass played by both the front mains and the subwoofer.

The bass management crossover point is set globally on the Speaker Configuration menu on my 1030 - but appears to be settable individually for each pair of speakers in the 2030 and 3030. Search for "cross" to find it, as Yamaha sometimes treats "crossover" as one word and sometimes as two. (I use the 80 Hz standard promulgated by George Lucas's THX system, and now used in most systems, so it's presumed by most disk publishers.)

Last edited by Philnick; 01-27-2016 at 08:31 AM.
post #3884 of 4078 Old 01-27-2016, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post
If you haven't yet (though it appears you have), download the 2030/3030 manual (look at the first post in this thread for the link to the 2030 product page and instructions for where on that page to find the manual).

In the pdf of the manual, search for the Extra Bass setting. It's on the Setup > Speaker Configuration menu in my 1030 but on the Option menu on the 2030/3030, which lets it be set differently for each "Scene" you setup on the 2030/3030.

Turning Extra Bass on lets you have the front mains' low bass played by both the front mains and the subwoofer.

The bass management crossover point is set globally on the Speaker Configuration menu on my 1030 - but appears to be settable individually for each pair of speakers in the 2030 and 3030. Search for "cross" to find it, as Yamaha sometimes treats "crossover" as one word and sometimes as two. (I use the 80 Hz standard promulgated by George Lucas's THX system, and now used in most systems, so it's presumed by most disk publishers.)
What I'm trying to accomplish is this. Right now I have a Sony ES STR-ZA3000ES receiver and it's actually newer than the 2030. Great receiver, great sound, but no bass management. Currently, if I set my front speakers to LARGE, the subwoofers play at 120Hz. If I want my subwoofers to play at 80Hz and under, I have to set my front speakers to SMALL and then set the frequency cutoff on my front mains to 80Hz and then the subwoofers will kick in at 80Hz. This robs my full range Klipsch RF-7's of a lot of bass they can put out. But if I want that bass from the Klipsch, I have to set them to LARGE and then that automatically sets my subwoofers to 120Hz which is too much bass for my subwoofers. I have (4) subwoofers due to the horrible floor plan and bass null zones. But when the subwoofers are playing at 120Hz they are too boomy and muddy, at 80Hz they are perfect, and if I set my front speakers to SMALL and set a cutoff frequency of 40Hz for example, then the subwoofers are only playing 40Hz and under and don't sound very musical at all. So, I want a receiver that I can just pick the subwoofer frequency. I should have an option from 200HZ, 160HZ, 140HZ, 120HZ, 110HZ, 100HZ, 90HZ, 80HZ, 60HZ, 40HZ. My goal is to run my full range speakers as full range or have them cut off at 30 or 40Hz and have my subwoofers kick in at 80Hz and under, not 120Hz and under. So, will I be able to do that with the RX-A2030 or not? Thanks in advance!
post #3885 of 4078 Old 01-27-2016, 07:01 PM

Quote:
What I'm trying to accomplish is this. Right now I have a Sony ES STR-ZA3000ES receiver and it's actually newer than the 2030. Great receiver, great sound, but no bass management. Currently, if I set my front speakers to LARGE, the subwoofers play at 120Hz. If I want my subwoofers to play at 80Hz and under, I have to set my front speakers to SMALL and then set the frequency cutoff on my front mains to 80Hz and then the subwoofers will kick in at 80Hz. This robs my full range Klipsch RF-7's of a lot of bass they can put out. But if I want that bass from the Klipsch, I have to set them to LARGE and then that automatically sets my subwoofers to 120Hz which is too much bass for my subwoofers. I have (4) subwoofers due to the horrible floor plan and bass null zones. But when the subwoofers are playing at 120Hz they are too boomy and muddy, at 80Hz they are perfect, and if I set my front speakers to SMALL and set a cutoff frequency of 40Hz for example, then the subwoofers are only playing 40Hz and under and don't sound very musical at all. So, I want a receiver that I can just pick the subwoofer frequency. I should have an option from 200HZ, 160HZ, 140HZ, 120HZ, 110HZ, 100HZ, 90HZ, 80HZ, 60HZ, 40HZ. My goal is to run my full range speakers as full range or have them cut off at 30 or 40Hz and have my subwoofers kick in at 80Hz and under, not 120Hz and under. So, will I be able to do that with the RX-A2030 or not? Thanks in advance!

I am not aware of a bass management for the subwoofer. There is a bass enhancer on some aventage models that gives you more bass on all speakers and subs. But honestly, I have full range main speakers and an SVS sub, my sub mfr said to set my brand of the full range speakers to small and the cross over frequency to 40hz. My sub sounded boomy with the full range speakers so I turned down the subwoofer gain and frankly the sub is very musical now. I had switched to the full range mains a year ago and noticed the sub became very boomy with the new full range speakers. The sound dynamics changed with the new mains. I am learning as I go on this so these are my observations. There are other ways to get the most out of full range mains and subs. It has worked well for me on my system. But I have now recently changed to the CX-A5100 pre pro.

Last edited by ptalar; 01-27-2016 at 07:08 PM.
post #3886 of 4078 Old 01-27-2016, 07:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If you tell the 2030 that the front mains are Large and turn on Extra Bass with the Option button on the 2030's remote, the mains will play all the way down, and the subwoofer will double them at 80 Hz and below, as well as playing the sub 80Hz sounds from any speakers you've designated as Small.

80Hz is the default frequency for bass management in the 2030, but for each pair of speakers (mains, sides, and rears) you can set a different crossover frequency in their configuration. Just search the manual for the word "cross" and you'll get to the page that tells you how to get to that setting. If you want to use the 80 Hz default, all you have to do is set the sides and rears to Small, the fronts to Large, and turn on Extra Bass with the Option button.

Last edited by Philnick; 01-29-2016 at 08:10 PM.
post #3887 of 4078 Old 01-27-2016, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptalar View Post
I am not aware of a bass management for the subwoofer. There is a bass enhancer on some aventage models that gives you more bass on all speakers and subs. But honestly, I have full range main speakers and an SVS sub, my sub mfr said to set my brand of the full range speakers to small and the cross over frequency to 40hz. My sub sounded boomy with the full range speakers so I turned down the subwoofer gain and frankly the sub is very musical now. I had switched to the full range mains a year ago and noticed the sub became very boomy with the new full range speakers. The sound dynamics changed with the new mains. I am learning as I go on this so these are my observations. There are other ways to get the most out of full range mains and subs. It has worked well for me on my system. But I have now recently changed to the CX-A5100 pre pro.
I have an SVS as one of my subs and they told me the opposite. But, I have done what you told me already. I forgot to mention, I use my system 99% for 2 channel music, not home theater, big difference. When watching a movie I can set my main fronts to SMALL and cutoff at 40Hz and then the subwoofers only play at 40Hz and under and on movies that a lot of sound from the subwoofers are movies have a lot of low bass. But on music, with my subs set to only pickup 40Hz and lower, there was hardly any sub sound at all. 80Hz seems to be where they are punchy on bass, and 120Hz is where they are too boomy and muddy.
post #3888 of 4078 Old 01-27-2016, 08:07 PM

Quote:
If you tell the 2040 that the front mains are Large and turn on Extra Bass with the Option button on the 2030's remote, the mains will play all the way down, and the subwoofer will double them at 80 Hz and below, as well as playing the sub 80Hz sounds from any speakers you've designated as Small.

80Hz is the default frequency for bass management in the 2030, but for each pair of speakers (mains, sides, and rears) you can set a different crossover frequency in their configuration. Just search the manual for the word "cross" and you'll get to the page that tells you how to get to that setting. If you want to use the 80 Hz default, all you have to do is set the sides and rears to Small, the fronts to Large, and turn on Extra Bass with the Option button.
This seems like the answer I'm looking for !! So, Extra Bass option on, main fronts set to LARGE and 80HZ is the default for the sub, I can live with that.
post #3889 of 4078 Old 01-28-2016, 04:49 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2499 Post(s)
Liked: 1980
Quote:
I have an SVS as one of my subs and they told me the opposite. But, I have done what you told me already. I forgot to mention, I use my system 99% for 2 channel music, not home theater, big difference. When watching a movie I can set my main fronts to SMALL and cutoff at 40Hz and then the subwoofers only play at 40Hz and under and on movies that a lot of sound from the subwoofers are movies have a lot of low bass. But on music, with my subs set to only pickup 40Hz and lower, there was hardly any sub sound at all. 80Hz seems to be where they are punchy on bass, and 120Hz is where they are too boomy and muddy.
Yes. Big difference.
There is very little content 40Hz and below in music.
post #3890 of 4078 Old 01-28-2016, 10:11 AM

Quote:

For my speakers SVS recommends a crossover of 40hz. So you have to set them to small in order to dial in the crossover frequency. I did mention some Aventage models have a bass enhancer. That also improves bass and is confirmed by another poster. Hope it works.
post #3891 of 4078 Old 01-28-2016, 06:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hi, I'm slow at grasping my settings on the Yam RX-A3030. I've been enjoying this receiver very much so far. I thought I would play around without settings for a while, tweaking and moving speakers around prior to doing the YPAO. I recently connected my new HSU VTF-15 Mk II. Now I'm running the YPAO with Angle Measurment option. I then save those settings, and can view results.
This is where I'm not grasping things. The receiver set all speakers to large, so I went to manual an set them to small and 80 Hz crossover. The levels appear to be correctly set. However I've read here that a great final level number at around zero DB would be ideal for the subwoofer. Mine is at -10DB. Everything seems good as the other speakers are at or a little above zero...+2DB, +.5 etc. As I said the sound is good, and as far as hitting reference level, no problem, but the system is screaming loud at around -10DB on the receiver.
When I changed the speaker level and perhaps a few other things in the manual setting, I'm not clear how to save this as a change to the auto setting. When I go back to the auto setting mode, it still shows the speakers are set at large. I go back to the manual setting page and it shows my changes that I want. So auto says one thing and manual another. How do I know which of these two settings I am listening to?
Also I have a SLP Meter and want to check the levels of all speakers. The receivers test tone provides the test tones for each channel, but it keeps jumping to the next speaker before I can figure out how to adjust any levels?? Directions are very vague to me, on some things...please help. Yamaha RX-A3030.
Oh, I also need the numbers that the Radio Shack SLP meters fall short on, as to the extra boost on some frequencies.

Espo77's living room equipment: RECEIVER: Yamaha RX-A3030- SPEAKERS: Boston Acoustics M350, M25 center, surrounds, and front heights-
BLU-RAY: Oppo BDP103D- SUBWOOFER: HSU VTF-15H MK2- dedicated circuits for A/V- TV: Vizio P55C-1

Last edited by Espo77; 01-28-2016 at 07:28 PM.
post #3892 of 4078 Old 01-28-2016, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hi, I'm slow at grasping my settings on the Yam RX-A3030. I've been enjoying this receiver very much so far. I thought I would play around without settings for a while, tweaking and moving speakers around prior to doing the YPAO. I recently connected my new HSU VTF-15 Mk II. Now I'm running the YPAO with Angle Measurment option. I then save those settings, and can view results.
This is where I'm not grasping things. The receiver set all speakers to large, so I went to manual an set them to small and 80 Hz crossover. The levels appear to be correctly set. However I've read here that a great final level number at around zero DB would be ideal for the subwoofer. Mine is at -10DB. Everything seems good as the other speakers are at or a little above zero...+2DB, +.5 etc. As I said the sound is good, and as far as hitting reference level, no problem, but the system is screaming loud at around -10DB on the receiver.
When I changed the speaker level and perhaps a few other things in the manual setting, I'm not clear how to save this as a change to the auto setting. When I go back to the auto setting mode, it still shows the speakers are set at large. I go back to the manual setting page and it shows my changes that I want. So auto says one thing and manual another. How do I know which of these two settings I am listening to?
Also I have a SLP Meter and want to check the levels of all speakers. The receivers test tone provides the test tones for each channel, but it keeps jumping to the next speaker before I can figure out how to adjust any levels?? Directions are very vague to me, on some things...please help. Yamaha RX-A3030.
Oh, I also need the numbers that the Radio Shack SLP meters fall short on, as to the extra boost on some frequencies.

Last edited by Espo77; 01-28-2016 at 07:27 PM.
post #3893 of 4078 Old 01-28-2016, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

...no idea why posting once turns into posts???
I'm using my iPad mini and selected "Post Quick Reply"

post #3894 of 4078 Old 01-29-2016, 06:00 PM

Quote:
If you tell the 2040 that the front mains are Large and turn on Extra Bass with the Option button on the 2030's remote, the mains will play all the way down, and the subwoofer will double them at 80 Hz and below, as well as playing the sub 80Hz sounds from any speakers you've designated as Small.

Phil, just one more question. You said above if you tell the 2040 that the front mains are large and turn on extra bass with the option on the 2030's remote. That part is confusing me. If I got a 2040 would I have better ways of accomplishing what I want to do? Or do I need a 2040 and a 2030 remote?

I'm wanting to place my order tonight and the 2040 is $150 more than the 2030. I don't see much difference between the two. I can also get the 3020 for $100 more than the 2030 but will that allow me to use the extra bass setting and have my subs set at 80z? Finally, for $300 more than the 2030, I can get a 3040. I just want to make sure I pick the model that will let me use the "extra bass" setting and also let me run my subwoofers at 80hz by default, but if one of these models will allow me to "choose" my subwoofer frequency number as 120, 100, 80, or 60. Then I'll take that model. Thanks in advance!
post #3895 of 4078 Old 01-29-2016, 07:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Phil, just one more question. You said above if you tell the 2040 that the front mains are large and turn on extra bass with the option on the 2030's remote. That part is confusing me. If I got a 2040 would I have better ways of accomplishing what I want to do? Or do I need a 2040 and a 2030 remote?

I'm wanting to place my order tonight and the 2040 is $150 more than the 2030. I don't see much difference between the two. I can also get the 3020 for $100 more than the 2030 but will that allow me to use the extra bass setting and have my subs set at 80z? Finally, for $300 more than the 2030, I can get a 3040. I just want to make sure I pick the model that will let me use the "extra bass" setting and also let me run my subwoofers at 80hz by default, but if one of these models will allow me to "choose" my subwoofer frequency number as 120, 100, 80, or 60. Then I'll take that model. Thanks in advance!
The manuals for the 2030 and 2040 are the same in this regard. You don't need to mix and match equipment. I'm sorry for the "edito" that resulted from incompletely revising what I had originally written when I only had the manual for the 2040. [I've corrected it no so no one else gets confused!] Get the 2030 unless you have a specific need for some feature the 2040 has.

The manual for the 3020 can be gotten here.

It says that the Extra Bass feature is available in the speaker configuration section, like in my 1030, so it's not something that can be memorized differently for different scenes - a feature I don't need anyway.

The main advantage of the 30x0 series over the 20x0 series is more power and more channels to play with (and maybe dual DACs) - as you're mainly a stereo guy, with only a secondary interest in home theater, that may not be a big deal to you.

The Aventages all default to 80 Hz for bass management, as that's the frequency that George Lucas' THX system has made an industry standard.

I don't think it's a good idea to use a higher frequency for the crossover, as subwoofers can sound pretty boomy, but that's up to you.

Last edited by Philnick; 01-30-2016 at 06:07 AM.
post #3896 of 4078 Old 01-30-2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
The manuals for the 2030 and 2040 are the same in this regard. You don't need to mix and match equipment. I'm sorry for the "edito" that resulted from incompletely revising what I had originally written when I only had the manual for the 2040. [I've corrected it no so no one else gets confused!] Get the 2030 unless you have a specific need for some feature the 2040 has.

The manual for the 3020 can be gotten here.

It says that the Extra Bass feature is available in the speaker configuration section, like in my 1030, so it's not something that can be memorized differently for different scenes - a feature I don't need anyway.

The main advantage of the 30x0 series over the 20x0 series is more power and more channels to play with (and maybe dual DACs) - as you're mainly a stereo guy, with only a secondary interest in home theater, that may not be a big deal to you.

The Aventages all default to 80 Hz for bass management, as that's the frequency that George Lucas' THX system has made an industry standard.

I don't think it's a good idea to use a higher frequency for the crossover, as subwoofers can sound pretty boomy, but that's up to you.
Thanks Phil,

Yes 80Hz is what I want. I bought a new Sony ES STR-ZA3000ES receiver because I have a 4K TV and the Sony ES was HDCP 2.2 compliant. I love the receiver's GUI. It is simple and so easy to understand that even soundandvision.com said an 8 year old child could setup and operate this receiver. But, when my front speakers are set to large, the subwoofer bass is set to 120Hz according to one rep and the other rep said it is set to 200. So I don't know. I just know I have boomy bass but not punchy bass. I hate to have to sell a receiver that I like and that I just bought, especially to get a Yamaha that is not 4K HDCP 2.2 compliant when I definitely want a 4K Blu-Ray player when they arrive, even though I'm passing on the Samsung 4K player that will be released Feb 14 in a couple weeks. I'm also scared to death of the GUI on the Yamaha because I've never used it before and the Sony is so simple. I run an external Adcom GFA-555 amplifier so I don't really care about the receiver's power and my router sits next to my receiver so I don't need wifi. I also have an Apple TV so I don't even need airplay. I was just wondering if the sound on the 3000 series, not power, but sound, if the sound was any better. Also if I went with the 2040 wouldn't I be getting Atmos? But I look at it like this. I'm already buying an outdated receiver because it doesn't support 4K HDCP 2.2 compliancy, so I shouldn't pay more money to get Atmos as well. My hope is that it'll have great sound and great bass that'll get me through a few good years and then I'll be able to afford a 2050 or 3050 that'll have the 4K support and the Atmos and DTS:X. But again, mainly I use the system for 2 channel music with subwoofers.
post #3897 of 4078 Old 01-30-2016, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Phil,

Yes 80Hz is what I want. I bought a new Sony ES STR-ZA3000ES receiver because I have a 4K TV and the Sony ES was HDCP 2.2 compliant. I love the receiver's GUI. It is simple and so easy to understand that even soundandvision.com said an 8 year old child could setup and operate this receiver. But, when my front speakers are set to large, the subwoofer bass is set to 120Hz according to one rep and the other rep said it is set to 200. So I don't know. I just know I have boomy bass but not punchy bass. I hate to have to sell a receiver that I like and that I just bought, especially to get a Yamaha that is not 4K HDCP 2.2 compliant when I definitely want a 4K Blu-Ray player when they arrive, even though I'm passing on the Samsung 4K player that will be released Feb 14 in a couple weeks. I'm also scared to death of the GUI on the Yamaha because I've never used it before and the Sony is so simple. I run an external Adcom GFA-555 amplifier so I don't really care about the receiver's power and my router sits next to my receiver so I don't need wifi. I also have an Apple TV so I don't even need airplay. I was just wondering if the sound on the 3000 series, not power, but sound, if the sound was any better. Also if I went with the 2040 wouldn't I be getting Atmos? But I look at it like this. I'm already buying an outdated receiver because it doesn't support 4K HDCP 2.2 compliancy, so I shouldn't pay more money to get Atmos as well. My hope is that it'll have great sound and great bass that'll get me through a few good years and then I'll be able to afford a 2050 or 3050 that'll have the 4K support and the Atmos and DTS:X. But again, mainly I use the system for 2 channel music with subwoofers.
The 2030 has the well-regarded ESS Sabre DACs. I bought the 1030 for that reason, as my first HDMI-equipped AVR. Before that I was using the multichannel analog output from my Oppo BDP-93, which is also well-regarded, though not as fancy as its 95/105 series that use the ESS Sabre DACS. I hooked them together both ways and decided that I liked the sound via HDMI better, because the pure analog link denied me the use of the YPAO room correction.

I expect that the 2030 and 3030 have one or more even better ESS Sabre DACS, but you can't go wrong in terms of pure sound with these devices.

Two tips:

(1) Don't use the "Natural Sound" option that you're presented with after running YPAO - that's actually a treble rolloff. Use YPAO Flat instead! This was confirmed for me by a tech there by email when I asked about that, from looking at the EQ curves it shows.
and
(2) Travel the sound around the room with the test tone, so you can boost the two rear channels slightly so they sound the same level as the other channels when you're facing the front speakers; the YPAO microphone doesn't take account of the pinnae behind our ears that attenuate sound from the rear! (I expect the same is true of the Audessy mike as well - the mikes are aimed at the ceiling.)

PS Oppo's Blu-ray players have dual HDMI outputs to allow users to send the video directly to the display if the AVR can't handle the latest standard - that came in with 3D. I expect that any 4K players will follow that same strategy to avoid forcing buyers to buy a new AVR at the same time, which would slow down sales of the players! So you could keep using the 2030, just sending the 4K images directly to your display. Assuming it has more than one input, the display could be connected to the 4K signals directly and to the AVR for everything else.

Last edited by Philnick; 01-30-2016 at 01:51 PM.
post #3898 of 4078 Old 02-01-2016, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Question on Scenes

I have a CX-A5000. I have an input for an Apple TV that is use for both Movies and Music. I would like to use a different scene for each - one with the front speakers set to Small (Movies- Scene 1) and a second with the front speakers set to Large (Music - Scene 2). I know I can do this by having each of the two scenes use different speaker setting patterns (1 and 2). I would only be using the Scenes for the Apple TV. I use a Pronto remote so I want to automate this.

1. Can I start the Apple TV in my standard mode I have set for that input and then select either Scene 1 or Scene 2 depending on if I watch a Movie or listen to Music?

2. The next time I start the Apple TV, will the last scene used automatically be loaded?

3. If the only thing I configure for Scene 1 or Scene 2 is the different speaker patterns, will all other settings remain the same?

Thanks for the help.

Nick
post #3899 of 4078 Old 02-02-2016, 05:16 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsiret View Post
I have a CX-A5000. I have an input for an Apple TV that is use for both Movies and Music. I would like to use a different scene for each - one with the front speakers set to Small (Movies- Scene 1) and a second with the front speakers set to Large (Music - Scene 2). I know I can do this by having each of the two scenes use different speaker setting patterns (1 and 2). I would only be using the Scenes for the Apple TV. I use a Pronto remote so I want to automate this.

1. Can I start the Apple TV in my standard mode I have set for that input and then select either Scene 1 or Scene 2 depending on if I watch a Movie or listen to Music?

2. The next time I start the Apple TV, will the last scene used automatically be loaded?

3. If the only thing I configure for Scene 1 or Scene 2 is the different speaker patterns, will all other settings remain the same?

Thanks for the help.

Nick
Having owned a CX-A5000 since they first came out and setting it up for an oppo BDP-95 connected via my HDMI 1 input here are my finding in light of your questions;

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Yes

The only thing that I found changed was in question #2 and that if I unplugged the power to my unit (going on a long vacation ect) then sometimes when plugged back in it would revert to scene 1 when it was left on scene 2 prior to being unplugged.

Yamaha CX-A5000, ATI AT 2007 Amp, ATI AT 2004 Amp, Klipsch La Scala II- Main, RB 61's - Front heights, RC-62 - Center, RS-62's - Surround, RS-52's - Rear Surround, 2 Rythmik DS-1510 DIY Subwoofers each connected with Antimode Dual Core 2, Oppo BDP-95, MMF-7.1, Project Phono Box RS, XBox 360, XBox One, Oppo HA-1, TEAC PD-501HR transport, Atech Fabrication 7000 fanless HTPC and TASCAM DA-3000 SS Recorder, Kramer VS-88A Matrix Switch, Rogue Audio Pharaoh Int amp, Sony HAPZ1-ES
post #3900 of 4078 Old 02-02-2016, 05:30 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 39
It has been a long time since I've been here.
I have a V-2030 7.1 with Dual subs. X-over set at 80, speakers set to small.
The issue I am having is, and am not sure if this has happened to anyone else, is that the volume seems to be lower than it should be.
Its hard to explain, I listen at -29db. Run YPAO sounds fantastic, loud and crisp. after about 1 month, I notice that it just is not as loud as before. Re run YPAO, and it is back to normal.
I do not have a DB meter to verify, just my ears.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Aventage Rxa 1030 Receiver , Yamaha Rxa2030bl Aventage Home Theater Receiver , Yamaha Rxa3030bl Aventage Home Theater Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page