The "Official" Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A1030, RX-A2030, RX-A3030 and CX-A5000/MX-A5000 Thread - Page 138 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 758Likes

post #4111 of 4115 Old 09-13-2017, 03:58 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2664 Post(s)
Liked: 2116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post
Sadly true. They don't even play multichannel FLACs without knocking them down to stereo.
Not true.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4112 of 4115 Old 09-13-2017, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
No, no receiver right now can play back video from network sources.
Quote:
Sadly true. They don't even play multichannel FLACs without knocking them down to stereo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
Not true.
Counterexample? Remember that we're talking about DLNA/UPnP streaming directly by the receiver.

I play video and multichannel FLACs through my 1030 - but only by using my Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray player as the streamer/renderer to play them through the receiver.

Tell the 1030 to itself play a multichannel FLAC directly off the network via DLNA/UPnP and it'll play it as stereo, and it doesn't even have a function to play video over DLNA/UPnP.

Interestingly, the 1030 can act as a DLNA OpenHome renderer (of music) capable of gapless play under the control of BubbleUPnP Server (free), which makes Twonky ($20) and other DLNA/UPnP servers more useful, and allows remote access over the internet by the same programmer's Android BubbleUPnP ($5 license) and foo_upnp, his free DLNA/UPnP plugin for foobar2000 (itself also free), which serves both as a remote player and a DLNA/UPnP server itself. (Total software cost: $25.)

I have BubbleUPnP Server use Twonky as its DLNA/UPnP server because Twonky shows album art while browsing, not just while playing. (A nice perk of Android BubbleUPnP and the foobar2000 plugin is that each lets you search for things by putting in all or part of the text of any of file's tags, including text in the middle of a tag.)

The Android app not only plays music remotely but also lets you direct the playback of music or video (including volume control) by any BubbleUPnP Server-controlled renderer on the same LAN when it's on your WiFi network. And when you're at a friend's home it can let you temporarily link in your home library to play with a friend's DLNA player by putting your phone on the friend's WiFi network.

Interestingly, Yamaha doesn't even say that the 1030 is a renderer, much less a gapless OpenHome renderer!

The only thing this setup doesn't do is stream multichannel FLACs gaplessly, since the Oppo doesn't stream gaplessly, so it means switching between renderers for different purposes. I end up using the Oppo to stream everything except stereo concerts and albums that need to be streamed gaplessly, for which I use the 1030. I use the Android app on my phone to play music and video with whichever renderer is most appropriate. (In either case, it comes out through the speakers and video display attached to the receiver.)

Upstairs in my apartment, I set the phone app to play music with the foobar2000 plugin running on my computer, which invokes VLC or other video player if needed, with the output of my computer's sound card plugged into computer speakers and my upstairs stereo.

Walking around, I have the phone use its own playback system as the renderer through its speaker or headphone jack, which I use either for my headset or to patch into my car stereo's line input while driving. This way, I can listen to my own music on the road without carrying CDs or tapes around. Of course, that same rig lets me listen to internet radio with the free TuneIn app. I'm mainly a jazz, blues, and classic rock fan, but my wife, who comes from a classical background, has become a jazz fan as well.

Last edited by Philnick; 10-11-2017 at 04:42 PM.
post #4113 of 4115 Old 09-13-2017, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2664 Post(s)
Liked: 2116
Quote:
Remember that we're talking about DLNA/UPnP streaming directly by the receiver.
In that case I assume you are correct. I've never tried it.

post #4114 of 4115 Old 09-20-2017, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 3
How do remote in/out ports of Yamaha AVR work?

I bought a new (bigger) TV and the IR eye is totally blocked by the center speaker, it's not possible to relocate the TV and I prefer the center speaker at its current location (under the TV)

My Yamaha A2030 has two set of remote in/out ports, according to the manual I can plug IR emitter to the out port and it will emit IR signal, but I'm not sure how it got the signal to be emitted, from the built-in IR receiver at the AVR front or from IR receiver which I must plug one into the corresponding in port?
post #4115 of 4115 Old 10-06-2017, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by fRzzy View Post
I bought a new (bigger) TV and the IR eye is totally blocked by the center speaker, it's not possible to relocate the TV and I prefer the center speaker at its current location (under the TV)

My Yamaha A2030 has two set of remote in/out ports, according to the manual I can plug IR emitter to the out port and it will emit IR signal, but I'm not sure how it got the signal to be emitted, from the built-in IR receiver at the AVR front or from IR receiver which I must plug one into the corresponding in port?
If all else fails, use Yamaha's smartphone app, which gives access to almost every feature of these receivers, with the exception of things like the information popup screen. In many respects, the smartphone app is easier to use than running it with the remote, giving more direct access to many features than the normal remote! All you have to do is put your phone onto WiFi. If your Yamaha is connected to your LAN either wired or by WiFi, the app will find it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Aventage Rxa 1030 Receiver , Yamaha Rxa2030bl Aventage Home Theater Receiver , Yamaha Rxa3030bl Aventage Home Theater Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page