The "Official" Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A1030, RX-A2030, RX-A3030 and CX-A5000/MX-A5000 Thread - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 2870 Old 11-29-2013, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

AFAIK, all of the Aventage series to include the CX-A5000 have a 3 year warranty, although in many cases when purchased with a credit card, the card issuer will add the 4th year for free (Amex will for sure as will some MC/Visa as well).

Maybe it is a Canada thing but the Aventage series Warranty in Canada is 4 years.

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 2870 Old 11-29-2013, 02:31 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 1300
Apparently so ... as noted by the USA Warranty below .....

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #903 of 2870 Old 11-29-2013, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

It's not that you have no control over the centre frequencies, just that the steps aren't fine enough at the low end. Each channel has 7 filters, and each filter frequency is variable in 1/3 octave steps, with 4 of the filters going as low as 31.3Hz and the other 3 starting at 500Hz.

There is precendent for better filter resolution on the sub, because the RX-Z11 had it. But I wouldn't hold out much hope for current models being updated.
Thanks for the information. I guess it could be worse, but it could easily be better. How many filters are available on the sub output, and do the same limitations apply?

Steve Goff
post #904 of 2870 Old 11-29-2013, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO1 View Post

Just remembered where I came across the info regarding the dual DACs. It was from their AVENTAGE CX-A5000 Overview Video.

From the video:

"couple this processing with the musicality of dual ESS Ultra D to A converters".

So if they have done dual ESS 9016 SABRE32 Ultra DACs on each channel you get a DNR of 128dB. That is very impressive. You can get an idea of how well this compares to other pre/pros and AVRs from Dr. Rich's excellent analysis AVR - Audio Video Receiver - Build Quality: Part 1 from the Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity.

Cheers.
This could simply mean that they have two 9016s, which are 8 channel DACs, since they would need that many channels.

Steve Goff
post #905 of 2870 Old 11-29-2013, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Goff View Post

Thanks for the information. I guess it could be worse, but it could easily be better. How many filters are available on the sub output, and do the same limitations apply?

Four filters for each sub output, with the same 1/3 octave steps starting at 31.3Hz.
post #906 of 2870 Old 11-29-2013, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

Four filters for each sub output, with the same 1/3 octave steps starting at 31.3Hz.
Very unfortunate.

Steve Goff
post #907 of 2870 Old 11-30-2013, 04:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Goff View Post

This could simply mean that they have two 9016s, which are 8 channel DACs, since they would need that many channels.

True. But if you compare it to the way their literature reads between the CX-A5000 and the RXA3030 it suggests the DACs are in dual differential mode for each channel.

Cheers.
post #908 of 2870 Old 11-30-2013, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO1 View Post

True. But if you compare it to the way their literature reads between the CX-A5000 and the RXA3030 it suggests the DACs are in dual differential mode for each channel.

Cheers.
Most high end DACs, these included, have differential outputs for each channel. It does not mean they are stacking channels, though it also does not negate the possibility. The pictures Yamaha posted show only two 9016s. If they need 13 channels for 11.2 and a few for other zones that could take up all 16, though I don't know that to be the case.

Steve Goff
post #909 of 2870 Old 11-30-2013, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

The simplified schematic shown by Yamaha in presentations shows the two outputs of an ES9016 channel feeding the two inputs of a "high grade op amplifier," which has a "special resistor" in the feedback loop. This part of the circuit is labeled the "amplitude & filter circuit," and looks fairly typical. It feeds the volume control, which in turn feeds separate single-ended and differential output buffers.

Steve Goff
post #910 of 2870 Old 12-01-2013, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Just picked up the Xmas 2013 edition of the Home Cinema Choice (High Performance Sound & Vision) magazine from the UK. It has a very good review of the CX-A5000. The details of this edition are available here.
Quote:
Worth waiting for

Yamaha's CX-A5000/MX-A5000 Aventage combo may not be for the faint-hearted, but this long-awaited flagship will fast-track you to the best AV thrill ride in town. In terms of sheer might and depth, no other home theatre product I've used has come close...

Highs: Herculean muscle; dazzling dynamics; deep calibration modes; comprehensive connectivity; outstanding design and build quality
Lows: Head-scratching complex to optimize; no THX post-processing; fuzzy UI; only two HDMI outputs; can sound a touch hard
Performance: 5 stars
Design: 4.5 stars
Features: 4.5 stars
Overall: 5 stars

As well, the magazine also includes a special AVTech media Awards booklet inside the plastic covering. The CX-A5000/MX-A5000 wins the award for Best AV Pre/Power Amp. Details of the awards are available here.
Quote:
With this luxurious duo, Yamaha has delivered a cinema solution that impresses with both its powerful audio performance and its supreme flexibility - a true successor to the company's legendary DSP-Z11 AV receiver, only now in separates form. Whatever speaker setup you want to drive, the Yamaha pairing will happily accommodate it, thanks to the class-leading 11-channel MX-A5000 power amp and the CX-A5000's plethora of DSP modes. Want to run height, width and rear surround speakers? No problem. Sound quality excels with supreme detail retrieval, directionality and sheer presence - multichannel movie mixes spring to life with effortless intensity. A remarkable setup.

Please note that none of these articles are yet available online so go buy the magazine wink.gif

Cheers.
post #911 of 2870 Old 12-02-2013, 01:37 PM

Liked: 10
Hi Guys,

My CX-A5000 has duly arrived and looks suitably impressive sitting on its rack. However one problem. It has nowhere to go.
My new amp should be on its way later this week from Emotiva-XPA-5 -but it looks like I will be unable to get the rest of my theatre finished until early 2014. There is still painting, carpeting, fixing screen and the PJ to the ceiling.
I therefore will have no display to help set up the Yamaha and I want to listen at least to some music-hopefully some MC- over the holiday season.

How easy is the Yamaha to set up using the front panel alone?

Any tips would be appreciated.
post #912 of 2870 Old 12-02-2013, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by john hunter View Post

Hi Guys,

My CX-A5000 has duly arrived and looks suitably impressive sitting on its rack. However one problem. It has nowhere to go.
My new amp should be on its way later this week from Emotiva-XPA-5 -but it looks like I will be unable to get the rest of my theatre finished until early 2014. There is still painting, carpeting, fixing screen and the PJ to the ceiling.
I therefore will have no display to help set up the Yamaha and I want to listen at least to some music-hopefully some MC- over the holiday season.

How easy is the Yamaha to set up using the front panel alone?

Any tips would be appreciated.

I can't help with using the front panel only as I haven't tried it. I suspect that it won't be fun, though. Two other possibilities though would be to try the web based interface for setting it up (more detailed than the GUI, though not as user friendly), or maybe plug a PC monitor that has an HDMI input into it for the setup. In fact, I use one of these as my 2nd monitor with my projector as the primary to avoid having to turn the projector on when just listening to music. Works great and the PC monitor has the added plus of going into and out of standby based on whether the CX-A5000 is sending it a signal or not. wink.gif
post #913 of 2870 Old 12-02-2013, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 140
If you can't connect a display, then I would connect a network cable (at least temporarily) and use the web browser interface to set it up. By default it should get an IP address via DHCP, so check your router to get the address and then type that into a web browser with "/setup" after it.
post #914 of 2870 Old 12-02-2013, 07:44 PM

Liked: 17
Plug in your fronts and hit pure direct.
Mad Norseman likes this.

GAMERTAG: ORYX

post #915 of 2870 Old 12-03-2013, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redoryx View Post

Plug in your fronts and hit pure direct.

+1

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5508 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp Atlantic technology System 350 THX Ultra speakers
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Pioneer SC37 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 5009/906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
post #916 of 2870 Old 12-03-2013, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member

Everyone,

As a CX-A5000 owner I posted a firmware update request with Yamaha yesterday to add the capability to play Apple Lossless (ALAC) formats over a NAS. I got a reply this morning that they have no firm plans right now but are considering it seriously. If you are like me and have a lot of iTunes Apple Lossless files accessible over a NAS please go online with Yamaha support and request a firmware upgrade. If they get enough requests they are more likely to implement this feature, ideally for all the current Aventage line.

Thanks.

Cheers.
post #917 of 2870 Old 12-03-2013, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Anybody running the CX-A5000 with the following channels - it is not listed as one of the "suggested options" in the manual, but it's how I want to do it... 9.1

Front:
Left
Center
Right
Sub

Surrounds:
Left
Right
Back Left & right- debating on direct radiating and dipole/bipole
Sur Presence Left & Right- considering in ceiling speakers

Yes, this means 6 speakers for the surrounds. Just wondering if anyone else has done it this way and found it to be incredibly expansive, OR overkill? I cannot do front presence speakers due to a sloped ceiling.

My room is 13ft wide. My surround back speakers would be at ear height about 6ft apart. The surround presence speakers would probably be in ceiling, and about 1 ft further out (wider) from the surround back speakers.

Overkill, or awesome surround experience (looking to give the sense of a deep and wide room).

Stieger

We Make Home Theater A Reality
post #918 of 2870 Old 12-03-2013, 01:52 PM

Thanks for the input. I see I'm in for some fun.
post #919 of 2870 Old 12-03-2013, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Will let everyone know how it sounds with my setup once I get it all dialed in this weekend.

post #920 of 2870 Old 12-04-2013, 02:04 AM

I have an a3030 and it's setup with biamp in the main zone and 2nd zone amplified.

The main zone is set as unprocessed audio with a sub.

We use the 2nd zone for outdoor speakers adjacent to the main room.

The problem is 2 fold.

1) we use squeezeboxes for music streaming and if you have a nearby sqeezebon on whilst the main zone is on you get a big delay in the main zone. I've messed with audio delay on the squeezebox, but it's more than the adjustable 1000ms. If you use pure direct on the amp it's close enough to be ok.
2) the 2nd zone is delayed when it plays the same source as the main zone. The squeezebox is connected via spdif so perhaps analog might help so I might try that.

Using pure direct removes the delay but the 2nd zone is no available in that mode.

We used to use the A/B speakers on the old yamaha for the main/outdoor so hence there was no delay.

Does anyone have any ideas?

One idea is to run a parallel feed from the squeezebox to another amp for the outdoor speakers and use pure direct in the main zone. This might work ok.

Thanks

Byron
post #921 of 2870 Old 12-04-2013, 03:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 820
There is no benefit to biamping with the AVR unless you have bypassed or defeated the crossovers in your speakers. That wont solve your problem but it will free up a couple of channels.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #922 of 2870 Old 12-04-2013, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 139
unless the receiver has internal crossovers that can be configured to the exact crossover point and slopes (plus any notch filter for metal tweeters' oil can" resonance and level controls to match up for any attenuation of the tweeter in the speaker's crossover, you can take the crossover out of the speaker but you either have to replace it with another high-level (versus line level) crossover or kill your tweeters immediately when they get their first taste of say 40 Hz at full power. To actively biamp you need the crossover before the power amp and you just can't get there with any receiver I know of.

which is to say that like Bond 007 and many others here, I've reached the conclusion that biamping with a receiver is of no real benefit.
post #923 of 2870 Old 12-04-2013, 02:30 PM

I bi-amped because I had spare channels and I should have more power when running 2.x with 4 amps vs 2.
The speakers had the dual terminals and a crossover on the tweeter.

It seems to work as expected and I can drive them harder and louder than before so it's all good.

However that's not the issue. I guess it would free up some extra channels but I can only use them as an extra zone, which will have the same time delay issues.

I just don't understand why the delay is so bad, or at a minimum why can't the amp ensure that if the same source is sent to 2 zones it's synchronized.

Very frustrating.

Byron
post #924 of 2870 Old 12-04-2013, 04:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by byronlobo View Post

I bi-amped because I had spare channels and I should have more power when running 2.x with 4 amps vs 2.
The speakers had the dual terminals and a crossover on the tweeter.

It seems to work as expected and I can drive them harder and louder than before so it's all good.

However that's not the issue. I guess it would free up some extra channels but I can only use them as an extra zone, which will have the same time delay issues.

I just don't understand why the delay is so bad, or at a minimum why can't the amp ensure that if the same source is sent to 2 zones it's synchronized.

Very frustrating.

Byron
You really should read this:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1492314/question-on-bi-amping

post #925 of 2870 Old 12-05-2013, 02:29 AM

Hi There!

I have upgrade from the RX-Z7 to the A-3030 and I sold the RX-Z7 to my father in law. I have misplaced the YPAO thiny for the RX-Z7, is the A-3030 one compatible so I can loan it to him?
post #926 of 2870 Old 12-05-2013, 05:25 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post

Anybody running the CX-A5000 with the following channels - it is not listed as one of the "suggested options" in the manual, but it's how I want to do it... 9.1

Front:
Left
Center
Right
Sub

Surrounds:
Left
Right
Back Left & right- debating on direct radiating and dipole/bipole
Sur Presence Left & Right- considering in ceiling speakers

Yes, this means 6 speakers for the surrounds. Just wondering if anyone else has done it this way and found it to be incredibly expansive, OR overkill? I cannot do front presence speakers due to a sloped ceiling.

My room is 13ft wide. My surround back speakers would be at ear height about 6ft apart. The surround presence speakers would probably be in ceiling, and about 1 ft further out (wider) from the surround back speakers.

Overkill, or awesome surround experience (looking to give the sense of a deep and wide room).

Stieger

I am running the same setup albeit, I am running front presence instead of rear presence. I run Klipsch RB-61 as my front height speakers and Klipsch RS-52's as my surround and surround back speakers supported by RF-63's as my front and a Klipsch RC-52 as my center. I like this setup and it sound amazing when watching movies. I also have a Polk sub and rythmik 15" DIY downfiring sub connected so it is in essents a 9.2 system at the moment. I am exploring the option of adding rear presence speakers to boost it up to a true 11.2 system but my room size and layout is difficult to incorporate those last two speakers.

My System

Yamaha CX-A5000
ATI AT 2007 Amp
ATI AT 2004 Amp
Oppo BDP-95
Xbox 360s
Carver Tape Deck
DBX 224X (for tape deck)
HTPC
Sony Mini Disk player
2 X Panamax 5300

Yamaha CX-A5000, ATI AT 2007 Amp (7X200W), ATI AT 2004 Amp (4X200W)
Klipsch RF 63's - Main, RB 61's - Front heights, RC-62 - Center, RS-62's - Surround, RS-52's - Rear Surround
2 Rythmik DS-1510 DIY Subwoofers (With PEQ600XLR3 Amp) each connected with Antimode 8033S-II
post #927 of 2870 Old 12-05-2013, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty8451 View Post

I am running the same setup albeit, I am running front presence instead of rear presence. I run Klipsch RB-61 as my front height speakers and Klipsch RS-52's as my surround and surround back speakers supported by RF-63's as my front and a Klipsch RC-52 as my center. I like this setup and it sound amazing when watching movies. I also have a Polk sub and rythmik 15" DIY downfiring sub connected so it is in essents a 9.2 system at the moment. I am exploring the option of adding rear presence speakers to boost it up to a true 11.2 system but my room size and layout is difficult to incorporate those last two speakers.

My System

Yamaha CX-A5000
ATI AT 2007 Amp
ATI AT 2004 Amp
Oppo BDP-95
Xbox 360s
Carver Tape Deck
DBX 224X (for tape deck)
HTPC
Sony Mini Disk player
2 X Panamax 5300

I'm running two systems with 11.2 channels. In my living room I have a CX-A5000 with Outlaw Audio amps (a 7900 and 4 2200s) and two Definitive Technology Trinity Signature subwoofers. In my den I have a RX-A3030 and am using an Emotiva Mini-X a-100 to power the rear presence speakers (since the a3030 comes with only 9 channels) and two NHT Sub2i subwoofers. My living room is roughly 20x22x10 so I don't find the number of channels/speakers overkill (rather enjoyable, in fact). With my den though, it probably is overkill. It's only 12x14x8 and if nothing else, it seems that there are speakers just about everywhere you look when in that room. smile.gif
TKO1 likes this.
post #928 of 2870 Old 12-05-2013, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

What's your thoughts on the Emotiva? I'm debating removing my Crown Pro Amps (xls series) and replacing them with an Emotiva to power all my surround speakers (off by one channel). Anyway, I am going to be running my front 3 with a Bryston 6bSST, so can't wait to get that bad boy in the rack!

Curious if the Outlaw is overkill for surround speakers?

Thanks,

stieger

post #929 of 2870 Old 12-05-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

You really should read this:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1492314/question-on-bi-amping

Thank you.

I did reading elsewhere about bi-amping, and for me the decision process went like this;
1) I needed a new receiver and wanted the A3030, it had the multi zones I wanted and the price was fair. I was already familiar with yamaha
2) I had spare speaker cable
3) I had spare amp channels
4) assuming the power supply is adequate the bi amping should allow the main speakers to be driven with more power. They are rated at 200w rms each and the a3030 only does 150w per channel. Passive bi amping should be able to deliver 300w. Non criticial testing seems to show that I can drive the mains louder than before with no distortion.

So all in all it was a no cost option and a perceived upside. It might have been a waste of time, but it was only a small amount of time.

Cheers

Byron
post #930 of 2870 Old 12-05-2013, 12:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by byronlobo View Post

Thank you.

I did reading elsewhere about bi-amping, and for me the decision process went like this;
1) I needed a new receiver and wanted the A3030, it had the multi zones I wanted and the price was fair. I was already familiar with yamaha
2) I had spare speaker cable
3) I had spare amp channels
4) assuming the power supply is adequate the bi amping should allow the main speakers to be driven with more power. They are rated at 200w rms each and the a3030 only does 150w per channel. Passive bi amping should be able to deliver 300w. Non criticial testing seems to show that I can drive the mains louder than before with no distortion.

So all in all it was a no cost option and a perceived upside. It might have been a waste of time, but it was only a small amount of time.

Cheers

Byron
Fair enough. Just wanted to make sure you were informed. What you choose to do is your business. Enjoy.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Aventage Rxa 1030 Receiver , Yamaha Rxa2030bl Aventage Home Theater Receiver , Yamaha Rxa3030bl Aventage Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page